View Poll Results: How do you rate "Beware My Cheating Bart"? (PABF11)

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Pimp

11 14.10%
  • 4/5: Stud

28 35.90%
  • 3/5: Playah

19 24.36%
  • 2/5: John McCain

10 12.82%
  • 1/5: Homer

10 12.82%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Beware My Cheating Bart" (PABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

No longer creepy Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ModernSimpsonsRocks View Post
    DEAR GOD STOP IT! There is no such thing as Zombie Simpsons!!!
    Stop being a humorless ****.
    ModernSimpsonsRocks, I agree with you in theory. In theory, Communism works; in theory...
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted The Telltale Head 2: Bart Gets an F The War of the Simpsons 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious Lisa's Date with Density 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is interesting that The Simpsons is in such a unique predicament where it has gone on so long that the majority of the show is now not even considered a part of the show by some. I've read it equated with the Star Wars prequels, but there were only 6 movies in that franchise, this seems bigger. Personally I despise the "zombie" name which too many people attach to Modern Simpsons, but eh...

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say each new season is like another new "______ Movie" and laughing at it comes from awful most of it is.

Good to see you guys can't stop bitching about how terrible the show is even when a decent episode airs.
    If you're lucky there will be plenty more talking bar rag / Moe is yeti spawn episodes for you to rip on in a few weeks and next year.

Also, Bartist needs to check out The Book Job.

Blog Entries

Three decent episodes does not a good season make.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Random stuff happening does not a plot make

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Good to see you guys can't stop bitching about how terrible the show is even when a decent episode airs.
    I remember a time when the series was better than "decent."
    I also know that the potential is still there for something better than "decent."
    This is why I am usually disappointed.
    (EDIT: This is also why I have lowered my standards for the show. I know it'll never get back to what it used to be. It's a double-edged sword, I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    If you're lucky there will be plenty more talking bar rag / Moe is yeti spawn episodes for you to rip on in a few weeks and next year.
    Luck has nothing to do with certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    Don't forget the obligatory scene where Bart asks Homer about "his friend whose a dude who likes other dudes, but not in a bromantic, barfly sort of way."
    After raging against Bart's turn to homosexuality for most of the episode (which provides many hilarious tirades against homosexuals,) Homer turns the other cheek when he is inspired by an internet video in act four. He then makes his own internet video, which goes viral, and he is hailed as a champion of homosexuals in Springfield's gay community. Also, he gets a gay talk show, why not.
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 04-16-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Junior Camper

5 out of 5. Everything worked for me on this one. I absolutely loved it. Nothing felt off, and it just felt like what I want the show to feel like.

For anyone complaining that they are doing a Lost parody late, did you not actually watch? It was a parody of people getting obsessed wih the dvds. There are even multiple jokes about how its a show that ended 5 years ago...

Pin Pal MagicalManFromHappyLand's Avatar

Probably about a 3.5/5, which puts it at third best of the season. The issue for me was that Shauna was so much older, but at least they acknowledged that she had problems (The only guy who can tell her who she is a creepy older guy).
    So there were issues, but it probably had the fewest issues of any episode this season. I thought everything immediately after the second ad break was funny, the highlight of the episode for me.
    Homer's story was pretty good too, and they got straight into the story, and there was some decent parody in there (not quite satire, but parody).

3.5/5 rounded up to a 4/5 for the poll.

Blog Entries

It looked to be well-written (a lot more effort was put into the b-story than I thought, which I believed was just going to be "Homer runs on a treadmill just because there's a TV attached to it"), and thankfully, it was an episode that wasn't guest star-reliable. However, it still has those Al Jean nuances, such as him not giving a rat's you-know-what about most fans anymore (the chalkboard gag and the "universal pan" gags contradicting one another), and the tiring stuff. But, I can't really give a full review, because I didn't see the whole episode.

Speaking of which, does anyone have frames of some of those jokes from that ending. I may have missed one or two.

Blog Entries

Things that are humorless receive four stars? No wonder you love Zombie Simpsons.

Brakes 4 Committees Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Beware My Cheating Bart

At last, the episode from a well known freelancer known for several skits has finally arrived; and it's as mediocre as I expected it to be. Before the episode even aired, there was a reddit q&a regarding the writer and most of it related to what he had written. That's not to say that what he written might of been good before he either decided to give into peer pressure and modify the episode or the episode he written was never that good but those answers surely tempted you with promise because it gave you hope that the episode would be good.

Unfortunately it's main premise (Bart dating yet another girl, except this time she's Jimbo's girlfriend.) is muddled in mediocrity. Part of the problem is that there isn't any true exploration between Bart and the Girl; in order for one to connect, one needs to explore into the relationship a bit and convince them that they have a connection; because of that lack of exploration, there's nothing that makes us connect with them, they're just two people, one being a teenage girl and one being someone who is dating that girl except he has dated tons of girls a ton of times. The first act does tempt you with promise that maybe, this episode might be good (because they're not taking the usual route with the relationship and at least Bart is well written) but instead it just fills you with false hope as the episode takes a downward spiral like Flight 815 midway through the episode.

One thought that the episode would revolve around Bart and his knowledge that he is Jimbo's girlfriend; hell, I thought this wouldn't be a relationship episode but it turns out that it is one, complete with scenes which show a relationship. One could imagine how the episode would turned out had Bart tried to get her away from Jimbo and onto another suitable man, that would of shown Bart's feelings for her but not the full blown love that this episode portrayed. This episode attempts to replicate some of the feeling of New Kid on the Block with it's scenes that attempt to have the cuteness and charm that episode had, it mostly succeeds at some points but a lot of points it just feels like a pale imitation except for the fact that they're actually dating and the bullies appear a bit more then usual. (and they're back to their old selves.)

Another part of the problem is that there doesn't seem to be much incentive to care and Jimbo's Girlfiend reflects that all too well... Watching Jimbo's Girlfriend, you'd be inclined to forget her and you'd be mostly right because there is nothing that makes her memorable, nothing. There isn't any personality or charm or even uniqueness, she just exists because they thought the Bart romance thing would be interesting if Jimbo and one of her girlfriends was somehow involved; if they revealed some of her personality and backstory I would care but as it stands, I don't. Another thing that also reflects the apathy is the sudden transitions that lack explanation; for one, first Bart and Jimbo's Girlfriend are in a pool and then Bart is out with no sign of his girlfriend, what happened to her? If they cared, they'd go the extra effort to make sure this stuff is rectified, no matter how minute it is. Another one... the sudden act where they appear in the treehouse enforces this, they could of at least explained it off with a meta joke.

Let's not forget about the boobs thing, It's understandable for a 10 year old to react that way when he sees boobs but Bart's not wholesome, it's not like he hasn't seen boobs before in his life; plus the whole thing doesn't seem as natural or even relatable as you'd expect. So yeah, it starts off mediocre and it ends mediocre.

The other major thing the episode has going for it is it's sideplot, in which Homer gets a tredmill and forgoes exercising for watching a TV show called "Standed". Yes, this is the Lost parody everybody was talking about... the Lost fan inside of me was just dreading this day. It was interesting to see how the parody would go since the series has ended and nobody has attempt to parody the entire series before (all 6 seasons have parody worthy moments.) so surely The Simpsons could be able to do it right? You already know the question, watching this is like the animated equivalent of this.

Babar fans, message me with the moment similar to the one shown and you could win a Babar: Season 1 DVD.
    The parody turns out to be like every other parody of Lost out there; mysterious island, weird stuff happening, mysteries, confusion... They don't make any attempt to go further, not parodying the supposed deepness of the series or the relationships or the culture or or even the hatch (which every parody since the dawn of time has done, it's one of the most identifiable things of the show.); all they parody is something that anybody's grandma could do. You think that them being the Simpsons and all they would be able to get all 6 seasons of Lost, hell; they would at least have someone who has watched all 6 seasons or have done the research regarding Lost. Watching this episode just makes the Lostie inside of me mad, hulk mad even... There are a lot of things that need to be noted.

• Time Travel was never that complex; Whatever Happened, Happened.
    • The island is a TV show? Wow, what an original joke...
    • A kitty cat in a coconut with the flight number... (which is 815, they didn't bother to change it ) Even Lost didn't go to that extreme.
    • An attempt to theme the show around cats and use the alien language is weak, just enforces that you both don't know how to make something special and you don't know about Lost.
    • Everybody looks exactly like their Lost selves, they don't even parody their personalities.
    • I hope it pays off. I know about "The End" too brotha, some liked it and some didn't but doesn't mean you get a free pass to make an obvious comment about it.
    • The way Lisa suddenly appears with information (she seems to do that alot, anybody wanna make a meta comment about that.) about the show harms the plot; plus Lost was super popular during it's 2nd and 4th seasons, not just the first and last ones.
    • If you're watching this episode in 2015, it's accurate.
    • Where's DHARMA?

There was an Arthur episode called "Brain Gets Hooked" that parodied Lost. It had a better name ("Junior Island"), it parodied the soap opera relationships, it had a Swan-like station, it even referenced the inconsistencies and how addictive the show is. In the Arthur episode, Brain is the actual representation of a Lost fan while in The Simpsons episode, Homer is just a caricature holding a notebook while doing something like holding a meeting at the end. It's pathetic when an Arthur episode manages to parody the subject well, thoroughly and in a way that actually makes it seem like they watched Lost; it is.

Do you notice the Lost stars that I have? I am a Lost fan and I know that I shouldn't get mad at these parodies but this is just an insult to Lost. I have watched Lost, all 6 seasons. I watched as they built the raft and Locke tried to blow up the hatch. I watched as Desmond tried to fix the Swan computer. I watched as Locke threw those eggs, I even watched as they time traveled back in time; I know the characters, I know the stuff and I know the little "inside jokes" they leave us, to insult ones show with a shoddy parody is the ultimate insult of all; we have more then just weirdness and mystery you know, we have a culture, we have characters, we have a show with tons of subtext, if you can't parody that then it proves that you shouldn't be making parodies anymore! I'm guessing Damon Lindoff and Carlton Cuse are in their rooms thinking of a way to parody their own show as we speak.

The shitty Lost parody sets up what appears to be yet another Homer and Marge marriage crisis subplot; with Homer ignoring his wife and Marge yelling at Homer. There isn't anything special about this, well maybe the start with the exercising machine (who's presentation seems unusually flashy), how much Homer gets obsessed on the show and the meeting but those don't seem to add much to the proceedings; there is nothing to make this subplot interesting, it's just the usual Homer and Marge marrige plot. It's almost ironic really since I wrote a lot more words talking about the Lost parody then I did the subplot.

At the end of the day, the freelance writer couldn't step up to the task of writing a really amazing Simpsons episode. His intentions are noble but what we end up with are the results of blandness and mediocrity, the Bart & Jimbo's Girlfirned ends up being just that, Bart & Jimbo's Girlfriend and the Homer & Marge supblot is one of the worst the show has ever done, if mainly for it's piss-poor Lost parody. This episode had potential, hell the writer of the episode had some interesting ideas (like the one where he written Ralph into mostly every scene despite his overrated appeal in today's times.) but it's all wasted and it leaves us scratching our head, thinking what the hell happened?

5.0/10

Unanswered Questions:
    • What goes on in the writing room, what do they do in relation to the scripts?
    • How much of the original script is really kept?
    • Is there a sickness among the writers, is the sickness even real?
    • Where did their enthusiasm go?
    Last edited by Zombies Rise from the Sea; 04-16-2012 at 09:39 AM.

★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ - the times cloneasaurus's Avatar

I think bullet points are appropriate here:

• Couch gag was good. Personally I still prefer the John K one, but it was amusing at least.
    • Chalkboard gag could have at least been "I will not misinterpret my interviewee" or something. I mean, the actual gag they had just wasn't...funny/didn't feel like any kind of commentary in any way
    • Liked some of the background movie parodies (Cars 3: New Merchandise)
    • Squeeky Voice Teen's voice was really off.
    • The Bart plot was good, but poorly concluded (as per usual [ZING]). I liked Shauna as a character even if she was nowhere near as memorable as someone like Jessica Lovejoy. Bart was in good character too
    • That said some of Shauna's dialogue was poor ("Oh my God, no one's ever cared what's best for me!" = writing by numbers; even a tiny alteration would have at least made it believable. Either way, it's a minor problem in this case)
    • I know the "Bart's girlfriend" plot has been done - what, 7 times now, but honestly, out of 500 episodes, I'm past caring.
    • That montage with Milhouse getting hit by a car was definitely a reference to something (but I don't know what).
    • Nice to see the bullies threatening again, but still getting along with Marge - though the joke was much better in The PTA Disbands ("That's a very nice jig, Kearney!")
    • Enjoyed the subplot. As someone who recently has started marathoning through various TV shows, some of the jokes rang true for me (Homer talking about how he was only up to a specific episode to avoid spoilers is something I have done)
    • The subplot also referenced Thicker Than Waters (Homer the Father), Admiral Baby (Homer to the Max) and Alaska Nebraska (Waverly Hills).
    • I do think the subplot should have been cut back though. A lot of the Homer/Marge stuff was kinda grinding and felt like a waste of time
    • Few laughs here and there: "Dude, you should totally write that down" (second time), Homer negotiating with the sports guy, some stuff here and there which I've forgotten.... all in all, about 3/4 light laughs from me

In other - shorter - words, it was decent, but not particularly memorable or funny.

C+

EDIT: Cartoonnetwork jigged my memory. Jimbo arising from the sandpit was the funniest thing in the episode.
    Last edited by cloneasaurus; 04-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Pin Pal MagicalManFromHappyLand's Avatar

Something I often wonder is that the writers complain that they haven't got as much time to work with now because of the 4 act structure and longer ads, while this is true they seem to waste minutes of the episode on the opening, this episode was nearly 2 minutes in by the time it started, the short title intro and a short couch gag could have given them about a minute and a half longer to work with. In that minute and a half they could've added small scenes showing Bart and Shauna bonding and show that they like each other, not tell us that they do.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the couch gag, but I'll take 2 minutes more added to the episode over any couch gag.

Blog Entries

I actually LOVED this episode! If The Simpsons had an episode to episode continuity like King of The Hill, I would be all for Bart and Shauna staying together. The age thing could make for some interesting stuff, like Marge finding out. Hell, I'm actually surprised Lisa or Jimbo didn't mention something about the age gap.

Had to pause a few times for laughter at Ralph driving, the boob food, Homer's first word and Carl coming down with a case of "Listen up bitches!". Also liked Homer drinking while he was still crushed by the box.

The only problem I had with the episode...the couch gag...now before you all stone me, the animation was cool, but the idea of Homer impregnating the couch was BEYOND fucked up. Yes, in an episode where a teenager has an affair with a 10 year old (Which before I forget I chuckled at Bart pointing out his age...good thing I write this stuff down...type it, whatever) THAT'S what I found disturbing.

I guess part of why I like this episode so much is because I've been in Bart's situation...minus the age thing..and being hung upside down from a treehouse.

Homer's sub-plot was a lot better than I thought it would be. When I first heard about it I thought it sounded kinda stupid but the Lost stuff, while far from current, was still funny.

The ending was amusing too...nice to see more Futurama references (BTW, does anybody else think that aside from the alien language during the "Stranded" bit and Fry and leela's cameo...there was a 3rd reference? The alien in the spaceship looks a LOT like Lrrr....RULER OF THE PLANET OMICRON PERSI EIGHT!)

5/5 on of the highlights of the season for me.

Oh, and one more thing...did anybody else think that when Shauna put that tie on the door she was planning on doing more than just kissing/groping?

Who's thirsty for a glass of ULTIMATE POWER?!

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with most of the things Zombies said, except that I've never watched Lost, so I can't really judge that part. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the subplot was one of the worst ever, though. In fact I thought it was decent and offered some laughs but it felt a little dated and it's also one of those things that would work better as a little scene instead of a whole subplot. In fact it would have probably been better if Homer had been shown watching parodies of different recent series and that were only one of them.

On an unrelated note I would say something similar about the couch gag. As much as I love John Kricfalusi's and Bill Plympton's works I kinda wish the stuff would figure out some way of including their animated segment in the actual episodes instead of filling time with an unrelated short. Problem is a couch gag has to involve the couch somehow and there are only a few things you can do with a couch. So I'm kind of tired of watching these "couch" stories. I love the "Evolution" and "Universe" ones, and I enjoyed Banksy, John K.'s, and Plympton's ones, but , especially with the two last ones, I feel that I would have liked it better if they had included some Bart's or Homer's imaginary sequences in the actual episodes that were designed by the guest animator, that would make the real episode more memorable. Now more often than not people will remember the couch gags but not the episodes in which they included them.

I agree with everything Zombies said about Bart/Shauna. There had been so many Bart's girlfriend plots than this one is not any different and I didn't believe Shauna being attracted to Bart not for one minute. She's older than him and she's supossed to be somewhat attracted to Jimbo, even if they are having a crisis, it's not like she's going to fall for Bart so easily.

There were aspects I liked, mostly the scenes involving the bullies. That's the one aspect that made the plot interesting, that dating this girl would get Bart in trouble. Jimbo appearing in the sandbox was especially hilarious and the climax at the treehouse with Lisa's unexpected intervention felt more interesting than usual. Other than that, it could have been great but it felt like wasted potential. Ultimately it was just an unoffensive but not very memorable outing that's getting too much praise, maybe cause the script is somewhat solid in a season full of lousy outings (even though I felt both How I Wet Your Mother and Exit Through The Kwik-E-Mart were probably better than this...Well, HIWYM was clearly better and Exit...paired but probably funnier).

C+ or 3'5/5 at best.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 04-16-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HMS pinafore View Post
    is a title that season 23 is not worthy of.
    As long as they continue to use the name, that's what it is, accept it or not.

• That must be one of the lamest FOX references they've ever had.
    • That couch intro was interesting but a little creepy.
    • "Horrible Premise" Now, that's satire. Right?
    • Very weak cut-away.
    • List joke. Oh man, I thought they were going to try that with the movie names but then they go and give us two with the machine description and tv shows. Thank you, writers.
    • "Corn, flour, corn, corn, no gluten." xD They still got it!
    • I thought there was no way they were going to parody Lost, a show that finished showing just short of two years ago. They even pointed out that it was culturally irrelevant for most of its run. They even joke that it went off the air "five years ago".
    • "This is the stupidist fight ever!" I like how they didn't stop and think "wait, not only is this not funny, but there's an element of truth. Perhaps we can do more."
    • I like how the animation for the whack-a-mole didn't match the characters. It just shows how little they care for quality now.
    • So wait Bart was actually driving? I thought that was going to be an imagination sequence.
    • Homer and Marge have a marriage dispute. What a fresh and interesting turn of events.
    • What happened to their en-suite when Homer's looking out at Bart and Jimbo?

And people wonder why this is called "Zombie Simpsons". Homer and Marge have marriage difficulties. Bart gets another girlfriend.

They should have just rerun New Kid of the Block.

EDIT:
    When did that happen?

[...] if you can't parody that then it proves that you shouldn't be making parodies anymore
    It felt like they were parodying what someone who hasn't watched Lost believes it to be.
    Last edited by Mr. Krikt; 04-16-2012 at 12:35 PM.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    [list][*]So wait Bart was actually driving? I thought that was going to be an imagination sequence.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention I hated this as well. I know he has driven before but at least in the previous episodes they made a big deal about it. This is one of those instances in which they do something in some episodes, then they feel they are legitimated to do it again even if it was far-fetched in the first place. If Bart can potentially do everything a teenager does, then his real age doesn't feel natural. I'm ok with him "acting" a little more mature than his age, little kids don't make for interesting character anyways, but there should be some realism in his capacities. If he's going to drive a car, at least they should make a bigger deal about it instead of showing it like a regular thing he would do in a normal day.

I kinda enjoyed how they aknowledged that with the Ralph joke, but that's just a so-so solution, making wacky things wackier does deliver some fun but ultimately I think a down-to-earth approach makes things more natural in the first place. For example I thought the final gag in Homer Of Seville was one of the few things that were fun in the episode: showing that Homer was now capable of making great paintings was kind of a fun way of pointing out how ridiculous the whole premise of the episode was...but that didn't make the stupid premise or the rest of the episode any better, it's a decent gag but not worth it of wasting an entire episode.

I also agree that the Bart gets a new girlfriend part is overused but I'd "defend" the 'Homer and Marge discussion' part. They were not having 'marriage difficulties' in this episode, they were just discussing over an issue. I don't think it felt that reiterative and I've not problem with them arguing about things as long as they don't try to divorce every week (something that actually happened a lot during seasons 17 and 18). I would say they are overdoing the "making peace with sex" part, though.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 04-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Why is Bart potrayed as a ten year old who goes, "Eww, girls are so icky." yet he dates every season or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Why is Bart potrayed as a ten year old who goes, "Eww, girls are so icky." yet he dates every season or so?
    Because the writers like to have their cake and eat it too.
    Or rather because the characterization for everyone is completely off or inconsistent now. One writer wants us to laugh at how Bart is ten and thinks cooties are real. The other writer wants Bart to make out with a fourteen year old girl.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ehh, at any rate, I still thought that this episode was good, and the characterization was also pretty spot-on.

I'm a man of wealth and taste Irvine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dude, if you're going to criticize somebody, at least have the courage to do it without censoring yourself.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings
    Homerland - C Treehouse of Horror XXIV - B Four Regrettings and a Funeral - C- YOLO - B Labor Pains - C The Kid is All Right - C+ Yellow Subterfudge - B White Christmas Blues - B- Steal This Episode - A- Married to the Blob - C- Specs and the City - C Diggs - D The Man Who Grew Too Much - F The Winter of His Content - B+ The War of Art - C- You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee - F Luca$ -D Days of Future Future - D

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 View Post
    what girl could resist a guy who wakes up his mother to ask her if she has a crush on hitler

That doesn't make sense, I just watched an episode of it today.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re-watched the episode and enjoyed it just as much. One thing I noticed on both watches but forgot to mention is I found the simple sight gag involving Gil watching the Jennifer Aniston movie to be very funny. Moleman and Lunchlady Doris were there together too, they were revealed to be an item in Homer Scissorhands from last season, another Mark Kirkland episode.

Blog Entries

[*] That montage with Milhouse getting hit by a car was definitely a reference to something (but I don't know what).
    The two movie references were "Midnight Cowboy" (the scene you were talking about, which also includes the famous line "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!") and "The Graduate" (Bart and Shauna in the convertible and low-key sunglasses and outfits, Bart staring at what is revealed to be Shauna's arm while playing pool; also the scene in the pool to some extent.) Both are Dustin Hoffman movies, (although in the "Midnight Cowboy" parody, Bart is portraying Jon Voight's role.) The music that plays during the parody segment is "April Come She Will" by Simon and Garfunkle, which was used in "The Graduate."

EDIT:
    EDIT: Cartoonnetwork jigged my memory. Jimbo arising from the sandpit was the funniest thing in the episode.
    Even that was a parody of "Apocalypse Now."
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 04-17-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    I am a Lost fan and I know that I shouldn't get mad at these parodies but this is just an insult to Lost. I have watched Lost, all 6 seasons. I know the characters, I know the stuff and I know the little "inside jokes" they leave us, to insult ones show with a shoddy parody is the ultimate insult of all; we have more then just weirdness and mystery you know, we have a culture, we have characters, we have a show with tons of subtext, if you can't parody that then it proves that you shouldn't be making parodies anymore!
    The Simpsons is supposed to lampoon and mock things; thats a large part of what made it great in the old days. But it's almost like you want them to mindlessly pander to the show, just because you like it. Maybe they didn't refference as many aspects of Lost fandom as they should have; thats a good point. But I don't think they should have treated it with anymore respect than they did.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

Junior Camper

When did Bart stop being a little kid?? I've been watching a lot of the old episodes of the Simpsons lately because I just introduced my sister to the show and... wow... has he changed. He used to think kissing was gross and that girls had cooties. Now he's DTF with a 17 year old. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?? I mean, his girlfriends have been getting steadily older... first there was Jenny in 5th grade, then there was Gina who was probably 14, then there was Darcy--a 16 year old, and now Shawna, who's at least 17!!! Soon these chicks are going to be twice his age! Is Bart going to lose his virginity on the show?? It's gross enough that they have him making out with all of these girls, the same kid who organized a little ragtag team of rascals to infiltrate shelbyville and steal a lemon tree, but to have him enter in a relationship with a girl after she flashed him? Are we supposed to assume that she gave him the same, uh, "treatment" whenever they locked themselves in a room together? I will admit, I thought his choke noise when he saw the breast was hilarious and his reaction to the food afterwards was funny, but am I the only person who feels as if the writers are making Bart older than a ten year old? Lately, he's been acting more like a teenager. I don't understand how he developed feelings for Shawna either, other than seeming to enjoy hooking up with her... but they don't explain why he has feelings for her or why he thinks she's too good for Jimbo. She's a ho with no self esteem, they seem pretty nicely matched to me! And this episode had such a cheap ending! So tacked on! Despite being disturbed by Bart's new exposure to sex, I found the episode entertaining up until the last like 5 minutes. What was the point of the flame war with comic book guy? How did Bart and Jimbo end up after the latter hung the former out of the treehouse? Why did Homer even have to mention the thing about his marriage with Marge, isn't their whole "we might divorce" thing getting a little old? Plus, his divorce sentiments lasted like... 3 seconds. That part was pointless. And why has Lisa had such banal parts lately... her and Bart's sibling relationship used to be the best part about the show, and now she's been practically eradicated from the scripts.
    PS. What was the point of the Midnight Cowboy reference? That seemed so random, can someone explain to me the relevance of that scene?

Blog Entries

It's looking more and more like Season 23 will be know as "The Season of Parodies."
    Seems like they've been really hung up on them the whole damn season. In particular, "The Social Network."

Brakes 4 Committees Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    The Simpsons is supposed to lampoon and mock things; thats a large part of what made it great in the old days.
    I get that, but what it did was not a lampoon or mocking; a lampoon or mocking is supposed to take the things that made the show and twist it in a way that makes fun of and deconstructs it's essential elements, what they did was take two elements (the complexity and the mystery) and decided to form their Lost parody around that; two elements... It would of been passable in 2006 but the entire series has been released and to ignore all of the elements to take the easy way out is an insult because it just shows that they don't even care to do the research anymore to come up with something that's a true lampoon, something that would of mocked and deconstructed Lost for what it is.

But it's almost like you want them to mindlessly pander to the show, just because you like it.
    I'm not intending for them to mindlessly pander to it. Just because I like Lost does not mean I want them to praise it like it was sliced bread; I'm just stating that they should do the research and not insult the intelligence of one who has watched the show. It's a shame when all a parody has to do is just skid by without a care in the world; I don't want to have my intelligence insulted, I want to laugh as they deconstruct and mock the elements that made Lost, I want to laugh at their mocking of relationships, the literary references, the supposed deepness of the show; not at the really simple and common mocking of the mysteries and mysterious things and complexity. I appreciate a good lampooning as much as the next guy if it's done good.

Maybe they didn't refference as many aspects of Lost fandom as they should have; thats a good point. But I don't think they should have treated it with anymore respect than they did.
    I'm not insisting that they do; I just want them to take the time to make something that truly lampoons something. Again, the show has a lot of stuff that's ripe for the mocking and I'm just irked they decided to take the easy way out.

Thread Information