View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Coolsville

27 20.93%
  • 4/5 Pretty-Coolsville

58 44.96%
  • 3/5 Neutralville

21 16.28%
  • 2/5 Dragsville

17 13.18%
  • 1/5 Shelbyville

6 4.65%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: The Day the Earth Stood Cool (PABF20)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: The Day the Earth Stood Cool (PABF20)

December 9th 2012: Homer wants a younger, hipper image, so he starts hanging out with Terrence and Emily, his cool new neighbors from Portland, OR. But Marge finds their trendy parenting methods extreme and Bart quickly realizes their son, T-Rex, is super-pretentious.

Blog Entries

2nd best of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

3/5 nothing bad, but nothing that stand out except maybe the look of hipster run springfield that was kind of fun

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode did prove one thing, the Simpson family is a family out of time, even though the gag was they're not 'hip' enough to be one of the cool people. It goes to show the series in need of a reboot. IMO, it showed how archaic and how much the family is a bunch of 80's/early 90's leftovers.

Anyway, as much as this seemed like Homerpalooza, but with neighbors instead of bands, this was pretty darn good and the best of this season. The only stupid part was using the formula to put out the fire, but the rest of it was pretty solid and the story felt like it had some real conflict.

A solid 4/5.

Blog Entries

GODDAMMIT JAKE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

That was pretty watchable. All the stories flowed and intertwined in a good way

Best moments included the lack of a couch gag, missing donut cart alert (Wiggum was great), "Not only do I like Van Halen, I think they're getting better", the "Temporary" tattoos (Kitty Whiskers!), MY VINYL!, "No one judges my wifes thunder bags!" and T-Rex wanting to watch TV (with commercials?!)

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ditto to what both Shadow and Redem said.

Who voiced T Rex? It really annoyed me that a 10 y/o sounded like a 40 y/o.* That was really the only problem I had with this episode. And... yes, Boots... the formula seemed like a stupid solution to the problem.

Anyways... 3/5 from me.

*It was Patton Oswalt. I liked him much better on Tim and Eric singing about tits.
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 12-11-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

As with the other three Selman episodes, the opening was shortened. But that's usually a good thing, as it usually means that there isn't that much filler. However, while there was no time wasting filler in this act, the set-up with the police looking for a doughnut cart was very weak and lame.

ACT TWO:

Kinda reminded me of that Malcolm in the Middle episode where the dad got along with the new neighbors, but the wife and kids hated them. But honestly, it made me wish that I was watching that one instead. But then the "cool" dad hates Homer all of a sudden when his kids start tussling. Err.. what? Where's the buildup? WE NEED SOME FUCKING BUILDUP!

ACT THREE:

Instead of a old fashioned parenting vs. modern parenting story that could have been interesting, we have a disjointed act with hipsters moving in. Made me wish I was watching KOTH's "Lady and Gentrification" instead, and I didn't even like that episode!

ACT FOUR:

I stopped caring. The breast feeding thing was stupid and the kid acting like a regular kid was as well.

OVERALL:

I guess it's better than A Totally Lame Thing, but far from being as good as The Food Wife or The Book Job. 3/5 (C-)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Matt Selman takes the reins again.

Clever commentary on today's "cool" culture. Much of that can be found here in Western New York, though it's not nearly as horrid as this episode suggests. Just a tell of the type of town Springfield is.

Nothing terribly funny, but a well thought-out story, with the same usual problems with puns and overdoing simple gags.

3.0/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    GODDAMMIT JAKE.
    What!?

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was very bored throughout and didn't really think much of this on a first watch. Everyone sounded off too, everyone except Lisa anyway. Patton Oswalt sounded too old to be playing a kid which left me distracted whenever he was on screen. The episode felt like it was just there and going through the motions. I did like that Bart defended his dad like I thought I would, and the thunderbags or whatever it was call back was the closest I came to laughing. 1.5/5 rounded up to a 2, only better than Moonshine River. I dunno, maybe I just didn't "get" this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    What!?
    First ep. I didn't see this season. I was fully expecting you to hate this, and now the relevation that Raspberry hates it... now I know I'd like it.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

heh, and av club already gave it a B+....as if I needed anymore proof of how often I disagree with that place

Blog Entries

But yeah, it's a 4/5 from me. I also thought that using the formula to put out the fire was kind of stupid.

Blog Entries

Don't they always give every episode at least a C+ or higher?

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

2nd best of the season is right. The middle of the episode was bad. I wish they would stay in Springfield. Low to mid 4 for me.

Some questions:

1. What'll happen to the brown house? Will it be the same brown house up until this point or remain the "Cool Brown House"?
    2. What happened to Jose Flanders? xD
    3. And what happened to George's Mansion? :P

Blog Entries

-homer's dino jacket was adorable and I actually felt bad for homer when the kid dismissed it as lame

-flanders' "lets try to change this from being the "feud network" and make it more like "comedy central"! this line got a good chuckle from me

other than that the episode was ok for episodes these days. alot of dumb parts, but I could see what they were doing with it

loves chimney stacks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not gonna watch this one until tomorrow probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    heh, and av club already gave it a B+....as if I needed anymore proof of how often I disagree with that place
    Gee, I wonder why?

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

Blog Entries

Here we go...

Banned
    Blog Entries

A lot of the jokes played and the observations on Portland hipsters were quite apt.
    Matt Selman should force Al Jean to retire.

A 4/5 from me.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Semaj

Blog Entries

I always knew compost heaps weren't to be trusted

it wasn't very cringey at all. 3/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Here we go...
    You have to see the episode to get the joke.

Blog Entries

GODDAMMIT JAKE

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Enjoyed this one quite a bit! While the "cool" culture is sure to be dated in five years, it was no different from episodes like Homerpalooza. I think what I liked the most about this episode was that it told a very tight, focused, story and had a lot of good jokes. Also, I really felt the love of the Simpson family. I have a soft spot for the episodes in which the family sticks up for each other and genuinely cares for one another. Bart's confession to Homer was a real sweet moment. Thankfully, the "Hipsters take over the town" bit was a short montage and not a string of Hipster jokes involving the many Springfield townspeople. Oh yeah, and Homer's hipster transformation took its time, which I liked. It wasn't like: one second it's Homer, the next second he's a total hipster.

As for The Simpsons themselves being "dated", I didn't get that. The Simpsons have always been timeless to me, always representing the mediocre, mildly intelligent, middle class Americans. They always have adapted to modern technology, when needed, but never become a product of their time. Heck, watching Bob's Burgers afterwards I noted that the Belchers are very similar to The Simpsons in that timeless middle class family sort of way (but not as much of a blatant rip-off of The Simpsons like Family Guy, however).

Anyway, giving this one a 4/5

It didn't meander, it stayed focused, the story was interesting and the jokes were funny. Okay, I wasn't a Jean hater... but I'm ready to see him go! Matt Selman for THE showrunner, and let Selman finish the series off in season 25 (or whenever it ends).
    UP AND ATOM!

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

The hipster jokes were actually pretty good. I liked the armadillo. I laughed out loud a few times (which is rare), including the way the SImpsons family reluctantly clapped after Homer made that awful "goatee" joke.

The family's kid reminded me of one of the best parts from Homerpalooza, i.e.- the kids who weren't sure they were being sarcastic anymore.

First and fourth acts were blah and way too typical. Especially the last act. How many times do we need something dramatic to happen where the Simpson family comes to the rescue to gain the respect of their peers?

Overall solid jokes and a developed storyline with a few great middle acts, so probably around a B or 4/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    As for The Simpsons themselves being "dated", I didn't get that. The Simpsons have always been timeless to me, always representing the mediocre, mildly intelligent, middle class Americans.
    How? They seem very well off for a one-income family.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    How? They seem very well off for a one-income family.
    They've always had the money for trips/the latest technology, but I just assume Homer has put them in massive credit card debt over the years. For the most part, they're typically just getting by or are living comfortably but not too comfortably. Again, thanks to credit cards, I'm sure.

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

5/5 best of season by a LONG mile. I hated every episode this season except Adventures in Baby-Getting. This is episode felt fresh and original. This is what I keep saying Matt Selman NEEDS to take over Al Jean is just too boring and bland nowadays. I had a lot of laugh out loud moments.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kaine

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This wasn't the greatest episode. Homer was a loudmouth jerk throughout the entire episode and I just wanted to punch him in the face. There weren't too many parts I laughed at, either. It seemed that the father just hated Homer out of the blue after their kids squabbled. Then Homer and the other family started fighting, giving Homer a chance to act like a huge ass in the most annoying way possible. The whole breast-feeding thing wasn't too bad, but that sort of thing with Marge not fitting in with other moms has been done before. It also seemed to end sort of suddenly. I did like Wiggum in this. He wasn't a jerk and was as intent on finding the donuts as Homer was. Good characterization there. Not a terrible episode, but one of the weaker ones in the season. High 2/5.

I also noticed there were a good amount of freeze-frame gags in this. One of them, the mustache stencils, reminded me of the different types of mustaches featured in Flanders' Book of Faith.

Thread Information