View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Number 8...err Santa's Little Helper!

32 27.12%
  • 4/5 Oh Bongo we miss you so.....

38 32.20%
  • 3/5 Help control the pet population have your pets spayed or neutered.

28 23.73%
  • 2/5 Aw forget it let's go!

18 15.25%
  • 1/5 You've come in last for the last time!

2 1.69%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: To Cur, With Love (RABF01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate and Review: To Cur, With Love (RABF01)

December, 16th 2012: When a fire at the retirement home forces Grampa to move back in with the Simpsons, Homer throws out his back on moving day. While “resting” at home, he gets hooked on the super-addictive tablet game, “Villageville.” And, in his distraction, he loses the family dog, Santa’s Little Helper. Everyone is angry with Homer for not seeming to care about the missing dog, but Grampa tells them the story of Homer’s long-lost childhood pup, Bongo.

Blog Entries

That was pretty sad... 4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

So some of us caught it?? How was it?
    UP AND ATOM!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Due to the tragedy in Connecticut, we had the prayer service on all the way until the regular network started playing the credits.

So if some of you saw it in it's entirety, maybe put in some spoiler warnings, please.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

That wasn't bad, surprisingly deep. The ending was excellent. I'll give this one a 3.6 out of 5.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spoilers Possible Apparently...

Well I thought it was alright but given my high hopes it seems particularly disappointing. The Homer and Bongo story was fine if you ignore the numerous contradictions with previous flashback episodes, but I wish it had been given more time. The opening to get the home on fire was particularly not needed/boring. The best joke of the episode was the Herman moment and then book runner. Harry Shearer just sounds so lifeless as Mr. Burns anymore I don't know if it's age or just that he doesn't care, but his Herman for one line sounded identical to "Bart the General" all those years ago. I know this is a continuity issue and it is kinda petty but why wasn't Smithers Sr. voiced by Hank Azaria? It bugged me. Anyway not too much else to say on a first watch I'll give it a 3/5 but again I was hoping for more.

Tell Us What it Am SchmatisfiedHomer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reason, Boots. For once, I'm fine with something interrupting the episode.

Anyway, judging by what others says, it's basically what I thought it would be. Still haven't seen it, though.
    My Favorite Episodes: Homer's Barbershop Quartet, Itchy and Scratchy Land, Homer and Apu, Burns' Heir, and Rosebud.
    My Least Favorite Episodes: Elementary School Musical, Lisa Goes Gaga, Kill the Alligator and Run, Saddleshore Galactica, and The Ten-Per-Cent Solution.
    "Kids, kids, you tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is...never try." ~Homer Simpson
    "I just think they're neat." ~Marge Simpson on potatoes
    "If anyone needs me, I'll be in my room." ~Lisa Simpson and her "catchphrase"
    "Why did you leave me here when I clearly need medical attention?" ~Bart Simpson on Lisa thinking love can heal him
    "(suck, suck)" Maggie Simpson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    The best joke of the episode was the Herman moment.
    But, I thought he lost his arm when he stuck his arm out of a school bus?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I saw it all! It was in fact heart warming and I enjoyed it.

It explains the origins of many things including Hermans missing arm and Grandpa's slippers.

I'll give it a 4/5... even though it was more like a 3/5.

Al Jean adding on the 'fiscal cliff Mr. Burns riff' was dumb at the end.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 12-16-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Hey, I said ignore the continuity issues!

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Did it explain who shot grandpa's hat??

Blog Entries

TV tonight is turning into quite the bait and switch. We didn't get prempted until Bobs Burgers started!

Blog Entries

Hey, I said ignore the continuity issues!
    Well, as soon as it showed him losing his arm, I was like, "Hey, wait a minute!". Seriously though, I use to never care about continuity, but now if something breaks continuity, I usually notice at once.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Did it explain who shot grandpa's hat??
    No, but there's always next time...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow The Hedgehog View Post
    Well, as soon as it showed him losing his arm, I was like, "Hey, wait a minute!". Seriously though, I use to never care about continuity, but now if something breaks continuity, I usually notice at once.
    You pretty much have to ignore it though at this point. I'd have to watch them consecutively but I wouldn't be surprised if this somehow contradicted Gone Abie Gone even.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow The Hedgehog View Post
    But, I thought he lost his arm when he stuck his arm out of a school bus?
    IIRC they said in a commentary that it was going to be a running gag where he'd give a different reason every time

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kid Moe

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spoilers Possible Apparently...

Well I thought it was alright but given my high hopes it seems particularly disappointing. The Homer and Bongo story was fine if you ignore the numerous contradictions with previous flashback episodes, but I wish it had been given more time. The opening to get the home on fire was particularly not needed/boring. The best joke of the episode was the Herman moment and then book runner. Harry Shearer just sounds so lifeless as Mr. Burns anymore I don't know if it's age or just that he doesn't care, but his Herman for one line sounded identical to "Bart the General" all those years ago. I know this is a continuity issue and it is kinda petty but why wasn't Smithers Sr. voiced by Hank Azaria? It bugged me. Anyway not too much else to say on a first watch I'll give it a 3/5 but again I was hoping for more.
    Herman got a line? Now I definitely got to see this episode and that automatically get's 1 point from me.

Blog Entries

Eh not bad..second best of season behind The Day the earth Stood Cool. I laughed a lot and it had heart. A 4/5. Might have been 5/5 if they could make a full 21 minute episode without having to put un-related clips at the end.

Dont know why but I saw the animation of this episode weird different at the beginning
    Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps: 2/5 | The Wreck of the Relationship: 3.5/5 | Super Franchise Me: 4.5/5 | Treehouse of Horror XXV: 5/5 | Opposites A-Frack: 3/5 | Simpsorama: 4.5/5

I drink too much wine, I forget things.
    In order to remember them, I drink more wine.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonArgentina View Post
    Dont know why but I saw the animation of this episode weird different at the beginning
    Perhaps b/c of the alll new lower budget starting with this episode!???

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

When was the last time we saw Herman?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    He actually appears often in the background but this was the first time in a LONG time he had an actual line.

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

My God. Now THERE'S the show I used to love. Aside from changing Herman's backstory (which can be explained away as a cautionary falsehood he told the kids in "Bart the General,") I couldn't find a single thing to quibble with. This was among the best episodes I've seen in years. I'm not going to lie, I laughed A LOT. Too many good jokes to mention....

5/5, and I think that's the first one I've given out since "Holidays of Future Passed."

Too bad FOX decided to screw around with the broadcast of this episode. Why they'd air it in some parts of the US, and not in others, I'll never know. Maybe someone will be able to explain that soon. I'm extremely interested to see what the ratings are going to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    TV tonight is turning into quite the bait and switch. We didn't get prempted until Bobs Burgers started!
    Funny, I got to see Bob's almost in its entirety.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

f**kface von clownstick Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't seen it yet, but it's cool that Herman got a line, and that they remembered the running joke they meant to do with him, that seemed like such a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    Penny Wiseguys by my memory

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam, zartok-35

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. I loved this a lot. A good example of modern Simpsons that is actually worth seeing. This was such a sad story, that didn't depend on the emotional moments as much and the ending was just brilliant. Homer with SLH looking down at young Homer with Bongo made me smile. I had to hug my cats after this. Good humour throughout as well, the Mapple references were mild and all the flashbacks were top notch.

5/5 best of the season so far
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Blog Entries

Slightly off topic...
    So, from what I'm reading on the interwebz, FOX pulled new episodes of both "Family Guy" and "American Dad..." and SyFy had to pull an episode of a show that would have showed a shooting at a High School reunion? Is this correct?

If they pulled FG and AD... why wouldn't they pull the new Simpsons as well? Why burn a perfectly good episode like that?

Blog Entries

I think the better question is why pull it just because they pulled the others? this Simpsons was fine.

An improvement on the preceding three season 24 episodes but that's not saying much. Comparing this to the classic dog related episode 'Bart's Dog Gets an F' would be unfair because they're quite frankly not in the same league. The Professor Frink scene was a strange, and unneccessary, way to introduce the main plot but it was decent enough. It's positive that Santa's Little Helper is still recognised by the writing staff and an episode dedicated to Homer's relationship with his pet was an acceptable premise. Interestingly, the main positive of season 24 has been looking back at Grampa's past because it's oddly interesting, and Homer's difficulty with loving Santa's Little Helper being linked to his childhood is both appropriate and a good idea to build on. While we clearly see how much Homer loves Bongo, we don't see how his absence affects Homer's relationship with canines after that, although I did appreciate how Bongo's disappearance was clearly linked with Homer's deteriorating relationship with his father. The intent of emotion throughout is clear, however they didn't even get that completely spot on with the hug between Homer and Grampa eventually annoying and the main family's attitude towards Grampa while watching the retirement home in flames at the start unneccessary, although seeing an older Bongo sleeping in Homer's sweatshirt and visiting him alone was touching. What detriments this episode is that it appears to me more about Homer's relationship with Grampa, rather than Santa's Little Helper. Humour wise it was lacking, although Bart crying was sort of amusing, but for this plot I can forgive it for not being funny. What I can't forgive is more filler at the end with the whole Mr Burns/Romney clip, yes it's funny because they're both losers/Republicans but it really shouldn't cut into an episode. If they had put in as much effort into demonstrating Homer's true feelings and characterisation in the present, as they did in the past, then that would have helped towards a good episode and not an average one. Maybe I'm feeling generous but this passes...marginally.

3/5, 5/10 C-

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes, zartok-35

Blog Entries

I think the better question is why pull it just because they pulled the others? this Simpsons was fine.
    Yeah, it was fine if you saw it. It didn't air in my market. I had to DL it.
    Edit:
    The FG and AD episodes they pulled tonight must have been exceedingly tacky. I guess we'll see soon enough.
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 12-16-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Thread Information