View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Curmudgeon

5 4.59%
  • 4/5: Thrifty

14 12.84%
  • 3/5: Circumspect

34 31.19%
  • 2/5: Lavish

34 31.19%
  • 1/5: Pound Foolish

22 20.18%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate&Review: Penny-Wiseguys

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate and Review: Penny-Wiseguys (PABF19)

November 18, 2012: Homer is shocked to discover that his bowling teammate Dan Gillick, is an accountant for Fat Tony and his mob. When the government finally catches up with Fat Tony and he is forced to serve time…on a jury, he names Dan as his temporary replacement. Meanwhile, Lisa adds insects to her vegetarian diet after passing out during a saxophone solo, but starts questioning her decision when bugs start pleading for mercy in her dreams.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 11-18-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Made a Sticky topic

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Mr. Kirkland finally gets his first episode of the season. This was alright, Carell had some nice energy and his scene fighting over the gun with Homer felt ad-libbed and got funnier as it went along. Lisa plot started fine and intersected with the main plot nicely, but was forgettable much of the time. Fat Tony getting hassled by the Bulgarian(I think) woman was funny. Bart getting thrown through the window at Dan was a nice callback. An alright episode, but probably only the fourth best out of the first five this season. I'll say 3/5 or so on the first watch.

Blog Entries

Someone must've watched 'Lisa the Vegetarian', and told the other writers "Lets make another episode where Lisa feels guilty about eating meat, but this time we'll make it more gross and disgusting!"

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, that was annoying. The only funny parts were Homer not being able to stand up fast enough while on his knees and Lunchlady Doris's comment about promising Paul she wouldn't sleep with John. Otherwise this was a slightly less annoying "Greatest Story Ever D'oh'd."

2/5

BTW:

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    It'd be funny if Lisa ate a Beetle in this episode and called it "Paul" just to buck the promise made to Sir Paul over Lisa's move to veganity.
    Almost got it!

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Eh, kinda went nowhere. The b-story was equally forgettable. Steve Carell gave a good performance, but the material he was given was awfully weak
    There were some good moments mostly confined to the first act such as "Lisa saves concert" sheet music, "Here's what Joe the arsonist thinks of your spreadsheet (shoots spreadsheet), "Damn, she eats a quick lunch" "Nice breeze, huh", and The Godfather baptism parody was OK.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Act One:

Okay, I don't really understand the start. The Pin Pals are back again without an explanation and we don't know the first thing about Steve Carrell's character - he just shows up. Even showing him with the mafia didn't help develop him. Also, the jokes were very weak, even by Zombie Simpsons standards. I did laugh at the iron pills and the book about Crazy Old Ladies, though.

Act Two:

Nope. Still not feeling Steve Carrell's character. At this point, he's well on his way to topping Wayne Slater from The Falcon and the D'ohman as the most boring one-time character.

Act Three:

Wow, some REALLY forced suspense. And again, Steve Carrell's character continues to bore and confuse me. Is he good or bad? I did like the Day of the Locust reference, though.

Act Four:

Ugh, this totally brought the episode to a grinding halt. I'm not even gonna leave a comment.

Overall, this fucking sucked. As stated in act two, Steve Carrell officially topped Wayne from Falcon as the show's most underdeveloped one-time character. At least with Wayne, you knew where he stood. Lisa's subplot was REALLY stupid, too. Worst of the season so far. 2/5 (D-)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

f**kface von clownstick Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw the last half and it was easily the worst of the season. It was rarely funny, and unlike the last two episodes, it felt like it was trying to be funny, but failed. I'm not gonna make an official grade until I see the whole thing, but I can already tell it will be low, likely a 1/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 View Post
    I saw the last half and it was easily the worst of the season. It was rarely funny, and unlike the last two episodes, it felt like it was trying to be funny, but failed. I'm not gonna make an official grade until I see the whole thing, but I can already tell it will be low, likely a 1/5.
    First act showed promise, but it was all downhill from there

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This could've been so good. This could've been so, so good. The first act was awesome; they had some nice callbacks, and I laughed heartily quite a few times. I was also looking forward to how Dan would control the mafia without really wanting to and how Lisa would handle her insect craving. But the next few acts weren't nearly as good. I was really hoping that Dan would be a reluctant mob boss; I think that could've worked pretty well. But as it stood, he became almost a clone of Dwight from I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. The laughs also pretty much abandoned the episode.

I also thought the subplot would be a lot better, and Lisa would have some real struggles. Instead, after a dream (which seems to have happened quite a bit in this show over the years), she decides against against eating the insects. Boom, over, done. The rest of the time, the insects are just used to hinder Dan, although it's usually a plus when they can join the plots together.

But regardless of what I've said, the episode was, overall, pretty good. They were still able to make the main plot interesting, and they haven't really had Lisa struggle with meat before since Lisa the Vegetarian. I just wish they'd been able to capitalize on all this potential.

I gave it a 4, but after this review, I'm leaning more toward a 3.

Also wanted to note thet I liked the chalkboard gag (I want to secede, but I don't know what state I'm in) and Muumuu Homer flying by

Blog Entries

Was Muumuu Homer the flying intro or something because I missed it.

Yeah, damn.

Yeah

Junior Camper

2/5 for the 2 times I laughed at this episode. (if I recall, one of those two was the Crazy Old Man saying "There's no fly in my soup!")

Blog Entries

IMO that scene was one of the worst parts.(The bug eating club)

on a trip to squaresville Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I kinda liked this one. I laughed at a couple parts, and I liked Steve Carell's character. That said, it wasn't perfect. There was still the odd joke that went on for too long (Homer "saying something original", anyone?), and other jokes fell flat, but overall, I enjoyed it. 4/5.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nicky

Banned
    Blog Entries

A 3/5 for the polls.

Price's best episode to date, even though that's not saying much... know it was barely average for a show in it's 24th year and not totally terrible like last week.

The opening gags were all good as was most the first act; Muumuu Homer flying by, Lisa's switch up, the chalkboard, Marge semi-nude tat couch gag.

Nice to see the pin-pals, lunch lady Doris, and Herman back in cameos.. don't really care about the whys or hows here. Luch lady Doris actaully sounded like herself for the first time since coming back in season 18, the torch has been passed to Tress now permanently.

It slowly went down hill from there, but for a Price episode I've seen much, much worse.
    I actually found there were laughs to be had.
    It came close to a 2/5, but some funny gags saved it.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 11-18-2012 at 10:01 PM.

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Otherwise this was a slightly less annoying "Greatest Story Ever D'oh'd."
    ...took the words right out of my mouth.

I can't even rate this episode because I lost interest in it halfway through. I just basically quit watching it. First time in years that's happened.

meh/5... how's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    not terrible like last week.
    Really?? I thought last week's episode was allot more satisfying than Lisa having bad fantasy dreams about bugs pulling off their skin in the old west.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    ...took the words right out of my mouth.

I can't even rate this episode because I lost interest in it halfway through. I just basically quit watching it. First time in years that's happened.

meh/5... how's that?
    Here come the lawyers...

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hutz

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here come the lawyers...
    I hope they're good at getting blood from turnips.

This is one of those episodes that started off well and just kept losing more and more steam as it went on.

I think part of the problem of this episode was how quickly everything kept moving. That's not always a bad thing and it didn't start off as a problem for the most part. It was just kind of weird to see Dan show up out of nowhere right from the start, and I was kind of expecting more of a mystery as to what Dan did for a living, but instead we dove right into it very quickly. I guess that was to the benefit of the character, since it gave the audience time to spend with Dan, making his predicament and descent into becoming a mob boss have more weight to it. His character was also greatly helped by Steve Carell's performance, like Anika Nani Rose last week, he really gave this his all, being nervous, jittery, angry, all the things we have come to like from Carrell and his performances.

I was actually liking the subplot with Lisa as well at first. I didn't see everything coming like I did the last few weeks, and it was a legitimate plot to address what with Lisa being a vegetarian and all (though I wonder why it took so long for a story like this to happen). Still, it was kind of strange seeing Lunch Lady Doris talk for an extended period, and I was hoping we'd get more insight into the world of insect delicacies, or at least more scenes of Lisa actually eating the bugs. Instead it was more like one light-gag scene with the insect club, and soon after the plot is more or less over just so that it can find a way to tie into the main plot. It moved almost too fast; I was surprised to see Lisa giving up the insects before Act 2 was even finished, and while how it tied into the main plot wasn't as disgusting or crazy as I thought it was going to get, it still felt kind of forced. We still haven't had one regular episode this season without a Lisa subplot, and frankly I'm starting to get annoyed by how much time they are taking from the main story!

Still, the main story wasn't without problems of its own, mostly in the second half of the episode. I was really admiring how the plot was holding its own tension, stakes, and humor all with minimal Simpson family involvement. I was almost hoping that the whole episode would go by without Homer having to get involved in the story. However, as soon as Dan had to whack his staff and felt the need to get Homer involved, I could feel the whole story sinking. It just felt like alot of padding and extended jokes that probably were improvised by Carrell and Dan Castellaneta. In fact, the whole third act, especially the scene with Homer and Bart watching TV and the screaming just felt very lazy and pointless. The fourth act wasn't much better; mostly just tying up loose ends with Lisa's bugs and the sequence of Dan trying to kill members of the mob. It really should have had more drama or tension behind it than what we got, or even just a more direct parody of the Godfather would have sufficed. Instead, it just felt too silly and meaningless, right down to Homer and Dan wrestling over the gun. We all knew it was going to go off, it just took so long and wasn't nearly funny enough to justify the length; I wouldn't be surprised if they improvised that scene also.

It started off fine, it just got too silly and lazy as it progressed. It's a shame, Carrell's performance was very good, and it deserved a better episode than this. 2/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    I hope they're good at getting blood from turnips.

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

Here come the lawyers...

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

For what it's worth, I laughed about as much as Steve Carell's episodes of The Office. So at least he's consistent.

1 out of 5

Blog Entries

Fuck this season.

F.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder when jbauer is going to jump in and give this a 5/5 for how awesome it is.

Blog Entries

Or ModernSimpsonsRock

I give this episode an A.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bartist View Post
    I give this episode an A.
    An A for Awful?

Blog Entries

That's the only logical explanation.

Thread Information