Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overrated episodes of Jean Era

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

It should be considered a crime to consider any Lauren MacMullan episode as overrated.
    Except for possibly The Wandering Juvie.

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Tons but I'd personally like to say something about Homer the Father. While it does contain Homer & Bart bonding and some good moments, it just doesn't have that certain something required to make it a classic; it merely comes across as an above average outing for The Simpsons. There are a couple of things that hold it down, things like framing it around "Thicker than Waters" (which seems more modern then retro) and the whole Chinese spy thing which was awkwardly worked into the episode (no matter how many times you say it, the retinal scan gag is not funny) plus the ending just seemed awkward and unfunny. It's heart is in the right place but it's not the classic people make it out to be. I could rewatch it 6 times but my opinion of it will remain the same, above-average outing.
    My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

1 good post in every 5 The Spruce Moose's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    It should be considered a crime to consider any Lauren MacMullan episode as overrated.
    Except for possibly The Wandering Juvie.
    yeah, who needs jokes, a solid plot or relatable characters when the animation is so scrumptious?
    Come check out The Simpsons Hurt and Heal Tournament II - Season 18 Up Now!
    4 = 6 > 3 > 5 > 7 > 2 > 8 > 1 > 9 > 10 > 11 > 14 > 12 > 15 > 13 > 16 > 18 > 17 and who gives a fuck after that

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    I could rewatch it 6 times but my opinion of it will remain the same, above-average outing.
    I assume this was addressed at me Zombies? Seemed unnecessary..well whatever then the vast majority of people would agree with you or have an even more negative opinion regarding it anyway.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Homer the Father was nothing special to me.

Time to defend The Seemingly Neverending Story I guess :

-Great story structure. The story into a story is , to me ,a lot more interesting than other format benders, probably the most interesting structure ever and I'm including even 22 shorts here. This structure provides a mistery...

-A mistery that comes back to the cave setting in the first act, this is not just unrelated stuff so the Simpsons can tell a story, the wraparounds are really significant to the conclusion. And I love the cave setting, it gives an adventure-like touch to the plot, a kinda Indy, Carl Bark's Mr. Scrooge touch to it

-Burns. Burns is Burns in this episode. Pangea. The gym-kana. Smiling in the bus. Not being especially nice to Lisa, but showing some humanity. "You poor man...are about to get a lot poorer"

-You can say what you want about the running gag of Rich Texan, but at least they gave him something to do.

-A goat telling its story. Comedy gold.

-The direction in the Moe story and his voice over gives that part of the episode a very cinematic feel that feels different to the rest of the episode

-Even though it doesn't totally work it tries to explain a story from Edna's past and making it kinda significant

-Barney reappering when Moe has already thrown him away from the tavern. Great gag and classic characterization of Barney.

-The ending is ambiguous enough. If you didn't like the past of any of the characters you can think parts of the story were invented.

And more things I probably don't remember.

So yeah, maybe Jailbird past wasn't great and a couple of moments of Rich Texan were a little annoying, but the episode is ful of brilliant things. As a format bender the structure is good and THE STORY is good, while Trilogy of Error is more about the structure, the stories are not really that good. Also most of the gags were good and the characters well used, especially Homer, Moe, Barney and Burns.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

lust 4 quagland HANDSOME.S4.COMPLETE.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Behind the Laughter and Trilogy of Error.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe
    The only thing you've managed to do is piss us off. You are a fucking prick, and it's people like you that are bringing this damn country down.

Mr Spritz
    Guhh..it is really dull isn't it?
    Like..politics are boring as it is D:

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rkell48 View Post
    Mr Spritz
    No, making fun of politics is funny, guhhh...go watch Homer fall down a few more times. Guhh...

Quote Originally Posted by rkell48 View Post
    Mr Spritz
    Mr Spritz is a fine episode, even if Sideshow Bob Roberts is far better.

Thread Information