View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

6 27.27%
  • 4/5

10 45.45%
  • 3/5

4 18.18%
  • 2/5

2 9.09%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review South Park: "Cartman Finds Love"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review South Park: "Cartman Finds Love"

April 25, 2012, Mid-Season Finale: A new girl enrolls in South Park Elementary's 4th Grade Class. If Cartman has things his way he'll make the perfect couple while robbing Kyle of love. Discuss!

there are no accidents HANDSOME.S4.COMPLETE.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What an unimaginative title.
    Quote Originally Posted by ofhf View Post
    I was always a pointless guy
    Its a little known fact that Freddy is actually a huge fan of David Letterman. The Fresh Prince upset Freddy when he turned Letterman off, and his punishment is death.

Blog Entries

Cartman was pretty hilarious at points here. The sight gag of him in the window smiling while the girls talked about boys was funny, but his reaction to Nichole liking Kyle was outright hilarious. It lost some steam along the way around the time her parents got involved, but I appreciated the ending with the recycle of the Batmobile....though again, repeating gags. As soon as I saw the Halitosis girl I knew where they were going with it, but the ending still seemed abrupt. I'm gonna say 3.5/5, a generous 4 on the poll. I guess to enjoy this one you'd have to like Cartman as a matchmaker and his Cupid persona. It was good at first, got stale, but by the end was good again. Reminds me of that joke in the Earth Reality Show episode.

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    What an unimaginative title.
    You're obviously new to South Park
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun_dan View Post
    You're obviously new to South Park
    Was being sarcastic. I know *almost* every episode has a shitty title.

Blog Entries

I'd prefer a shitty title over a shitty attempted title pun any day

Blog Entries

I didn't say they were as bad as the Simpsons titles.

Blog Entries

And I never mentioned Simpsons titles

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was nice, not quite as good as last week. The ending with Cartman getting chased down was great, and the Batmobile gag. High 3/5.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

Blog Entries

Awesome episode. The 'Halitosis Kidz' scenes were hilarious, and Cartman expressing his love for Kyle. And Cupid Me. Nice change for once instead of a pop culture ridden episode

9/10 or 4.5/5 rounded to a 5. I'll probably re-watch each episode so far this season but this is how I'd rank them all:

Reverse Cowgirl - 8.5
    Cash For Gold - 8.8
    Faith Hilling - 8.4
    Jewpacabra - 6.6
    Butterballs - 8.9
    I Should Have Never Gone Ziplining - 8.6
    Cartman Finds Love - 9

Ignore my sig, I've updated it

By the middle of the episode I was wondering if there was going to be a "Cartman turns gay" cliffhanger carried over to the next half of the season. It was a fun episode and I really appreciate the lack of even one "current event." Even other episodes that you would like to view as "timeless" still incorporated some recent references you had to get, like The Poor Kid with Penn State, Crippled Summer with the reality show spoof, You're Getting Old with tween wave, Fatbeard with the Somalian pirate problems, etc. As far as this one goes, I could not even catch one element that tied it to the year 2012, so Matt and Trey must have had this one planned for a while. And it delivered, but I feel like it won't hold up so well in repeat viewings now that you already know the twists and whatnot. 4/5

Oh, and it was nice to see Mr. Garrison again, but they've really stripped away his personality for reasons I don't understand. Jeez, all they do is have him ramble about boring stuff like a stereotypical teacher. I thought I heard him sneak the phrase "season 2" in there somewhere reminding me of the early days when he taught the class about sitcoms, but I'm pretty sure he was just teaching the class about Romans and civilizations, right? I think back to Fancy New Vagina or The Death Camp of Tolerance and realize how one-dimensional he's become since. As I watched Bob's Burgers last night I was blown away when I realized how Spaghetti Westerns and Meatballs had five frickin' plots going at once to include all the characters. Whereas with South Park's awful character use in favor of one-timers, don't get attached to anybody who isn't Kyle, Stan, Cartman or Butters, because next season you're not going to see them anymore (Tweek, Chef, Mr. Hat, Officer Barbrady, Timmy, Jimbo, Ned, Ike are all examples of characters who have been stripped down to nothing since their more prominent roles in the past).

You spin me right round Carving's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Best of the season. 5/5
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 25 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps - C- The Wreck of the Relationship - D+ Super Franchise Me - D Treehouse of Horror XXV - C+ Opposites A-Frack - B Simpsorama - C- Blazed and Confused - C Covercraft - C-

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Flimpsons View Post
    Oh, and it was nice to see Mr. Garrison again, but they've really stripped away his personality for reasons I don't understand. Jeez, all they do is have him ramble about boring stuff like a stereotypical teacher. I thought I heard him sneak the phrase "season 2" in there somewhere reminding me of the early days when he taught the class about sitcoms, but I'm pretty sure he was just teaching the class about Romans and civilizations, right? I think back to Fancy New Vagina or The Death Camp of Tolerance and realize how one-dimensional he's become since. As I watched Bob's Burgers last night I was blown away when I realized how Spaghetti Westerns and Meatballs had five frickin' plots going at once to include all the characters. Whereas with South Park's awful character use in favor of one-timers, don't get attached to anybody who isn't Kyle, Stan, Cartman or Butters, because next season you're not going to see them anymore (Tweek, Chef, Mr. Hat, Officer Barbrady, Timmy, Jimbo, Ned, Ike are all examples of characters who have been stripped down to nothing since their more prominent roles in the past).
    I don't watch the show myself, but apparently Garrison was teaching them about Game of Thrones, the HBO series. At least according to AVClub...

Blog Entries

Yes, he was talking about Game of Thrones.

Also, excellent episode. Loved Cupid Me. And Cartman singing gets me every time. 5/5.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Best of the season, I'd say. These types of story-driven episodes that pull the humor from the characters and plot are generally what I prefer from the show. And between Cartman's hilarious interactions with Cupid Me, the running thread of him and Kyle being gay, and the generally enjoyable matchmaker plot, this one delivered a lot of laughs and an enjoyable story.

4/5 B+
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Cartman's words of how blacks should date blacks and you have to work hard on your relationship and not just leave it behind are quite funny, seeing as Matt is married to a black woman and Trey dumped his wife for a stripper

The lesson here is, never try Inblackestnight's Avatar

Not bad. A nice change of pace and, as other posters have said, not using any recent pop culture references is not a bad thing. I gave it a 3+ because I didn't find it all that funny, particularly "Cupid Me", and it had very little substance. I realize it wasn't meant to be a supremely funny ep, it just felt like mostly filler to me.

YAY! Turner's back on DISH! D DEBBS's Avatar

Only thing I liked was the ending: I love it when Cartman gets his comeuppance!

Blog Entries

Dear God the fangirls, shippers and slash fiction writers are gonna have a field day with this episode.

The "Cupid Me" thing was amusing for a bit, but I couldn't help thinking "Does Cartman seem more crazy than usual with that crap?", the gay stuff was amusing and the first time Cartman said it I was like "Holy shit! He's really going the extra mile to pull this off", but Kyle thinking the girls were into him when they were really discussing his apparent homosexuality was one of the funniest things about the episode, also loved the Batmobile stuff. Nichole's dad was funny and I also LOVED the "Soft Serve" commercial.

My only complaint is that Cartman...I don't think he deserved what he got in the end, yeah he was being racist but it was (Weirdly) coming from a nice place. Halitosis kid was just fucking horrible (To look at and as a joke, I wasn't offended or anything, I just thought it was more fucked up than funny).

A good mid-season finale...but not the best. 4/5
    Fun Fact: I hate heights

Blog Entries

Damn. We're at mid-season already? This felt like it was just getting started!

Everything I was thinking has been said. Except, personally I think Cartman is bisexual and just too young to really realise, a lot of his intolerant behaviour is explained by that. Not because I'm trying to open a debate, but I know a guy who practically models himself off Cartman and there are similar undertones of how far he'll take some things. Would've made a good cliffhanger and since it's South Park they'd be able to just get on with it without being all preachy like Glee or something. Pretty interesting in general that he would include himself in the rumour - I feel that a few seasons ago he'd make it Kyle and Stan, or Kenny. Cartman just keeps getting crazier. A more descriptive title would have been "Cartman Gets Less Intolerant"; after all the racial matchmaking had a warped, kind-hearted intent. I've been finding his character bizarre for a while now for the reason that he's subtly "matured" and become possibly (lazily) more PC without calling attention to it. What the hell? I'm not usually overly interested in this species of character development but the fact that it's South Park kinda makes it interesting...
    Furry ally because wat tha fuck evar.

Blog Entries

I liked it! The story was developed really well, in fact I was quite into the story. While Cartman did act odd in this episode, I liked how they managed to tie in Cartman's manipulative and ignorant ways yet they make things for the better. I thought that element made it very unique and interesting in itself. Yes Cartman was being a racist thug, but it ended up making two people happy. Incredible, really!

The humor was kinda short in this one but it still had it's moments. Kyle and Cartman 'being' gay was the highlight, and the song on the Megatron really did it for me! I'm also glad that they didn't exactly abuse the joke either. Other good ones include Cartman scheming his way to put the two kids together using the Batmobile (again not abused, and used in strategic times), Cupid Me, Stan's 'actually I heard they got together after being locked in the locker room' when Cartman was trying to prove a point to Kyle, Kyle and Token on the bench and the ending.

Overall a strong episode that has a fascinating story, good pacing and excellent structuring. Cartman was portrayed well in this one, mixing up his old ways and a softer side of his creating an odd, yet smart episode. 5/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Food Blog View Post
    Damn. We're at mid-season already? This felt like it was just getting started!
    Yeah, it all seemed to pass really quick...I guess time flies when you ease up on being topical

Quote Originally Posted by Food Blog View Post
    I know a guy who practically models himself off Cartman and there are similar undertones of how far he'll take some things.
    Why any human being would model themselves after Eric Cartman is a question more complex than the meaning of life, so I shall bid you adieu before my brain implodes.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Dear God the fangirls, shippers and slash fiction writers are gonna have a field day with this episode.

The "Cupid Me" thing was amusing for a bit, but I couldn't help thinking "Does Cartman seem more crazy than usual with that crap?", the gay stuff was amusing and the first time Cartman said it I was like "Holy shit! He's really going the extra mile to pull this off", but Kyle thinking the girls were into him when they were really discussing his apparent homosexuality was one of the funniest things about the episode, also loved the Batmobile stuff. Nichole's dad was funny and I also LOVED the "Soft Serve" commercial.

My only complaint is that Cartman...I don't think he deserved what he got in the end, yeah he was being racist but it was (Weirdly) coming from a nice place. Halitosis kid was just fucking horrible (To look at and as a joke, I wasn't offended or anything, I just thought it was more fucked up than funny).

A good mid-season finale...but not the best. 4/5
    I too thought Cartman didn't earn much in the way of punishment--while his reasons were politically incorrect, he did end up being successful at making two people happy together. That said, I thought the ending was good; a gross girl chases a scared Cartman off-camera. It's a pretty mild punishment when you consider that other episodes have had him struck by lightning, beaten to a pulp by Wendy, or pooping out a ton of plastic treasure.

Blog Entries

In future, this episode will be considered a classic for me. And I forgot to mention the Game of Thrones reference. Another highlight of this episode

But the thing I mostly liked about this episode was that it focused on Cartman's antics which is something you'd find in classic episodes, instead of episodes where pop culture is the main focus in the story.

Blog Entries

what i liked:

-game of thrones reference

-cupid me

-cartman hitting cupid me with a baseball bat

-the ending with the halitosis girl chasing cartman

-cartman on the jumboscreen announcing his 'love' for kyle

-token and nichole getting back together

"A nice white Jewish Boy"- for some reason Nichole's dad saying that made me laugh.

good episode. 5/5

Amazing chapter, the best of the season so far.

GRADE: A-

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

Along with "Butterballs", it was one of the best of the season so far.

Really enjoyed it and the end scene with Cartman on the jumbo screen, and everyone in the crowd awwwing at the Cartman and Kyle love, had me laughing all over the place.

4/5
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Upon another viewing, I found this episode to not hold up well. Cupid Me moments were still kind of funny, but otherwise the humor relies on the situations - Cartman telling everyone Kyle is his gay lover and the girl's dad telling her it's ok to pursue white boys - and after the first viewing, you know they're coming. Yeah, it was cool that they didn't rely on current events, but that didn't prevent me from getting bored and turning it off halfway through. The thing I like about the seasons 2-5 episodes is that they still have jokes written in, so they have way more opportunities to make me laugh. I'd probably give Cartman Finds Love a 3-3.5/5 now.

How does it hold up for the rest of you?

Blog Entries

Opinion still stands with a 5, I'm afraid. I really enjoyed this

Quote Originally Posted by The Flimpsons View Post
    How does it hold up for the rest of you?
    I didn't really enjoy it the first time. I cared so little for it, without hating it, that I neglected to post entirely. It's not as much as there's something wrong with it like other episodes, it's just lacking the punch it used to have. I rewatched it and there's really not all that much to laugh at on a second viewing.

Thread Information