Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think American Dad's days are numbered?

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Do you think American Dad's days are numbered?

I was on the thread about the writers addressing continuity issues, when I seen this post.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    Matt confirms Fox is forcing them to do less commentaries and put less features onto the dvd sets.
    This gives me more reason to believe that American Dad's on the verge of being cancelled. If FOX don't want to spend much on DVD sets and this season is ending with only 18 episodes (Two left at this point. "Ricky Spanish" and "Toy Whorey"). It makes me think that FOX just want to churn out whatever is left and be done with it.

And the Wikipedia unscheduled episodes listing for next season is only 15 episodes long.....Uh oh.
    Fun Fact: I hate heights

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think that's enough to go on, but would it surprise me? No....but Cleveland should go first.

Blog Entries

Well that along with the constant rescheduling is what worries me.... though while typing this Buckimion from Freakin' Sweet News has sent me a list from the American Dad wiki which has 20 episodes listed for next season.

Also...I like Cleveland...I think Family Guy should be the first to go, it just seems natural.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think Cleveland should go first, and of course Family Guy isn't going anywhere for 5 years at least, but I'd be happy if both were gone. Hell even American Dad has been sub-par this season for me, but I'm willing to give it some more time.

Family Guy isn't going until the crew calls it quits...or something weird like last fall's Simpsons situation comes up. Cleveland Show and American Dad don't have the cultural buzz Family Guy does, so it's ludicrous to say Family Guy should sensibly go first of them all. I have yet to personally hear anyone ask, "Did you see The Cleveland Show last night?" I don't even have one friend who watches it, where at least some people bring up American Dad now and then (less than Family Guy). I feel American Dad is like King of the Hill where Fox continues giving it chances but with little expectations (thus the unnecessary cutback in episodes per season when they have a shitton to air yet). But just because a wiki says there are only 15 more does not mean the Internet community knows about every one in production.

Blog Entries

Here's how most people I know view these shows:

Family Guy = Either you love it or hate it.
    American Dad = Awesome
    South Park = Awesome
    The Cleveland show = "I don't watch it that much, but it's ok"
    King of the Hill = Dull/Boring/Depressing/Unfunny.....take your pick it's normally one of these where most people are concerned
    The Simpsons = "Used to watch it all the time, used to be really good, it's shit now though"
    Futurama = Either you love it or hate it.

Do most people really find King of the Hill Dull/Boring/Depressing/Unfunny? I know it's low key and understated but surely people either give it enough of a go to realise that even if not for them, that there is a certain formula at work that is appealing and interesting to many people and attempting something different should be celebrated not ridiculed. Or they change the channel too soon to form any kind of real opinion on the show. I dunno, I'm probably wrong...
    I have gone

american dad is one of the worst cartoons i've ever seen
    [10-09, 09:06] Monster Snrub: i never realized how much buildup there is to miracle on evergreen terrace
    [10-09, 09:07] Monster Snrub: its a lot funnier than i remember too, but its still not chrismas yet
    [10-09, 09:08] Monster Snrub: upon closer inspection, this is bart carny, my tv guide lied to me

american Dad is my favorite of the three the last couple of new episodes i watched were not the best but the clevland show should get canned before american dad does. a note about family guy one of the new episodes i watched was just boring. famly guys run of good episodes was significantly shorter then the simpsons

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

Wasn't American Dad renewed for two seasons with short episode orders? That's why there are only 15 episodes unscheduled. But no, it won't be renewed after that

I think Fox has fallen out of love with Seth and the Flintstones thing was the first step toward the ultimate end of his era of dominance there.

Blog Entries

I wanna see American Dad stay on air, but I wanna see it not suck for the next six years if that would be the case. It should logically outlive FG because FG has got away with mostly-tripe seasons too many times to be the sibling allowed to survive! I can't see Cleve going on that long unless longevity becomes a joke in itself, not because it's totally crap but because I don't think there's 8 seasons of material there. I.m.o. KOTH wasn't boring, but dull in tone wouldn't be an inappropriate comment (does anyone remember Daria??). You just have to get the humour and it does involve more attention (in show and real world) than such "obvious" shows as Family Guy. Personally I find Bob's Burgers funnier than anything else atm and would like to see more "different" animated comedies (read that as ones that are "even more different" too) with Seth shows as just a smaller part. Not gonna miss any of these too much if there's something else to enjoy.

Sometimes I wonder what AD would be like if it'd been picked up by a different network, or if someone made a better offer at this point. I see potential still, but it's like the producers have accepted its place and don't do anything new with it any more. In my ideal world, they pretend to ship Roger out for a spin-off, that runs for half a series simultaneously, he comes back and they're all "LOL, jokes!" and it's funny for three more seasons and ends with the "Stan's idea of heaven" story covering every plot hole in a really lampshadey one hour special!
    "I enjoy munching taco so much that I'm basically a lesbian with a cock." ~ Shaunbadia

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

let American Dad die, it's already slipped a little

A couple years ago (Seasons 4 and 5) I thought American Dad was easily the best of the Fox animated series. Since around the 100th episode, so Seasons 6 and 7, there's been a really noticeable drop in quality. I can usually watch an entire DVD volume in a day or two, and have found it difficult to get through Volume 7 (Season 6) in two weeks. The writing has become incredibly awkward, more episodes are duds (watched Son of Stan thinking the whole time, "what the hell is this?"), relying on Roger too much and making him way too outlandish. Not that I hate or dislike the show now, but there has definitely been a huge quality drop the last couple years. If I had to sum it up, it feels a lot like Family Guy now, when before it was something more unique.

I'm on the borderline about if it gets cancelled after next season - but, like The Simpsons, I honestly think its best days are now behind it.
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Food Blog View Post
    I.m.o. KOTH wasn't boring, but dull in tone wouldn't be an inappropriate comment (does anyone remember Daria??). You just have to get the humour and it does involve more attention (in show and real world)
    Exactly...I fucking loved Daria btw, I have the entire series on DVD and still break it out every now and then a throw a random disc in. Same goes for KOTH, which here in the UK only seasons 1-5 were released on DVD...I know season 6 was released in the US but then they just stopped....cunts....

Banned
    Blog Entries

They do speak of being on hiatus on the dvds... recorded in January of 2012.

But I think AD will have at least two more seasons... as they got picked up for an 8th production code season.... right?

'Toy Whorey' is the season finale.. and it's just the begining of production code season 7 numbers... we've gotten at least one more season left for sure.

lust 4 quagland HANDSOME.S4.COMPLETE.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Exactly...I fucking loved Daria btw, I have the entire series on DVD and still break it out every now and then a throw a random disc in. Same goes for KOTH, which here in the UK only seasons 1-5 were released on DVD...I know season 6 was released in the US but then they just stopped....cunts....
    I saw Daria at my store, the cover art and overall design of the thing is just awful. Is it worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe
    The only thing you've managed to do is piss us off. You are a fucking prick, and it's people like you that are bringing this damn country down.

Serenity Painting Death CeetjeBeetje's Avatar

I actually like American Dad the most of the three. Family Guy is pretty awful with a chuckle-worthy joke now and then. My friends like that show very much, even more than the classic Simpsons, which just makes no sense to me. But to each his own ofcourse.
    And the Cleveland Show is the lowest of low, truly unfunny and very childish humor.

All my opinion ofcourse.
    Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    I saw Daria at my store, the cover art and overall design of the thing is just awful. Is it worth it?
    Defiantly worth it, every episode, both movies and a few good extras.

Formally Fry-O-Rama Homer Defined's Avatar

If AD! goes, they need to take FG and TCS out with it. Both of the latter two shows have greatly overstayed their welcome and have become an hour of unnecessary filler.
    Jimbo Jones: [about Homer] I hear that guy's ass has it's own congressman!
    Bart Simpson: I wash myself with a rag on a stick.
    Homer Simpson: [takes cap out of dryer and puts it on his head] Mmmmm... I CAN feel three types of softness.
    Lisa Simpson: [from upstairs] Dad, what are you doing down there?
    Homer Simpson: Washing my fat guy's hat honey!

Junior Camper

I myself feel like FOX have either grown tired or grown a hatred for the show. It's always been the one to get the push back or the midseason break.. I just feel personally FOX wanted it gone. I myself feel as if it is one of the stronger shows in Animation Domination, easily besting The Cleveland Show and several others.

I suppose for me I'm just hoping Seth himself and others don't drop it.. and if it is cancelled by FOX is heads elsewhere. I can easily see American Dad! have a few more years, whether it's on FOX or not. Even if it's nearing the end on FOX.. I certainly don't beleive it's the end of American Dad! all together.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuchAdoAboutNothing View Post
    'Toy Whorey' is the season finale.. and it's just the begining of production code season 7 numbers... we've gotten at least one more season left for sure.
    "Ricky Spanish", the second-to-last episode this season is also a season 7 production number.

Sounds like they're not that hopeful about their DVD sales. I'm not surprised personally; it's not a strong show any more.
    It's a bad sign when the Cleveland Show is just as entertaining.

Pictured in People Magazine Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well after this season there's still about 20 episodes all together ( production season 7 episodes) still to be aired which basically guarantees them an 8th season. But after that I really don't think AD will be coming back for a 9th especially with the continuous schedule changes.
    Paul Giamatti's plumber knows me by name
    .............My Twitter

No of course not.

The Things I Do For Love Wail-Id's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Defined View Post
    Both of the latter two shows have greatly overstayed their welcome and have become an hour of unnecessary filler.
    i don't watch cleveland but it's kinda sad that being on for 3(?) seasons is overstaying it's welcome.

that said, i went through and watched american dad over last summer and i loved it. pretty consistently hilarious and lots of great jokes and plots. i haven't seen many episdoes from the new season, but i hope there's at least a couple more. it's still at least pretty consistent from what i have seen.

Pictured in People Magazine Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joe miller View Post
    it's still at least pretty consistent from what i have seen.
    Yeah its much more consistent than family guy thats for sure.

What about a robot? Takes_Life_Soony's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you guys are overstating how bad you think this past season has been.

Personally I have had a weird relationship with this season. There are some episodes that I loved (Hot Water, Stanny Tendergrass, Wheel's and the legman and the case of grandpa's key, Virtual In-Sanity, Old Stan in the Mountain), some that were ok (Hurricane, Dr. Klaustus, The Kidney Stays in the picture), and ones I hated (Less Money Mo' Problems, The Wrestler, The Scarlet Getter, Stan's Best Friend).

Some of my favourite and least favourite episodes have been in this season. But overall I didn't find it that horrible. Especially when comparing it to this season of family guy (which only had one episode this season that I mildy enjoyed mind you) it wasn't all that bad. I just think they had a string of bad episodes. I'm still not giving up on AD until it's a lost cause. Right now it certainly is not.

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

Yeah, American Dad is still a very solid show. It's not at it's peak anymore - which was around season 5 - but it has put out some really great episodes this season, which I think is actually superior to last season (which was mostly good, sometimes great, but had a few episodes like "Home Wrecker", "You Debt Your Life" and "Gorillas In The Mist" that were rather weak). "Hot Water", "Hurricane", "A Ward Show", "Virtual In-Stanity", "Scarlett Getter", "Stanny Tendergrass", "Wheels And The Legman...", "Old Stan In The Mountain", and "Stans Best Friend" are all really sharp episodes. I think there's been about 2 or 3 bad episodes this season, but certainly no reason to write the show off, especially to the over-the-top level a select few seem to be doing.

And this is all coming from someone who absolutely loves this series beginning with season 1. I just feel that season 5 is one of the best things ever, so it's not surprising it couldn't keep up perfection forever. No show ever does. Family Guy fell off sharp after only 3 great seasons and maybe ONE decent one. The only thing I would agree with is the show relying more on violence then it used to, which while it doesn't bother me, is unnecessary.

This may not be as bad as it sounds. American Dad seems to be slipping into autopilot, and we don't want it to start filling in thin plots with Conway Twitty.

Blog Entries

I was going to mention this before but was sure it couldn't be right...Bob's Burgers is only getting 9 episodes this season...so I guess FOX wanted a threesome and decided to start fucking with American Dad AND Bob's Burgers at the same time.

Thread Information