Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 33
  1. #1


    What do the classic era writers/producers think of the show these days

    I heard Harry Shearer(think it was him)spoke out in a negative way about the shows current style.
    Any info on anyone else be it writers producers or voice actors from the "good ok days"
    Can't imagine the read-throughs being much fun.Or at least as they were

    Links or where you heard it from would be appreciated

  2. #2
    pineapple shoes Dark Homer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,775
    Blog Entries
    10


    From the Ortved book:

    As for the veterans of the room, most of the ex-Simpsons staffers I spoke to no longer watch the show. Other than being amazed at its longevity, none of them had much positive to say about it. Many give Jean and the other producers credit for keeping up any level of quality after this many years, which points to Jean's skill as an organizer.

  3. #3


    Matt Groening

    If The Simpsons came on now, having never been seen before, with those original episodes, I don’t think anyone would give them a second look, because they’re so crude and primitive in their execution. But like I said, styles change, and all I ask of critics—of online critics of the show that say “Oh, it hasn’t been good since season X”—is that, in the opinion of people who work on the show, that’s simply not true. I’m not saying that every episode is better than the previous, but I’m saying that to completely out-of-hand condemn a decade of the show is a very easy position to take, and the fact is, the show has done absolutely brilliant stuff consistently throughout its history. Like I said, I’m not defending every single joke in every single episode, but if we didn’t like what we were doing, we wouldn’t keep doing it.

    And

    MG: Yup. I like the people I work with. We always say, “Let’s see how long we can keep this going. Let’s see if we can still have fun, still make people laugh, and continue doing it.” Let’s see, how do I want to put this… The criticism of the show, that it’s not as good as the show you remember when you were 9 years old, is probably true, but then no show is as good as the one you thought was probably the greatest when you were 9 years old. It’s the nature of comparing something to the thing you loved the most at the time If the show had been cancelled after five seasons, it would be forgotten.

    The bold is ridiculous

  4. #4
    I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin: "More bars in more places."
    Posts
    14,121
    Blog Entries
    1


    ^^^If the show premiered today, it'd be in HD and would look better than a cartoon made in 1989.


    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

    "One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    ^^^If the show premiered today, it'd be in HD and would look better than a cartoon made in 1989.
    I doubt that.I dont like the Digital Animation,The Zombie Look etc.I prefer Traditional Cel Animation

  6. #6


    Matt has finally lost it.He should shut up....he doesnt even get involved as much nowadays.....just wait on his office for the sack of $$$$ gained from the Simpsons......Fat Fucker

  7. #7
    I don't care for G.O.B. Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Down at the Big Yellow Joint
    Posts
    2,572
    Blog Entries
    2


    ThankYoucomeAgain get out of here and don't come back again, thank you

  8. #8


    Here's what Harry Shearer said;

    In 2004, Shearer criticized what he perceived as the show's declining quality: "I rate the last three seasons as among the worst, so Season Four looks very good to me now."[1] Shearer has also been vocal about "The Principal and the Pauper" (season nine, 1997) one of the most controversial episodes of The Simpsons. Many fans and critics reacted negatively to the revelation that Principal Seymour Skinner, a recurring character since the first season, was an impostor. The episode has been criticized by both Shearer and Groening. In a 2001 interview, Shearer recalled that after reading the script, he told the writers, "That's so wrong. You're taking something that an audience has built eight years or nine years of investment in and just tossed it in the trash can for no good reason, for a story we've done before with other characters. It's so arbitrary and gratuitous, and it's disrespectful to the audience."[37] Due to scheduling and availability conflicts, Shearer decided not to participate in The Simpsons Ride, which opened in 2008, so none of his characters have vocal parts and many do not appear in the ride at all.[38]

  9. #9
    Space Coyote Lionheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,543


    Quote Originally Posted by buyonferry View Post
    Here's what Harry Shearer said;

    In 2004, Shearer criticized what he perceived as the show's declining quality: "I rate the last three seasons as among the worst, so Season Four looks very good to me now."[1] Shearer has also been vocal about "The Principal and the Pauper" (season nine, 1997) one of the most controversial episodes of The Simpsons. Many fans and critics reacted negatively to the revelation that Principal Seymour Skinner, a recurring character since the first season, was an impostor. The episode has been criticized by both Shearer and Groening. In a 2001 interview, Shearer recalled that after reading the script, he told the writers, "That's so wrong. You're taking something that an audience has built eight years or nine years of investment in and just tossed it in the trash can for no good reason, for a story we've done before with other characters. It's so arbitrary and gratuitous, and it's disrespectful to the audience."[37] Due to scheduling and availability conflicts, Shearer decided not to participate in The Simpsons Ride, which opened in 2008, so none of his characters have vocal parts and many do not appear in the ride at all.[38]
    Didn't Al Jean respond to that (I think it was posted here) and basically say something like "Shut up, you're overpaid"?
    Season 24: Moonshine River: C | Treehouse of Horror XXIII: B- | Adventures in Baby-Getting: B+ | Gone Abie Gone: C+ | Penny-Wiseguys: D+ | A Tree Grows in Springfield: C- | The Day the Earth Stood Cool: B+ | To Cur With Love: B+ | Homer Goes to Prep School: C | A Test Before Trying: B- | The Changing of the Guardian: C+ | Love is a Many-Splintered Thing: C | Hardly Kirk-ing: B- | Gorgeous Grampa: B+ | Black-Eyed, Please: B- | Dark Knight Court: B- | What Animated Women Want: C | Pulpit Friction: B- | Whiskey Business: C | The Fabulous Faker Boy: C | The Saga of Carl: B- | Dangers on a Train: B+

    My Season Rankings: 4, 7, 5, 6, 8, 3, 2, 9, 1, 15, 14, 16, 10, 13, 21, 20, 19, 17, 25, 24, 23, 22, 12, 18, 11

  10. #10


    Matt can't exactly publicly condemn the show; he's still an executive producer. I can't remember the specifics, but on some commentary tracks Oakley and Weinstein make some veiled criticisms along the lines of "we were interested in a more grounded show" et cetera. They also comment that there was an expectation of the show ending after 10 seasons. It would be interesting to see how that changed, and how serious that expectation was.

  11. #11
    I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin: "More bars in more places."
    Posts
    14,121
    Blog Entries
    1


    I liked O&W in the secret commentary on Lisa the Simpson felt their time was up and they didn't want to keep churning episodes out "like a sausage factory."

    I hope that future commentaries would be a bit more self-critical than filled with awkward silence just to have their kids along to shake things up a bit.

  12. #12
    might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,983
    Blog Entries
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    I liked O&W in the secret commentary on Lisa the Simpson felt their time was up and they didn't want to keep churning episodes out "like a sausage factory.
    This, as well as the way they say certain things. I think, in a couple commentaries, they have specifically mentioned that they're going to keep their views on the current show to themselves... One of the reasons being that they're friends with the producers still.

    I kind of get the vibe (and this is just a guess on my part) that O&W aren't super bullish about the current state, but are classy enough to not bad-mouth the show. That's probably what I would do too if I were in their place.

  13. #13


    I hope that future commentaries would be a bit more self-critical than filled with awkward silence just to have their kids along to shake things up a bit.[/QUOTE]

    This is why I want to watch newer DVDs.soely for the commentaries to see if they admit the decline of the show or not.I remember watchin the DVD c. over the one that dan castaneta wrote.think it was when Barney sobered up.they were singin it's praises but I got that impression it was because it was written by a voice actor and not the quality.

  14. #14


    Quote Originally Posted by buyonferry View Post
    This is why I want to watch newer DVDs.soely for the commentaries to see if they admit the decline of the show or not.I remember watchin the DVD c. over the one that dan castaneta wrote.think it was when Barney sobered up.they were singin it's praises but I got that impression it was because it was written by a voice actor and not the quality.
    In commentary on Bart to the Future they actually admitted that the episode had been rated low and they had probably made even worse episodes since then.

  15. #15
    Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    15,008
    Blog Entries
    41


    Jean does acknowledge the third acts for Helter Shelter and Strong Arms of the Ma had problems on their commentaries but I forget the wording he uses specifically.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    Blog Entries
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    ^^^If the show premiered today, it'd be in HD and would look better than a cartoon made in 1989.
    No, it would look ghastly awful. The stiff animation is pathetic, they think it looks life-like which is completely untrue. In real life everything flows, it doesn't stay stiff. The look of the show today is lifeless and completely stiff.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouComeAgain View Post
    Matt has finally lost it.He should shut up....he doesnt even get involved as much nowadays.....just wait on his office for the sack of $$$$ gained from the Simpsons......Fat Fucker
    Please get banned.

  17. #17
    That's a bloody outrage Gran2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    That place in England, UK
    Posts
    332


    Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    This, as well as the way they say certain things. I think, in a couple commentaries, they have specifically mentioned that they're going to keep their views on the current show to themselves... One of the reasons being that they're friends with the producers still.

    I kind of get the vibe (and this is just a guess on my part) that O&W aren't super bullish about the current state, but are classy enough to not bad-mouth the show. That's probably what I would do too if I were in their place.
    I think this is pretty much the case. I may be misremembering but I recall them saying in the secret commentary that they "agreed with the internet" or something. But I'm probably placing that in the wrong context.

    There's an interview where Reiss says he hates "Homer's Enemy" and "Simpsons Safari". I also remember an interview with Mirkin where he basically says 'the show's been on air for so long it's allowed to be shit'.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mirkin, 1995
    I think at the end of the eighth season, we'll all have to sit down, make sure the show is still fresh. Make sure that's it's not repeating itself or falling into a formula and you know...It's very possible that we'll still have energy after eight seasons, but hopefully it will always be a decision of quality, to make sure we are not lowering the quality just to make a little bit more money.

  18. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by Gran2 View Post
    I think this is pretty much the case. I may be misremembering but I recall them saying in the secret commentary that they "agreed with the internet" or something. But I'm probably placing that in the wrong context.
    I don't remember reading or hearing any disparaging comments from O&W, but I would be shocked if they weren't disappointed with the direction the show has taken since their departure. Of all the showrunners (and, really, all the writers in general) the series has had, they seem like they're the ones that had the most respect for the show, and were the most passionate and enthusiastic. Like they wanted the product they put out to be worthy of The Simpsons. Love those guys.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Posts
    3,156
    Blog Entries
    32


    Quote Originally Posted by ThankYouComeAgain View Post
    Matt has finally lost it.He should shut up....he doesnt even get involved as much nowadays.....just wait on his office for the sack of $$$$ gained from the Simpsons......Fat Fucker

    Yeah i agree! all Matt does is gain $$$$$ without being involved....... someone should Teach him a lesson!!!! get the man to shut up Forever (a song not bye matt groanin)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  20. #20


    i love matt groening.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Posts
    3,156
    Blog Entries
    32


    fine it's ur opinin whatever

  22. #22


    okay.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Posts
    3,156
    Blog Entries
    32


    I'm obviously just making fun of TYCA.

  24. #24


    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats View Post
    I'm obviously just making fun of TYCA.
    i think that goes without saying.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Posts
    3,156
    Blog Entries
    32


    Just so no one takes it the wrong way.

  26. #26
    I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin: "More bars in more places."
    Posts
    14,121
    Blog Entries
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by Gran2 View Post
    There's an interview where Reiss says he hates "Homer's Enemy" and "Simpsons Safari". I also remember an interview with Mirkin where he basically says 'the show's been on air for so long it's allowed to be shit'.
    I love Mr. Reiss's opinions more and more...

    In 2007, former Simpsons executive producer Mike Reiss listed "Homer's Enemy" as one of his two least favorite episodes, stating, "I just think the episode was in bad taste."

    --Drzewiecki, James (2007-04-19). "'Simpson' writer returns to a familiar scene". The Bristol Press.

  27. #27
    -- Kaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    13,990
    Blog Entries
    3


    Quote Originally Posted by Gran2 View Post
    I also remember an interview with Mirkin where he basically says 'the show's been on air for so long it's allowed to be shit'.
    I hope that was toungue-in-cheek otherwise that's a shocking attitude from a writer in my opinion.

  28. #28
    I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin: "More bars in more places."
    Posts
    14,121
    Blog Entries
    1


    That's a sarcastic way of replying to the critics. It's like saying "what do you expect after such a long time!?".

  29. #29
    Stonecutter derek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,058


    I think when Josh and Bill say sarcastically on 'The Principal and the Pauper' commentary that the show has been on for this long that there's no reason to make it good anymore, it seemed a bit genuine to me.

  30. #30
    the Frying Dutchman AttackOfTheKillerTomatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Eindhoven, the Netherlands
    Posts
    1,947


    Wasn't there a quip from Greg Daniels that for The Office they still had fresh stories, because they were only in their 7th season and not in the 22nd?

    Sam Simon hasn't watched the show since he left, nor has he seen the movie. He did once comment on the Banksy opening being funny & well done even though he thought it was sad they had to bring an outside artist to get people to pay attention to the Simpsons anymore. He was also surprised people called it daring, as they had done the joke before in Itchy & Scratchy the Movie.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •