Thread: six feet under

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

no one's questioning the hat parklife's Avatar

six feet under

anyone else dig this show?

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked this series pretty well for the first couple of seasons, but its unrelenting bleakness kind of wore me down after awhile. I said this in the B&R thread awhile back, but that carjacking episode with David was the tipping point for me into "I don't want to watch this happen anymore" territory. But I did return for the few episodes leading up the finale, though.

Possibly the best finale to a series ever, though.

oh, without a doubt, the show can just ruin your day, but sometimes it's interesting to get wrapped up in something like that. i'll admit it did get pretty heavy after season two, and the writing after that just gets so heavily criticized, but i basically loved watching the total self-destruction of nate in the middle of the series. i also loved the patience of those last few episodes of the whole thing, they really took their time and ended it right.

i would also say that rico & vanessa are just two of the worst characters on television
    Quote Originally Posted by zach
    he's not as talented as his grandmother, i can tell you that much

bump

Six Feet Under was unbelievably great. This show had my favorite series finale ever, I don't think anything can top it. IMO, it never went downhill.
    Season 24: Moonshine River: C | Treehouse of Horror XXIII: B- | Adventures in Baby-Getting: B+ | Gone Abie Gone: C+ | Penny-Wiseguys: D+ | A Tree Grows in Springfield: C- | The Day the Earth Stood Cool: B+ | To Cur With Love: B+ | Homer Goes to Prep School: C | A Test Before Trying: B- | The Changing of the Guardian: C+ | Love is a Many-Splintered Thing: C | Hardly Kirk-ing: B- | Gorgeous Grampa: B+ | Black-Eyed, Please: B- | Dark Knight Court: B- | What Animated Women Want: C | Pulpit Friction: B- | Whiskey Business: C | The Fabulous Faker Boy: C | The Saga of Carl: B- | Dangers on a Train: B+

My Season Rankings: 4, 7, 5, 6, 8, 3, 2, 9, 1, 15, 14, 16, 10, 13, 21, 20, 19, 17, 24, 23, 22, 12, 18, 11

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife

anybody else watch this yet?

Blog Entries

I've never heard of it till now, looked it up and it looks promising.
    So is it real goood? I like me some HBO dramas.
    ............................................................ ..........................

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't have anything else to add, other than that after watching this show, I will never look at James Cromwell the same way again. Everyone knows him as the "That'll do pig" guy, but now I see him as that dude who got married 6 times on Six Feet Under. I didn't remember Rainn Wilson from it, though, after seeing him in The Office. Someone had to point that out to me.

Also, Lisa was one of the most annoying character I think has ever been on TV.

The Crime-Solving Boat Knightboat's Avatar

I watched scattered episodes of Six Feet Under when it was being broadcast on NZ TV, and I loved it. I haven't seen all the episodes but I recently got the entire series on DVD as a gift so sometime soon I'm going to watch the show properly from start to finish. Really looking forward to it.
    Simpsons Tapped Out ID: Knightboat89

oh my god, @Knightboat, i'm jealous. that sounds like the best gift ever. who got it for you?

yeah, this show is boss. definitely something you need to watch from start to finish though - which never actually takes that long, because even if you watch an episode a day for the first two seasons, by the time you reach the last year, you're watching like three episodes in one sitting. or at least i am. a good friend of mine crushed the entire series in a week (off from work) and told me it was the best show he'd ever seen. however, because there's so much 'drama' in it, it can be fairly draining to watch all at once. but don't take my word for it, just give it a shot. the first episodes are almost definitely the best ones. also, a clip from 'dead putting society' is in it.

i loved rainn's character. that scene where he showed ruth his music on the computer was so awkward and lovely and beautiful.

I got them recently for Christmas from my family, including the entire series of The Sopranos and the entire Seinfeld collection on DVD. I've almost finished The Sopranos - I'm into the final episodes - so Six Feet Under is next up on the list.

EDIT: Yeah, I remember some episodes being emotionally draining but it's really worth it.

jesus christ that's a great haul. your dvd shelf must look beautiful

It really does.

bump since @cloneasaurus is watching this now

did you start watching it yet, @Knightboat?

let's all watch it together, okay?

Nah, I started watching Boardwalk Empire and I'm about to start Breaking Bad. I need to catch up before they broadcast the last lot of episodes because I haven't seen any yet.

★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ - the times cloneasaurus's Avatar

bump (for the few that care)

ever since i've started watching this show on a much more regular basis (one a day since season 3) i've enjoyed it a lot more (even more than before). i really regret watching seasons 1 and 2 at such an irregular and slow pace. i've seen season 3 get some flack but i've loved the intensity of the past few episodes (i just watched s03e12) and as you said @parklife nate's collapse so far has been great. i love how this season started with most of the family in solid relationships and as the season has gone by they have just gradually been worn down more and more. that's kinda why i regret watching 1&2 on and off because it hindered me from seeing the show in such a cohesive way.

also it's sad that this show is often overlooked when the "golden age of tv" is discussed. i mean, ok i do prefer the sopranos, for example, but it's an incredibly marginal difference and sfu certainly ranks among the other 'greats'.

Blog Entries

i've had the first season on DVD for a few months but I haven't watched yet.

Might begin tonight.
    not as good as the old batch since march 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    @Kaos I almost always break out in laughter at every post she makes!

I forgot to report back after my watch of Six Feet Under. I binge-watched the show a couple of months back when I wasn't doing any papers at uni. It really is an excellent show. I loved every minute of it and balled my eyes out during the finale.

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: parklife

i just finished this. so here's some stuff.

i feel like the whole ending montage would have been more affecting had the series ended sooner. i remember when i first started this show, i adored it. i loved all the characters and was just really interested to see what would happen to all of them. but even as early as season 2, i was beginning to feel bored with them, and i really feel the series struggled with repetition. it's not so much the bleakness that bothered me but more that we just seemed to learn the same stuff about the characters over and over again. which is also part of the reason i'm on the fence about the finale (by which i mean the montage, because everything else i was perfectly happy with). i have no problem with them giving the characters a happy ending (i read an interesting theory that nate is the 'sacrificial lamb' which i really think makes sense and i love it), but the montage almost seemed a ridiculously saccharine topper to it all. after 5 seasons of the characters constantly being shat on, whether it be self-inflicted or not, the montage almost seemed like too definite an ending, almost as if to say "these people are all going to live happy fulfilling lives from now on". of course that's not the case, we only see their deaths, but there's a general positive implication about everyones' lives.

now i feel really sadistic for feeling this way, almost as if to say these characters just aren't allowed to be happy... and to be honest i am, kinda. i think it was just really strange for me to see such a happy ending. i really wasn't expecting it, and that's probably why i had such a mixed gut reaction to it... and to be fair, i remember the season 1 finale, which i found genuinely sweet and moving. so i think i'm just being a dick (although i can't deny i did get a bit bored with the series).

random non-finale bits:
    - apparently brenda is disliked by a lot of fans. i actually thought she was great most of the time, and a really fascinating character. but i have to admit i kinda hated her in season 2, where she was friends with that prostitute and was all high and mighty about being sexually free and whatnot (although to be fair, in retrospect you can see she regrets it and was lying to herself).
    - also lisa is hated by a lot of people, i never had a problem with her? although in hindsight her death was kind of stupid, although i can't deny i found it very gripping while watching it (mainly because of nate)
    - the dream sequences often bordered on very silly at times (one memorable example being in season 5 when david dreams about keith being the eggman??), something i found both brave and bewildering. on the one hand, i admired them for just being out there and willing to reflect the characters' inner thoughts like that, on the other hand the sequences often kind of killed the mood with their attempts to "humourously" contrast with the bleakness in the rest of the show.
    - that's my dog is clearly the best episode of the show. that was emotionally affecting (although would probably not have been the best finale, granted)
    - i hate to say it but i would have to rank this below all the other acclaimed dramas: the wire, mad men, breaking bad, probably the sopranos
    Last edited by cloneasaurus; 08-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloneasaurus View Post
    random non-finale bits:
    - apparently brenda is disliked by a lot of fans. i actually thought she was great most of the time, and a really fascinating character. but i have to admit i kinda hated her in season 2, where she was friends with that prostitute and was all high and mighty about being sexually free and whatnot (although to be fair, in retrospect you can see she regrets it and was lying to herself).
    - also lisa is hated by a lot of people, i never had a problem with her? although in hindsight her death was kind of stupid, although i can't deny i found it very gripping while watching it (mainly because of nate)
    - the dream sequences often bordered on very silly at times (one memorable example being in season 5 when david dreams about keith being the eggman??), something i found both brave and bewildering. on the one hand, i admired them for just being out there and willing to reflect the characters' inner thoughts like that, on the other hand the sequences often kind of killed the mood with their attempts to "humourously" contrast with the bleakness in the rest of the show.
    - that's my dog is clearly the best episode of the show. that was emotionally affecting (although would probably not have been the best finale, granted)
    - i hate to say it but i would have to rank this below all the other acclaimed dramas: the wire, mad men, breaking bad, probably the sopranos
    i'd agree with all of this. brenda and lisa are a-ok to me. how much did you hate claire's art school friends

Quote Originally Posted by parklife View Post
    i'd agree with all of this. brenda and lisa are a-ok to me. how much did you hate claire's art school friends
    they were alright at first, and then they just kept reappearing again and again. i wasn't expecting them to play such a big role, so yeah they weren't great. to be fair though, those two episodes with claire's exhibitions (one in season 3 and one in season 4 or 5, i think?) are great episodes, so i guess the whole art school plotline isn't totally worthless. i really love the scene with nate and brenda and lisa in the pyramid

Thread Information