View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Homer, I'm Not Pregnant!

14 11.29%
  • 4/5 General Approval

57 45.97%
  • 3/5 It's wonderful, it's magical, oh boy, here it comes, another episode!

24 19.35%
  • 2/5 I'm sterile right?

21 16.94%
  • 1/5 You're pregnant!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

8 6.45%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Adventures in Baby-Getting" (PABF18)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Adventures in Baby-Getting" (PABF18)

November 4, 2012: An auto accident sends Marge car shopping, and after she buys the perfect five-passenger vehicle she realizes that the car would be too small if she were to have another baby, which she is considering to Homer's shock. Meanwhile Lisa is going around town doing strange things and being followed by Bart and friends. Discuss!

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Intro:
    Well... seen this one, and have discussed it ad nauseum.
    Guess this is the first time we get a show intro without even a hint of the theme?

ACT ONE:
    The opening gags surrounding the sink hole were all well done, and I even enjoyed the fat hummingbird gag.
    Marge's problems with her new car seemed plausible, humorous, and actually made a good segue to the main plot. I'm impressed so far, more importantly... entertained!
    ACT TWO:
    (I thought Homer was permanently impotent due to radiation from the power plant?)
    The explanation and reveal of how Homer's inner thoughts look to Marge was good.
    ...and all his sperm is dead. That fixes that continuity error, kind of.
    B-story starts 13 minutes in.... and I don't care about it so far.
    So, Homer sold his sperm. Man... this episode's really full of things I don't want to think about. Homer and Marge screwing 24 /7 and Homer whacking it....
    ACT THREE:
    Lots of sight gags for the museums that doesn't pack much of a punch... and back to the B-story.
    Oh, so this is what the B-story is about. Meh. I'm of the generation that learned cursive, so, again... meh.
    The "mistaking the walrus for Homer" gag made no sense for several obvious reasons.
    The Doghouse Motor Lodge gag was funny, and made the gags from the beginning of the act pay off.
    ACT FOUR:
    Marge's inner monologue at the restaurant made me giggle.
    I knew that couple's reaction to seeing Homer would have that result, but it was still funny.
    "I don't want to bring more kids into a world full of my kids."
    Car full of Homer's sperm babies, and we're done.

All in all, a nice and tight episode that I really enjoyed. I could have completely done without the B-story though.
    A solid 4/5 from me.

EDIT: I hope I never have to use the word "sperm" in another Simpson's episode review ever again.
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 11-04-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Sperm
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

I'll do a real review tomorrow night but now I just want to say the a laugh a few time during the episode and the story is not bad but Homer and marge are very idiot in this episode...
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Blog Entries

Just out of curiosity, has the show ever actually shown Lisa writing in cursive before? I did learn it in the 2nd Grade myself but I have to believe it has....

5. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Act 1:

Good start. I liked the Tracy Ullman Simpsons buried in the ground and I kind of felt bad for Marge wanting another baby. However, I thought the auto mechanic being the person who gave advice was a little odd and weak.

Act 2:

For once, a meta reference was funny! I liked the chalkboard gag reference... well, I did at first, then it got run into the ground. The Patty and Selma babies were funny too. But... didn't Marge already know Homer was sterile in Eight Misbehavin'? Well, I can't expect them to keep with continuity, I guess.

Act 3:

Ehh... the subplot was resolved too quickly. I did like the clever revelation that it was all writing excercises, though.

Act 4:

The ending was a real cop-out and frankly predictable. Homer having a bunch of donor children was real unbelievable, too.

Overall, a pretty good episode, even though I knew for sure there wasn't going to be a 4th Simpson. By 16-present standards, this comes to a 4/5 (B)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I REALLY liked it up until it Homer's Poster Board of Donations came into the plot...it's like the whole story just hit a brick wall and it wasn't any worth watching anymore. Otherwise, a lot of cute jokes, like the Dog House motel and Bart trying to find new things to write about on the blackboard made me chuckle. The Ullman Versions of the family gag was still funny.

3/5...Had the writers come up with a less silly ending, a 4/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

It was OK. Very meta (Tracey Ullman era Simpsons underground, Treehouse of Horror, Bart asking Lisa for a chalkboard gag, Moe referencing flash in the pan guest appearances, Jeff Gordon)

I liked the Honest Repairman, Otto stepping off the moving bus, Bart's fantasy with Wizard Boxing, Homer imagining Patty and Selma as his possible twins
    and Homer's line "Ohhh, I really wish I'd fixed that faucet!"

The B-plot was completely throwaway and unmemorable, but not bad
    I thought the writers had written themselves into a corner with the Homer/Marge plot, but it turned out pretty good.

Blog Entries

Ah, so kinda topical then, thanks @Rango

As for the episode itself I liked the self-referential humor the best like the Ullman family, Bart asking Lisa if she has any chalkboard gags and Marge's inner monologue in the diner. I thought they handled both plots pretty well and the Homer sperm babies didn't bother me as much as I woulda thought. I get the sense that Marge's initial motivation for wanting a child will receive the most criticism, but I was fine with it. That Father Mike joke feels like a movie reference I'm just missing out on. Took me awhile to figure out why the credits were in cursive but once I did I thought it was a nice touch. I'm gonna need a re-watch of course, but my initial grade will be a 3.5 rounded up.

PS: I do wonder if that election opening was a last minute add on and the original chalkboard really was something about mousetraps for shoes.

PPS: I liked Homer's act 1 break line about the faucet as I had actually already forgotten about it myself.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

f**kface von clownstick Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I probably won't watch it until tomorrow, so don't spoil anything.
    Don't tell me if they end up with another kid at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to be lazy and not do any research... but...
    Is this the first show opening without at least using the stinger from the opening theme? By that, I mean completely void of the theme?

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I liked this one quite a bit. The sinkhole gags were funny, liked the use of the tire fire to solve the problem. Wonder if any of those gags were leftovers from the movie? Lots of funny meta gags, like Bart having trouble thinking up new chalkboard gags, Homer talking to his brain and Milhouse's Treehouse of Horror reference. Almost forgot about Jeff Gorden's cameo. If only every guest appearance was that brief. I'll admit, I half expected them to go for it and have a baby, with Marge being pregnant until the series or season finale. The way it turned out was decent, liked seeing all of the Homer babies on bulletin board. Ending at the drive-in was a sweet family moment. The stingers worked well throughout the episode, like Homer imagining twins and the car full of Homer babies pulling up at the end.
    4/5 - far far better than the premiere and just as enjoyable as THOH

So, is Marge's car dead now? I assume it'll return next week.
    UP AND ATOM!

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: kes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post

So, is Marge's car dead now? I assume it'll return next week.
    Good question, next week's episode is an earlier production code than this one so we might see it there at the least. I could see them going either way on later produced episodes.

EDIT: Actually she'll still have the old car in the opening....at least I'd assume, so it'll likely still be used, just my guess of course.

The Springfield Tire Yard also doesn't exist anymore.

I'm disappointed with this episode, not because it was bad, but because this could have easily been a great episode, but some very fixable problems are holding it back.

First off, the first act was bad, really bad. This is textbook plot jumping from one story to another that has little to nothing to do with the one that came before it, until finally we cut to commercial with the actual plot of the episode that should have been the focus from the beginning. I didn't really care much for the cold opening about the upcoming election either, though maybe it's just because it was jarring and I was shocked they didn't put even a snippet of the theme song in there. Still, we get about four different stories and a pointless celebrity cameo in the span of about 6 minutes, and none of it was particularly funny, it all went too fast, and it could have been better spent on the main story or the subplot.

Speaking of the subplot, I was never particularly interested in it either. Maybe it's just me, but there was almost no mystery whatsoever about what was happening, since I recognized right from the start that it was a Pangram, and I was right. It could be that was the point, that Bart, Millhouse, Nelson, and Otto are such buffoons with imaginations that they couldn't see what was right in front of them, and that they preferred the fantastical instead. Even so, it didn't make for a particularly exciting or interesting time to just watch the boys labor about what Lisa was hiding. The end explanation was a bit too simple and quick too. It just made a very forgettable story B.

However, story A, barring the bad first act, actually got better and better as the episode went on. Maybe part of it was (despite again the bad first act), that this episode actually followed old continuity fairly well. It was completely believable and in character for Homer to not want another baby, we all remember him tearing out his hair over the first three kids right? They find out Homer can't have a child with Marge because he's sterile, just like what we saw in "Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes" from the power plant. Heck, even Bart's failure to recognize what Lisa was doing is in tune with his difficulty reading cursive from "You Only Move Twice". The best part about Homer's reluctance for another kid was that they very easily could have made him unlikable or selfish, but they did a good job in not making him or his efforts to delay the process mean-spirited. It seemed a little too easy to have Homer just blurt out his feelings after sex, but again, maybe it makes sense that he would open up after passionate love making. After that scene I was impressed by how the episode kept you guessing what the final verdict was going to be, and while I don't think the tipping point that they came up with was that strong, the scenes before that were both funny and touching. Homer and Marge in the diner as well as Homer and Marge scaring the couple at the clinic were pretty great. It was a little weird having the kids there for the last scene, I mean, Bart still shouldn't be able to see the Itchy and Scratchy Movie yet, right? Maybe 20 years is long enough of a wait.

As much as I'm gushing over the humor, sincerity, and characterization of Homer and Marge in the main plot, I just can't call this episode great or even good overall. This was essentially a great main plot that is crippled by a very forgettable subplot, and an atrocious first act. I give this episode a 3/5, but man, I wish I could give it more.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandreLeblood View Post
    The Springfield Tire Yard also doesn't exist anymore.
    I figure it just fills with tires again. They got rid of the tires, but the yard is still there. Waiting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    I figure it just fills with tires again. They got rid of the tires, but the yard is still there. Waiting.
    They filled the hole with stuff, now the yard needs 'things.'

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'll be nice and give this a 2/5 for the polls.
    I was bored the whole time and didn't laugh once.

The opening (which we've seen) was awful... and it was bizzare not to hear intro music before the ep started but they still flashed The SImpsons TV title card quick... seemed odd without a quick 2 second *bump bump bum*.

But seeing Homer father 100 kids... has scared me for life.
    I'l give them credit for that b/c that's an f'd up "American Dad!" esque twist.

Anyway it almost seemed as if the episode itself was bored with itself, If that's possible!
    And It certainly had a ton of meta humor in it that fell flat for me.
    Jeff Gordon's ultra fast cameo mocking Simpsons celeb cameos, the buried old dead Simpsons, the THOH of refrence, just weren't working for me.

I give "Adventures in Almost Nothing" a 3/10 overall.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 11-04-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked this episode! 4/5 it kept me interested and entertained. I also loved the "I'm going to accident" and "Look in the mirror that's YOUR argument."

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: friz

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

A pretty low-key, inoffensive episode. Marge having that epiphany at the beginning of the episode seems relatable, at least to a small degree; I think we've all regretted a decision because it would prevent us from doing other options, although those options would probably never come to fruition anyway (like "too bad that gym shut down. I was REALLY looking forward to going to it..."). I liked the meta-humor with Bart and Milhouse, but the whole ep just kind of seemed to meander along. The ending was pretty goofy, which in itself was a clever solution to the plot. We got some nice Marge / Homer moments, and that's about it; Lisa's wasn't too interesting to begin with. I just hope I don't become too distracted by Julie Kavner's line delivery. Looking forward to next week's.

Formerly known as E.A. Moz

I liked it! As others have mentioned, the episode was filled with pretty "cute" jokes which kept me laughing. This episode was a major upgrade compared to the Moonshine episode! I'm proud to give this a 4/5!

f**kface von clownstick Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm liking the positive reviews so far.

Blog Entries

Surprisingly solid. Loved Cartwright's reading on "today it was something stupid like Mousetraps are Not Shoes" line. Laughed a lot throughout the episode. Season 24's hit out three 4/5s in a row now.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Funny that despite not having a conventional opening, we still got a chalkboard gag. If they end up using Lisa's suggestion for a later episode ill be impressed.

Blog Entries

WHY ARE ALL THE ONES I MISS SUPPOSEDLY GOOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

heeeals! you guys are brutal! zach's Avatar

Adventures in Baby-Getting - Probably F
    looks like you need to watch the episode before you judge.

heeeals! you guys are brutal! zach's Avatar

not me though, i love krusty.

Blog Entries

C'mon, gals.

Blog Entries

I didn't see the whole thing, but I didn't really mind what I did see. They shouldn't have rehashed a gag from 'Selmas Choice', though.
    Last edited by zartok-35; 11-04-2012 at 09:15 PM.

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really enjoyed this episode. Very impressed. Good humour and story all-round, no Jerkass Homer in this episode and a good ending. Big step up from Moonshine River for sure. Wasn't really connected with Lisa's subplot, but it still kept me entertained.

8.2/10 rounded to a 4/5
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has the show ever actually shown Lisa writing in cursive before? I did learn it in the 2nd Grade myself but I have to believe it has....
    I think she wrote in cursive in her journal in S9's Lisa the Simpson... didn't she?

Thread Information