View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Finding the Hellfish Bonanza

9 7.83%
  • 4/5 Inheriting $106,000

32 27.83%
  • 3/5 Getting your son's kidney against his will

43 37.39%
  • 2/5 Bitten by your own teeth

19 16.52%
  • 1/5 Eyes popping out

12 10.43%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Gone Abie Gone" (PABF16)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Gone Abie Gone" (PABF16)

November 11, 2012: After Grampa takes it on the lam from the retirement home Homer and Marge try to find him. Their search uncovers some surprising secrets from his past. Meanwhile Lisa gets involved with online poker. Discuss!

EDIT: Football overrun forces the episode to start at least 15 minutes late. This thread will open whenever the episode ends.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kris

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Act One:

Another Homer pain gag. Groan. Actually, the part where he points out the cold onion ring was pretty funny, and I got a cheap laugh out of the
    "Talk to Calendar" reminder, too. But then it turns into the Grandpa plot rather abruptly, though the suspense had a decent set-up.

Act Two:

The decent set-up lead to a long name joke that got dragged on way too long and a poorly executed surprise that Rita and Abe are married. Oh, and underaged gambling going on, too. Also, they made the people of Springfield characterless again with people who would never play online poker playing online poker. Goody! (sarcasm, in case you didn't know)

Act Three:

Now this is starting to get stupid. Homer didn't remember Abe's second wife because he hit his head plus drank a beer at age six? What the FUCK?

Act Four:

Talk about a rushed ending. I can't really say I enjoyed anything here.

What a shame! It got off to such a great start, but then went downhill fast. Well, that's some episodes of Zombie Simpsons for ya! 3/5 (C+)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

Did anyone else notice the Flaming Moe's music playing when Abe and 6-year old Homer go into the bar?
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

Banned
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

Was going to watch this, however, me and my girl decided to do something productive with our time. So instead of this episode, we're watching some good ol' fashioned Nostalgia Critic and AVGN for an hour until the 200th FG episode comes on.

Until I watch it, it's an automatic 1/5.

Junior Camper

couch gag was drawn out and stupid. it might've been better if they just drove the couch offscrren and ended it there.

but for a newer episode it had some real good jokes. i liked that online poker is a safer way to store money than american banks. 4/5 for post-16 or post-20 or whatever.

Blog Entries

I don't feel like I could even grade it until a rewatch I was so distracted during the first act by the football nonsense.

Couch Gag was a sendup of the Wacky Races in case someone didn't know.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fucking Fox and their handegg games.
    That's all I have to say 'bout that.

Well, time to embark on another episode that could rewrite The Simpson's canon. What whacky back story elements of Grandpa will the writers dazzle us with this time around...? (These flashback episodes always make me nervous.)

Nice couch gag. I know it's a callback to a '60s cartoon... but the name escapes me.
    ACT ONE:
    Homer's "Marge" thought bubble turning into two other thought bubbles was very clever.
    So, this guy is Lionel Hutz's replacement?
    "I'm not gonna gamble with my daughter's future!" (Yeah... this week you're not.)
    "Happy Ani-birth-intine-shark-week"
    (That was a well done first act! I know it's only the first act, but I feel that the writing of the show finally caught up with the pacing of the four-act structure this season.)

ACT TWO:
    "Flimsy lead, take me away!"
    At least they explained Bart and his magical ascent into the chimney.
    Nice callback to Grandpa being able to play piano. I think this is the third time we've seen him play....
    ...and Abe's married to Rita. How does this effect his marriage to Mona?

ACT THREE:
    I liked the college sweaters changing in correlation to the amount of money Lisa's won.
    ...so
    #1. Abe's suddenly a kind and caring father in the past?
    #2. Homer remembers absolutely NONE of this.
    Writers... you're asking me to accept a little too much with those points.
    ...and Lisa gambles away her college fund. Who didn't see that one coming a mile away?
    Also, Marge and Homer seemed to have completely forgotten that Grandpa has disappeared.

ACT FOUR:
    Bart was Sideshow Bob... WHAT A TWEEST!
    Uh, did Abe ever divorce Mona? Are... were he and Rita married? Did I miss something? What the Hell just happened?!?!?

Oh my. Well. The episode was okay until it went completely off the rails in the third act. First off, I strongly dislike episodes that screw with the past of The Simpson family. I'm also not very fond of the animators constantly changing the models of Abe in the past. Either Abe had some plastic surgery at some point in the late-'60s, or the animators just don't care. (I know which one it is... but the way things are going, I'm sure we'll see an episode at some point where Grandpa has/had plastic surgery.)

What else, what else...? This episode, from act two forward, was really trying too hard to force me to feel for Grandpa's situation. The sentimentality in this episode was WAY over the top, and I wasn't feeling it. On top of all the saccharine, "Sad Young Homer" was overused in this episode.

Ungh. The worst episode of the season so far.
    2/5, and I'd better vote and post before I change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I don't feel like I could even grade it until a rewatch I was so distracted during the first act by the football nonsense.

Couch Gag was a sendup of the Wacky Races in case someone didn't know.
    Thanks for saving me from a fruitless Google search!
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 11-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't feel like I could even grade it I was so distracted during the first act by the football nonsense.
    Hey, the Rams are NOT nonsense!

Both plots were interesting, but the episode was dragged down by a larger-than-average amount of pain gags. I did enjoy the poker subplot, and the resolution to it was kind of sweet. The main plot was pretty good, but it didn't really have the "mystery" vibe that I was expecting. Abe's past self also seemed to contradict the uncaring on the surface, but a caring father beneath type person we saw in previous episodes, and he was just a normal, caring father here. Still, not too shabby of an episode. I give it a 3/5.

EDIT: Oh, and my favorite joke was the little dig at FOX. Haven't had one of those in a while.
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 11-11-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Blog Entries

A healthy Nastuk deductable for tonight's episode. With Rita Lafleur and the songs, there was lots of wasted potential here; its really sad. Anyway, Rita Lafleur was nice, I hope they do something decent with her and grandpa, maybe in some following episodes. I won't hold my breath, though.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not bad, not great, but I actually enjoyed Lisa's (predictable) online poker addiction more than the main plot and the biggest laugh was Lil'Homie still twitching from being shocked.

2.5/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Flanders blowing on the glass/making faces, Lovejoy's bible trivia, and the dig at Fox were the best jokes. I really enjoyed the Lafleur character wouldn't mind seeing her again. Lisa's plot was much better than I thought it'd be. I need a rewatch before a grade though. Better than "Moonshine River" for sure.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh it was better than Moonshine River but that's not saying much....a 1.5/5 rounded up to a 2

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Flanders blowing on the glass/making faces, Lovejoy's bible trivia, and the dig at Fox were the best jokes. I really enjoyed the Lafleur character wouldn't mind seeing her again. Lisa's plot was much better than I thought it'd be. I need a rewatch before a grade though. Better than "Moonshine River" for sure.
    My cat's coughed up funnier things than Moonshine River.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    My cat's coughed up funnier things than Moonshine River.
    So has Tim Long's cat.

Blog Entries

Are you sure Tim Long has a cat?

Blog Entries

I accidently watched the last 5 minutes or so from this episode. It had everything I expected from modern Simpsons though

Banned
    Blog Entries

Like I said, 1/5 by default.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow The Hedgehog View Post
    Did anyone else notice the Flaming Moe's music playing when Abe and 6-year old Homer go into the bar?
    I thought that was the Cheers' theme.

Blog Entries

It's a parody of it.

heeeals! you guys are brutal! zach's Avatar

shut the hell up moleman.

and don't vote until you watch it.

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

3.5/5 rounded up to a 4 on the poll. This was a nice delight. The scene where Grampa chooses Homer over his second wife was sweet. It just lacked of decent humour though.
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    shut the hell up moleman.

and don't vote until you watch it.
    well, your comment has only convinced me to do it more.

sorry, zach.

that's alright, no one cares what you think anyway.

Banned
    Blog Entries

did i ever say that anyone did?

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Santa Shoz

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Hey, I watched it! I thought that overall, it was a cute episode with a fair amount of sweet moments and some funny gags. Lisa's subplot was fun, I liked seeing Lisa doing something stupid like Homer would have done (gamble with her college fund). Shows that she is truly her father's daughter. The resolution actually surprised me, and I thought it was nice to see Bart showing that he loves his sister, even if he messed with her head a bit.

Grampa's plot was decent. While it did mess with continuity a little, it was nice to see Grampa ending up with a woman at the end of an episode and she didn't die or leave him. I'd be perfectly fine with grampa continuing to be in a relationship with her in future episodes. I mean, he's an old man, his first wife is dead and his past relationships haven't ended well. At most he'll have a woman to hang out with and I think after 24 years the character deserves a little love.

Still, the jokes weren't as strong as last week and the sentimental moments were hardly tear jerkers. So overall, 3/5, but a positive 3/5.
    UP AND ATOM!

Gone Abie Gone Review, My Opinion
    KEY
    + is positive thoughts
    - is negative thoughts
    +/- is mixed thoughts
    Act One
    + Speed-racer Couch Gag? Pretty good I have to say
    - We laugh when Homer goes through his painful antics, but at the beginning, especially the onion scene, it's not that funny, but it wasn't bad, just not funny.
    +/- Started off with a ,mix of good and bad, beginning
    + The subplot actually starts pretty well compared to the main plot.
    Act Two
    + Little Ol' Homer Painful antics, much funnier than what you saw in the beginning.
    + Tons of Classical Music, not Classic Simpson Music, Classic 60's Music
    + The Abe and Rita Storyline was actually pretty good. A Damn Fine Plot actually. Reminds me a lot of the beloved 60's movie "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner"
    + The Jokes here can deliver laughs
    + Has somewhat of a "60's Tradition" to it's plot.
    + Shows lots of emotion between Abe and Rita.
    +/- The Subplot actually was going well, however it's predictable that she was going to lose all of her college funds.
    - Pointless Guest-start Cameo. To be honest, they could've done the subplot without it, their was no need for it to be their. It looked like the writer was told by his boss to put her in the storyline quickly at the last minute.
    Act Three
    + In the subplot, despite the predictable part where Lisa would lose it all, the unpredictable part was a plot twist, Bart is Sideshow Bob, and their was a good ending to this subplot as well, with Bart's kinder side showing up.
    +/- Ending for me is mixed for the main plot. I would love for it to end with them just singing together at the piano, no jokes at the end, but they did cut it off with a joke that only gave a chuckle, not really a laugh.
    + Despite the Ending being mixed, the Credits still delivered a good old fashion couple singing together as they played the piano.
    OVERALL
    + A 5/5 Original Storyline, loved the 60's moments they had their
    + A 5/5 Subplot
    + Nothing disrupted the storyline or subplot, they managed to fit together.
    + Music by Alf Clausen, he did a good job for it.
    + Directed by Matthew Nastuk, some of you may have remembered his work such as his "Worst Episode Ever" which I think it won some kind of an award or something.
    + Written by Joel H. Cohen, who's written some great episodes, a few even called the best of particular Modern Simpsons seasons. He has written not only a good plot but the lyrics for it to.
    + 3.5/5 Jokes, you have seen these type of jokes before but they can still deliver a laugh, everything did well but the jokes at the beginning.
    +/- Beginning did poorly however it managed to lead up to both a great storyline and subplot without fail.
    My Opinion - It had a great storyline, some of you who have seen similar Simpsons Episodes of old love between elderly folks and 60's scenes would understand why this episode is so likable. Also, this episode reminds me of the couple in "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", and their weren't a ton of jokes but their were some great jokes. I give this episode, my opinion, a 4.5/5

Also not sure why people are giving "meh" reviews. Maybe if you re-watched a few classics that are similar such as "Old Money", you can see why I kind of compare this episode to the classics. Just a thought...
    Last edited by Santa Shoz; 11-11-2012 at 07:44 PM.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

I thought the plot twist with Bart being Sideshow Bob at the end was an underwhelming copout. I'd rather have seen Sideshow bob in prison with a computer, lamenting on finally having his revenge on those wretched simpsons! The emotional interplay between Bart and Lisa there was nice, though.
    Last edited by zartok-35; 11-11-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by parklife View Post
    hey! there are plenty of people here who wanna see how pythonmoleman feels about this episode!
    i'll post a full review tommorow.

i just rated 1/5 as a default to piss of ModernSimpsonsForever.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The 20-15 minutes of it I saw sucked.
    Sunny did it better with Frank and his ex african american lover.
    A 2/10 overall.

Bob's Burgers was also kinda lame.
    From what I saw FG looked the best of the three.

SAD.

Thread Information