View Poll Results: How would you rate this short?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Pretty damn good, Phil.

4 23.53%
  • 4/5 I can dig it.

6 35.29%
  • 3/5 Hey, this ain't bad.

3 17.65%
  • 2/5 Get out there and get into shape, boy!

4 23.53%
  • 1/5 I said scram!

0 0%

Thread: Rate and Review: "Bart the Hero" (Ullman short MG34)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Bart the Hero" (Ullman short MG34)

Original Airdate: January 29, 1989
    Writer: Matt Groening
    Animators: Wesley Archer and David Silverman
    Synopsis: When Bart goes to the candy store for a candy bar, he unwittingly foils a robbery attempt and becomes a hero.
    YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m8KuYkie_Q

Blog Entries

Overall it's a pretty mediocre short. The set-up is rather artificial, the action is clumsy, a lot of it is just too unbelievable even for a cartoon (Bart gently bumps into the fat robber, which knocks him out, and nets Bart a $10,000 reward? yeah ok), and worst of all it's not particularly funny.

Still, I like the glimpses we get of the outside world (notice there's a dog house in the front yard...) and how the ending mirrors the ending of "The Old Man and the Lisa." Plus, the idyllic 1950s-esque world where children know the name of the local candy store proprietor being besieged by possibly violent crime (although we don't see any weapons), feels like a very Simpsonsy concept.

Speaking of crime, the character of the robber is somewhat troubling. He appears to be a minority, as indicated by his complexion, yet his specific ethnicity is ambiguous; we just know that he's "different" from Bart, Chupo, the police officer, and the newscaster. He exists as an otherized, homogenized Non-Caucasian. Also, his nose is connected to his "muzzle," which doesn't appear to make any anatomical sense, and has the effect of making him look like an ape. These are rather unfortunate choices, especially given that he might be one of the few minorities in the shorts. Yet there's kind of a childish naivete to the design that might mitigate the racial implications somewhat - he's wearing that not-very-effective eye mask that signifies criminals in cartoons and literally carries a bag with a dollar sign on it; he looks like he might've came straight out of Matt Groening's fifth grade sketchbook. The situation is too broad and absurd for the audience to take any of it seriously, which would later become the go-to defense whenever the issue of the show's ethnic stereotypes is broached.

The highlight of the short is the delightful mouth animation on the proto-Kent Brockman newscaster "Phil." You can tell the animators were getting more and more confident in Groening's style and just having fun with it.

DICK MOVE! Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm disgusted that Marge was absent from this short, utterly, utterly disgusted...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Comicshow MolemanBob View Post
    I'm disgusted that Marge was absent from this short, utterly, utterly disgusted...
    she appears to be trapped in a picture frame but is nevertheless thrilled for her son's success

I like how in the shorts the pictures on the wall reflect how they would react to the kids adventures (Homer looking pissed off in several pictures for example).
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Blog Entries

David Silverman would have animated the scenes of Bart colliding with the robber, and Homer and Lisa bouncing around at home. Looks like he did Bart getting inerviewed by the newscaster, too. Wes Archer does Bart jogging, and when he announces his rewarding in candy bars.
    Last edited by zartok-35; 12-29-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Homer was ANGRY at the idea of being paid in $10,000 worth of candy bars?

How times have changed...
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Incredibly mediocre.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Comicshow MolemanBob View Post
    Hey, in Krusty Gets Kancelled, Marge doesn't talk either (she appears in the background though).

Banned
    Blog Entries

This might be the store where they go out for frosty chocolate milkshakes, if the sign in the background reigns true.

I liked it 5/5 for me

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They could have easily turned this into a butterfinger commercial.

Also, it's as if I have seen the face of that bandit on one of those wanted posters in the early seasons of the regular series. Not sure, but he seems familiar.

Is it about my cube? Cornerstone's Avatar

I love it. Homer's scream at the end makes it. 4/5
    1. And Maggie Makes Three
    2. Lisa On Ice
    3. Duffless
    4. Lisa Gets an 'A'
    5. The Otto Show

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

This short felt pretty damn good.

5/5 candy bars.

Thread Information