View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Spy Who Learned Me" (PABF13)?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: From Russia with Love

9 11.11%
  • 4/5: Goldeneye

23 28.40%
  • 3/5: For Your Eyes Only

22 27.16%
  • 2/5: Die Another Day

18 22.22%
  • 1/5: Quantum of Solace

9 11.11%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Spy Who Learned Me" (PABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Good episode but I have some questions:

+ Did the documentary guy die?
    + So all this time, Lou is all a figment of Chief Wiggum's imagination?

The beginning felt like a rehash of Colonel Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Smiley View Post
    This has to be one of the longest episodes story wise. It takes place during the time Homer was off which was two months.
    What about the episode where they're getting the kitchen redone? It skips forward a year and nothing has changed.

If you mean that the plot develops over two months, well that's an interesting point.

Glowing strong for 50 years Holiday Cheervine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musa View Post
    I expect the DHS to do a kick-ass compare and contrast sometime in the future.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When Homer was hitting himself with that rock, one of the hallucinations should've been that talking bar rag and Homer's reply: "Oh, god! What's the point of THAT!?".

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    When Homer was hitting himself with that rock, one of the hallucinations should've been that talking bar rag and Homer's reply: "Oh, god! What's the point of THAT!?".
    That would mean Consistency
    The Simpsons dont like Consistency

Pretend it's a reindeer Financial Prancer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, it appears the writers do occasionally make somewhat of an effort to be consistent; this episode had a return of Declan Desmond, and the last one showed Cregg Demon, so they don't completely blow it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by dman360 View Post
    Don't tell what to do fuck face, and I'm not changing it I do what I want so fuck you bitch
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Homer's Triple Bypass Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by irvine_11 View Post
    I expect the DHS to do a kick-ass compare and contrast sometime in the future.
    Those are usually great, and way better than their "Crazy Noises".

Ringo Next HANDSOME.S4.E6.XMAS.GUYS.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Actually, it appears the writers do occasionally make somewhat of an effort to be consistent; this episode had a return of Declan Desmond, and the last one showed Cregg Demon, so they don't completely blow it off.
    Well they completely added to the stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
    Oreo: creme or cookie
    My friend is a big creme supporter and beat me up because i like the cookie better.

Twitter

R.I.P. Marcia "Edna" Wallace! Edgar Allan Moz's Avatar

I've really come to enjoy this episode more and more with every watch! This episode blows last week's episode right out of the water!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mozy View Post
    I've really come to enjoy this episode more and more with every watch! This episode blows last week's episode right out of the water!
    The waves from a two year old doing the doggy paddle would blow last weeks episode out of the water.

Hell, the movie Battleship is probably a better comedy, internationally or not, than A Totally fun thing that Bart will never do Again.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Well they completely added to the stories.
    The Desmond documentary gave Bart the idea for the B-plot so it definitely did. The Cregg Demon cameo was just that, a cameo to say "Hey, we remembered a recent episode!" I liked both personally...

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Not sure why this ep is labeled a "marriage crisis". Felt more like a "marriage spat", which couples get into all the time. I don't think the show should always have the "I'm leaving you, Homer" plot, but I don't mind the "Marge is mad at Homer, but not mad enough to divorce" plots. Because like I said, couples get into those all the time. As long as the writers don't make each time a "OMG she's gonna leave him" event, they work for me. And this one worked because it wasn't a "I'm packing my bags, Homer" plot.
    Who cares? Its still the same tired ground Jean and friends have done ad nauseum in place of new, interesting stories. Even when they tread new ground or attempt something interesting, they always just shoe horn the marriage crisis/spat crap back in. At this point I don't even see why episodes have to be centered around Homer, Marge, Bart and Lisa anymore with much extended universe to use. Yet the few times they have strayed away from this, it ends up being terrible like Moe's talking bar rag (which was mostly the Simpson family substituting people in the past anyway).

Remember, this is the same show that gave us episodes about comets hitting Springfield, monorails crashing, Radioactive Man: the Movie, and god knows how many other stories that were interesting on their own. You weren't just watching and waiting for the jokes to come up, you also actually cared about how the plot would turn out.

At this point, how could anyone watching possibly give a shit how a Homer and Marge fight will turn out?

This was a pretty good episode; the marriage trouble main plot was entertaining and the subplot was nice too. The James Bond parody was good fun without feeling so forced and how they worked the central character into the story as a imaginary helper to Homer was wierd, but was pulled off rather nicely. I enjoyed the subplot about Bart tricking Nelson to get obese too even though it wasn't perfect; the ending was pretty solid, though. Favorite parts were definitely Declan Desmond's new documentary about Krusty Burger and Lou as a figment of Wiggum's imagination.

3/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

There are a few video promos for the Lady GaGa ep online now, just search youtube.......

Banned
    Blog Entries

I dread the day that episode airs.

Why so much hate?

This was actually my favorite episode since How I Wet Your Mother. I see it's being compared to Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson. I also loved that. Not one of my favorites this season but I don't see why it's so hated.

Blog Entries

My feelings about this were similar to Tubb!'s points, except I wouldn't call it a bad episode. Seemed kinda lazily done but had funny moments. I particularly disliked how badly they packaged the passage of time; having to think about that kinda ruined it for me if I'm honest. I also thought the robot gag was cheap and Family Guy-like. I'm starting to think I prefer episodes where there are subtle references to get that I don't get, than references that scream at you or badly character-driven plots where I would notice the deficit.

I felt that it was something they put in to add to Wiggum's patheticness - like, half the time he has thought Lou was around, he was imagining it, and yet it never came up. That also wouldn't necessarily mean any of the times Lou has been featured were not real. Why are none of us Showrunner?
    Last edited by #Halloween; 05-09-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Junior Camper

I don't know why everyone is hatin' on this episode so much! I didn't think it was GREAT, but it was solid at least! There were some things brought back up in this episode that I haven't seen for a while, which made me happy... Homer's thoughts (though not as funny as seeing his imagination or his brain talking to him), Bart and Nelson back to being enemies, Bart using a voice other than whining, a B-plot that actually has some depth to it and is not simply a time filler, as so many b plots have been this season. Homer had some funny, not jerkass moments too, which I appreciated... and there were some parts that made me laugh. Plus, the story is pretty creative. It's interesting to see Homer as actually knowing what the fuck he's doing for once, I enjoy when characters switch up their roles a little. All in all, I'd give this episode inbetween a 3 and a 4 for modern standards.
    ps. I know I already said this but I just want to reiterate how happy I am that the B story was just as good as the A story. I haven't seen a good B story in a while

Junior Camper

Good episode but I have some questions:

+ Did the documentary guy die?

no, he didn't die, in the documentary they just said his foot was made into sausage
    and I don't think Lou has been an imagination this entire time, I think just at that moment.

Great episode. Best this season!

4/5

This season is strange. So many terrible episodes, but the good episodes are... quite good...
    Last edited by Üter; 05-11-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!

The lesson here is, never try Inblackestnight's Avatar

I don't post on recent episodes very often, because most aren't worth the time, but I felt this one deserved a little praise. It definitely wasn't the best ep I've seen but it was pretty entertianing IMHO compared to others this season. I gave it a 5 but I intended to give it a 4; plus I didn't quite get the Bond movie references in relation to the rating system. However, I do agree the whole Homer/Marge marriage spat is way over done to the point it really doesn't matter. In this ep Marge seemed to get mad at Homer for minute reasons, forgives him for practically no good reason, and doesn't get mad at him after finding out he spent some of his off-time with other women as well as relying on a hallucination to help him. Both storylines could've had a better resolution I think.

I confess, I watched the final 3 episodes of season 23 when I said I wouldn't.
    I wish I didn't.

2/5

A big snoozefest. Bryan Cranstion as Cain was a big miscast. Homer's plot was too lazily drawn out. The subplot involving Bart fattening up Nelson was quickly thought up.

I don't really liked this episode, but it was not horrible.
    3.5/5, 3/5 in the poll
    Last edited by uruguayo; 07-08-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Sorry for my english, i use the translator

Ringo Next HANDSOME.S4.E6.XMAS.GUYS.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does the swimming lighten you up a little or what?

R.I.P. Marcia "Edna" Wallace! Edgar Allan Moz's Avatar

If I could change my vote, I'd change it to a 5/5! I love this episode more and more every time I watch it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I can't believe the fact that they referenced The Simpsons Archive wasn't discussed more in this thread.

"The Spy Who Learned Me"

VERY GOOD
    + The documentary must be my favorite part of the episode
    + I glad how Marge didn't notice Homer had said "The three of us" in the car scene otherwise It would have killed the joke
    + Both plots had a great end. Loved homer and Marge conversation and Stradivarius Cain speech

GOOD

+ The "faces" scene (I put them together very poorly I know)
    + No one will tell me if I'm a ghost or not!"
    + MARGE -I have to take Maggie for her checkup. And a guy's coming to see what the smell is under the house.
    HOMER -I get it. You need your Marge time.

+ Kiss her. Kiss her while I watch.
    + It was a great seeing Homer trying to be a better husband

WEAK
    % The movie in the start of the episode
    % The Lime joke

BAD
    - Nelson bothering Milhouse mother
    - Homer touching Stradivarius Cain penis (As He said: "C'mon... really? Show a little class.)

FINAL THOUGHTS
    * When I first heard about this episode I thought It was gonna be awful but It turn out to be a really enjoyable episode However They really need to organize the acts better, The second one lasts ten minutes but the third one only two

you are going to kill me because I am not sure how write in english
    The Simpsons - Season 26: Clown in the Dumps: C- | The Wreck of the Relationship: A- | Super Franchise Me: B | Treehouse of Horror XXV: A- | Opposites A-Frack: A- | Simpsorama: B+
    Family guy - Season 13: The Simpsons Guy: C- | The Book of Joe: B | Baking Bad: C | Brian the Closer: C+
    American dad - Season 10: Roger Passes the Bar: B- | A Boy Named Michael: B | Blagsnarst, A Love Story: B |Blonde Ambition: B- | CIAPOW: B | Scents and Sensei-bility: B+ | Big Stan on Campus: C
    Bob's burgers - Season 4: Work Hard or Die Trying, Girl: B+ | Tina and the Real Ghost: B-

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

The main plot was actually not bad, although the Bolivian guy was unnecessary. This episode already had enough of a conflict without putting Homer in danger for no reason. Homer actually learned something for once, even if the way he learned it didn't make a lot of sense (he apparently already had this knowledge in him somehow... I guess maybe from watching movies). Furthermore, there wasn't anything I hated. The subplot was pointless, though. It was basically a bunch of scenes that followed some kind of plot, but it lazily jumped from one scene to another without any development. I did like Lisa's line at the end, however. Overall, well above average for the season, but still very flawed. 5/10
    Who ever heard of a sad clown?
    Tapped Out: QuiteCorking

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Senor Homer For The Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The plot isint very good but the humor is really good for a hd-episode. 3/5
    My quest to rewatch, grade and review all episodes of The Simpsons:
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...Reviews-Reborn

Blog Entries

Bryan Cranston was good. Other than that, just average. Generous 3/5.
    Season 26

|Clown in the Dumps - 3/10|The Wreck of the Relationship - 4/10|Super Franchise Me - 6/10|Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7.5/10|

Thread Information