View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Optimum Episode Performance

14 11.97%
  • 4/5 I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords.

33 28.21%
  • 3/5 Robot Workers: 100% Average

25 21.37%
  • 2/5 Eh, just go watch LETS…

29 24.79%
  • 1/5 Looks like it’s the scrap-heap for this one.

16 13.68%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: “Them, Robot” (PABF10)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: “Them, Robot” (PABF10)

March 18, 2012: Mr. Burns replaces all the plant workers with robots, except for Homer. Springfield’s unemployment rate skyrockets. Things go from bad to worse when the robots inevitably rebel. Discuss!

That was pretty bad. Though I enjoyed some lines the robots said.

Decent. Enough said. 3/5, C-.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only time I laughed was at the hobo taking the water of Lenny's squeege to give to his dog, otherwise a pile of robo-shit with a few cool sight gags, Homer having part of his head cut off not one of them. Also, I was hoping Homer's head would explode when he kept trying to talk-jerkass with robot number E-whatever.

Brent Spiner was good, though.

1.5/5 rounded up to "2."

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This wasn't that good. An extremely large number of the jokes went on much too long (The best example of this was the cringeworthy "Working hard or hardly working" exchange), and Homer was quite simply a real jerk throughout much of the episode. I did like the robots' personalities, however, and there were a couple good jokes in the episode. But the ratio of good jokes to bad ones was pretty bad, and I didn't like Homer in this, so it gets a 2/5 from me.

4,000TH POST!!

5/10 on the first viewing

"went to pick up cigarettes" Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

No initial thoughts this week, except for my curiosity as to what roll Bret Spiner will play in this episode. Kind of obvious he'll voice one of the robots.

Couch gag was funny. Seemed like an alternative for the 500th episode... but it didn't go on forever, and delivered a few good jabs at the USofA.

ACT ONE:
    The Monty Burns Afternoon Announcement Orchestra

Homer's earth shattering "D'oh," and its effects
    "Old Grand-Pa" (Second time this season Homer sees the family as beverages, FYI)

Homer shotguns his anti-depressants

(The diners seemed way too happy with Homer's mouth cherries!)

Mr. Burns' "trap door" app, and other various apps
    (For those unfamiliar with "Captain Billy's Whiz Bang" = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain...%27s_Whiz_Bang)

I love the designs of the robots
    (So far so good!)

ACT TWO:
    Hmmm... I wonder who that "one meatsack" will be?
    The robot that zaps Homer while he's yelling. Which one of us hasn't wanted to do that?

Lenny owns the world's smallest violin!
    Moe finally turns on himself

Looks like Homer went through a few robots trying to activate the Human Interaction Mode. Thank God we didn't have to see a whole montage of that.

Ah... it's Data!
    (Nice. Everything's moving along nicely, and points and jokes are being made with little exposition. So far, really good. I'm entertained and involved... and that's all I ask for.)

ACT THREE:
    Marge's recollection of Mr. Burns' arrival.
    "Three Card Full Monty" = worst joke of the episode.

First the painful robotic death, then the mass deaths. I'm laughing my ass off!

I could have done without the robot slicing part of Homer's head off... but the bubble gum fix made me laugh.

(This seemed long for a third act.... Does that mean we are going to get a shorter fourth act? Why haven't they been doing this all along!?!?!? It works!)

ACT FOUR:
    Homer: "Robots! Trying to kill me! And now they'll kill you 'cause I led them here!"
    ...and the townsfolk come to the rescue, and all is well.

Very nice! 4.5/5. Rounding up to 5/5 for the poll because I really enjoyed it.
    This episode did everything I want a new episode of The Simpsons to do for me:
    -I laughed
    -I was entertained

These days, that's all I ask. This one delivered.
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 03-18-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Now... with pictures!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Wow, that was... uncomfortable. Stands in between Politically Inept and D'ohcial Network as worst of the series. A few more of this quality and season 23 will top season 18 as the worst season. F
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

Eh, I'm not sure what to think about this one but it was average at best. The first two acts were actually pretty bad but once Homer got the robots to leave the plant things picked up. I am in complete agreement with them on the DH which was my favorite line of the episode. The robots saving Homer from the cars was pretty funny at first but went on too long like the working hard bit. I enjoyed seeing Moe's ugly origins even if it contradicts other episodes, but the world's smallest violin was better on Spongebob a decade ago. Let's see...Homer trying to outrun the robots made for a couple easy and predictable but still funny jokes and I enjoyed the end at Burns' mansion. Again though, not really that good and a step down from the previous 3 or so episodes. 2.5/5, rounded down to a 2 for the poll.

PS: The couch gag was pretty good.

PPS: Marge sounded really bad during the scene with Homer promising to do things with everyone, actually hurt my ears...

My first word after seeing the episode : Very strange and not so good.

I will do my review this week or in two weeks because I didn't done the one of How I wet your mother yet.
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Blog Entries

I would just like to say that Homer's interactions with the robots in the third act dragged a bit for me. If it hadn't been for that, this episode would have received a full 5/5 from me. Also, judging by the early returns here, I'm going to be one of the only ones who liked this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    PS: The couch gag was pretty good.
    Yeah, it was! I liked Maggie ending up with a Chinese flag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irvine_11 View Post
    Wow, that was... uncomfortable. Stands in between Politically Inept and D'ohcial Network as worst of the series. A few more of this quality and season 23 will top season 18 as the worst season. F
    I think it already did 14 episodes ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Blog Entries

Dear lord that was crap. The ending had no development to it (everyone shows up and easily dispose of the robots, what?!) and the 'jokes' were awful. Homer was annoying and the robots weren't very interesting. In fact, the entire story was rushed and it just felt like a strange episode overall. I wasn't a fan of Homer using gum to glue back a piece of his skin. This 'cartoon-ish' effect the Simpsons developed over the years has gone too far. This isn't the creative and witty Simpsons of old and this type of episode wouldn't even be acceptable as a THoH segment.

Poor poor stuff. 1/5.

3/5

Another mediocre episode. Brent Spines was great as the voice of the robots although the robots were boring to watch. I especially did not like the scene where one of them slice off a chunk of Homer's head. Homer trying to communicate with the robots was well executed. The scenes of the town having no business were dull. Smithers as a teacher, I don't know why that was needed. The best scenes was Homer at the restaurant and his attempts to avoid alcohol (especially spitting the cherries on the ice cream) and the hounds scared of the robots.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It was pretty bad, the first act had me laughing but that was it after that, it was weird and boring and why is Bart so banal in these new 'Ghost Simpsons' episodes.

It's an 2.2 rounded down to a..

2/5 total.

I enjoyed the more subtle jokes..... like "Death in Venice" book. Smithers

Junior Camper

Yikes. Not a fan of this episode. Like some others have said, the first act as the highlight, and then it went downhill. Overall it had some okay jokes, but I thought it was just weird and too over the top. The Homer head clipping scene was the straw that broke my 3 rating down to a 2. 2 out of 5.

Junior Camper

Side note, can one of you people "in the know" let me know how many more episodes there are this season, and when the next new episode airs? Thanks.

Pin Pal MagicalManFromHappyLand's Avatar

My biggest complaint was that it was really stupid, a lot of stupid jokes that didn't make sense or went on too long. This was probably in my bottom 10 ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bradbradford View Post
    Side note, can one of you people "in the know" let me know how many more episodes there are this season, and when the next new episode airs? Thanks.
    There's 21 in this sesason, that was the 17th.

Junior Camper

^Thanks. That's too bad, didn't realize we were already in the final stretch of the season.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The next one airs on April 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by bradbradford View Post
    ^Thanks. That's too bad, didn't realize we were already in the final stretch of the season.
    The season passed very fast :O

There was nothing really bad with this episode (it could have been much worse), but there was nothing really funny either.

2/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalManFromHappyLand View Post
    There's 21 in this season, that was the 17th.
    We actually have 5 episodes left this season making it 22 episodes, 2 Bart heavy ones, The Spy episode, Lisa and Gaga, and Ned and Edna. At least according to the Season 23 Information thread.

It was a fun episode, but that last act was stupid as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    it sucked fucking shit bananas.

Blog Entries

How the hell were the robots able to chase Homer, when they can only follow the yellow lines?!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    How the hell were the robots able to chase Homer, when they can only follow the yellow lines?!
    They followed the yellow one running down his back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    Good question. Seems that goes right out the window as soon as they're at the baseball park, 'cause they move freely from that scene on.

Continuity is definitely not one of season 23's strong points, even inside a single episode.

EDIT: While I'm posting-
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I enjoyed seeing Moe's ugly origins even if it contradicts other episodes
    Cute, yeah... but ever since Moe became the child of a Yeti in Moe Goes from Rags to Riches, I've pretty much stopped caring about anything they have to say about his back story.
    It's kind of like how Ken Keeler, Bill Oakley, and Josh Weinstein wrecked Skinner for everybody in The Principal and the Pauper.

"What has been seen cannot be unseen."
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 03-18-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Average, some jokes went on for too long. It was pretty funny for the first part though. Probably 3.5/5, but I'd round down to 3 because the ending act in my opinion was kind of stupid.
    Inactive. Find me on twitter instead.
    @charcandids

heeeals! you guys are brutal! zach's Avatar

2/5 (although i wouldn't just go watch LETS)

Thread Information