View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Frighteningly Fun Episode!

22 16.79%
  • 4/5 Can I join the United Federation of Homers Through History?

53 40.46%
  • 3/5 Deal with a devil? How can I lose!?

31 23.66%
  • 2/5 I doubt the black hole would take this.

19 14.50%
  • 1/5 If only the Mayans were right....

6 4.58%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Treehouse of Horror XXIII" (PABF17)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Treehouse of Horror XXIII" (PABF17)

October 7, 2012: The Twenty-Third Annual Halloween Special includes:

The Greatest Story Ever Holed: Professor Frink inadvertently creates a black hole that threatens to suck up all of Springfield.

UNnormal Activity: Something really strange is happening in the Simpson house in this send up of the Paranormal Activity franchise, and it may have something to do with Marge's past.

Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure: Bart travels back in time to get comic books at a cheaper price but inadvertently alters the future. Marge is now married to Artie Ziff.

Plus an opening inspired by the Mayan prophecy of the world ending in 2012! Discuss!!

Banned
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

Wow.

Contender for worst THOH ever...

Blog Entries

I thought it was pretty good. Much better than last year's anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

Banned
    Blog Entries

It was so fucking boring and short.

Professional Burger Stealer Krusty Burglar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty short, but it was still pretty funny. 3/5

I quite enjoyed it

3,5/5

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

So... the Fox announcer started off the animation block by prefacing Treehouse of Horror XXII as "a classic Treehouse of Horror." I literally had to stop myself from punching the TV. (That wasn't a joke, and yes... that really is how much of an angry old bastard I am.)

Now, onto this year's "classic."
    Okay, the Mayan God making Washington and Lincoln kiss made me laugh, but it was the only laugh during the intro. (Even though that gag has been over used in The Simpsons....)
    The Greatest Story Ever Holed:
    Holy crap. That was funny, smart, and entertaining! My only qualm was Kirk Van Houten unnecessarily reminding us that he's pathetic. That joke was just lazy, plain and simple.
    UNnormal Activity:
    (Great. Another parody of a movie I haven't seen. Probably won't get this one....)
    Annnnnd, it's over. So much promise, killed in a single act.
    Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure:
    (Now THIS is the act I've been waiting on! Please, please, PLEASE don't disappoint me!)
    Super. It's a callback to The Way We Was AND a Back to the Future parody!
    Loved Yeardley Smith's phlegm take!
    Marge: "Even you, Caveman Homer!"
    Homer: "That's Renaissance Homer."

So, a pretty good first and third act (assuming that Mayan intro doesn't count as an act...) but as far as the second act goes, STOP DOING THE DAMN MOVIE PARODIES. THE SIMPSONS ARE NO LONGER GOOD AT THEM. STOP IT. JUST STOP IT.
    This would have been a 4.5 rounded up to a 5 if it hadn't been for that horrible second act movie parody. So, it gets a solid 4/5 from me. At any rate, I'm sure everyone will agree that this is a MAJOR improvement over last year's shit fest.
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 10-07-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Banned
    Blog Entries

-1989/10

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Quote Originally Posted by PythonMoleman View Post
    -1989/10
    Instead of looking down at the episode and calling it names, why don't you explain your thoughts reasonably like most people do in their personal reviews?

Blog Entries

Wow.
    Contender for worst THOH ever...
    It was so fucking boring and short.
    -1989/10
    Three shitposts in under five minutes. Is that a new record for you? :gfto:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    Three shitposts in under five minutes. Is that a new record for you? :gfto:
    Because I fucking hated this week's episode, and I'm talking about it, then you want me to gtfo?

I'm laughing at your utter fucking stupidity.

Blog Entries

Because I fucking hated this week's episode, and I'm talking about it, then you want me to gtfo?

...at least I took the time to explain my utter fucking stupidity with a coherent review.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Opening: Good God, what the fuck was that? Crazy Iguana Lady, Quetzal's pretzels, Obama references in ancient times, Homer being stomped by giant statues. To put it simply: Worst. Opening. Ever.

1st Segment: A black hole in Springfield? Somewhat good idea, but it lead to a bunch of unfunny jokes and plus, what the fuck was with Mel being ripped out by his skeleton? The pacifier resolution was kinda funny, though, as were the Zune jokes. 2/5 (D)

2nd Segment: It was somewhat tolerable - Homer singing and dancing in the bathroom was funny. But then there was that ending that ruined it all - Homer having sex with two demons, Also, Devil Flanders was 1,000x funnier than Devil Moe. 2/5 (D-)

3rd Segment: Despite the cliched premise, this was actually pretty good. The forest fire joke was downright hilarious. My only complaint was that the timeframe would make Homer and Marge 56 years old. 4/5 (B)

Overall: 3/5 (C)

Better than last years by a moderate amount.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mayan Intro: I got a couple of really big laughs here. Definitely artificial and joke-based, but a nice addition to the three main segments.
    8/10

The Greatest Story Ever Holed: Mostly pretty good. I think they exploit the idea of a black hole pretty nicely, and I like the way the hole is finally stopped. However, I am a little disappointed by the ending, as it wastes a great opportunity on clichéd aliens-meet-humans gags after the segment builds up so much anticipation. 7.5/10

UnNormal Activity: I wasn't a big fan of this. The jokes were mostly unfunny aside from the fast-forwarding sequences, and there was no kind of exciting plot. The weakest segment without a doubt. 4.5/10

Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure: YES! The writers of the show are still loyal to the show's original episodes! Even though no time travel-related ToH segment can hold a candle to Time and Punishment from ToHV, this still takes great advantage of the idea by returning to The Way We Was, exploring the possibility of what would happen if Marge had married Artie instead of Homer. It's also pretty entertaining to see the 1974 Homer enter the present day. The references to Back to the Future and Bill & Ted are clever and integrate into the story well.
    9/10

My overall rating for this episode: 8/10
    Last edited by Infinity183; 10-07-2012 at 04:53 PM.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

4/5

My favorite THOH since XX

Mayan intro: Alright, then again it was just an intro. It was a little too long for my tastes. Still, I like that they played off of 2012. 3/5

The Greatest Story Ever Holed: Really loved this one! Animation was excellent, really had a creepy vibe in the same way that HOMER3 had. Ending was a tad weak, but didn't ruin it for me. 4.5/5

UNnormal Activity: The first person gimmick made this one. The story itself was nothing special, but I did like all the camera gags and fast forward tricks. I was ready to hate the threesome ending, until it ended up being the demons screaming "cinnamon". Oh yeah, also loved Demon Moe's design. Up there with Witch Marge and Devil Flanders. 4/5

Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure: Lots of fun callbacks to The Way We Was and I'm always up for a BTTF parody. Felt odd having Frink the catalyst for the story again. Wish teen Homer and modern Homer interacted more. Still, a fun segment but not the strongest of the three. 4/5

Overall a great THOH, each segment had fun ideas and were executed really well. I was surprised that this years was hardly gory, yet it ended up being really good.

edit: Forgot to mention: RADIOACTIVE MAN got some screen time! Now I want to actually read that issue.
    UP AND ATOM!

That's not explaining reasonably, that's just trash talk to another person. Look at Irvine's review, it's not trash talk that's attacking the episode. His review explains both the pros and cons, explaining his personal thoughts why he thought it was a mix of good and bad for the episode. You can post a review that's negative, it just has to be informative, in your personal view, so people can understand your opinion, rather than look away and get the wrong idea that your a person who just hates the new episodes completely without acknowledging some aspects..

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

This episode I think is a major improvement over last year, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. It was a good episode, and definitely the better of the 2 episodes so far this season. I liked all the acts with the first being the weakest, but the 3 halloween stories being good-written, full of laughs, and in the Black Hole one had Lisa talking a lot but she wasn't THAT annoying! I've never seen anything like it! Overall it was a pretty good episode, but it did have it's flaws. Like I mentioned, the opening was not good. Moes head got cut off, some weird statues destroyed the world after stopping at the Simpson place, and a montage of landmarks being wrecked. BUT, overall it's not the intro that counts, it's the 3 stories. So I have to give this episode 4/5 overall. I may change it after a second viewing sometime this week but for now, I'm feeling much better about what the rest of season 24 will be like.

Blog Entries

The segments all had a very fast pace giving no time to breathe. I think this is more forgivable in Halloween shows though. Anyway here's my thoughts by segment:

Mayan Intro: It got the job done but was probably a bit too long. Nothing really funny except a line here or there. I liked the Mayan Obama blame but think it will be hated here.

Greatest Story Ever Holed: They had fun with the black hole idea and Bart throwing in Edna was funny. It went by rather fast as I've said but I thought it was an "okay" start. Probably the weakest of the three segments. 3/5. Liked Maggie's pacifier stopping it. I actually thought about that as I was making the poll options this morning and trying to use this segment in a "this sucks" kinda scenario.

UNnormal Activity: Homer was very funny throughout this. "We have stairs?!" was the biggest laugh of the episode for me. Great line delivery. He honestly reminded me of Randy from that South Park a few years back that spoofed Cloverfield, and I mean that in a good way. His threesome ending was funny too. Probably my favorite segment. 4/5, I should note I haven't seen the Paranormal Activity films but still enjoyed this. Maybe if I had seen those films I wouldn't have liked this.

Bart and Homer's Excellent Adventure: Again, a very fast pace and I think that might have hurt this segment the most. I wanted to know more, see more, and Marge instantly falling for the Homer's feels like the only "cop out" here even though it is a THOH. Still,l I enjoyed several things such as the Middle East protester and Renaissance Homer. Lisa giving us a Jon Lovitz "ackum!" was great too. 3.5/5

That's what I'll give this on a first watch, a 3.5/5. I'll be kind and give it a 4 on the poll. Better than the last couple but not even close to "Treehouse XX."

PS: Shortest Kang and Kodos appearance yet. I think it was probably cut somewhat.

PPS: Harry Shearer had all of I think 2 lines in this episode.

Banned
    Blog Entries

First of all, it was just plain short. Right when things were actually beginning to get interesting, the act ends. I feel as if they had so many missed opportunities, with barely any funny jokes. The best act was the first one, because of the fact it actually felt like they tried, instead of copying directly from a movie.

Also, the opening act was LONG. I seriously thought it was the first act, and not just the opening of the episode. The 2012 references were unneeded, because of the fact the actual acts should be making fun of 2012.

Finally, it was just plain boring. I can't tell you a single thing about the Paranormal Activity parody, because it failed to capture my interest. At least with XXII, it had some memorability to it. I can tell you what happened in XXII, but in this, it barely captured my interest. Therefore, it was just unmemorable for me.

If you like it, that's fine with me, I'm open to people's different opinions. But I guess it didn't do it for me.

1/5

That was actually pretty good. You could make a good case that last year was one of the worst Halloween Specials ever (and I'm sure many have), but this year, they got it right.

It didn't start that way though. I realize they want to make use of the 4-act format, but seriously, the pre-story stingers have to be shortened. The Mayan opening just wasn't that funny and felt like two different ideas crammed together. Not to mention that the space aliens really got the shaft this year, they got more screentime in the promos than in the actual episode!

After that, I actually enjoyed all three stories quite a bit, with a misstep here and there of course. The first story certainly had the feel of the yearly Halloween story that just feels like a series of jokes glued together (like the story where everyone turned into their costumes, or the board game story from previous years), but this episode was saved by some very funny gags like Homer's elongated fingers and the cat disappearing, as well as some impressive animation. The sights of all the objects and people going into the whole, as well as just the look of the hole and the way it bended space around it was great to look at. I must say though, what brings this down a touch is the ending, very abrupt, not worth the extra time it got, and it felt like it belonged to a different story. I wish they had ended this story a minute earlier.

My favorite act was the Paranormal Activity story though. As someone who really can't stand these movies coming out year after year, I was happy to see the show not only do a parody of it, but also go all out with the format and feel. If you are going to a parody of a "found footage" movie like this, go all out with shots done with a hand-held camera. Most of the gags were really funny, and they certainly got as much comedy as they could out of those cameras, from the point of view shots and conversations, the speed-up and slow-down, I was just disappointed that they didn't get more mileage out of those multiple cameras all on at once. The ending again was a bit abrupt, but it was pretty funny.

When I figured out that this was going to be a Back to the Future parody, I had alot of ideas in my head as to how it would play out, either a retread of Time and Punishment, or just a full on parody with Bart trying to get Homer and Marge back together. Instead, they were more original, and they surprised me with what they were able to do. The callbacks to The Way We Was were a nice touch, between Artie returning, the use of The Carpenters, and the recreations of scenes. It was a little jarring how the story essentially changed from being a Bart story to being a Homer story, and the ending was a bit confusing. Bart just disappears for the most part, and we just cut to all those Homers back in the traditional Simpson house. Kind of weird how all three stories had very abrupt endings, I wonder if the length of episodes these days and the extended openings are partially to blame for that. Still, seeing all those different Homers was kind of fun.

This was a balanced, funny, and original Halloween episode, and a real breath of fresh air not only after last week's episode, but last year's Halloween special. Let's hope the rest of the season is more like this week, and not more like last week's. 4/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Surprisingly short. When it ended my first thought was "That's It?". Either way, it was actually pretty funny and the stories weren't bad. The Bart going back in time story was the worst of the three, but it still wasn't that bad. Kinda felt like that story could be an episode of its own better then being condensed into one little segment. In my opinion this was one of the best THOHs in a few years. 4/5

Blog Entries

Maybe it's because this year I haven't been spoiling myself with updates on season 24, but this was actually pretty enjoyable for me in terms of the jean era. Definitely the best since THOH XX mainly due to the fact that each segment used it's time wisely to tell the story. There wasn't really anything to groan at joke-wise. I found myself laughing at fun story-driven moments and a couple of one-liners. It wasn't an uproarious riot, but each segment actually felt like a solid contribution to the episode. My favorite was probably the black hole and the last one was good although it felt a bit fizzled by it's last couple of minutes, but nonetheless was way better than those rushed, lazy ideas we've been getting in recent years. The paranormal parody was alright too.

The only thing that kind of didn't make sense was why was 70's Homer able to meet his future self, but Bart BECAME his future self? I'm not about to question time travel and the way the universe works just to nipick this in a segment of THOH that's just supposed to be a fun story though, so no big deal.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I really wanted to like this episode, but I just couldn't.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I also really liked using Bond movie posters during the time travel segment rather than clocks. It's topical, since Bond turned 50 two days ago.

Blog Entries

i am going to wait till i watch w/ podcast to judge
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling (1904-1963)

" Well i always thought if a song was not going to say something, it should be an instrumental "
    - Gil Scott Heron ( NPR 1985 )

Banned
    Blog Entries

For the most part I enjoyed it and it did have some laughs.
    The first act was okay, the second act was quite funny (maybe b/c I just saw "VHS"), and the final act was kinda lame but had some great parts too and good callbacks.

Overall a 7.9 out of 10.

Much better than last years THOH that was replayed before this ep, that's for sure.

loves chimney stacks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not going to watch it until later, but I do like seeing the mostly positive reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Tubbb!

Blog Entries

halfway through the podcast highly enjoyable....

I was really impressed with this year's THOH, I felt the 2nd and 3rd stories felt a little rushed, but that's fairly forgivable considereing the format. "The Greatest Story Ever Holed" was probably my favorite of the three segments, it was an incredibly tight segment, never felt rushed, and the ending didn't feel like a cop out (something all of the segments last year failed to achieve). I also enjoyed the intro quite a bit, definitely better than the last few intros I've been pretty disappointed with the THOH episodes as of late, but this year felt like a strong return to form, well for the late post-classical era at least.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Mixed feelings, really.

Isn't it odd that the "2012" phenomenon got old in about 2010? It made the whole thing a little superfluous, but I enjoyed the character designs of the Mayan Sprinfieldians and Marge's way of tricking Mayan Moe. Frink and Quimby just about took all the steam from all of it - and then the Mayans came to smash up the place. That left me scratching my head. Creative, but lacked overall direction. They shouldn't've mentioned Obama. These openings used to be fewer than two minutes long; I miss them.

The Black Hole: A good premise with some interesting jokes. Led to a kind of funny conclusion, but certainly nothing special.

Unnormal Activity: Lame name but some great animation direction. The segment really was building up some suspense, which appeared atypical for post-classic THOH segments. Homer spending what turned out to be several hours in the bathroom was kind of quirky, and I was laughing despite myself. The ending was truly disgusting (though perhaps less so than Devil Maude and the Devil being in cahoots at the end of that Dexter parody last year). Overall, a good premise.

Bart and Homer: Was a victim of the show's fast pace. Could have done without the last thirty seconds; the rest was very, very good. I don't think people would have understood her one line in this segment if one doesn't have a good grasp of Jon Lovitz's bits. I liked the "present Homer and past Homer" teaming up but, like the others, the payoff didn't come through in the ending.

Each premise felt like it could have potential (except for the 2012 opener, which is more obligatory based on the whole 2012 myth than anything else). Some silly endings sour what could have been a collection of solid post-classic THOH entries. But no; 2012's ending will be Obama's fault. A dude from the Mayan civilization reminded me of this.

Thread Information