View Poll Results: How would you rate The Changing Of The Guardian?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5:There is nothing to change to this episode.

2 1.98%
  • 4/5:There is very little to change to this episode.

10 9.90%
  • 3/5:Some things could be changed, but atleast it was not the worst episode ever.

35 34.65%
  • 2/5:The writers really needed a guardian while writing this episode.

30 29.70%
  • 1/5: Ahh, change it!

24 23.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: The Changing Of The Guardian (RABF04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: The Changing Of The Guardian (RABF04)

January 27th 2013:After surviving a tornado, Marge and Homer seek out guardians for the kids, in case the worst should happen. They first turn to friends and family, including Homer’s half-brother, Herb Powell (guest voice Danny DeVito) with whom to entrust their kids, but when Bart and Lisa fall in love with a super-cool couple, Mav (Hank Azaria) and Portia (guest voice Rashida Jones), Marge starts to question their potential guardians’ true motivations.

Discuss!

Junior Camper

Well that was pretty terrible 1/5

Blog Entries

I wish Herb had more than just one line, since we hadn't heard from him in like 20 years, but you can't have everything, I guess. The couple I kind of liked, but they seemed a little bland. Overall, I'll give it a 3/5.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not the worst ever, but this was like a bunch of random stuff that happened that led to a non-existent conflict that ended because the show ran out of time.

I started watching Fox tonight when the Cleveland Show was turning Japanese and that was loads better than this.

2/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

i think there were misplaced priorities. "nothing beats your biological family" would have been a more suitable summary of the episode if any substantial development had occurred. we didn't see how the kids became attached to the new couple (instead we saw homer and marge ice skating, or something), and we didn't see how homer and marge ended up adapting to life without kids (apart from said ice skating). like jake said, not terrible, not obnoxious, and there were a few funny parts here and there. but essentially some random stuff leading to a resolution of a conflict which never really existed.

2/5
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Too tired to do the four-act breakdown this week, so...

Unkie Herb and Ling? That made me very happy! ("Help me!" HA!)
    That "swinging" joke was horrible.
    The resolution in the fourth act was a little like a sudden and uncalled for slap in the face.

Not bad, not great. It was like vanilla ice cream... It's ice cream and you're glad you're having it, but you'd still rather be having chocolate ice cream. I dunno, I'm old and tired.
    Skibbidy shaba doo doo, and a 3/5 for you.

EDIT: I had no idea Danny DeVito was going to appear in this episode, so the short cameo didn't upset me that much.
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 01-29-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

It felt like a rehash of a minor scene in Hurricane Neddy, but I got some enjoyment out of it. The fantasy sequence with God's vacuum cleaner was one of the best imagination bits they've done in a long time. And the bit with Homer wanting Marge to be saved ahead of him felt sweet without it being tacked on.

ACT TWO:

Well, we're in act two and I'm still enjoying myself. If I can enjoy myself through the next two acts, then this episode will be a success. I know the big "fuck you" to the fans with Herb's first appearence in 20 years being an off-screen voice will rub people the wrong way, but I kinda liked it. And also, we also got another rarity: a Gil joke that was actually FUNNY. But... there's still the problem of the plot being developed a little too late...

ACT THREE:

For once, we got a good guest star that's actually being put to good use. I'd definitely labed Rashida Jones's performance the best since Martin Landau's performance in Simpsina. Homer and Marge's overreaction at the end was just hilarious and I'm genuinely curious as to where it ends up.

ACT FOUR:

Well, like I said in act two, the plot was developed a little too late, so they seemed too much in a hurry to wrap things up. Still, I enjoyed this episode all the way up to the end.

OVERALL:

Despite a few pacing problems, I found this a solid and enjoyable episode. The best of the season so far and I give it a solid 4/5 (B+)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Where was Ned? I thought he would show up as a possible choice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    Where was Ned? I thought he would show up as a possible choice.
    He and Maude took care of the Neglectarinos back in S7.

Blog Entries

A very forgettable episode with a lack of standout laughs. Mostly just random bits being thrown around, but they didn't stick. Like other people have stated, the climax felt a bit rushed, too. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed the first half much more than when the couple got involved. The use of established secondary characters was enjoyable such as Lenny and Carl, Grampa, Wiggum and Lou, Kirk and Luanne, Cletus, the Hibberts, even Gil and the Rich Texan were all fine...plus Patty and Selma later. The couch gag was good and quick. I woulda liked more Herb but was spoiled weeks ago on his appearance so I knew what to expect. I guess they decided to age up Ling like the octuplets. Now she's clearly older than Maggie and I suspect that will bother some, but I don't mind it. Once the couple got involved things became slower from a feeling point of view, but much quicker from a story-telling point of view. They acknowledge this in the episode but it still felt kinda weak in that regard. I think I enjoyed this about as much as the previous premiere so a 3.5 or so rounded up. If they can keep this level up for the rest of the season I'll be happy.

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    i guess they made a conscious effort not to remind us of that (far superior) episode.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good, short intro and couch gag. Thank you for that.

This episode, overall, was adequate. I liked that there was no subplot so we could focus on one story. It was made believable enough that they were concerned about finding other guardians, due to the tornado situation. The other family seemed all right, but they weren't really explored too much, so it was hard to believe that they would willingly be the kids' guardians. It seemed abrupt, and I just couldn't buy how they loved the kids and took them in, simply because the characters weren't fleshed out enough. I think they could've gotten rid of some of the tornado stuff at the beginning and the frantic searches to find guardians to introduce the characters sooner and show why there would be a legitimate reason for them wanting to take the kids in.

But it wasn't all bad. Like I said, the family's motive was believable, and the characterizations seemed good enough. I also think the episode ended well enough

3/5

Blog Entries

I didn't see the intro/couch gag stuff. What was it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LOL View Post
    The best parts of the episode.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

3/5. If the beginning continued, it would've been a 4/5. Some things I didn't like:

- They could've easily played a different game in the beginning.
    - Why would they leave the kids home ALONE during a TWISTER? What kind of parents would do that?
    - The singing in the van.
    - Everyone including the Hibberts not wanting to be guardians for The Simpsons. I mean, didn't Dr. Hibbert like Lisa to be a babysitter for his kids?

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The couch is in a dunk tank. Nelson throws a ball at a target and they all fall under the water. Homer resurfaces face-down.

Blog Entries

The family sit on the couch, we pan out to see it's on one of those water booths you see at carnivals. Nelson hits the target and they fall in, but Homer clearly drowns.

EDIT: dunk tanks that's what they're called.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

Couch gag was pretty good, btw. Loving the couch gags this season. Very short and to the point.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

Blog Entries

Don't know if it was mentioned in the couch gag thread(likely) but they're down to three for that contest. One was a dandelions motif and another called revenge of the couch, I missed whatever the third was.

This was a pretty average episode, not great, not bad.

I say this a lot these days, but we didn't need to start off with the opening we got. Skip the tornado, why not just have Homer and Marge in a quick situation that makes them come to the realization that Bart and Lisa might need someone to look after them? Still, it had a few good jokes, most of which had to do with parodying the Wizard of Oz, and it didn't take too much time out of the plot. Overall, I really liked the idea of this episode. It's a serious subject matter when you think of it, but it's also completely believable that they would be concerned about this. I liked the series of visits to other families, exhausting the search on family and friends, and while it went on a little long, I liked the gag of Homer and Marge being shunned by the crowds. It's a funny thought to think of when of the established characters getting the final call, but it probably would have seemed weird for Homer and Marge to settle on characters we already know, so I guess I'm glad that they decided to create new characters for this plot. The problem is, the episode really doesn't let us get to know them. All we really get is that from the outside, they seem like a nice couple, but even by the end, after they have seemingly done something dastardly, we just don't know enough about them to really get concerned with what is going on. I was wondering how dark they were going to get with the whole situation, like maybe we find out that the other couple have wicked motives behind them for the kids or for Homer and Marge (murder the parents, and you get their kids!), or if Bart and Lisa would become so enamored with them that they abandon their parents. I'm glad they didn't get too wacky or cliche with the plot, but what we got still felt very thin. The couple didn't seem to have much personality to them, we never get to know them, and heck we could have used some more time watching them bond with the kids so that we could buy that they would go as far as they do to keep them. Even so, I kind of wish they had gone farther, or if this development had happened earlier in the episode so that there could be more weight to the situation. All in all, it's a frightening idea to have your kids being taken by another family, and heartbreaking to think that they might be better off with someone else, so given the gravity of these events, this really deserved more time.

I might sound overly negative, but again, this wasn't a bad episode at all. The story was paced reasonably well until the end of the third act, and while I wanted more time spent with the ideas and issues they brought up, I was glad to see Homer and Marge bring them up to begin with. And I was glad to see the characters conclude the episode maturely instead of having a big over-the-top battle for the children. I guess in the end I give this episode a 3/5. There are worse things I could be saying than "I liked what they were doing, I just wanted them to go further".
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Wow, what a pleasant surprise! This might just be the best episode Rob LaZebnik has ever written; granted, that's not saying much, but wow nonetheless. Homer was on-point in this episode, and I loved the couple dynamic here between Homer and Marge as they tried to deal with a very difficult situation (although how they came to consider Cletus and Brandine as potential guardians is beyond me). The singing bit was annoying, but I liked "God's vacuum cleaner", the couch gag, Homer's unenthusiastic "woo-hoo", Lisa's swooning over her new mother figure, and Maggie burping herself. It's the little things, I suppose. At any rate, this was a highlight for the season for me so far.

Worst of the season so far 1,25/5 or 1 in the poll.
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Like others have said: not great, but not bad. Middle of the road episode. At least I'm very happy to say that nothing was outright negative about the episode for me.

Act 1 was a lot of fun, great sight gags of the town in disarray. Aside from the extended "Ahhhhhh" joke, I thought it was pretty funny. Act 2 was also enjoyable, good use of little seen characters like Ling and Herb (even if we didn't see him) and lots of funny bits with secondary characters. The moving about in the crowd bit went on a bit too long, but I liked the Gil gag at the end.

Unfortunately, Acts 3 and 4 were just too bland. The cool couple were just that, they were cool and were a perfect fit for Bart, Lisa and Maggie. So they were perfect guardians. Episode could have ended there, but instead the cool couple take the kids for a few weeks, and like Nebuchanezzar noted we neither see Homer & Marge really adapting to a childless life (which doesn't make much sense, since the point of guardians is that you're dead and they take care of your kids) nor do we see the kids really interacting with the cool couple much. In the end we have the christmas card photo, and I was actually waiting for a wacky twist where the couple have some evil scheme, but it ended up being a non-issue and there was no real conflict. So the family goes back home and the lesson is you're stuck with the family you have.

Two fun acts, two bland acts = 3/5 from me. Liked this one far more than Moonshine River, Gone Abie Gone and Penny Wise-Guys.
    UP AND ATOM!

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Besides, it would've been weird having Krabappel as Bart's mom. :P

Kind of a boring episode. The plot's sort of been done before, and all we got was the same tired gags.

One thing that drives me crazy is how the new babies in the series are growing up, while Maggie stays the same age. First, Apu's octuplets became toddlers, now Ling. Why?

2.0/5

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meh not very funny but not very bad....a VERY middle of the road average episode. No harm done I suppose. I'll give it a 2.5/5 rounded up to a 3. I hate that Modern Simpsons is so reliant on changing characters for the sake of a joke. There was no need to grow Ling for a very lame joke. If you need to change characters to make a "joke" work then the joke isn't worth making! Also Herb deserved more....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

It was okay. The plot was weak but it had a few solid jokes. The cool couple was bland, and I was disappointed by how short Herbs appearance was in the episode, I did like the one line he had though. Meh 3/5.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

2/5 - I admit I like the episodes where each act is a different story, but that's not what I meant...and what kind of an ending was that?

Written by Rob Lazebnik
    Directed by Bob Anderson
    Chalkboard: none
    Couch: The couch is in a dunk tank; Nelson dunks everybody
    Special Guest Voice: Danny DeVito, Rashida Jones
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly, Terry W. Greene, Maggie Roswell
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

Carl gets his information from Wiccapedia

The babysitter's phone number is 555-1231; looks like somebody forgot that phone numbers are supposed to be 555-01 something something

"Springfield is not in..." THE NEXT WORD YOU TYPE HAD BETTER NOT BE "CONNECTICUT" I'll just wait over there...

Herb's phone number has 13 digits (maybe he lives out of the country?)

Ling speaks English

When Lisa is looking through her colored glass, Marge is barefoot, but in the next shot, Marge is wearing her red shoes

When Homer and Marge are driving up the mountain road, the road curves behind them as if it's one long right turn, but the buildings in the background don't move

Looks like Maggie Roswell lost her place as one of the "important" regulars; she's credited after Pamela and Tress (which is where she would normally be credited, in alphabetical order, but she's also credited after Chris Edgerly and Terry W. Greene, who in turn are both credited after Pamela and Tress)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Some of the jokes landed.. but overall this one just fell flat.

Not good... not terrible... very meh.

Blog Entries

The Changing of the Guardian
    This episode has done a mediocre job on setting a plot and storyline. I felt that the ending was less substantial than it should have been in relation to the topic. It has also set foundations on randomness, which is not really “bad” in this case, but could’ve led in to a more solid idea. I’d say that the episode could focus more concentric around the kids’ interactions with Mav and Portia to outline the significance of their new relationship-- explore the problems they may have between the relationships before separating and making Lisa’s conclusion of “Nothing beats your biological family (!)” Concurrently, a visual interaction would also requite for the characterization of the kids’ after the past few episodes (E.G: Lisa’s subplot this season so far).

The guest star compatibility in the episode was pretty good overall, but like aforementioned, Mav and Portia would have more potential if we saw more dialogue and behavioral during Marge and Homer’s absence of “having fun”. That being said, some of the plot structure did seem kind of forced in, such as Homer and Marge’s cheesy dialogues of saying any dialogue in relation to something like “I love the kids”. Now Herb’s “appearance” was not even an appearance, and I could vaguely make out Herb true voice with that one-liner—another huge disappointment after not seeing him for a long time. )To be honest, I think Herb deserves another episode in showing how he became broke again; getting some ideas down, it could be another emotional episode if it had been thought thoroughly and pre-planned). Moreover, Lisa’s conscience appeared dry when setting a conclusive statement that “my mom will always be my mom”—another line delivery that spawned out of the miniscule-conflicted storyline. Lisa has shown high admiration towards Portia, but her justification was to deny the guardians because they are biologically raised by Marge and Homer. Establish a conflict and it would’ve been more successful.

Jokes in this episode are a hit-or-miss, and some dialogues ran on a little too long, definitively ruining its purpose of being delivered. But the jokes are compensated just a little by maintaining steady visuals throughout the first and second act. I found the first act quite visually propelled and somewhat fun to watch-- except for Homer, Lenny, and Carl’s long scream, quite unnecessary but I’ll forget it quickly. I also liked Patty and Selma raising Ling with “Tiger parenting”, looks like it’s really not much difference from our stereotypical views of Chinese parenting. As for Ling’s aging; it didn’t really bother me much because we seldom see her.

Summarizing the episode as a whole; it started out quite visually propelled and decently dialogued, but I believe that the writer prioritized the wrong focus. Mav and Portia should be getting more attention here so the audience can see a more substantial development in the characters—the one-time characterization isn’t bad, but there wasn’t really much foresight in their significance. The kids should also be seen more, but was primarily layered over by Homer and Marge having fun. Humor was a hit-or-miss, some were decent, some deserved chuckles, some are just not suitable. The writers lacking crucial elements are recurring issues in every episode this season so far; the writers are not expanding on characterization to their full potential (But have attempted to complete their characters with a few dialogues), nor are they setting a conclusive theme or moral that is suitable. It’s a loose-end story that was attempted to be tied up with a conclusive phrase, but failed to pinpoint the exact message and significance of the plot through an unequal focus during the storyboard process. Summing up, my final verdict would be a 2.5/5, rounded to a three on the polls. Had there been a better prioritized focus to create a stronger conclusion/premise, it would’ve been a four. Quite very average and probably forgettable episode.
    Last edited by Robotics; 01-28-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Thread Information