Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233

Thread: 60 Second Simpsons - Three Men and a Comic Book

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

maybe a little bit rustic CousinMerl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Happy Halloween! @euthanasiataeaf was on the right track that I had a THOH Showdown ready, but I swapped out THOHII and did THOHIII vs THOHIV. Enjoy!

Good job done with this showdown video. I think that III vs. IV was probably the best and most interesting match-up you could have gone for as I think that the two are more or less even, more so than it would have been with I vs. IV or II vs. IV.

As for III and IV I think both are a lot of fun and has a lot of good stuff; IV has the better creep factor and III has the better humor (and the 'Dial Z For Zombies' segment which is my favorite of the six; interestingly it's your least favorite) but the thing with III is that 'Clown Without Pity' and 'King Homer' isn't as strong as 'Zombies' and it's barely any creepy & IV is a little more uneven and the ending is a confused mess where they just throw everything at you. I think I'd have to pick III because it has the overall stronger jokes and that great last segment.

(And I agree that the next Treehouse showdown should be I vs. II).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 11-03-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Blog Entries

So, after the news about John Lasseter, are you still going to continue with your Pixar project?
    ah (as in apple)-tuh-eef

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by It's an ataeaf Christmas! View Post
    So, after the news about John Lasseter, are you still going to continue with your Pixar project?
    I think I will, but oh boy does it make the timing of this video's release awkward today.

So, uh, this is a review of Up. It's made by a studio helmed by an asshole who gropes people. So, yeah. Here is the video. Whohoo.

*sigh*

I hope the bad news won't get you down too much, @Jims.

Blog Entries

It isn't really, I am just really disappointed in Lasseter and Pixar's management in general. I can't imagine how uncomfortable and disturbing it was for employees to have to work there, having a boss that gets that hands-y and inappropriate with people. And then I've been hearing the reports of Rashida Jones clarifying that she left Toy Story 4 because she felt women and people of color's voices weren't being respected, as well... It's making me think about Brenda Chapman and how Brave went down. Pixar's films give so many messages of family and togetherness and inclusion and stuff ("Anyone can cook!"), it's disappointing to hear about the problems that pervade that studio.

The other part of it was that I had been producing the review for so many hours and days now that I didn't want the timing to be in bad taste. Someone in the comments said they appreciated the aside about talking about trying to not talk about Pixar like they're one person. I guess there's that.

I kind of want to review Homer Badman next. I had been avoiding it a little because, as a man, I have never felt particularly qualified to speak about the episode... But it is becoming more and more relevant these days.

I'd love to see you do a review of Homer Badman (which is one of my favorite episodes) and hear your thought and opinions on it. I'm sure you'd do it justice even if you're unsure about it now, @Jims.

And yeah, I see what you mean with what you're saying about Pixar. They have had problems before and this is essentially the top of the iceberg (and seeing Pixar as not just one person makes good sense; it's kinda like how I feel about this).

Could be punished Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just got around to watching your THOH showdown. Great work as always. I think I agree with your decision, but its mostly because The Devil and Homer Simpson is soooo good. I think its my third-favorite segment of the show. Terror at 5 1/2 Feet is decent, although Id consider it the weakest of the six, and Bart Simpsons Dracula is good, but they cant come close to Devil.

In III, I think I like Clown Without Pity more than most do. Its funny, and I do find it somewhat chilling, and I love the stupid ending. King Homer has grown on me over the years. Ive never seen King Kong, but its funny enough for me to like without knowing the reference. The Godzilla parody 23 years later didnt achieve that at all. Dial Z for Zombies is kind of in a tough spot as to when it aired, because zombies werent yet a mainstream thing, but violence on television was also subject to tighter restrictions. So if it had aired later, they may have been able to get away with more blood, but it might have seemed played out because zombies would have been everywhere then. Its still a pretty good segment, though.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Great video on Up, I never noticed how many pieces are set in place in those first 20 minutes.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

New video!
    New series!

...Finally.

After getting a lot of good feedback and interest from people about the Herman episode, I wanted to do a character spotlight series focusing on the secondary characters. I was thinking about either 1) characters that had undergone some kind of arc or change, or 2) obscure characters like Herman who fell out of focus for whatever reason. And because I am bad at names, I'm calling it Simpsons Histories.

Enjoy!

I wanted to start the series talking about Nelson because he's always been one of my favorite secondary characters. And also I just felt like he was a nice basic example of the techniques the writers use to change-up his joke deliveries and then give him depth. Also because I know how much @Financial Panther loves the character.

Very good video (and good choice for a new series).

I think they have handled Nelson quite well even into the post-classic seasons (including the HD years) even though he has changed quite a bit; I like how they expanded the humor of the character and gave him all these interests and secrets that he keeps (or occasionally doesn't keep) from the other characters.

A lot of folks really doesn't like that that they've softened him up by making him more emotional, insecure and such over time, but honestly, I like it because it added a lot of depth and also likeability to the character (not to mention made him more fun and interesting, at least in my opinion); otherwise he would probably still have been just the archetypical 'the bully' and not much more beyond that.

I think the crew decided they could expand and develop him like this since Jimbo, Kearney & Dolph had started to fill the more one-note school bully role really well, even though he still appears with them from time to time and hasn't lost his bullying streak (which is important to the character) even though he's softer and more likeable now.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 12-10-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Finished a new set for 60 Second Simpsons. This time, tackling Mr. Plow, a classic I hadn't hit before.

I wanted to get them worked on quicker and posted on here, but these two videos have been nothing but trouble. Since posting the 60 Second Simpsons video, I proceeded to get a stuffy nose, my computer started having problems, and then Fox took down the first video. Which is weird for a 60 Second Simpsons video. Still not sure if I've gotten the computer issue fixed (I doubt it), but I braved through the Extra Seconds anyway, stuffy nose and computer glitches and all. I think this was all a hint to encourage me to enjoy Christmas with the family and not work on this video series.

I'm playing around with the YouTube tag systems (getting rid of "the simpsons" and "episode" as terms) which will hopefully let them go under the radar more. Struggled a little bit with the Mr. Plow review, because those really popular standards are hard to critique. I find it hard to explain precisely why it's great without feeling like I'm dissecting and killing the thing. I dunno, perhaps I am being neurotic. I hope you all enjoy them!

Will probably do another Extra Seconds and then Pixar #5. Then gotta start working on another Simpsons Histories entry.

Blog Entries

Going to go crawl into a hole this weekend a write a Pixar review. I always put off the writing part of film reviews because I get super nervous about them and put a lot of pressure on myself to get the themes right and read them correctly. Always have the most trouble writing the first page of the review. I need to just force myself to do it.

Oh, so that's why you started using the "I'm Bartman" avatar (and it's the same screenshot as the video still), @Jims.

Anyway, this is probably one of my favorite S2 episodes. One of the most simple premises but it manages to do it really well and has a lot of that great early Simpsons humor (I never actually thought about how it partially feels like a S3 episode but now that you brought it up I can see why).

About the Bartman thing, while the term 'Bartman' existed previously I interpret it the way that the Bartman in this episode is the superhero alter-ego Bart created based on his previous alter-ego/nickname (which the song was about) and it stuck much better; think of it as a replacement.

(And when are some folks gonna learn that it's so easy to skip the spinning heads on the DVD by pressing the 'root menu' button?)
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-12-2018 at 03:34 AM.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Great reviews! Three Men and a Comic Book has long been a favorite of mine, because I was (and still am) collecting comics when the episode came out. So I really could relate to wanting that unattainable #1 issue.

Its funny, because thanks to this episode, I really wanted the actual Radioactive Man #1 when Bongo published it. Interestingly, Bongo actually explained why the Bongo version and the issue in Three Men and a Comic Book are different looking in the letters column. I can't recall the exact reason, I'd have to look it up, but I think it was something like the one from the episode was not a first printing and it was some later reprint of the first issue and CBG was being his usual self and taking advantage of the situation.

Thread Information