View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

5 23.81%
  • 4/5

4 19.05%
  • 3/5

9 42.86%
  • 2/5

3 14.29%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rate and Review South Park:" Butterballs"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun_dan View Post
    Being an American show, Americans will understand the references a lot clearer. I had a problem with The Poor Kid. I had absolutely no understanding of the Penn State jokes. Until I researched it, and when I did, I found the episode a lot funnier. Nobody's telling you to get into that stuff, it's just that these days it seems as if Trey and Matt are convinced that their viewers are up-to-date with the latest news even though most of us aren't.
    Agreed, the only reason I knew about the Penn state thing...Hell, the first thing that brought my attention to Kony 2012...was the Philip DeFranco show on Youtube. Other than that I don't keep up with American news that much.
    Such majestic movement.

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun_dan View Post
    Nobody's telling you to get into that stuff, it's just that these days it seems as if Trey and Matt are convinced that their viewers are up-to-date with the latest news even though most of us aren't.
    That's why the Simpsons was so good. Even if you didn't recognise what they were parodying, it was still funny.
    It's not as if recognizing what South Park is referencing always ensures it's funny, unfortunately.

Boat on a track Train on the Water's Avatar

Trey and Matt have been asked about their international viewers before, and they say that it's an American show for American viewers, and everyone else is just out of luck. So unfortunately, that's how it is to be someone overseas. Sometimes translators actually rewrite jokes for shows (as I believe they do with The Simpsons, such as when a pun won't literally translate), so I wouldn't have been surprised if when I was in Costa Rica they changed Britney's New Look to be about a Hispanic star experiencing a similar downfall. That wasn't the case though; instead, Latin Americans were just expected to know who Britney Spears is. South Park is too timely that everyone's better off just doing their research than trying to tweak it for different countries. And it's sad because the story in The Poor Kid is so timeless that it could have been done in season 1, but one little running gag unfortunately leaves other countries in awkward confusion.

ooooooooooooooooooh leprechaun_dan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well said, Flimpsons.

I'm a Kiwi who understands American humour and is up-to-date with American current events so I guess I'm the minority
    [SIZE=1] Check out my South Park episode ideas in my user notes (Note: It's the fifth and last note): http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=41294

"I got blisters on me fingers!" ~ Ringo Starr (Helter Skelter)

Led Zeppelin IV > Houses of the Holy > Physical Graffiti > Led Zeppelin II > Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin III > Presence > In Through the Out Door > Coda

Thread Information