Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The worst commentaries for an episode

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

The worst commentaries for an episode

I've already made a thread before about good and bad commentators.

And there was a thread discussing great commentaries. I always loved commentaries that featured people that knew what they were discussing (David Mirkin, Dan Castellenta, Matt Groening, Bill Oakley, Josh Weinstein, Conan O'Brien , and Jim Reardon). I usually consider commentators that don't know what the hell they're looking at to be a bit annoying (Julie Kavner, Yeardley Smith and Mike Scully during his showrunner episodes), but I can tolerate them if they are partnered with good people. I can also tolerate "dead air" moments, but the whole stretch from "Bart Gets Famous" where nobody talks for nearly 3 minutes still bugs me. All in all, I generally love about 70% of commentaries and listen to them on a regular basis.

Of course, I complained about a few people, like I said, and there are a few episodes I just cannot listen to.

*Bart's Friend Falls in Love: 10 commentators. Dan Castellenta isn't one of them, but Julie Kavner and Yeardley Smith are. The whole thing just goes nowhere with Jean and Reiss trying to explain certain ideas (such as Jean not wanting Bart to come off as "gay" when he wants Milhouse to spend time with him and not Samantha Stanky), Kogen and Wolodarsky explaining their ideas, and Kavner and Smith showing their lack-of-intellegence about the series. It's the old adage, "too many cooks in the kitchen can ruin the sauce". "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation" did have 12 people, but it was mostly around the fact that it featured Mick Jagger and Keith Richards ("That's right, Otto! Looks over at tree!"), which was entertaining.

*My Sister, My Sitter: I know I've complained about Simon and Molly Weinstein when it came to "El Viyage de Mysterioso de Nuestro Homer", but I loved that episode enough to be able to tolerate them. Because I don't care much for this episode in the first place, it really doesn't help with Simon going "Is that a car?" and talking about a friend of his with a cast at school. This also was the episode where he asked about Homer's wrists, I believed.

*The Last Temptation of Krust: Commentaries with guest stars can be a mixed bag. I loved "Mayored to the Mob" with Mark Hamill (when he saw Homer walk out of Moe's with all those high-class Duffs, he went "And that'll be me leaving the green room."), for example. Of course, Jay Leno did this one and it's mostly him talking about how his comedic mentor was antiquated with his comedy approach and recapped every third joke that was said.

*Make Room For Lisa: It's another one of those examples that proves that Scully is either in denial or unapoligetic about his choices (it's not like he's inconsiderate, but given his orientation of humor, I don't think he's going to admit that most fans didn't like the stuff he did as showrunner, especially in the 11th and 12th seasons). For one thing, he's very proud of the acting direction of Homer trying to show love to Lisa while at the same time not giving a damn about what she liked or wanted. And, also, for about two minutes, the whole group eats potato chips.

*They Saved Lisa's Brain: Most of the episode's commentary was basically revolved around Marc Wilmore pretending to be the mayor of East St. Louis, Illinois and having a practical joke at the expense of Matt Selman back in the day, and only getting to the episode towards the end of the second act (I was hoping somebody would've discussed how crappy "Momma" was, since Mell Lazarus was featured as a joke, but they actually praised the comic). Pretty obvious example of a Scully-era commentary with Mike not really paying attention to the show and digging into his "fun facts" real fast.

I know I wanted to discuss both sides of the coin.
    Last edited by J Dog; 08-27-2012 at 07:02 AM.

Trying to nap Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Star is Burns. It's a 22-minute-long advertisement for The Critic.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

not a huge fan of voice actors on commentary. more often than not, yeardley just sounds senile

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

I was disappointed with A Star Is Burns' commentary not getting into the Critic controversy. But as far as dull commentaries, most of Scully's were pretty disappointing. I'm most interested when I hear the staff mention things they regret (like Groening hating the winking fish in War of the Simpsons), so I was hoping for a lot more of that during the Scully years.

Which episode had Yeardley laughing about how Krusty's arms are a different color than his face, and Matt Groening replying flatly that it's because he's wearing clown makeup? That was always a really strange exchange to me.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    Which episode had Yeardley laughing about how Krusty's arms are a different color than his face, and Matt Groening replying flatly that it's because he's wearing clown makeup? That was always a really strange exchange to me.
    my point exactly.

Pin Pal MagicalManFromHappyLand's Avatar

The commentary on 'El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer' was awful because someone brought their kids along who wouldn't shut up.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The one where they have their mothers come in to talk about the sho.. wait, nevermind.. that was SGC2C.

all the ones where bill and josh talk.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dylan

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whenever Scully takes out his "fun facts." He even admits near the start of Monty Can't Buy Me Love that they have nothing to say about it and as you'd expect it is rather bad...

The worst aside from Scully? Probably The Canine Mutiny for me. It is already a weak episode for its season, but the commentary only has three people and Dominic Polcino outright questions why they do commentaries at all which always bugged me. Aside from that it just isn't interesting.

Guest commentators can be a mixed bag. Stan Lee, while not really talking much about the episode, is hilarious. The guy from Brawl in the Family ruins the commentary until the last few moments when he leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by melody nelson View Post
    not a huge fan of voice actors on commentary. more often than not, yeardley just sounds senile
    oh agree on yeardly. what commentary does this conversation happen on?

yeardly: is that an hommage to you?

greoning (sarcastically): yes it's an hommage to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    Guest commentators can be a mixed bag. Stan Lee, while not really talking much about the episode, is hilarious. The guy from Brawl in the Family ruins the commentary until the last few moments when he leaves.
    ^agreed, oh god yes. Stan Lee's is hilarious and i can't stand that guy in Brawl in the Family.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Thompsons View Post
    did they really have to say,

"we wanted to get back to the family, we wanted to do a few episodes that pushed the envelope."

10 times every commentary?

Their enthusiasm towards the show was quite refreshing. They genuinely had a passion to make it their own and make it interesting for the viewer. They brought a fan's perspective to producing the show, something that is sorrowly missed with todays current regime.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

we're talking about commentaries, not the actual show. we're talking bout commentary, not not not the actual show, we talking bout commentary. we in hear talking about commentary, not not a not the not the actual show. we talking about commentary, we talking about commentary, we talking bout commentary.....not even talking about the actual show.

"How the hell can I make my team mates better by practicing?!"

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: ofhf, parklife

Sorry if I didn't clarify, but this is what I got from their commentaries. I found it very interesting to hear them discuss their approach to producing the show and how they wanted to mold the show in their own way. Much more interesting than Scully's "fun facts."

never realized how much allen iverson looks like avon barksdale

simpson tide only had two people talking and that was boring. i was hoping monty cant buy me love would be good but overall mike scully is one of my least favorite commentators. im gladvjulie kavner stopped doing them because she didnt add much more than questions. nancy cartwright should do more and so should hank azaria im getting kind of tired of yeardley smith talking about how lisa “exists in her own way”

coked up on loneliness in the suburbs missing soph- hamm

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkass Homer View Post
    To be fair, David Mirkin is a tough act to follow. As is Jon Lovitz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by al and mike View Post
    To be fair, David Mirkin is a tough act to follow. As is Jon Lovitz
    I dunno...Mirkin can be great, but at times he seems to talk over people and over explains things, which can be both good and bad. I do love the one where he silences Scully though, saying he'll get his chance. Lisa's Rival I think?

coked up on loneliness in the suburbs missing soph- hamm

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I dunno...Mirkin can be great, but at times he seems to talk over people and over explains things, which can be both good and bad. I do love the one where he silences Scully though, saying he'll get his chance. Lisa's Rival I think?
    True, but when I listen to his commentaries, it's like having two shows in one.
    He can be a bit obnonxious and overbearing, but he always keeps things interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    A Star is Burns. It's a 22-minute-long advertisement for The Critic.
    I loved how Lovitz kept making fun of Jean and Reiss, but I hated that they never bothered to discuss how much Matt Groening hated the episode (so much that he had his name removed from the credits and was intentionally absent), and James L. Brooks was there, since it was his idea to do the episode. This isn't me bashing the Critic, but the fact that the controversy about the show was entirely ignored.

So, the one complaint I have is the same as yours... it was basically a 22-minute long Critic celebration.
    Last edited by J Dog; 04-20-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kidpresentable View Post
    simpson tide only had two people talking and that was boring. i was hoping monty cant buy me love would be good but overall mike scully is one of my least favorite commentators. im gladvjulie kavner stopped doing them because she didnt add much more than questions. nancy cartwright should do more and so should hank azaria im getting kind of tired of yeardley smith talking about how lisa “exists in her own way”
    "The Crepes of Wrath", "The Day the Violence Died", and the alternate commentary for "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson" had two people talking. In the case of "Violence", like "Simpson Tide", it was the showrunners.

With that episode, I was really hoping to hear Bill or Josh utter the words "right-wing parody" to explain the spoof on Schoolhouse Rock, but never did.

:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=: c l o n e's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've only listened (ie. attempted to listen) to one Scully commentary. It was pretty much

"So, this episode was written by Swartzwelder.."
    [joke]
    "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"
    "classic Swartzwelder"
    "he loves old timey stuff"
    [joke]
    "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

...sorta put me off listening to any more scully commentaries

scully hates the fun facts himself.

no matter who it is i dont like commentaries with just two people its my problem and i'll deal with it

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife

Blog Entries

How do you feel about those hidden commentaries on Season 3 where Jean or Reiss comments alone?

this feels like a trap

Fight Fire With Fire Dehumanizer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have yet to listen to any commentaries from season fourteen, due to the fact that each episode has like twenty different fucking commentators. Sorry, that's just annoying and a huge clusterfuck to me. Pretty unnecessary. So in a way, I can consider those types of commentaries the worst.

Along with most where Scully is involved.

Trying to nap Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I never did get to finishing the Season 14 commentaries. I will eventually, but they're just so BORING now.

for the most part commentary quality went down as the show did

Thread Information