Thread: Favorite Family Guy DVD Commentator

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Favorite Family Guy DVD Commentator

In my previous thread, I asked who your favorite Simpsons commentator is.

Now, discuss who your favorite commentator is for Family Guy.

You can also discuss American Dad and Cleveland Show commentators.

Edit: My favorite commentator is Danny Smith.

catchin' some gnarly pounders comeau's Avatar

I don't know if I've ever listened to a Family Guy commentary before.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Haven't listened to one in years....I owned the first 3 dvd sets when I was young, I only remember liking how Seth Green points out a wrong colored Boba Fett in Brian Wallows and Peter's Swallows...

Ringo Next HANDSOME.S4.E6.XMAS.GUYS.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Desperate thread is desperate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
    Oreo: creme or cookie
    My friend is a big creme supporter and beat me up because i like the cookie better.

Twitter

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dan Povenmire always had interesting things to say.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The most interesting FG-audiocommentary for Simpsons fans is the one during Movin' Out as it contains a whole discussion about the feud between FG and The Simpsons and how it escalated because of this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    The most interesting FG-audiocommentary for Simpsons fans is the one during Movin' Out as it contains a whole discussion about the feud between FG and The Simpsons and how it escalated because of this scene.
    So what did they say?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    So what did they say?
    Basically Seth MacFarlane called FOX pussies. He said that they didn't want any more Simpson gags on the show nor could The Simpsons make fun of Family GUy because FOX wanted to end the feud.
    He then goes on to say that it seems odd that they would allow The Simpsons to throw the final punch and not let FG retort one last time and that Quagmire raping Marge was no worse than the Plagiarist joke about Peter in "The Italian Bob". Finally saying that the fact of the matter is the FOX executives are scared of James L. Brooks.

After his rant he does say some very nice things about Matt and how Matt actually has a very good sense of humour about the whole thing.

Oh, and my two favourite commentators are Seth MacFarlane and....this guy who's name I can't remember. It might be Danny Smith. He was in the commentary for the episode where Peter, Quagmire and Mort join the police academy.
    Fun Fact: I hate heights

Will Cosby Impersonator Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My favorite commenter was Seth, or at least when I still used to buy the FG DVD's. I still regret buying Volume 8 the episodes were pretty bad. Volume 7 wasn't that great either but still enjoyable.
    .............My Twitter

Ringo Next HANDSOME.S4.E6.XMAS.GUYS.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    Quagmire raping Marge was no worse than the Plagiarist joke about Peter in "The Italian Bob".
    lol

Quagmire raping Marge was no worse than the Plagiarist joke about Peter in "The Italian Bob".

Haha, if only that was true; the rape sequence followed by Quagmire murdering the whole family was way, way worse than the plagiarist joke. It was just too much and not funny at all (unlike the brief plagiarist joke); it's a good example of how to not make fun of another show.

And thanks for the explanation (but I really wonder how Matt could have 'a good sense of humor' about that part; it was disrespectful as sin).

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Finally saying that the fact of the matter is the FOX executives are scared of James L. Brooks.
    It amazed me that stuff like that wasn't censored on the commentary.
    Didn't he also criticize Al Jean?

Blog Entries

And thanks for the explanation (but I really wonder how Matt could have 'a good sense of humor' about that part; it was disrespectful as sin).
    Matt and Seth aren't really at the helm of the gags about one and others shows. The feud is non-existent between them, only taking place between the writers on each show.

Quote Originally Posted by cinco View Post
    It amazed me that stuff like that wasn't censored on the commentary.
    Didn't he also criticize Al Jean?
    I don't think they've ever censored the FG commentary. But in that episode, I don't know if he talked about Al Jean or not....I can't recall him being brought up, but there was some asian woman who's name I can't remember doing the commentary who used to work on The Simpsons, who kept the hate going when Seth tried to say some nice things about Matt.

She was all like, "Oh COME ON! We all know you're gonna say Matt's an amazing guy...but fuck that!" (She didn't say that EXACTLY, but it's the general gist of it) She said something about how it used to be very funny and fresh back during her time there and the job was good but then she said "...And now Season (I can't remember), come on, they can't even wrap up a story!?" which Seth burst out laughing at simply because he wasn't expecting her to come out with that.

Matt and Seth aren't really at the helm of the gags about one and others shows. The feud is non-existent between them, only taking place between the writers on each show.
    Well, yeah, but I still have a hard time buying that Matt is okay with that "gag". If I had created an animated show and another show would poke fun at it by raping and killing my characters, I would not have such a 'a good sense of humor' about it, so if Matt is really okay with that bit in Family Guy, he is definitely a strong man.

And about the commentaries themselves, I haven't really heard a complete one but I tried out a bit of the one from 'It's A Trap!' (the parody of Return Of The Jedi) and the legendary Hayao Miyazaki came up in their discussion and someone said something like "Fuck Miyazaki, he's a hack!" or something like that. I can understand that it was said in a joking manner, but even saying things jokingly like that doesn't sit so well with me since it's pretty disrespectful.

Blog Entries

Well, yeah, but I still have a hard time buying that Matt is okay with that "gag". If I had created an animated show and another show would poke fun at it by raping and killing my characters, I would not have such a 'a good sense of humor' about it, so if Matt is really okay with that bit in Family Guy, he is definitely a strong man.
    Matt has created one of the most successful shows in television history, I'm sure he could care less about it. That joke will fade away faster than the legacy of The Simpsons as a whole. Though I am willing to believe the whole FOX trying to end the feud thing was legitimate due to the scene of Peter being killed in the opening Treehouse of Horror XVII by Marge with an electric egg beater that got replaced with someone from a different FOX show.

I can understand that it was said in a joking manner, but even saying things jokingly like that doesn't sit so well with me since it's pretty disrespectful.
    I think when you say it in such a way that makes it obvious to the listeners that you don't actually mean it nor is it meant to be taken seriously, it's fine. If you express your real opinion in a way that has such a venom to it then you just sound like a dick.

I will say this though, there is a joke in the episode "Cool Hand Peter" that is actually funnier if you remember the Quagmire raping Marge thing.

Thread Information