Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Arnold!

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Hey Arnold!

After rediscovering my love for this show on Netflix, I found there was no discussion thread for this show, so... discuss this great show.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 25 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps - C- The Wreck of the Relationship - D+ Super Franchise Me - D Treehouse of Horror XXV - C+

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Highly enjoyable show from my youth. I re-watched several episodes recently and was surprised by how many voices Dan and Tress did. Favorite episode remains "Grandpa's Birthday." His reaction to Oscar being in the afterlife is the hardest I ever laughed at any joke in the series.

Tyrant Bit DISH Network & TBN D DEBBS's Avatar

Did you know that Craig Bartlett is Matt Groening's brother-in-law? (Bartlett is married to one of Groening's sisters)

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kayla, Snaked

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D DEBBS View Post
    Did you know that Craig Bartlett is Matt Groening's brother-in-law? (Bartlett is married to one of Groening's sisters)
    I sure did!

catchin' some gnarly pounders comeau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D DEBBS View Post
    Did you know there's Arnold stories in some of the old Simpsons comics/Simpsons Illustrated?

Tyrant Bit DISH Network & TBN D DEBBS's Avatar

^
    YUP!

(Helga was always a favorite of mine)

The Things I Do For Love Wail-Id's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i've always liked this show, and as a kid it was tied with rugrats as my favorite cartoon.

i should probably watch some of it on netflix to see how it holds up. my guess; extremely well.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah the connection between them was made aware to me when Groening mentions it during one of the audio commentaries, pretty cool.

Blog Entries

that was like my favorite tv show factoid as a kid.

"did you know the creator of hey arnold and the creator of the simpsons are brother-in-laws?!"

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Wonderful show, I rewatched the whole series on Netflix last year. My favorite episode is still "Helga on the Couch," which remains as funny and heartwarming as ever. Hey Arnold has a ton of respect for its characters, and the ensemble gives me some serious Charlie Brown vibes at times. I also adore both the art of the show and its cool, jazzy soundtrack. And their Sinatra homage in Dino Spumoni.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Blog Entries

Do y'all know about the Jungle movie they never made?

Blog Entries

i learned about that a while ago. it sucks it was never made.

Funny, I've been watching that lately on Teen Nick, or whatever it's called. It's a great show, I loved it as a kid.

I love those Arnold and Lila episodes, with Helga trying to mess it up. Always funny.

It's a shame about the Jungle Movie, I would still love to see that, Bartlett claims he's willing as long as Nickelodeon is up for it.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Yeah, I remember reading an interview recently where he let slip a bunch of details about the Jungle movie. Sounded like a lot of fun.

I'm pretty sure he also confirmed Arnold's last name, saying it's something Grandpa had been saying throughout the whole series. So, "Arnold Shortman."

Blog Entries

I was SUPER into Hey Arnold, the ending of the episode "Ghost Bride" freaked the fuck out of me when I was little.

I hate the how the jungle movie was cancelled. It sounded really good too. Apparently Nickelodeon decided to can it because of how poorly the first movie did in theatres. Thing is, it was intended as a made for TV movie but Nickelodeon was like "TO THE BIG SCREEN YE SHALL GO! NOW GET OUT THERE AND RAKE IN SOME DOUGH!".

Fuckin' networks.....

Also, do you guys know about the OTHER abandoned Hey Arnold project? It was a spin-off about Helga called "The Patakis" which was intended for Nick at Nite. They thought it was too dark for their audience, so it was then offered to MTV, who felt it was too similar to Daria.

http://heyarnold.wikia.com/wiki/The_Patakis

I repeat....fuckin' networks!
    Fun Fact: I hate heights

catchin' some gnarly pounders comeau's Avatar

Nickelodeon only canned Hey Arnold and the future projects because of Craig Bartlett working for Cartoon Network, not because the first movie didn't do so hot. Nick wanted Bartlett to stay exclusively at their network, and Bartlett wanted to express his artistic freedom by making a new movie called Party Wagon(which he had hoped would turn into a TV series; obviously that didn't go anywhere) for CN, so Bartlett left and Nick killed Arnold, so to speak.

Blog Entries

The Patakis just sounds... really weird? I really can't imagine Helga sustaining a Daria-ish show on her own

What about a robot? Takes_Life_Soony's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good show. Been watching this recienly again on netflix. Brings back some good memories.

Blog Entries

for some reason the patakis sounds kind of interesting to me. would've definitely watched it if it were made

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

I watched a lot of the episodes when I was kid and I remember liking it; damn do I need to rewatch it, I barely remember much from the series and I may need to see if I still like it or not.
    My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arnold's Grandma was easily the best character. Such a unique person she was but she was incredible

As for Hey Arnold, easily the best 90s cartoon of my childhood
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Someone linked me to the Chocolate Boy episode on YouTube which I enjoyed. It's the first time I've watched the show in a good few years.
    I still quote the Stoop Kid episode from time to time, though.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't make the spin-off. Helga's mother was a rather dark theme for a children's TV show.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    Personally, I'm glad they didn't make the spin-off. Helga's mother was a rather dark theme for a children's TV show.
    I don't think it was being made with children in mind. I mean, if MTV's reason for rejection was its similarity to Daria then I'm willing to bet it was conceived as more of a teen show.

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I went on a nostalgia spree last year and watched a whole bunch of episodes on YouTube. Surprisingly, like every single segment was on there and hadn't been taken down yet. Looks like they're gone now, though.

It stands up surprisingly well. The writing is very smart, managing to balance both broad parodies and dream sequences with the mundane, bored-kids-on-an-afternoon stuff. There's actually some pretty nuanced writing in some of the episodes... The most notable example is that scene with Mr. Simmons' family in the Thanksgiving episode. They don't come out and tell you, uh, what's going on in the scene but you can infer the subtext of the dynamics. Same with Helga's mom and her "smoothie" drinks.

They obviously did it that way to avoid controversy (being a kids show), but it's actually kind of refreshing for a show to have the audience make the connection on their own.

Arnold got a little annoying in the later seasons, though, with how uber-mature and wise he got.

lust 4 quagland HANDSOME.S4.COMPLETE.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used to think it was boring when I was smaller but now it's just...good. It's grown on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe
    The only thing you've managed to do is piss us off. You are a fucking prick, and it's people like you that are bringing this damn country down.

didn't like this at all way back when. it would probably be even worse then i remember if i watch it now. the only thing i liked about the show was that black kid with the eraser haircut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    It stands up surprisingly well. The writing is very smart, managing to balance both broad parodies and dream sequences with the mundane, bored-kids-on-an-afternoon stuff. There's actually some pretty nuanced writing in some of the episodes... The most notable example is that scene with Mr. Simmons' family in the Thanksgiving episode. They don't come out and tell you, uh, what's going on in the scene but you can infer the subtext of the dynamics.
    That whole episode is pretty great

I remember TV Guide (I used to read TV Guide as a kid ) described the show as Peanuts-like characters in a Simpsons-y world and that description has always stuck with me

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hey Arnold!

Just saw a couple of episodes of this show. Used to watch it all the time back in the '90s, but I could barely remember it, so don't think I enjoyed it through nostalgic eyes or anything.

This show is great! It's nice to have a main character who's actually good -- a majority of shows tend to keep their main characters evil, bad, or at least with questionable morals. Arnold is actually a decent person, and he doesn't come off as pretentious or sickening either.

Blog Entries

Pretty sure we had a Hey Arnold thread, but oh well.

Yeah, I loved this show. It's a shame they never made the second movie that was supposed to be about Arnold finding his parents.

Pictured in People Magazine Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Man this show was great, I recently watched the last episode on netflix for the first time and man that really sucks they leave us on that cliffhager (sort of) all because Nick didn't want to fund a second movie. From th looks of the production art it was going to awesome.
    And yeah we technically had a Hey Arnold thread but.......
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.php?99112-Hey-Arnold
    Paul Giamatti's plumber knows me by name
    .............My Twitter

Thread Information