View Poll Results: How would you Rate "At Long Last Leave"? (PABF07)

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Don't forget--You're Here Forever!

33 23.91%
  • 4/5: We can't Leave, Bart's Lawyer is Here.

34 24.64%
  • 3/5: Meh, we all gotta go Sometime.

30 21.74%
  • 2/5: No phone, No Internet, No TV make Homer go something, something...

28 20.29%
  • 1/5: The Episode Title says it all.

13 9.42%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: 500th Episode "At Long Last Leave" (PABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Sorry, I forgot my review: 2/5 because I loved the beginning and the couch gag. Apart of that, I would give it a poorer rating...

Glowing strong for 50 years Holiday Cheervine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, this episode certainly beats the hell out of milestones 200-400 and I know I am going to get a lot of shit for that. I actually felt myself getting sucked into the story and I couldn't help but feel a bit of empathy for the family and a majority of the jokes were actually funny (and this is me not being blinded by a meaningless milestone.) I also liked the dig at us at the end. I only have two complaints about this episode: the ending felt horribly rushed and Bart helping Skinner. What the hell was that? Overall, I loved this episode and now consider it the second-best of the season. 5/5 (A-)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 25 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps - C- The Wreck of the Relationship - D+ Super Franchise Me - D Treehouse of Horror XXV - C+ Opposites A-Frack - B Simpsorama - C- Blazed and Confused - C Covercraft - C- I Won't Be Home for Christmas - B-

number one burpo fan Hommer for the Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great! Rapid-fire gags and a wonderful plot. Awesome way to celebrate the 500th episode. I give it an A+.

Junior Camper

I really liked it, 4.5 which I will vote a 5. My only complaints came from the four act set up and the ending seeming weirdly rushed.

And I am completely baffled no ones mentioned the "jerk off spray " joke yet, I thought you guys would be furious over that....still early I guess.

Ringo Next HANDSOME.S4.E6.XMAS.GUYS.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't think this episode was that bad. I mean, of all the season 23 episodes to get 2/5 or less, this one (excluding Book Job and Holidays) would be the one I would expect not to be low.
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
    Oreo: creme or cookie
    My friend is a big creme supporter and beat me up because i like the cookie better.

Twitter

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bradbradford View Post
    The title carsd at the end said, " thanks for 500 episodes, now all that we ask is you go outside and get some exercise before logging on the internet to say how much this sucked"

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

(sorry, this turned into a bit of a rant about the show)

Quote Originally Posted by bradbradford View Post
    The title carsd at the end said, " thanks for 500 episodes, now all that we ask is you go outside and get some exercise before logging on the internet to say how much this sucked"
    I know they're making fun of us, but this title card brings up a much bigger question:

So they realize that their target fan base is going to complain about the show. So why aren't they doing something about it?

In pro sports, if a team isn't doing well and the fans are unhappy, they do everything they can to bring the fans back (well, the smart ones do anyway). They appoint new management, they bring in new players, they try new things.

Instead, their solution is to do the exact same thing you've been doing since the decline began, with a showrunner who's been around for 10 years and a writing staff where many have been around just as long.

Contrary to what the writers say, there are more signs that the show is declining than just Internet fans complaining. The ratings are worse than ever. They are winning less awards than ever (I know awards don't mean much, but Al Jean likes to use their awards success as proof that the show is as good as ever). And they are getting less mainstream media coverage. A decade ago, this triumph would have been front page news all over the place, but it seems like a lot of sources haven't bothered with it.

But to the writers, the show is better than ever! It's just a bunch of nerds complaining about it, nothing to worry about!
    Last edited by McClure; 02-19-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    On a positive note, I laughed a lot at the message at the end. I love when they call out to us.
    You love when they make fun of us because we call an episode poorly made and have an opinion on the current state of a long-past expiration date kind of show? Rightfully so, most of the time, I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by irvine_11 View Post
    I only have two complaints about this episode: the ending felt horribly rushed and Bart helping Skinner. What the hell was that? Overall, I loved this episode and now consider it the second-best of the season. 5/5 (A-)
    Hope I don't come off as antagonistic by asking this, but how can you give a perfect score when you complain that the ending was flawed? I don't know, I guess I just see 5/5 as meaning "flawless".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McClure View Post
    I know they're making fun of us, but this title card brings up a much bigger question:

So they realize that their target fan base is going to complain about the show. So why aren't they doing something about it?
    Yeah, like canceling the goddamned thing.

A lot of funny jokes within the episode, but way to many awkward misses. The Wikileaks run was weird, and a lot of the latter half of the episode seemed completely pointless. The couch gag was wonderfully nostalgic, but overall not an episode I would want to rewatch.
    I give it a 2/5, but it is my third or fourth favorite episode of the season on account of good humor.
    You are hearing me talk.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irvine_11 View Post
    Well, this episode certainly beats the hell out of milestones 200-400 and I know I am going to get a lot of shit for that.

I actually started thinking about this and not that it matters really, but I tend to agree with you there I mean it was far better than You Kent Always Say and I didn't enjoy Barting Over as much as I used to on my most recent rewatch. Trash of the Titans has a rather infamous reputation as well so this probably is the best of those episodes.

...from Ullman to the grave! Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lagozzino View Post
    First half of the episode was solid fun stuff, but once they hit the outlands, it went into distincly "meh" territory.
    Aside from the cameo from the Wikileaks guys, there's nothing that I'd say is particularly bad... but the second half just felt phoned in.
    All in all, it earned a middle of the road 5/10 (or 3/5 for the sake of the poll)
    Funny you should say that... Julian Assange's appearance was phoned in. Literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Blog Entries

When Homer hooked up that jet thing to the ATV, it reminded me of this urban legend.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Junior Camper

i kinda wish after homer and marge got caught and left, the ppl of springfield would have had a talk about missing the simpsons despite what they've done, and gone to welcome them back in and had an ending similar to the end of barts comet. ( could've added room for some meta-jokes and a more heartfelt conclusion)

Blog Entries

Were we all watching the same show? The poll results are even from 5/5 to 2/5 at 16 votes. Weird.
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 02-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    When Homer hooked up that jet thing to the ATV, it reminded me of this urban legend.
    Ah, Snopes. The Nightmare Center when I was younger.

A good episode that is above my expectations. So I can say I'm satisfied with this episode even if it does not reach perfection for some reasons that I will mention here. For starters, a great couch gag worthy of the 500th episode that reminds us a lot of memories. Subsequently, the episode begins quite well even if I do not understand why Abe is not with the Simpsons when they are expelled from the city since he was with them at first. A good point in the episode: There are lots of gags and several that made ​​me laugh (Homer says he does not want to watch fox (fox the animal) Burns and Teeny and a lots of other)). So this will add points to my final note. My favorite scene in the episode would be the one where Homer and Marge returns to Springfield at night disguised as Burns and Smithers. reminds me of the seasons of the golden age because in these scenes we saw many forgotten place like the bollowrama and the lard lad. I really think this episode could have lasted 1h long, I would have liked to see much of this story. Family guy have a 1 hour episode at least once a year so why not for the Simpsons ? It's the 500th episode ! Finally, a very good episode but I prefer to see it again before giving a rating but I already know that this will be a minimum 3,75 or 4/5.

I will tell you my note tomorrow night !
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Junior Camper

Obviously the couch gag showed a montage of couch gags but can anyone explain the pattern they were doing? It clearly wasn't every episode, was it just a random montage? One from each season? Can someone help me out?

I think that we saw all the couch gag ! Because in some episode, it's the same couch gag that in another episode !

Eh. Better than it has been, but still not great. This episode really, really should have been at least 40 minutes, if not an hour. It felt self-indulgent, but I have no problem with that on this particular episode. I also liked seeing the "unfunny aftermath" of their stunts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandreLeblanc View Post
    I think that we saw all the couch gag ! Because in some episode, it's the same couch gag that in another episode !
    Nah, it's not all of them. Couldn't have been.

number one burpo fan Hommer for the Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Ah, Snopes. The Nightmare Center when I was younger.
    Gave me some choice scares back in the day.

Are you sure ? Maybe you're right because it was not to long...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    Were we all watching the same show? The poll results are even from 5/5 to 2/5 at 16 votes. Weird.
    Yeah, but I suspect the nostalgia comfort zone of the first few minutes lingered for some, for it me it didn't, though.

5/5

I needed some time to think this one over before rating and reviewing this episode so I went to a fast food restaurant after watching this episode.

This turned out to be an excellent episode and a great choice for a landmark. I liked the whole adventure in the outlands especially with the spoof of the intro. The attempt that the parents made in order to enter Springfield was spot on. The trip out of Springfield and to the outlands reminds me of Barting Over but with the entire family. The end reminds me of the ending of Trash of the Titans. The whole sendup of it all worked nicely. My two favorite scenes was Maggie hanging out with the other babies and Homer traveling while stuck in that piece of aircraft.

Junior Camper

this episode really makes me hope they bring back some old writers for the last season, or at least the last episode, to give the show a proper ending. if the current writers were going all out on this one, it kinda proves they can't do anything better than "well it wasn't amazing, but at least it didn't make me want to kill someone"

500 episodes. Just 500 more and we'll complete the set!

This was a nice episode. Not great, not even that good, just a nice episode. The couch gag was rather epic, even if it took time away from an episode that had a little too much plot to cover for 20 minutes. Either way, the plot got going right away, and I was worried that the reason for the entire town banding together to kick the Simpsons out of Springfield would be overly dramatic or yet another "Someone in the family does something stupid and wrecks the town, so they get banished" plot. Instead, we had some nice callbacks to previous episodes, some short but sweet gags and appearances from minor characters, and even Ned standing up for the family only to get knocked out of the discussion got me laughing. I would have liked to have spent more time in the outlands, seeing more of why the family has adjusted so well and why they prefer life out there (the fox gag was pretty funny though). When Homer and Marge sneak back to town though, its quite funny, and sweet to see them having fun and enjoying their time together back in Springfield. When they got found out, I was again afraid things were going to get silly or over-the-top, but instead we get a simple dialogue scene with Homer and Marge against the citizens, and a satisfying telling-off moment. The final act is where things dip considerably though. It wasn't a huge deal for me because it was a fairly short act and it sort of makes sense why the townsfolk follow the family to the outlands. Still, it was pretty lazy, and it would have been nice to get some explanation for why the whole town decided to move. Were they feeling guilty about the way they acted? Was it really that much better out there? What was it? And just like that, the episode ends, without much fanfare.

Again though, I enjoyed this episode. It had a big story that probably could have benefited from being an hour long instead, but they made due with what they had. The gags were pretty funny for the most part, I especially liked the gag with Mr. Burns Mr. Teeny. And I have to say something about Julie Kavner's voice work in this episode. I admit I don't always look forward to her work on the show these days mostly because her voice seems shaky or off when she voices Marge sometimes, but she was really good in this episode. The moment where she's pleading with the citizens in the town hall meeting, you really feel for her and the family thanks to her heartfelt speech and Kavner's performance is no small part of that. I guess after all these episodes, I sometimes forget just how talented these performers can be in the right circumstance.

Anyway, I will give this episode a generous 4/5. It's not the best episode of the season, and it definitely had problems I can't defend, but all in all, not a bad way to celebrate the halfway point to a grand.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Blog Entries

Since I doubt anybody will answer me in the speculation thread for this episode:
    Anybody know how the Simpsons Marathon went, or even who won the contest they had running?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    Since I doubt anybody will answer me in the speculation thread for this episode:
    Anybody know how the Simpsons Marathon went, or even who won the contest they had running?
    It was tie after 86 hours.

Thread Information