Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Matt Groening have the power to re-shape the Simpsons ?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Does Matt Groening have the power to re-shape the Simpsons ?

By re-shape I mean make it to how it was i.e a good show.That is if he wanted to of course

Being the creater and all...

I don't know, ask him.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nope, cause it has never been his singlehandled effort. In fact he doesn't seem to be as much dedicated to it as Al Jean has been for example.

On the other hand I think Matt could be a great Executive Producer and writer if he were in the mood of partipating more, but if he hasn't done it in twenty three seasons I doubt he will do it now.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

To be fair he was actually quite involved in the first 4 seasons, but since then he's been pretty much detached from the series. There are so many producers besides just EP Al Jean that he probably wouldn't make a difference anyway.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by buyonferry View Post
    By re-shape I mean make it to how it was i.e a good show.That is if he wanted to of course

Being the creater and all...
    You can't just "re-shape" a series. It doesn't work that way. A makeover won't change the fact that they're heading towards season 24.

Also, you need to brush up on what exactly Matt Groening did in his role of putting the show together. You completely overlooked the people who actually RAN the show.

that's what am asking really.with him being the creater I thought he mite hav the biggest part on how the show was run if he chose too.

I single him out also cause he would seem to care the most although he does seem to be in denial judging by some DVD commentaries

were the people who ran the show higher up than MG ie couldn't he change to who he seemed fit

The caption should now read "GROENING" as this is the only part of the series he has to do with now:

Last edited by The Thompsons; 05-02-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Junior Camper

Can someone please tell me who is in charge of the show? I mean that as in, who is the person who proposes plots and deletes or okays certain things in the episodes and who decides which direction the show is going to go in? I'm pretty sure that the plots are decided as a team effort by all of the writers, but is there a single person whom they have to run them by and who checks them/edits them before the shows go on TV?

That would be our beloved Al Jean. In all truth he was in part responsible for some of the best episodes of all time with cohort Mike Reiss in the third and fourth seasons(plus a couple in the fifth season.) Generally the Executive Producer (or showrunner) has the power to green light or tweek story pitches from the writers. The showrunner and writers used to set aside time to go on a story retreat where this would usually occur, but alas this practice has gone by the wayside. Matt Selman has also been EP for a few episodes in this season as well.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Groening "creator" credit goes to creating the core family. Simon, Brooks, Groening colaberated in making the secondary characters and the rest of Springfield.

Back in the first few seasons, Groening had rules the family couldn't do things a real family couldn't do when it came to how cartoony the show could get. While not 100 percent realistic, the characters didn't come out unscathed like when Homer fell down the gorge. He didn't die, but he came up in serious condition. If that happened today, Homer would be hurt in once scene and then by dinner he'd be breakdancing.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

He can sack all the writers and put me in charge, I'd fix the show with my many original plots
    Season 26 Episode Ratings

1. Clown In The Dumps 0/10
    2. Wreck of the Relationship 6/10
    3. Super Franchise Me 6/10
    4. Treehouse of Horror XVV 7/10
    5. Opposites-a-Frack 3/10
    6. Simpsorama 9/10
    7. Blazed and Confused 7/10
    8. Covercraft 7/10

9. I Won't Be Home For Christmas ??/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is Matt Groening involved with the show anymore? Does he even watch the current episodes? If he did he would've fired Al Jean along time ago, unless he's gone insane.

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

I think only James L. Brooks can do that.

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer I Am View Post
    Does he even watch the current episodes?
    "Apocalypse Cow" is his favorite episode of the entire series.
    My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

He still attends table reads for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    Really? Even over "Bart The Daredevil"? I must have missed that interview.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    whaat? what is your source on that?

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yeahmkay View Post
    whaat? what is your source on that?
    http://www.craveonline.com/articles/..._simpsons.html

Blog Entries

Personally, they need someone new for this to happen. The series might be old but they still can come up with storylines that make you go 'Hmmm, this might be interesting' but the execution is poor. Why is it? Not sure, but I think the current staff are a little too comfortable with their jobs and position (iconic animated show of our generation, possibly ever)

A good spanking might wake them up, or motivated new guy who knows and loves the show to come in and 'save' the show. Otherwise the sub-standard episodes with the odd occasional good/decent gem coming in here and there 'run' will continue.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only motivation to change things would come from the cash flow suddenly stopping, but if that happened, they'd be like "oh, we've had a good run!" and end it.

Blog Entries

Sadly, that is indeed true...

The only shot we have is a new guy that comes in and brings his own writing staff. Simply not gonna happen!

Blog Entries

I doubt Matt cares all that much anymore. He seems to be more attentive towards Futurama from what I can gather.

Quote Originally Posted by Señor Burns View Post
    I think only James L. Brooks can do that.
    For some reason that makes me think of Seth MacFarlane telling FOX executives "You're all scared of James L. Brooks from The Simpsons!" (Referring to FOX saying they wanted to end the feud and therefore not show the scene where Quagmire rapes Marge and kills the rest of the family...Seth thought this was convenient because The Simpsons had recently taken a shot at FG).

Quite possibly the only time Seth has sounded like a really big fuckin' baby...gotta love commentaries.
    Fun Fact: I hate heights

What's his mouse family?

didn't matt say that he had the idea to have a family of mice living in the simpsons house. and we would see scenes of the mice talking to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer I Am View Post
    Is Matt Groening involved with the show anymore? Does he even watch the current episodes?
    Currently, Matt is present at the dubbing of every episode, so yes, he sees them all and actually oversees the final product they put out.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    I doubt Matt cares all that much anymore. He seems to be more attentive towards Futurama from what I can gather.

For some reason that makes me think of Seth MacFarlane telling FOX executives "You're all scared of James L. Brooks from The Simpsons!" (Referring to FOX saying they wanted to end the feud and therefore not show the scene where Quagmire rapes Marge and kills the rest of the family...Seth thought this was convenient because The Simpsons had recently taken a shot at FG).

Quite possibly the only time Seth has sounded like a really big fuckin' baby...gotta love commentaries.
    what are you talking about? Is that seriously in a family guy episode? That's disturbing!

A crude video for a crude joke.

Well, seeing as Matt couldn't prevent A Star is Burns over a decade ago, it seems very doubtful he'd have the power to act unilaterally now.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'd actually be surprised if takes over as a/the showrunner again.

Thread Information