View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Australia

38 31.15%
  • 4/5 Japan

30 24.59%
  • 3/5 Brazil

26 21.31%
  • 2/5 England

11 9.02%
  • 1/5 Africa or Israel, take your pick.

11 9.02%
  • 0/5: Shelbyville

6 4.92%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again" (PABF12)

April 29, 2012: Bart begs the family to go on a cruise. All goes well until he realizes the cruise will eventually end and he'll have to return to his everyday life. To avoid this he takes extreme measures... Discuss!

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's pretty funny thus far...

After act two still going okay...

Act three..The simpsons are going to... freeze to death and die... funny sh!t.

Act four.......... wow, fucking awesome... Matt Selman got the EP credit.... I see why.

I got chills at the end.

Well done, this felt classic. The ending was so well done!

5/5 by modern standards.

Almost a 4/5 by classic standards... i.e. damn good.

I laughed a lot and got choked up at the end.. thats a good sign.

Matt Selman needs to get rid of Al Jean.... once and for all.

Le Jake and any others like Rango out there will hate this one for sure, lol.

It had some flaws and a few dumb jokes, yes, but was it overall fun? Yes.
    Last edited by The Angry Animated Comedy Nerd; 04-29-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Pretty damn good episode. Hey The Simpsons are poor again.

...from Ullman to the grave! Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Short couch gag... that's a good sign!

I can't recall an episode where the Simpsons have actually gone on a "real" family vacation without some crazy scheme attached to it. In other words, where they actually planned the trip like a normal family.

FIRST ACT:
    First act was good, tight, and developed a nice platform for the rest of the episode. This has potential!
    The upgrade sequence on the ship was nice.

SECOND ACT:
    The cruise director's clichéd leaning in the introduction video made me smile.
    Lisa's reaction to the diversity of her "elite" kid zone.
    Okay, the song the cruise director sings is a little to "on the nose" for me... but it gets the job done, I guess.
    Still strong, and most importantly, believable plot development.

THIRD ACT:
    I like how fast society degraded on the ship. 12 days.
    ...and OFF is now stranded on an iceberg, or Antarctica maybe?
    This is where this episode could go off the rails. Oh please don't let that happen!

FOURTH ACT:
    Huh? That ending kind of hit like a ton of bricks, but due to the four-act structure... I guess they had to sum it up somehow. At least they let us know that they were headed to a Research Facility, instead of just leaving them where ever the Hell they were. I can assume they get home safely from that one clue, which is okay with me by Season 23 standards.

All in all, a fun romp. I'm going to give it a 4.5/5 for being a very nice and very fun episode. Among the best of the season for me. Rounding up to a 5/5 for the poll, just because it really came close to a full 5 for me, and didn't manage to offend.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Wow, that was better than I could have imagined. I've kept my expectations so low recently, and that just blew them right out of the water. Nothing bombed, and what worked, worked very well. The post-apocalyptic cruise ship thing was brilliant. I don't think I've ever seen that done before. It was also surprisingly sweet, especially for a latter-day episode. Matt Selman really should get promoted to show runner. I think the worst part of this episode is taht it's going to make the remaining ones look like crap.

I missed this episode at 8, but will definitely watch it on west coast time (11et/8pt) since Matt Selman was co-show runner.

Junior Camper

What can I say, the jokes landed with me, the pacing was good, everyone seemed in character, and the ending caught me off guard and got me feeling very emotional. I loved this episode. I didn't have high expectations when I saw that it would take place on a cruise ship, but they pulled it off.

...that ending. Almost teared up for some reason. Really great to see.

oh and a question, the montage where Bart is trying all the different fun things and the animation style changes as we get the side view of it all, what is that a reference to? Anyone?

5 out of 5. Top 3 of the season for me.

*69th post. HAH HAH HAH hilarious right?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Holy shit...that was stupid. As Lisa said, if I want cheap sentiment, I'll blow my nose with a pancake. Look, Bart's frolicing: A 5/5! Look, they're playing with penguins, a 5/5! Flashforwards to Bart being nostalgic, a 5555 outta 5! Bart wants the vacation to go on forever..aww...cue sappy music.

Gee...Bart pours chocolate fudge into the ship's radio to fuck up communications, no one can call for help without a cellphone, or the GPS system is somehow also disabled and none one goes looking for them!? Then they're dumped in Antarctica without anything warm to wear and wind up playing with Penguins and have a non-ending ending. And no one has SEEN that pandemic movie before on the ship? Look, I know it's a cartoon and I should have a greater suspension of disbelief...but this was so idiotically far-fetched, this episode made no sense in context of itself. I already know the bullshit schlmaltzy ending is going to make this get 5/5's up the ass.

I'm not sure what's more fuct...the amount of 4/5s and 5/5s this will get or the actual episode.

0/5, if that was an option. Forth worst episode behind "D'ohed" "Abie" and "Gator"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post

Le Jake and any others like Rango out there will hate this one for sure, lol.
    No wonder you gave this a 4/5.

Quote Originally Posted by bradbradford View Post
    *69th post. HAH HAH HAH hilarious right?
    What were you doing to this episode!?

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

1/5 This is it, the new "Worst Episode Ever"

I had every reason to dread an episode where the Simpsons go to Antarctica. This was only made for the sake of having the family visit the 7th continent. We have an episode that results in having a nonexistant plot throughout. The passengers on the ship deciding to abandon the family in Antarctica possibly to have them freeze to death is the most mean-spirited thing the writers have ever done. The climax is the most unsatisfying ending they have ever done since I demand an answer to how they get back to Springfield. I hate this episode so much that I now decided I am not watching any later episodes except maybe for the series finale if they ever end this. I'll also watch the two sequels to The Simpsons Movie if they ever get made. I'll go on the Simpsons Ride if I ever go to Universal Studios. But all episodes that air before the series finale will have to wait for a DVD release if I even decide to watch them.

With two more years of 44 episodes being made with everyone involved taking pay-cuts, I believe worse has yet to come and I believe my kingdom has come.

I now feel like Gordon Ramsay. I want to tell everyone on the Simpsons staff "Shut it down".

UPDATE on 12-7-12! I did watch the last three episodes of season 23 on their original airdates to give the show another chance and those three episodes were bad especialy "Lisa Goes Gaga" which was even worse than ATFTTBWNDA. Ned and Edna's Blend and The Spy who Learned Me were sub par
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 12-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh, Matt Selman, why have you forsaken me?

What a misleading title. This episode wasn't fun and I hope Bart doesn't do this again. This episode was riddled with problems - for starters, the setup was weak. Bart selling everything he owns? Where's he going to sleep? We're just going to see his stuff again next week, so it was just pointless. Second, it seems like the cruise was too perfect. I mean, the family just suddenly got an upgrade? Ugh, the typical fast pace of the living impaired Simpsons.I guess the point was that the cruise was supposed to be overly perfect so Bart will want to sabotage it, but still. I couldn't really buy the chaos either because it just went from perfect to shitty in one act. The erratic pacing of this episode earned it a spot at the bottom for sure.

Typical season 23. Typical Modern Simpsons. I give it a 2/5 or a D. (Uh-oh, here comes ZombieSimpsonsRocks to put me in my place.)
    Last edited by Irvine; 04-29-2012 at 05:31 PM.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps - C- The Wreck of the Relationship - D+ Super Franchise Me - D Treehouse of Horror XXV - C+ Opposites A-Frack - B Simpsorama - C- Blazed and Confused - C Covercraft - C- I Won't Be Home for Christmas - B- The Man Who Came to Be Dinner - C- Bart's New Friend - B+ The Musk Who Fell to Earth - C+ Walking Big and Tall - D My Fare Lady - B

Blog Entries

I didn't find it as great as seemingly everyone else, but alright. The thing I noticed most was how blatantly lazy/obvious some of the plot points were. Examples include the song and Homer and Lisa's moral at the end. They even sorta acknowledged it with the soliloquies bit but really it just took me out of it too much. Best gag was Homer trying to strangle Bart with his frozen hands, but laughs were pretty hard to come by overall. It also seemed extremely forgettable not that that's necessarily a bad thing. 3/5 on a first watch I'd say, last Bart episode was much better.

PS: A couple cool shots of Maggie during the last scenes in Antarctica. Also surprised Matt Selman got a credit again.

PPS: Well...several pretty negative reviews popped up while I was writing this huh?

Blog Entries

Added the "0" option and changed my vote.

Blog Entries

0/5 in the poll results now? Really?

Jesus H. Christ....

Junior Camper

Ok, I get that we all have different opinions, but I'd like to ask some previous posters some stuff...

Irvine, erratic pacing? What? That is often one of the biggest problems I have with newer episodes, this episode however did not suffer from that at all. In fact the pacing took its time throughout the episode and wasn't erratic at all. Can you explain where you saw this? Even the ending was set up in a previous scene...

Biff, take care and enjoy watching something else on Sundays at 8pm? Maybe you could take up a hobby? Regardless, its silly to hold the show to such delusional high standards of yester-year that you "swear it off" because it has seemed to forsaken you. Silly. I'd like to know what series you find worthy of your time still.

Rango, you already pointed out what is confusing in your post...

I will forever firmly be on the "its a cartoon" side of the argument. Yes the show use to be more grounded, no it isn't any more. Move on. Using the "the cruise left them there alone to die!!?" argument is absolutely insane. I think deep down, even you know its a stretch to complain about such silly things. Rango...wait why can this lizard talk? WTF! F this movie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    0/5 in the poll results now? Really?

Jesus H. Christ....
    I didn't add that. IMO this wasn't anywhere near the bottom 50 episodes...

EDIT: Ah it was Rango then, just noticed.

Escaping from reality Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was brought to a place where I could see this and review it, since we have no TV nor Internet yet, and now I can say...

WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH??

This was downright terrible. It was possibly the worst Bart I've ever seen. You used to root for Bart, to hope that his pranks went well; but here, there was nothing that he did to make me sympathize with his motives, nothing to make me support his decisions. He was ridiculously out of character; it reminded me of Brother's Little Helper, actually.

As for the Lisa plot...she goes into some room and is having the time of her life three seconds later. Hello; hello, buildup? Where are you? There was no way I could connect with Lisa either, because the plot didn't develop at all.

Finally, they get to Antarctica, and by this point, I just wanted the episode to be over. They attempt for some sort of feel-good ending, but when one can't connect to the characters' emotions in the first place, it fails miserably.

1/5, perhaps the worst of the season.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Homer's Triple Bypass Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare $pringfield 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Kill the Alligator and Run 12: HOMЯ New Kids on the Blecch 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Junior Camper

It has gotten insane here. I get it if people didn't love this episode, that's what the 3 is for. Rating this a 1 or a 0 is asinine. Only delusional people on the hate wagon could justify it.

I swear, you people watch the show with the INTENT of looking for things to complain about, I honestly think your thought process during an episode it desperately clinging to finding things to critique. It makes me sad for you. Sincerely.

Blog Entries

I will forever firmly be on the "its a cartoon" side of the argument. Yes the show use to be more grounded, no it isn't any more. Move on. Using the "the cruise left them there alone to die!!?" argument is absolutely insane. I think deep down, even you know its a stretch to complain about such silly things. Rango...wait why can this lizard talk? WTF! F this movie.
    Hey, I'm not watching "Rango." But I wish I had, again.

And I never said I wanted 100 percent realism, either, but it's not a stretch to complain about plot holes in a 'cartoon' (yet, the first 9 seasons were a 'cartoon' and managed not to fuck up telling a story!). Having shitty writing isn't the animation's fault.

Junior Camper

You can't call those plot holes. Why didn't their cell phones work? No reception, there done. Why wasn't anyone looking for them? They were, they just hadn't gotten to them yet. Why did they leave them in Antarctica? Because this is a cartoon and it set up a nice ending.

Blog Entries

It has gotten insane here. I get it if people didn't love this episode, that's what the 3 is for. Rating this a 1 or a 0 is asinine. Only delusional people on the hate wagon could justify it.
    Love it or just "accept it". Did you start a Season 23 affirmative action league, or what?

I swear, you people watch the show with the INTENT of looking for things to complain about, I honestly think your thought process during an episode it desperately clinging to finding things to critique. It makes me sad for you. Sincerely.
    I guess me saying "Holidays of Future Passed" being the best episode of the Jean era just wasn't enough? If you want to kneel before the show you have every right to. I prefer to keep my pants on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I didn't add that. IMO this wasn't anywhere near the bottom 50 episodes...
    Oh, I knew it wasn't you. I knew exactly who it was.
    By the way, Rango... can you add that option to "Politically Inept," and change my vote to 0/5 on that one? Mmmm kay, thanks.

Blog Entries

You can't call those plot holes. Why didn't their cell phones work? No reception, there done. Why wasn't anyone looking for them? They were, they just hadn't gotten to them yet.
    They have global/satalite phones and that doesn't address the GPS.

Why did they leave them in Antarctica? Because this is a cartoon and it set up a nice ending.
    Sure, okay, whatever. The tour guide in "The Greatest story ever D'ohed" wasn't annoying because he was cartoon, too.

And I shot Al Jean an email thanking and congratulating him for "Holidays" for how awesome it was. I won't make excuses for episodes like this one, though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    No wonder you gave this a 4/5.
    I just wanted to egg you on homie.

I feel you write things that you don't really mean.. it's obvious you love to shake up this place.

Blog Entries

I just wanted to egg you on homie.

I feel you write things that you don't really mean.. it's obvious you love to shake up this place.
    I'm not Jerkass Homer.

Junior Camper

Oh come on, comparing stupid things that have no need to to be included in the story is nothing like Greatest Story's issues. I hated that episode, I'm with you on those complaints, they are valid. The ones for this episode are not. You honestly are telling me you would've liked this story more if it included a scene with Bart stealing everyones cell phones and dumping them overboard? That would address your problem, but guess what- its unbelievably unnecessary. Be happy it was left out.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Added the "0" option and changed my vote.
    LOL, you are now becoming the Al Jean of NoHomers, and you don't even see it!

I'm not Jerkass Homer.
    He's just a jerkass, honestly his moniker fits.

Also adding a zero to the dudes poll.. is shaking it up.

Blog Entries

Oh come on, comparing stupid things that have no need to to be included in the story is nothing like Greatest Story's issues. I hated that episode, I'm with you on those complaints, they are valid. The ones for this episode are not. You honestly are telling me you would've liked this story more if it included a scene with Bart stealing everyones cell phones and dumping them overboard? That would address your problem, but guess what- its unbelievably unnecessary. Be happy it was left out.
    This is story I wouldn't have approved to be made. There's really no semi-plausible way, other than the Simpsons stowing away on the boat, or somehow sabatoging the engines this could've been made. It's just an implausible story bookended with schmaltz and the characters being happy, but the story just sucked and everything happened because it was too conveinent to be believable, even by Simpson standards.

Blog Entries

LOL, you are now becoming the Al Jean of NoHomers, and you don't even see it!
    I don't care if you call me Al Jean, Mike Scully on the otherhand...

And I'm not the first mod to add a zero to a poll.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

This wasn't that bad plot wise, just not funny enough for me. I thought the story started out pretty good and it seemed like the Simpsons were going to have a vacation in which there was no trouble whatsoever. It was a bit of a stretch to have everyone believe that there was this deadly worldwide virus and they needed to be quarantined. I would think the crew of the ship would do more to find out about where the transmission came from. Seems like others here were really pissed about that aspect of it. I seemed to have suspended my disbelief for the sake of the theme of the episode.

What I did like was Bart in this episode and I empathized with him quite a bit. To me, that was what made me feel that this was at least a C episode, or around 3/5. Homer and Lisa were grating though and, as I mentioned before, I really didn't laugh much.

Thread Information