View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 4 more years!

5 4.24%
  • 4/5 Haters of this episode ought to do more thinking and less whining!

15 12.71%
  • 3/5 (E Pluribus) Wiggum forever, Homer never!

24 20.34%
  • 2/5 Impeach this episode!

34 28.81%
  • 1/5 Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos!

40 33.90%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: “Politically Inept, With Homer Simpson” (PABF03)

January 8, 2012: Homer gets his own political talk show and gains enough influence to concern Marge and Lisa when he endorses rock star Ted Nugent (providing his own voice) for president. Discuss!

Blog Entries

remember when we used to post these on the actual airdate...

Blog Entries

Barf. After the best episode since Eternal Moonshine comes the worst episode since The Greatest Story. I am so surprised the same show runner who could produce episodes like The Great Simpsina and HOFP could create this gigantic poorly plotted turd. For starters, Homer just topped himself in terms of obnoxiousness. Honestly, the Homer of this episode actually made me long for Scully's "Jerkass Homer." He annoyed me that bad. In addition to this Scully imitation, yet another stupid guest star appears. Only this time, we get the added surprise of the guest being a Jerkass. Al Jean should just stop doing political satires - they always suck and this one was the worst of them all. Not only that, but I now consider this the new worst episode of the series. Mike Scully's episodes were amazing compared to this piece of shit. F

EDIT: Whoops, accidentally gave this a 2/5.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 25 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps - C- The Wreck of the Relationship - D+ Super Franchise Me - D

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

just awful
    "Don't waste your moments in life, you never know when you'll stop waking up." MARYAM ZAREI
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I'm a writer, I use people for what I write...let the world beware." CATHERINE TRAMELL

Average. Not as good as the previous 5/5 "Holidays of Future Passed" episode. A few laughs but not enough. 3/5. C-

Absolutely horrific.

...from Ullman to the grave! Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just an interesting tidbit right off the bat:
    This is not the first time Ted Nugent has been cast as himself on this show. In the episode "I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," Dwight (played by Steve Buscemi) receives a phone call from Nugent.

I just want to say up-front, I lowered my expectations for this episode when I read the synopsis a month ago....
    So, here we go!
    "TinTin did not sucksuck!" LOL!

At least we're getting a full intro... with a crappy couch gag. *sigh*

ACT ONE:
    The airport / airplane jokes were flatter than a... oh, fuck it... the entire first act was flat.
    (So far, living up to my expectations.)

ACT TWO:
    The news ticker at the bottom of the screen is a good distraction from the lack of jokes here at the opening.

"Now I regret bad-mouthing you to that girl you like."
    The token liberal song and dance.

Homer's cardboard chickens.

(Fuck me... a Glenn Beck parody? How timely, Simpsons.)

"That's not you! They just painted Shrek yellow."

Homer's cardboard lion.

(Oh, "Buttinski Lisa"... just shut up.)

ACT THREE:
    Did they feel the episode would be so disjointed that they needed to bring in Kent to recap?
    Oh look, a Chris Christie fat joke. Again, how timely Simpsons.

Lisa bitches about something... annnnnnd it's a commercial break.

(That was an act?)

ACT FOUR:
    Ned can smell death?

GODDAMN IT! SHUT UP, LISA!
    "What is this? Some kind of Bicentennial lemon party?"

What? Oscar Madison? A '60s TV reference without an explanation? A glimmer of classic era Simpsons....

And... it's ove.. OH GOD... IT'S NOT OVER! STOP THE SONG, JUST STOP! IT'S ALREADY DEAD!

This episode was truly craptastic. Oh John Frink, how you've fallen.
    1/5

No, seriously. That just plain SUCKED. The only thing I really laughed at was the chalkboard gag. This episode may join the ranks of "KTAAR," and "Greatest Story Ever D'ohed."
    Last edited by Tubbb!; 01-08-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Now... with pictures!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh...this is weird, but this episode started off godawful, but it got better once Homer got on TV.

The whole sequence from the airport to Milhouse watching Bart's video on youTube was 1/5, but when Homer got on TV, the constant, sardonic ripping on the right was mildly amusing, but the best joke was the "Strawman Liberal." So, I guess a 3/5 is suffice.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

The Things I Do For Love Wail-Id's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the plot was completely awful, but luckily i laughed quite a bit:

Feminine products/toothpaste

Kurt Vonnegut reference (mostly because in English class we read one of his books 3-4 months ago)

Strangers are judging our marriage!

You should have thought of that before you drank the fluids you need to live

Hotdogs spinning counterclockwise

Homer being head butted

Steve Jobs unveils iGhost

Homer mimicking Irish

When a guy who loves America cries, that makes him super straight

Homer crying about being out of gravy

Good night and good gravy

“Who’s hungry for elk?” (and Lisa’s scream, running out of the room)

“That’s fine, as long as you aren’t a Mormon”

Oscar Madison

“That’s what a play within a play is for!”

so yea plot was terrible but at least i laughed a good deal. 3/5 or so

I will make a big critic tomorrow but tonight, I'll just do a little post of a few lines to let you know what I thought of the episode. I always like to see the episode twice before giving a full review. The episode was just bad. He was also terrible because we see some impossible thing in this episode like Ted put child in is bow and arrow and shot them on a target in the backyard of Ned. I hated the episode and I hesitated several times to close my TV because it was bad. Easily in the flop 5 of the series. My rating does not rise very high. It was horrible! For someone who wants to sleep, this episode will be more effective than sleeping pills.
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first act at the airport and last minute or two with Homer on his show unable to cry were pretty awful. The in between stuff had its moments though. Chris Christie at Republican HQ made me laugh fairly hard as did the straw man liberal. Some of the screen crawl things were pretty funny too. Still, I get the sense that this won't age well and is gonna be really forgettable. I also think Homer was made to act even more obnoxious here on purpose with mixed results. I couldn't help but think of this one as a Scully episode through the first act which isn't a good thing. I'll say a weak 3/5 on my first viewing.

4/5

I enjoyed this episode. The first act at the airport was hilarious and never let go. Ted Nugent was great and I thought his statement of there being no meat on the elk's antler was truly like him but he did not need to be using kids as arrows. I did not expect Homer to invent the gravy boat movement. I also liked Homer's "Shrek painted yellow" mask. But did we really need all those side scrolling messages in the second act?

Mama took those batteries Bankrupt Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I missed the first minute or so, and the DVR won't record things for some reason. I'll watch it on Hulu tomorrow, though. But from what I saw, it wasn't very good. Everything seemed to happen so...fast. Homer's on the plane going crazy, then the next minute, he's world famous, then the next minute, he has his own TV show. Everything seemed to happen at breakneck speed, and a good plot never really developed. Homer was also pretty annoying throughout the whole episode. Overall, pretty weak, but enough chuckle-worthy jokes to keep it from a 1. 2/5.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    4/5

I enjoyed this episode. The first act at the airport was hilarious and never let go. Ted Nugent was great and I thought his statement of there being no meat on the elk's antler was truly like him but he did not need to be using kids as arrows. I did not expect Homer to invent the gravy boat movement. I also liked Homer's "Shrek painted yellow" mask. But did we really need all those side scrolling messages in the second act?
    Are you out of your mind ?

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That wasn't very good at all. The only thing good was Homer ranting about dying barnyard rats. 2/5.
    Last edited by zartok-35; 01-08-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

Banned

As I expected that was pretty awful. The whole beginning on the plane was not funny in the slightest and naturally had a good few cringeworthy moments. It was decent enough when Homer had his tv interview and some of the jibes written on the bottom of the "tv screen" were amusing enough but it was just so forced that it was nothing more than that's exactly what I expected. Eventho the way Homer gets his own show is far fetched, just because he shouts, I can accept that if it leads somewhere...it didn't. The emotional reporting was not really convincing or entertaining, the part at the Republican HQ was decent to watch, and the Chris Christie part almost made me laugh, but they could have made it funnier had Homer asked why Cain and Bachmann were crossed out and it was just an awkward silence or something but okay it was watchable. Then after that out of nowhere, he decides to pick some right wing nut and he acts like a typical mean spirited violent Republican prick cliche but then Homer decides to change his mind because of a dream, but it wasn't really a dream, it was someone dressing up like Madison so then Homer was awake...or was he...erm...nevermind. The ending then ends with Homer not going ahead with endorsing Nugent because he can't cry, Nugent quickly accepts it and then randomly sings a song. The end.

I'm feeling generous but 2/5 and 3/10
    Last edited by Bleedin' Gums Murphy; 01-08-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Oh dear Lord, one of the worst episode ever... :X

This is bad, just bad. Everything was wrong. From horrible Homer crying to unbereable Ted Nudgent and the absolutely ridiculous TV show. Seriously, John Frink has a big BIG problem. How can you read this scenario and not telling yourself "This is bullshit" ?
    An apple by day, the doctor away

___________________ Bella Drape 'er's Avatar

To elaborate on my first comment.

I did however enjoy the ironic 'classic simpsons' youtube keyword, the cardboard cut out chickens, the crazy "Get on the gravy boat!" scene and the fake dream twist.

Besides that though, it's a low 2/5

All of this negative feedback makes me glad I didn't watch tonight's episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snaked View Post
    All of this negative feedback makes me glad I didn't watch tonight's episode.
    Consider yourself very lucky!

Banned
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

I didn't get to watch it... Oh well.... Was it a laughable bad episode? Or a OH MY GOD THIS SUCKS SO MUCH bad episode?

For me, it was :

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats View Post
    OH MY GOD THIS SUCKS SO MUCH bad episode?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandreLeblanc View Post
    For me, it was :
    THANK YOU SIMPSONS! THIS IS WHY TEH SAMSINS WAS CREATED!

The Things I Do For Love Wail-Id's Avatar
    Blog Entries

like i said, the plot was shit, but i laughed a fair amount

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm watching it... PRAY FOR ME! I HAVEN'T SMILED ONCE SO FAR!

I found it to be a fun episode and nothing more than that. A good amount of laugh-out-loud moments that worked for me (Plopping the moose down on the table, cardboard animals, Homer's commentary on football being a game fatties can play, and the Newt Gingrich slam I assume was just inserted in there. My favorite moment being the "badger" Ted caught - Martin). I wasn't expecting a great story or anything and I really didn't give a shit that Homer was crying a lot because I just was looking to laugh. I gave it a 5, not seasons 4-8 good, but I just didn't see it any deeper than the light episode it was. Though it was weird that Ned for some reason was willingly catching children on the archery board, but I guess it would have been plain stupid to have someone like Crazy Cat Lady or Sideshow Mel standing there in his yard.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's over... THANK GOD!

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats View Post
    It's over... THANK GOD!
    I said the same thing as you when the episode end

Blog Entries

Oh lord, I didn't think it could get worse... but on the second viewing, it did.

Here's some things I noticed the second time around:

Guess the writers didn't give Rick Santorum a snowball's chance in Hell of ever showing in a primary-

This is why they shouldn't do this kind of topical humor. The show's just not good at it.

Also, I'm not a Lisa hater... but she was an annoying "knowitall" bitch in this episode. Even more so than I can tolerate.
    In this scene, Lisa says: "Blah, blah, blah."

In this scene, Lisa says: "Nag, nag, nag."

In this... awww, screw it: "Bitch, bitch, bitch."

I've never been so sick of "let's put Lisa in just to be a moral voice in outcry of Homer's actions" as I have with this episode. I already wanted to slap her by the second time she opened her mouth.

John Frink continues his streak of shitty episode after shitty episode. He has got to be at at least 13 now. Not that an episode like this has any potential to be anything other than what was done in this episode. Sure they could've made better jokes and such but still the episode never really set itself up to really say anything that hasn't been said millions of times by various other TV shows/films/books

Grade: D

Thread Information