View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Lemon of Troy

7 6.31%
  • 4/5 Treehouse of Horror

19 17.12%
  • 3/5 Lisa the Tree Hugger

29 26.13%
  • 2/5 Treehouse of Horror XXIII

29 26.13%
  • 1/5 This episode was treeson!

27 24.32%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "A Tree Grows in Springfield" (PABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate and Review: "A Tree Grows in Springfield" (PABF22)

November 25, 2012: Lisa wins a Mapple MyPd for Homer, and Homer believes that the recently-deceased Steve Mobbs is contacting him from beyond the grave. Meanwhile, Flanders discovers a miracle tree in the Simpsons' yard. Discuss!
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Junior Camper

Wow! I'm surprised! I thought this would be the worst episode of the season but I thought it was actually the best! There are some problems, definitely, but it gets a 3/5 from me, which is more that I can say for the previous episodes of the season.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

This was good. I loved the scene with Bart and the lion. Haven't laughed out loud during the Simpsons in a long time.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

4/5: It would've been a 5/5 if they removed that plot with Kent Brockman. I did enjoy the beginning baseball scene, Moe's Ice Cream Bar or whatever, Bart and the lion and the pizza game and Luigi part. The last part with the Malibu Stacy shouldn't have been included. It can't be that hard to add two more minutes of the episode.

Blog Entries

I thought that it was pretty good. Also enjoyed the refrences to past episodes like when Moe says "Remember when me getting a cell phone was big deal?" (in reference to They'll Never Stop The Simpsons song from "Gump Roast") and then when Homer mentions Jesus on a tortilla (not sure if it was intentional or not, but it reminded me of "Homer The Heretic" when God tells Homer that he has to appear on a tortilla in Mexico).
    Also, what was that thing with Malibu Stacy about?
    Last edited by Kid Moe; 11-25-2012 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Yuck! A rehash of Lisa the Skeptic with far less suspense. I would have liked the plot to have been developed better, rather than having that stupid product segment at the end. 2/5 (D+)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

I guess we got another "Shows too short story" tonight, and was it ever strange. I didn't bother to watch the rest of it, but I'm guessing if DeadHomers was still doing compare/contrast posts, they'd probably compare it to 'Lisa the skeptic'.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought this was very strange. It felt like they didn't really have enough for a full episode, as evidenced by that terrible extra segment, but they should have. I say they should have because there was definitely enough of a plot here they just didn't really extend it long enough for whatever reason. I have to wonder why they were unable to do that in all honesty.

The opening act felt like a combination of "Don't Fear the Roofer" and "Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts." I almost always enjoy seeing mopey Homer and I enjoyed it here too. The Sonny Bono joke in act 2 was one I've made(and I assume everyone else has) many times and it gave me the biggest laugh of the episode. Lovejoy at the silent auction was the second best. Despite the length issues I liked that we didn't get any guest stars here like we did last week and will two weeks from now.

Finally I noticed they had Homer go to Moe's at least 3 times in this episode which I also found weird, and there was a multitude of sign gags. Oh, and I thought for sure it was gonna be Flanders who did the tree. I'll give this a 3/5 and ignore that extra thing cause it was garbage, and also say it coulda been much better.

PS: Brockman and Barney's hair turning white and Lenny stuck in the tree or whatever were also good gags.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only laugh I got was Marge's book: "The Girl who Regretted Her Tattoo."

Otherwise, what was the point of this episode? Really, it's mostly Homer being shit on (whatever) wins a "MyPad", becomes addicted to it, it breaks, then has some sort of miracle happen in the backyard. Not to mention what drove him to feel shit on disappears rather quickly: the dog having mumps, the ceiling being THAT leaky...This episode should've been called: "How I MyPod'D my Summer Vacation."

Grade: 1/5, worst of this banal season, yet.

Blog Entries

Was the thing at the end supposed to be a Logorama parody? That's what it seemed like to me.

Also first episode I've watched this season.

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Homer is very sad about his destroyed Mapple product... yet last season he ripped his Mapple in half and threw it in the trash without a second thought? Flexible reality... yada yada yada blah blah blah and such. One week he's rich enough to throw expensive electronics in the trash, next week he's upset because he can't afford to replace the (essentially) same product. I don't care anymore.

I enjoyed it more than last week's episode... but after that shitfest, how could I not? I still got a few laughs out of a mediocre, yet slightly entertaining episode. Act four got really strange.

3/5, why not... although nowhere near as good as "Lisa The Tree Hugger."
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

First act was weak, but it got better as it went along.

Highlights include Wiggums pretend ride home, "This is Homer's 13th raffle, first win", Rev. Lovejoy bidding on the train set, "Maybe there's a rip cord app" (with callback), the translator scene, "What are we, Cavemen?", Kenny Brockelstein, Steve Mobs and God (Can I have Christmas off? It's my birthday.)

The bonus feature at the end was an interesting rehash of Attack of the 50ft. Eyesores from Treehouse of Horror VI

The Brockelstein callback from Mother Simpson and the above TOH VI reference along with the Team Homer, King - Size Homer, and Lisa the Vegetarian callbacks from last week make me think someones trying to mine season 7 for jokes and ideas. They've been mixed in their success.

Blog Entries

Had some slight laughs, mostly because I was watching it with some friends (REALLY helped it). Far better than last weeks, THOH, and the premiere. About somewhere in the middle between the Abe and Baby-Getting episodes. Eh, C-. Subject to change. Maybe.

When Homer said "I never win anything" at the raffle, I practically said in unison with Lovejoy, "And the winner is Homer Simpson!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    When Homer said "I never win anything" at the raffle, I practically said in unison with Lovejoy, "And the winner is Homer Simpson!"
    Reminded me of Lisa the Beauty Queen when he wins The Duff Blimp ride

Blog Entries

I really do think this needed another re-write or work over or whatever they do. I still can't believe they couldn't have made this long enough to fit the time. I mean just have Flanders be the one who did the tree and reveal it and bam...there ya go, or something. Oh and ironically considering the poll options THOH XXIII was better than this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow The Hedgehog View Post
    when Moe says "Remember when me getting a cell phone was big deal?" (in reference to They'll Never Stop The Simpsons song from "Gump Roast")
    I thought he said "Remember when getting cell phones was a big deal?"

Much better joke if it's referencing that.

Blog Entries

He was referencing the song.

Blog Entries

Which is why I quoted the dude who made me realize that.

Who wrote this episode?

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Billionaire View Post
    Who wrote this episode?
    Stephanie Gillis

Blog Entries

Who?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sad

WTF was with that bogus bonus cartoon short at the end!?
    It was dumb as hell!

I'll have to re-watch this one... it was so boring I missed big chunks of it,.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Who?
    Al Jean's wife.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

Who?
    Al Jean's wife, she's written numerous episodes since Season 17. And I thought you were still seeking confirmation with the Moe thing.

Blog Entries

Didn't even know Al Jean had a wife.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

I also liked how there were no guest stars this week. I feel like the episodes are better without them. Sometimes, well... almost all the time, it's just too much of them.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

The hell'd I just watch?

I just watched a mish-mash of gags that couldn't fit in any other episode and a parody of an award-winning CGI short film at the end as filler, that's what I just watched. Homer the caveman? Mr. Teeny and the Mexican monkey in a tussle? Steve Mobbs egging Homer on? Steve Mobbs vs. God? Homer throwing Bart into a lion pit so he can find out where to get the best churros?

It started off as a variant on "Don't Fear the Roofer", which turned into a variant of that school raffle prank of Bart's from "Ned 'n' Edna's Blend", which turned into a variant of, I guess, "Lisa the Skeptic".

And, well, damn. I had "hope" for this one. The whole thing about the hope tree made me think of episodes like Lisa the Skeptic and The Monkey Suit, wherein a character's faith is tested in light of evidence to the contrary. What I got was a slathering of ridiculous "addicted to tablet" gags that had been seen elsewhere and, by elsewhere, I mean "The D'oh-cial Network". The Rosetta Crone thing was nice, and Moe had some good lines ("Good thing this bar don't sell alcohol", or "... and this place used to be an ice cream parlor!"). I even had a smirk at the Kenny Brockelstein flashback.

Overall, the episode felt like it had no direction. I would have liked to see more about the tree, or how Homer's faith was tested by the mysterious message. But nah; they just want to throw more jabs at Steve Jobs. Nice dream sequence in the beginning, though; it got some belly laughs from me, but this episode was way below average at best.

For episodes like "The D'ohcial Network", "Love, Springfieldian Style" and "The Daughter Also Rises", I watch the episodes only twice and then cast them aside (the second time being to see how the German dub turned out). "A Tree Grows in Springfield" is gonna be one of those "two times only" eps.

Blog Entries

This show hasn't been relevant for 15 years, dude.

It's best not to think about that stuff.

I feel conflicted about this episode. Structure-wise, it was a mess, but man was it funny.

So I got my wish, kind of. First regular episode of the season that didn't have a subplot, and yet the main plot changed direction so many times it's almost like there were multiple stories tonight, just that each one started after the last one ended. I guess I'd prefer a main plot that jumps around a lot to a main plot saddled with a subplot that doesn't pull its weight, but I was still a little put off by how many times the story went from one topic to another without a whole lot of warning. We start off with Homer getting depressed very quickly for many reasons that are never really addressed again, to an onslaught of jokes with Homer playing with his new toy, to the miracle tree in the family's backyard, to Kent Brockman of all people wanting to debunk the hope tree. The first act went so fast, just trying to cram in as many problems for Homer as they could, and while you could see Homer getting upset, it might have been better for just one big problem to depress him, and maybe having the MyPad help him solve the problem. Instead we got a lot of Ipad jokes, and I am still pretty tired of how the show has to keep getting around the Apple placement with Mapple, or Mypod, and now Steve Mobbs. I wish the show could just use the words. Once the tree showed up in the back yard, it did have a bit of a Lisa the Skeptic feel to it, but nowhere near as mean-spirited, and I like that. If only they had started with this earlier though; half an episode wasn't nearly enough time, especially considering they had to come up with a pretty forced reason for why Kent Brockman wanted to rain on everyone's parade. I will say I was expecting Ned to be the one behind it all, but the actual explanation was funnier. And then, if this episode weren't overstuffed with ideas already, we got the Logorama parody at the end. It was charming and funny, but not that much, and went on a little too long. I guess the writers needed an outlet for this sort of parody, but seriously, they couldn't stick it into an Itchy and Scratchy episode or something? They had to devote 3 minutes of a very scatter-shot episode to this?

Despite all my complaints with the story and how overstuffed the plot was however, I did enjoy this episode overall merely due to how many good jokes there were. Every type of joke they used worked for the most part. We got some good character-based humor, like Willie's missing pants, or the many jokes at Moe's (yeah, I noticed alot of scenes at Moe's tonight also, there were like 4 wholly separate scenes there). We got some good parody jokes about Apple, from Vengeful Pigs to the many apps their devices have. We even got some really funny absurd humor what with Homer's dream at the beginning, it was so nuts and made no sense that I couldn't help but laugh throughout it. The jokes were very rapid-fire, and the timing was really good on a lot of the jokes too. The freeze-frame jokes like Marge's book and Moe's ice cream parlor picture went just fast enough to make you laugh without overstaying their welcome. The buildup on gags didn't overdo themselves either, like Homer playing with his MyPad while driving, or Bart playing in the lion exhibit at the zoo, if anything the length of the jokes and how much they kept one-upping themselves made them even funnier.

So yeah. In the end, I really had a good time tonight, but I feel kind of guilty about it. There were a lot of problems with how this episode was written from a plot perspective, but overall I just laughed way too much to care. I will probably look back on this as a guilty-pleasure episode overall, but it was pleasurable nonetheless. Still, I can do without the Logorama parody, it was no "Adventures of Ned Flanders", and the original was funnier anyway. 4/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Didn't watch it, but just seeing the word "MyPad" or any of Mapple's products mentioned/apart of the plot including the name of the company itself automatically ruins the episode for me.

1/5 (though it really should be 0/5)

Thread Information