View Poll Results: How would you Rate "At Long Last Leave"? (PABF07)

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Don't forget--You're Here Forever!

33 23.91%
  • 4/5: We can't Leave, Bart's Lawyer is Here.

34 24.64%
  • 3/5: Meh, we all gotta go Sometime.

30 21.74%
  • 2/5: No phone, No Internet, No TV make Homer go something, something...

28 20.29%
  • 1/5: The Episode Title says it all.

13 9.42%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: 500th Episode "At Long Last Leave" (PABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Gums Murphy View Post
    Maybe it's my imagination but was my comment deleted?
    Everything re: modernsimpsonsrocks was deleted, including the original post

EDIT: double post woops

Banned

Why? Eventho I disagreed with him, he still has the right to say whatever he wants. Let's not go denying freedom of speech, no matter how much you may disagree with it...or atleast don't block my comment which disagreed with his comment with a line from a movie!

Why? Eventho I disagreed with him, he still has the right to say whatever he wants. Let's not go denying freedom of speech, no matter how much you may disagree with it...or atleast don't block my comment which disagreed with his comment with a line from a movie!
    there's only one explanation

commie-nazis

Banned

I concur, with the nazi part of the statement.

In all seriousnes: Mods, don't abuse your powers!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I concur, with the nazi part of the statement.

In all seriousnes: Mods, don't abuse your powers!
    I erased that guy's message because he was trolling. If he wrote "new simpsons are shit! New Simpsons must die! New Simpsons are Zombie Simpsons!" it would've been erased, too. Responding to those people does nothing.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Banned

I love Hans Moleman.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think he had the right to say it anyway, but yeah, not much of an elaborate reasoning.

I'll expand a little more about the note, we all have bitten and that was probably the idea. I guess they are just kind of saying: don't take this so seriously, which is maybe a fair point. It's still a tv show, nevertheless. However it's not a very funny way to put it and it appears after a bunch of terrible to bland episodes (this being the most decent one, but still not perfect).

When they did that song in Gump Roast it worked much better, since even though that was a clip show and a bad one at that (I thought the wraparounds were very weak and arguably worse than At long last leave), they were sort of doing a good job fixing some of the Scully era problems at that point and the song was inspired and funny, at least at that moment, when things like Grampa marrying Patty and Selma looked like an exaggeration and something they wouldn't do since "they had stories for years". The song still stands as a funny and memorable segment of that episode even if its content feels sadly ironic now, not even that song could have predicted Moe being the song of a yeti or an episode devoted to a rag.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Banned

HAHA Le Jake you actually erased that post, I was being sarca...oh never mind.

Blog Entries

This whole moderators gone wild thing is the least bit of my concerns at the moment....

the episode is warranting too many >3/5 votes and reviews....that is sad.

R.I.P. Marcia "Edna" Wallace! Edgar Allan Moz's Avatar

Although I gave this episode a good rating, and I still stand by it, I was thinking if people liked this episode mainly because of the hype of it being the 500th episode. Would people have liked this episode if it wasn't the 500th episode?

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What was the surprise by the way?
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 02-21-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Banned

I must have been the only one, and staunch anti Jeanist, to actually LIKE the 'before logging on and saying how much this sucks' message. Okay whether or not they know they truly do suck, it was a good moment for them.

I must have been the only one, and staunch anti Jeanist, to actually LIKE the 'before logging on and saying how much this sucks' message. Okay whether or not they know they truly do suck, it was a good moment for them.
    I'm right here Bleedin' Gums Murphy (Michael)

Banned

I'm right here Bert Stanton (Bert)

R.I.P. Marcia "Edna" Wallace! Edgar Allan Moz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    What was the surprise by the way?
    Surprise?

Since when you're a moderator Le Jake because I never notice it since today
    My Simpsons Season 24 Ratings/Reviews:
    Moonshine River (2,25/5) / Treehouse Of Horror XXIII (3,5/5) / Adventures in Baby-Getting (3,25/5) / Gone Abie Gone (3,5/5) / Penny Wise-Guys (3/5) / A Tree Grows in Springfield (1,75/5) / The Day The Earth Stood Cool (3,75/5) / To Cur with Love (4/5) / Homer Goes to Prep School (3/5) / A Test Before Trying (3,5/5) / The Changing of the Guardian (1,25/5) / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing (2,75/5) / Hardly Kirk-ing (3,25/5) / Gorgeous Grampa (2,25/5) / Black-Eyed, Please (3,75/5) / Dark Knight Court (3/5) / Pulpit Friction (3,25/5)

Futurama - Season 7 :
    The Bots and the Bees : 3,75/5 / A Farewell to Arms : 4/5 / Decision 3012 : 3,5/5 / The Thief of Baghead : 3,25/5 / Zapp Dingbat : 2/5 / The Butterjunk Effect : 2,5/5 / The Six Million Dollar Mon : 4/5 / Fun On A Bun : 3,75/5 / Free Will Hunting : 2,25/5 / Near-Death Wish : 3,75/5 / 31st Century Fox : 3,5/5 / Viva Mars Vegas : 4/5 / Naturama : 2,5/5

M-E-H...too bad for the 500th ep.

Blog Entries

Should have been longer, but there was definitely not enough material to make it longer. Dipped from halfway through, and by the time I saw Homer and Marge dressed in their disguises it felt lacking in effort (although it had some decent moments after that including the Smithers monkey). Would have liked some explanation for their peers' sudden jealousy or at least a callout for how Grampa's so sheltered/ignored that he had no idea they'd left. Didn't see enough of the non-main characters in general to feel like a 500th episode (town hall intervention felt like a rush job of including some of the ones we'd complain about not seeing). I enjoyed Maggie this episode, but managed to trace most of why the rest held my attention to the fact that it's just more interesting to look at in a new setting with a new wardrobe - not a reflection of the story itself being good. It felt badly cut together as if they HAD had some other ideas and re-edited it to resolve better (written as the original amount of acts and then re-chunked to fit the new scheme?! they have probably been working on this one for a season or so). All in all I wish it had been longer, better, and the last episode - but if it had been, they'd probably do something (decide whether to show the town completely refurbished in the Outlands) to dis/prove the Christmas episode as being canon because they obviously think the current audience is too stupid to draw its own conclusion. Not a bad episode, but not a good 500th episode... :/

Banned

Food Blog

And out of 5?

Blog Entries

I'm really shy with numerical ratings for some reason... I couldn't say, especially because most of the shows we rate have got so irritating that it's hard to put into one sentence positive or negative. That's why I have more fun raising and agreeing with points than really critiquing it. I leave the ratings for when something was so bad or so awesome that it barely merits discussion.

Banned

Okay, nae bother.

Blog Entries

The intro was great, the town meeting was funny (Glad to see they addressed the "Flanders would obviously defend them" thing), Homer and Marge sneaking back in was fun to watch, especially with Burns kissing Teeny dressed as Smithers...Smithers reaction was priceless.

The only problem I have with this episode is the ending....they all just decide to live in the outlands? It's just annoying that they would end the episode with that even though we know all will be reset next week...and that message at the end....I somehow get the feeling that Al Jean was browsing through R&R threads on here and thought "NO! THE SHOW IS STILL GREAT DAMN IT! I'LL SHOW THEM! I'LL SEE TO IT THAT THE 500th EPISODE AN UNSATISFYING ENDING AND SHALL RECEIVE MY CHECK WITH NO COMEUPPANCE! YOU HEAR ME NOOO COMEUPPAAANCE!"

4/5 due to the ending
    Fun Fact: I hate heights

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    You said they aren't "motivated" enough, plus you said they let you down for half the episode and the "ending pissed you off." They gave you a sub-par episode, you called it "ice cream" lapped it up, and begged for more.

Yeah, they half-assed it, but you didn't call it that and gave it a 5/5 anyway, then insulted the Classic Era by comparing it to this mess.
    Half-assed is something that's poorly done, I don't think he episode was poorly done. If you think the definition of half-assed means something half good then I suggest you do some research. And sorry, but I didn't insult the Classic Era in anyway, again you should reread my post so you realize I wasn't insulting anything. If you still think I'm insulting something then I suggest you go to your doctors and see if you get diagnosed with paranoia.

Please don't attack others because of their opinions if you want to have an opinion of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by dave9199 View Post
    This just makes me feel like they know it wasn't that good. They don't want to admit it.
    I think they're well aware that the show has declined but are too afraid to admit it, instead they bring out crap like "The Simpsons isn't declining, it's changing.". They're right though, it has changed... changed for the worse.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Homer I Am View Post
    Half-assed is something that's poorly done, I don't think he episode was poorly done. If you think the definition of half-assed means something half good then I suggest you do some research. And sorry, but I didn't insult the Classic Era in anyway, again you should reread my post so you realize I wasn't insulting anything. If you still think I'm insulting something then I suggest you go to your doctors and see if you get diagnosed with paranoia.
    Half-assed, semantics aside, could mean both definitions. I could run a race at a breakneck pace but then slack off the last half of the race and it still could be called half-assed. You yourself said this episode (seemed to) lack motivation towards the end. And saying 90% of the modern episodes are "just as good as" the classic era is like throwing shit at the past episodes of the show.

Please don't attack others because of their opinions if you want to have an opinion of your own.
    Not really. It's not that the opinion is different it's I'm really baffled at how you gave an episode that was far from perfect (according to your words) a perfect score.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mozy View Post
    Surprise?
    In the preview and speculation thread, people took a quote of Al Jean's out of context, thinking there would be an announcement or something during the episode. He was just referring to suprises within the plot (since it was an early quote before people knew much about the episode). I was gonna say somethin, but... y'know.

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post
    In the preview and speculation thread, people took a quote of Al Jean's out of context, thinking there would be an announcement or something during the episode. He was just referring to suprises within the plot (since it was an early quote before people knew much about the episode). I was gonna say somethin, but... y'know.
    a surprisingly shit plot?

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Stanton View Post
    a surprisingly shit plot?
    How is that a surprise after 10 years of nothing but?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Half-assed, semantics aside, could mean both definitions. I could run a race at a breakneck pace but then slack off the last half of the race and it still could be called half-assed. You yourself said this episode (seemed to) lack motivation towards the end. And saying 90% of the modern episodes are "just as good as" the classic era is like throwing shit at the past episodes of the show.
    Last time I checked there was only 1 definition.
    What the fuck are you talking about? I never said 90% of the modern episodes are just as good as the classic era. Wow! I guess you haven't read my posts because if you did you'd know I hate most of the episodes from the current era, in fact I think Al Jean is an asshole.

Not really. It's not that the opinion is different it's I'm really baffled at how you gave an episode that was far from perfect (according to your words) a perfect score.
    I never said it was far from perfect, in fact I think this is a great episode that's getting criticized for not being good because everyone expected it to be the return to the classic era of the show. I gave it a 5/5 for my own reasons, I'd say why but you'd shove shit up my ass.

I never said it was far from perfect
    The following is a list of complaints you made, pointing out that about half the episode was substandard and clearly far from perfect:

Quote Originally Posted by Homer I Am View Post
    ...but I felt the storyline weakened halfway through the episode... (which actually pissed me off).
    It seems that the writers sort of gave up halfway through.
    Half of the jokes were mediocre while the other half were hilarious.
    Sorry to keep harping on this, but I just don't see how one can say that half the story was weak, half the jokes were mediocre and that the writers gave up halfway through (to the point where parts of it pissed you off) and then give it a 5/5 rating. There's just such a logical disconnect between your list of complaints and your actual score.

Thread Information