Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 60 Second Simpsons (Ep43 - Kill the Alligator and Run)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

Hey, @Jims, these videos are all pretty fantastic. Just watched about all of them, and was very entertained and felt you really got into what makes these episodes work (or what doesn't). Great job man.

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks @MindQuad. And thanks @D'ohmer too, even though you're wrong about Co-Dependents Day being tolerable.

That's my last episode of the year... Some of my subscribers and commenters have been requesting longer videos, so I'm coming up with a couple new ideas to do. They're still going to be Simpsons related (although I'm working on more off-topic stuff too), but probably not just 60 Second Simpsons format. It'll probably take me awhile to figure out how to put together the first new thing, and hopefully I'll have a system together where they can be done quicker.

i am too on the same verge of appreciation as your write deserves it ..

Blog Entries

cool
    SEASON 25: Homerland:1/5, THOH XXIV:5/5, Four Regrettings and a Funeral:3.5/5, Yolo:3.5/5, Labor Pains: 4/5, The Kid is All Right: 1/5, Yellow Subterfuge: 2.5/5, White Christmas Blues:2/5, Steal This Episode:5/5, Married to the Blob:4/5, Specs and the City:3/5, Diggs:3/5 , The Man Who Grew Too Much:1/5 , The Winter of his Content:2/5 , The War of Art:3/5 ,
    You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee:2/5,

Not a big fan of 'Miracle On Evergreen Terrace' mainly because it's so mean-spirited to the point of being off-putting.

Friends with Rock Strongo Lance.Uppercut's Avatar
    Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

@Jims, your deadpan giveaway of "another character who's so worn down by the Simpsons that she has to kill herself" in your Simpsoncali... retrospective made me laugh out loud. Who would have thought, indeed, that there would be two episodes in the same season in which a one-shot character's only escape from those insufferable Simpsons was accidental suicide? What a dreadfully dark interpretation of Simpsoncali..., but interesting to consider just the same. Thanks again for the great entertainment, and Happy New Year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    @Jims, your deadpan giveaway of "another character who's so worn down by the Simpsons that she has to kill herself" in your Simpsoncali... retrospective made me laugh out loud. Who would have thought, indeed, that there would be two episodes in the same season in which a one-shot character's only escape from those insufferable Simpsons was accidental suicide? What a dreadfully dark interpretation of Simpsoncali..., but interesting to consider just the same. Thanks again for the great entertainment, and Happy New Year.
    I wish I could find a way to bottle that deadpan delivery and somehow profit off of it.

I admit that I probably refer to Homer's Enemy way too often in analyzing The Simpsons, seeing elements of it in tons of different episodes. That episode does express something that is a fairly common theme in a lot of episodes. But I dunno... When re-watching the Shary Bobbins episode and then doing a write-up, I noticed that both episodes do follow similar character arcs and themes. Especially in the third act, where the family basically sings a song about how they're happy the way they are and that they're not going to change. Whereas Homer's Enemy is very negative and cynical, they manage to spin this same message into something more cheerful. Maybe it's just the music that does it.

Friends with Rock Strongo Lance.Uppercut's Avatar
    Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

The comment on your delivery was meant as a compliment. Indeed, I find your videos very entertaining. I apologize if my post came off otherwise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    The comment on your delivery was meant as a compliment. Indeed, I find your videos very entertaining. I apologize if my post came off otherwise.
    No worries... I wasn't trying to be snippy in my post or anything. It was more an observation I've noticed over the years that I get unexpected laughs sometimes with the way I say certain things, and I wish I could figure out that magic formula to somehow profit off of it like Ben Stein used to.

I have found that saying overly wacky and overly dirty things usually does the trick, but it seems cheap to me.

no doubt the videos are entertaining and i am loving the show .. and why not, as there is Simpson around for the same

Blog Entries

I apologize for kind of leaving this thread for dead over the past month. I was working on a new idea for another, longer series to put together and it took me much longer to do than I thought. The new series is uncreatively-titled Simpsons Mysteries, in which I will do an analysis of the various unanswered questions in the series, whether they be series' mythos stuff or just simply plot holes in particular episodes. I'm still going to do a bunch of 60 Second Simpsons episodes in between, I'll just mix these videos in with the other stuff.

For the first installment of the series, I decided to tackle the most stupidly contradictory question in the series. What state is Springfield in?

Let me know if you have any idea for future episodes, ideas to improve it, etc. I'm still working on some of the post-production stuff like music balance, fading, etc. but hopefully I'll get that worked out in future attempts. This is probably the most open-ended of the mystery ideas I had, mostly due to the content in question, but I could always use suggestions.

I always think of it being in Massachusetts due to Quimby's accent, the more frequent use of the ocean and being able to drive to NYC. Plus Mike Scully is from there.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Well... fuck.

That's good internet right there.

Anger and Coffee NoDeerForAMonth's Avatar

I liked it, great job!

That was great!

Didn't take itself too seriously and you had a bunch of fun with the concept. I actually thought it was too short if you can believe it.

Looking forward to more

Blog Entries

Thanks, you guys! The video took a ton of research and screenshotting (as you can imagine), so I'm just relieved that it's finally done at this point. Spent the rest of yesterday lying around playing Street Fighter II Turbo for SNES. I love "posting the video" day so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    That was great!

Didn't take itself too seriously and you had a bunch of fun with the concept. I actually thought it was too short if you can believe it.

Looking forward to more
    I'm really glad you thought the tone of the review was just right... That was the part I struggled with the most during the process. After reading my first draft of the script, it came off as being too serious and too lecture-ly. And for a pop culture topic like The Simpsons, I didn't want it to get too heavy. So I added a bunch of snark and had fun with the uncertainty that is inherent in the topic.

But then, during post-production, I had a real nightmare picking out theme music. Because the concept of "Simpsons mysteries" meant I needed to do music that implied mystery and intrigue. So when I finally settled on theme music, I realized that it might swing the thing back too far into the Serious Business end of the spectrum. I deliberately wrote the ending section of the script to play up the supposed seriousness of my conclusions (and to give me an excuse to use that amazing "Reverse Rain" remix) so I wasn't sure how it would all come together in the end. I think the funk music at the very, very end helped balance it out quite a bit.

I already know what I want to do for the second Simpsons Mysteries special, but will probably do a 60 Second Simpsons in between.

No longer creepy Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just because Grampa doesn't recognize Missouri doesn't mean they can't be from there. He's a bitter, cantankerous old man who doesn't like anything.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted The Telltale Head 2: Bart Gets an F The War of the Simpsons 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious Lisa's Date with Density 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Just because Grampa doesn't recognize Missouri doesn't mean they can't be from there. He's a bitter, cantankerous old man who doesn't like anything.
    But in "Lisa Gets an A," Superintendent Chalmers says that Springfield Elementary was voted the worst school in Missouri...which is why they moved it to Springfield.
    Season 25 ratings: Homerland: 8/10, Treehouse of Horror XXIV: 8/10, Four Regrettings and a Funeral: 5.5/10, YOLO: 7/10, Labor Pains: 7/10, The Kid is All Right: 5/10, Yellow Subterfuge: 9/10, White Christmas Blues: 5.5/10, Steal This Episode: 10/10, Married to the Blob: 7.5/10, Specs and the City: 7/10, Diggs: 7.5/10, The Man Who Grew Too Much: 8.5/10, The Winter of His Content: 7/10, The War of Art: 10/10, You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee: 6/10, Luca$: 5/10, Days of Future Future: 7.5/10, Season average: 7.28/10

Modern Simpsons episode reviews.
    Latest Season 21 reviews: Postcards from the Wedge: 6/10, Stealing First Base: 4.5/10, The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed: 1/10, American History X-cellent: 6.5/10, Chief of Hearts: 7/10, The Squirt and the Whale: 7/10, Tik Tok Intro (yuck): 2/10, To Surveil With Love: 9/10, Moe Letter Blues: 7/10, The Bob Next Door: 10/10, Judge Me Tender: 5/10, Season 21 average: 6.70/10
    Season reviews: Season 19, Season 20

Blog Entries

Ah. I forgot about that. Good point.

Blog Entries

I feel like that one is like the "Shreveport, LA" example where it's a bit arguable, but I feel like the line doesn't make much sense if Springfield were actually in that state. The cadence of the joke implies bigotry toward another state, not one's own. It's possible for him to be talking about his own, I suppose.

I admit, I used that one instead of the one that @pkkao pointed out because I thought it was a good capper to the whole analysis.

Blog Entries

New episode up. Hooray! Thanks to @Ryan for suggesting a new video program for screencapping, which cut that time commitment down by over 50%.

I kind of go back and forth between liking and disliking Lisa the Skeptic, but have now settled on liking the episode as a writing experiment. In general, the episode is really easy to dislike in a lot of ways... Neither side of the debate ends up coming off particularly well and there's a lot of negativity overall. But at the same time, it's a smartly written episode that does look at the whole picture. The reality is that analyzing this issue in the real world is going to be somewhat unpleasant, so it makes doing an episode like Lisa the Skeptic a puzzle.

It's that balancing act that the writers do that makes it so interesting to me. You can kind of watch the episode and observe how they nudge the story very carefully in one way and then the other. They can't let the angel be explained by supernatural powers (because The Simpsons is not that kind of show), but they can't send the message that the church-going folks are just stupid gullible fools. The solution they do come up with is quite clever, especially since they took the time to foreshadow it, and it does jive up with many of the themes established already. It's a cop-out, sure, but I honestly can't think of a different way they could do this episode.

Professional Burger Stealer Krusty Burglar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good episode, @Jims. Looking forward to more.

Blog Entries

One more thing about the state Springfield is in: You said it couldn't be in Ohio, Nevada, Maine, or Kentucky because they border Springfield. But he says they border SPRINGFIELD, not the state Springfield is in. A state technically borders a city.

Blog Entries

One more thing about the state Springfield is in: You said it couldn't be in Ohio, Nevada, Maine, or Kentucky because they border Springfield. But he says they border SPRINGFIELD, not the state Springfield is in. A state technically borders a city.
    No it doesn't. No one would ever say that Chicago borders Illinois. It's in Illinois. Chicago borders Indiana.

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dobbie, Ryan

Blog Entries

But the areas outside of Chicago, which are also in Illinois, border it. So some of Illinois does technically border Chicago.

Oh my god, Panther. Who do you know refers to stuff like that?

Nobody.

Except you.

Did you write The Simpsons Movie?

Blog Entries

Daily Views

Another Valentines Day down, another random 1000+ views for my "I Love Lisa" review. I guess people are just looking for the episode itself, and don't realize it's just gonna be a review. It's always weird when it happens, though.

Whoaaa... no way...
    I'm always watching this series. I had no idea you were behind it @Jims !

My mind is doing flips right now, I've watched these literally since before I joined the NHC.

They're great man, well done.

Edit: Just been through the entire thread and watched them all again. Seriously fantastic work. You even got me to put in my DVDs and watch "Homers Triple Bypass" and "Bart the Lover" again because I hadn't seen them in so long and your reviews were so solid.
    Last edited by Elliot73; 02-21-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Elliot is good, his interview was great, but his favorite bands list is crazy.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot73 View Post
    Whoaaa... no way...
    I'm always watching this series. I had no idea you were behind it @Jims !

My mind is doing flips right now, I've watched these literally since before I joined the NHC.

They're great man, well done.

Edit: Just been through the entire thread and watched them all again. Seriously fantastic work. You even got me to put in my DVDs and watch "Homers Triple Bypass" and "Bart the Lover" again because I hadn't seen them in so long and your reviews were so solid.
    Wow, that's so crazy. I just figured everyone who posts here knows. But then again, I don't really like to advertise the videos very much, which is why they just kind of stay tucked away in here, so I can see how it would happen.

I'm glad you like them! The next video (probably out in about a week) is going to be a special, looking at the inner workings of "Bart Sells His Soul."

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Wow, that's so crazy. I just figured everyone who posts here knows. But then again, I don't really like to advertise the videos very much, which is why they just kind of stay tucked away in here, so I can see how it would happen.

I'm glad you like them! The next video (probably out in about a week) is going to be a special, looking at the inner workings of "Bart Sells His Soul."
    Yeah, I use the Master Forum mainly so I never really see the stickied threads that don't show up on the Master Forum unless I go out of my way to visit them so I've never seen this thread before.
    It's still confounding me that you actually make this series. I've sent them to friends and everything before.

And sweet, I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this thread for new episodes. Bart sells his Soul sounds great.

the pope stinks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

kiss-ass
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark Jones View Post
    A lot of shows I watch have influenced my opinions of guns

Thread Information