Results 5,251 to 5,270 of 5270

Thread: Family Guy general discussion/upcoming episode thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grifty McGrift View Post
    FAMILY GUY IS IMPROVING THIS SEASON!! >:c
    lmfao

Quote Originally Posted by John95 View Post
    @YeahBart, Well, yeah. It's nothing compared to the earlier seasons (mainly 2 through 4), but it was a hell of a lot better than at least 12 and 13 (and maybe half of 14).

Though one thing I think you would agree on that has been improving (at least in my eyes) is that the show hasn't been as gory as it's been in the last couple of years. It's still there, but they don't go as overboard with it as they would in say... Any of the seasons from 2010 through early 2015. Of course, there have been some exceptions within the last 2 and a half-ish years that feel like something I'd expect from Seasons 8 through 13 gore wise such as the Tarantino portion of Three Directors since the only "Joke" of that entire segment was "Tarantino movies are violent as shit!".
    yeah, i'd have to agree on that. there hasn't been a lot of gore through the years.
    Shut Up, Flanders! >:C

Wrote the book on flimflammin Grifty McGrift's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The show is definitely improving though. Most episodes this season so far has gotten a 4/5, some 5's, and the last one is the first to get a 3.
    EDIT: Foxx in the Men House got a 3/5 too.

I doubt anyone was losing sleep over this, but I think I stumbled upon the reason they're skipping GACX in the prod codes, and going straight to HACX...
    https://gacx.io/

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Beggs

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Someone has posted a picture of the "For Your (Emmys) Consideration" Family Guy DVD; it has the two episodes "Send in Stewie, Please" and "Dog Bites Bear" on it. It is not clear which one will be submitted for Animated Program, although I have a feeling "Dog Bites Bear" will be the choice, with "Send in Stewie, Please" being there for voiceover for Seth and/or Ian McKellan.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    The obvious solution is, they'll attach his father's - it's not as if she needs it any more anyway.
    Gee, what a surprise...

Another "surprise": Family Guy keeps its Sunday 9:00 timeslot next season - at least, for the fall. There's a slim chance it moves to 8:30 so Fox can air The Orville or [I]Gotham{/I] (or a new season of Cosmos) at 9:00 when they return in January, but that would mean moving Bob's Burgers back to 7:30 when everybody would have gotten used to its new 8:30 slot.

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Someone on Twitter predicted how it would end: https://twitter.com/rollingboy420/st...35016033730560

He's a fortune teller , just like the Simpsons.
    Simpsons: 4 > 6 = 7 > 5 > 3 > 8 > 2 > 14 > 15 > 13 = 10 > 9 > 16 > 20 > 1 > 24 = 21 > 26 > 22 = 25 > 23 > 19 = 27 > 18 = 28 > 12 > 11 > 17 = 29

Family Guy: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 = 6 > 15 > 16 > 10 > 14 > > 7 = 11 = 9 > 8 > 12 = 13

American Dad: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 8 > 9 > 7 = 11 > 10 > 13 (so far) > 12

The Cleveland Show: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3

Futurama: 5 > 4 = 1 > 2 = 3 > 7 > 6

Rick and Morty: 2 > 1 > 3

Just saw the preview for Are You There God? It's Me, Peter and yep it would appear as though this season's gonna end on a thud after all... It pretty much confirms my fear that it'll probably be Brian and Stewie II in regards to mostly focusing on two characters both of whom are voiced by Seth.

Also, it turns out that the ending to The Unkindest Cut is not only stupid but a retcon because in Quagmire's Dad Ida ended up keeping her penis by having the doctor turn it inside out to stimulate a vagina.
    Family Guy Season 16 Ratings - Emmy-Winning Episode: 3/5 Foxx in the Men House: 2.5/5 Nanny Goats: 1.5/5 Follow the Money: 4/5 Three Directors: 1.5/5 The D in Apartment 23: .5/5 Petey IV: 0/5 Crimes and Meg's Demeanor: 3.5/5 Don't Be a Dickens at Christmas: 3.5/5 Brian Dates a Bitch: 3.5/5 Dog Bites Bear: 2.5/5 Send in Stewie, Please: 0/5 V is for Mystery: 1.5/5 Veteran Guy: 1/5 Woof of Wall Street: .5/5 Family Guy Through the Years: 2.5/5 Flip and Switch: 2.5/5 HTTPete: 0/5 The Unkindest Cut: TBD Are You There God? It's Me, Peter: TBD

Junior Camper

Just saw the preview for Are You There God? It's Me, Peter and yep it would appear as though this season's gonna end on a thud after all... It pretty much confirms my fear that it'll probably be Brian and Stewie II in regards to mostly focusing on two characters both of whom are voiced by Seth.

Also, it turns out that the ending to The Unkindest Cut is not only stupid but a retcon because in Quagmire's Dad Ida ended up keeping her penis by having the doctor turn it inside out to stimulate a vagina.
    I'm not keeping my hopes high on this episode. If it's going to be another Brian and Stewie episode, I'm going to scream. Those 2 are so annoying we really need a break from them and Seth should let other cast members be in the spotlight.

I've been watching Season 10 and 11 for curiosity, and am I the only one who's noticed that Family Guy went through a small renaissance in those seasons? They started focusing on characters, and character driven plots again and referenced the first three seasons. Which was rare, because for the last three seasons before 10, they barely acknowledged the first three seasons ever existed. It wasn't as good, but it was at least trying to be more faithful to them. Seth MacFarlane stepping down after Season 9 definitely helped. The only things plaguing these episodes were the mean spiritedness and nihilism affecting these episodes that came over from the last three seasons of the show. They probably couldn't stray too much from the vision created since the revival. But when Mark Hentemann walked out and Richard Appel took over, the ratings tanked and they instead tried to be more like Season 7.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: fas1997

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButtahJellyTime View Post
    I've been watching Season 10 and 11 for curiosity, and am I the only one who's noticed that Family Guy went through a small renaissance in those seasons? They started focusing on characters, and character driven plots again and referenced the first three seasons. Which was rare, because for the last three seasons before 10, they barely acknowledged the first three seasons ever existed. It wasn't as good, but it was at least trying to be more faithful to them. Seth MacFarlane stepping down after Season 9 definitely helped. The only things plaguing these episodes were the mean spiritedness and nihilism affecting these episodes that came over from the last three seasons of the show. They probably couldn't stray too much from the vision created since the revival. But when Mark Hentemann walked out and Richard Appel took over, the ratings tanked and they instead tried to be more like Season 7.
    No you're not the only. I thought seasons 10-11 were slight improvement (even 11 did start to decline a bit towards the end). They did started to tone down Brian's mouthpiece talk from MacFarlane that was plagued seasons 7-9.

So far, Alec Sulkin's tenure had been fine so far, but he hadn't listened to the common criticism such as getting rid of overly long gags, random gore just to shock viewers, uninspiring plots, etc. It what killed Season 16 from being better than 15. I will make a thread of the season later.

Blog Entries

It seems that's just how some dumbass writers assume a sex change operation works. Even in the episode where Ida has the surgery Dr. Hartman comes out and goes "Wow, that thing was ON there!" implying he did in fact chop it off.
    How to remaster

Junior Camper

What would you like to see next season? I want more Meg. Also, I want to see Brian and Stewie get lives outside the house,meet and get new friends and stop depending on each other. Seeing them together is boring and repetative. More Peter and Brian because they are funnier. Also, how about Stewie and Chris? They're brothers and I love the bonding. How about Brian meeting more talking dogs and human friends both male and female? And how about Brian having female friends who can just be friends instead of having sex? How about Lois, Bonnie and Donna having an adventure? More Meg episodes and no Meg bashing. Differant teams would add more variety and Chris with Brian and Stewie is great they are like the 3 Stooges. Stewie (Moe), Brian (Larry) and Chris (Curley). Give Meg more personality and look. More episodes that involve the FAMILY!!! Also, when they do another special episode, make one that stars a non Seth character. Send in Stewie was awful and Stewie is overdeveloped and we don't need another episode just focusing so much on Seth hogging the spotlight. I hope next season will be better.

I'm not holding out much hope for it, but I'd like to see them retire/phase out some of their overdone running jokes. From Meg bashing to stereotypical shtick with Joe and Mort, to explaining the joke ahead of time and overly-long gags, a lot of that stuff has been absolutely done to death, and has made a lot of the episodes in recent years paint-by-numbers and examples of Family Guy Bingo. A lot of opportunities for great humour has been squandered by falling back on the same tired jokes. Plots and jokes alike are predictable and overused.

It's strange because they have shown a willingness to retire a lot of their old standards and change up the status quo over the years. The vaudeville duo were killed off (save for a couple of cameos) as was the "Big whoop, wanna fight about it?" guy, the Evil Monkey in Chris' closet left (with a story coming out of it), Stewie trying to kill Lois was recognised as having run its course, and so on. Peter has changed jobs, characters have left the show, or developed (though not always for the better, admittedly). They seem to have realised certain things were getting old, but keep running others into the ground.

I'd also like to see them tone down the acerbic and mean-spirited moments, as well as times when they try to be edgy and offensive in the most blatant and uninspired way. Dark humour is fine, but all too often they rely on characters acting like jerks and assuming it will automatically be funny, rather than being funny in a dark and acerbic way. It's also jarring when they try to do an episode when you're meant to care about the characters, when so many other episodes paint them as unsympathetic and often downright nasty individuals that you shouldn't care about. I'm all for the characters being dysfunctional and jokes that are funny in a dark way, but the current approach often leaves me with a feeling of "OK, they're being horrible to each other. So? Where's the joke?".

Basically, I'd like to see more of the wit and cleverness that was apparent in earlier seasons, before they became too invested in bashing shows, celebrities, and select characters, and trying to be offensive just for the sake of it. They may fancy themselves as George Carlin, but they're more like a kid reading old standards from a politically incorrect joke book. At this point, a lot of that stuff isn't even offensive so much as boring. It's less "How dare you?" and more "So, are you actually going to tell a joke, or just be crude and hope you get a laugh?".
    A little less Generic than before.

At the very least, I'd like for there to be more diversity in the number of episodes given to characters who aren't Peter, Brian, Stewie or one of the guys.

Not counting subplots, Lois & Meg only got one episode each where they were integral to the main plot and both were shared with Peter. I don't give a shit about Chris so I have no problem with him suffering the same problem as well.

Also @Beggs, they went back to the vaudeville duo only once after they were killed off and never again afterwards.

They also had a non-speaking appearance here:

From memory, that and their appearances as ghosts are the only times they've appeared since being killed off. That's what I was referring to.

Junior Camper

Beggs you are so right on everything. I hate when they explain the joke and ruin it. What was the point? That's bad comedy. If you explain the joke, THERE IS NO JOKE! Yes John 95 more diversity would help. More Meg and a lot less on characters not voiced by Seth. We could all use a break from them.

@Beggs, OK, yeah thanks for reminding me of that one.

I honestly didn't care much for that episode and haven't rewatched it since the first time I saw it so that would explain why I forgot about them being there.

I know what you mean. If I hadn't happened to randomly catch it again not that long ago, I wouldn't have remembered. In any event, it's an example of how they have shown an awareness of how certain jokes have run their course, so it's baffling why they keep running others into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow ken View Post
    Beggs you are so right on everything. I hate when they explain the joke and ruin it. What was the point? That's bad comedy. If you explain the joke, THERE IS NO JOKE! Yes John 95 more diversity would help. More Meg and a lot less on characters not voiced by Seth. We could all use a break from them.
    For sure. There are situations where you could subvert the usual structure of a joke and make it funnier by explaining it, but like overly-long gags, they're very specific examples and work best when the technique isn't being overused. It's even worse when Family Guy combines the two of them, explaining what a character is about to do, and then making it into a gag that goes on for way too long. It has worked here and there, but it's usually unfunny padding.

@Beggs, To my best understanding they seem to only retire overdone jokes if even they're sick of them like the "Big whoop!" guy. Verne & Johnny (and maybe Conway Twitty) are the only ones they've retired due to fan backlash.

I suppose that doesn't bode well for freshening things up anytime soon. A shame. Old standards and running gags are one thing, but they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of their bits.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: John95

Thread Information