48 27.59%
  • 3/5: Moe Future Blues

21 12.07%
  • 2/5: Kill the Future and Run

7 4.02%
  • 1/5: The Greatest Future Ever D'oh'd

7 4.02%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Holidays of Future Passed" (NABF18)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

In a surprising directorial choice, "Holidays of Future Passed" basically implies from the beginning that this is how the Simpsons' futures will turn out--no fortune-teller, no shaman, and no Frink device. And in an episode full of weighty reveals (who Bart and Lisa marry, what happens to many secondaries, etc), I soon realized that I thought this was a fitting future for OFF. Yes, it's a bit on the bleak side: Bart is more slovenly than Homer and Lisa is as vaguely unsatisfied as Marge has ever been, but silver linings on a dark, cynical cloud make up some of the finest Simpsons moments. So in a way, this episode rings true with the series as a whole.

Bart, Homer, and Lisa are probably the stars of the show, with each of them having significant character reveals in the episode that were implemented organically and in an entertaining way. There wasn't really anything particularly weighty in terms of characterizations or emotion, but it certainly came across as more genuine than usual. Contrasted with the fairly realistic take on the characters, the humor goes for plenty of future craziness, such as superhuman pets and talking trees. But amidst this are plenty of quick freeze-frame gags and some of the best fake-outs, reversals, and screw-the-audience jokes in recent Simpsons history (I'm partial to the powdered cookie recipe).

I enjoyed it all-around but a few niggling problems keep it from being among the best Jean episodes for me. The future concept does feel a little overdone at this point, and I might even have preferred if they just did an "aged" story with modern-day life (like what 1990 Bart would be like in 2011...then again, that's not enough time for grandkids). The storytelling was decent but it never really strove for being better than "good enough" for me, and I would've liked some sort of emotional whopper in an episode like this.

Finally--and I have to devote a paragraph to it because it's a pretty constant problem--I'm sick of these "shocker reveals" with characters. Not just in future episodes but in standard ones too. Martin Prince is suddenly gay! And apparently he wants to be a woman! Because...why not? Why have a nuanced, entertaining character (classic era Martin) when you can cram them into some broad stereotype (gay wimpy kid)? And Lisa apparently "turns gay" for a year or two as well. I mean, she's liberal, right? Having a girlfriend (or two) is right up her alley! This type of forced writing is just obnoxious and demonstrates a lack of understanding of the characters beyond basic attributes. If you want to make someone gay, do it like with Smithers or Patty, where it has a sensible consistency. But it feels like half of Springfield has had some kind of "surprising reveal" just for the sake of humor, even when it makes no sense most of the time.

That aside, good ep. I still prefer Lisa's Wedding, but this is a close 2nd for future episodes. 4/5 B+

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    dead homer society on maggie's forced muteness
    I wish people would stop linking to Dead Homer Society here. It's an overly-cynical, obnoxious site full of poorly-written articles whose authors have clearly made up their mind before seeing the show. Negatively going into each episode with preconceived notions and then posting a rant about it afterward do not make for a very compelling site in my eyes.

Pretty much every regular here could do (and has done) far better reviews and critiques than Dead Homer Society.
    My Nintendo webcomic,

This is the first time I'm hearing of Dead Homer Society. Is that strange?
    Signature.

Quote Originally Posted by TriforceBun View Post
    I wish people would stop linking to Dead Homer Society here. It's an overly-cynical, obnoxious site full of poorly-written articles whose authors have clearly made up their mind before seeing the show. Negatively going into each episode with preconceived notions and then posting a rant about it afterward do not make for a very compelling site in my eyes.
    At least it balances out the 5/5!! posts that happen here.
    Even if they do hate each episode before they've seen it, they still raise good, contextual points regarding it.

Anyway, the post that was linked to wasn't poorly-written and it's actually interesting. Maggie not being heard was a lot more convincing in the older episode. They're also dead-on about the characterization (or rather how it didn't happen). Honestly, it seems your criticisms might be a little hypocritical in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    This is the first time I'm hearing of Dead Homer Society. Is that strange?
    Sort of because any mention of it tends to get a reply complaining about it so it's hard to miss. It's also either the source of the term "Zombie Simpsons" or a factor in popularizing its usage (probably the latter).

number one burpo fan Hommer for the Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate Dead Homers, except for the Quotes of the Day. They even complained about a FLAPPING DICKEY!

Junior Camper

Am I the only one who didn't mind Lisa's "lesbian phase?" I think a lot of you are completely oblivious that many College age girls have at least one lesbian experience nowadays. I believe there was a study on it.

Either way given everything we know about Lisa's character, her showing love for women at one point isn't exactly shocking. But of course she gets stuck with Milhouse, which I actually don't mind.

Oh, and how old is Mr. Burns in this? Like around 150? LOL.

No longer creepy Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted The Telltale Head 2: Bart Gets an F The War of the Simpsons 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious Lisa's Date with Density 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want

Banned
    Blog Entries

That's not shocking in the lightest sense. Makes sense, actually. Felt natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Oh, and I finally checked who voted 1/5, and it's that Darren.Erg guy, apparently whom loves THOH XXII but hates this.

EDIT: Oh, AND he dislikes Homer's Night out.

I love 'im. He's the best troll on NoHomers.

Yeah, everyone's got opinions, but seriously, man.
    Wait people actually pay attention to what people voted on these polls? I actually enjoyed this episode and disliked thoh XXII. Homer's Night Out sucks. No one has any plausible of why it's a good episode other than it aired in the first season and it's flaws can be excused because of it.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't mind Lisa's "lesbian phase?" I think a lot of you are completely oblivious that many College age girls have at least one lesbian experience nowadays. I believe there was a study on it.

Either way given everything we know about Lisa's character, her showing love for women at one point isn't exactly shocking. But of course she gets stuck with Milhouse, which I actually don't mind.
    So, what your saying is she wound up with a woman in the end, regardless, right?

EDIT: I just watched this a second time and I noticed a strange coincidence with my Maggie and Eric idea; Zia got all of her mother's (Lisa) DNA and in my spinoff, Eric got all of Marge's DNA (becaue Homer's was fried from the radiation).
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

This would've made a nice "last" episode! I enjoyed it very much. 5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Oh, and I finally checked who voted 1/5, and it's that Darren.Erg guy, apparently whom loves THOH XXII but hates this.

EDIT: Oh, AND he dislikes Homer's Night out.

I love 'im. He's the best troll on NoHomers.

Yeah, everyone's got opinions, but seriously, man.
    what the hell is this

THIS GUY VOTED DIFFERENTLY FROM THE HIVEMIND

LET'S GET 'IM, GUYS

come on

Pretty much every regular here could do (and has done) far better reviews and critiques than Dead Homer Society.
    they do the best dang simpsons reviews on the internet. every compare & contrast should be mandatory reading. their arguments are rationally presented and pretty iron-clad

their "preconceived notions" are the result of being presented with over a decade of crap

Just rewatched the episode again. Compiled a bunch of observations that haven't gotten much coverage (if any) in this thread as yet...

- Homer's first line is a hoot, "I'll NEVER eat turkey again! Marge, we got any ham?".
    - Lisa's vegetarian alternative Thanksgiving meal appears to have been some kind of vegetable casserole.
    - During the 30-year passage of time picture montage, the sailboat photo behind the Simpsons couch gets shifted a bunch of different angles, transforms into a picture of a schooner then a yacht and finally a spaceship (cool gag that's easily missed).
    - Global warming has led to New York City being entombed in water & left Antarctica as a desert climate fit for camel tours; seeing how the Simpsons apparently visit Antarctica in a couple months this would technically be a return trip for Homer & Marge.
    - The famous Simpson family couch gets replaced with a loveseat in the year 2036 and then with a futuristic couch sometime between the years 2037 and 2040; the lamp to the right of the couch finally gets swapped out in 2041.
    - Maggie frosts the tips of her bangs when she's on stage performing.
    - Based on the photo montage, Zia is 14 years old in this episode. Bart's nameless two kids are probably 4 & 5 years old respectively given the sequence of events.
    - It's interesting that while Lisa & Milhouse's Christmas card (and Zia's cyberdoor later in the episode) implies that Lisa keeps her last name, Zia only carries her mother's name (not to mention DNA) and the family refers to themselves as "the Simpsons" - that the mailbox outside of their "clean-living" house clearly says "Van Houten".
    - Another fun Zia note - the tattoo on her left arm MORPHS in real-time from the Taoist Yin Yang to the Peace Sign to one other symbol I can't place - a transforming tattoo is a really cool effect.
    - So nice to see the digital timeclock on Big Ben gag from "Lisa's Wedding" reprised (before it blasts off into space).
    - Milhouse still doesn't rate a spot on the wall in Homer & Marge's bedroom despite marrying into the family; family photos are now Bart & his kids, Maggie and Lisa & Zia.
    - Even though the family cars haven't been replaced after 30 years they HAVE been retrofitted as hovercars. None of the cars have actual tires. In fact, only Lisa & Milhouse's electric car has tires - clearly this means hovercars still pollute the atmosphere and aren't environmentally-friendly.
    - When heading upstairs in the Simpsons house, Zia appears to be distracted by what appears to be a Nintendo DS-like handheld gaming system. (Her tattoo does not morph in this scene. Seems to only be something that happens in Zia's intro and is subsequently forgotten about - although it does continue to change throughout the episode. Just not in real-time.)
    - I totally missed the "Prince Bloody Harry" gag my first time watching this through - "He brought back beheading in a big way".
    - Some of the modern snack food items found in the Kwik-E-Mart include: Moon Pies, Venus Pies, Saturn Pies, Venus-Maid Raisins, Soylent Green, Soylent Brown, Hostess Fruit Pis (with the pi symbol) and Infra-Red Vines.
    - Apu to Robo-Snake: "What are you after? We're a cashless society!"
    - I'd think it was presumptuous for Lisa to barge in on her parents in bed while hammered but it's not like they'd be having sex with Homer's new penis still en route so I suppose it's not a big deal.
    - I only count 53 Nahassapeemapetilon babies. Where are the other 11?
    - Speaking of 53, there's a hilarious gag on the NewTube video wall in the Ultranet... the video link 4th from the bottom of the list says "Simpsons Season 53 Preview".
    - Some of the other video gags: "Kitten ray gun oops!", "Robot chip slip", "Teleportation Cat/Turkey Mashup" and "Cyborg-Bill Gates Keynote".
    - Familiar faces on the Springfield Elementary friends request wall include: Mr. Largo, Miss Hoover, Groundskeeper Willy, Allison Taylor, Sherri & Terri, Janey, the supposedly dead Edna (2nd love interest of Flanders that Homer has "indirectly" killed). The new Marcia Princess is likely the girl wearing the beret in the top row directly above Largo. The extreme far shot of the wall appears to indicate Skinner is also here at the very top-left section of this group.
    - We see Lisa's three college girlfriends here in the U.C.-Moon section of the friends request wall. One appears to have gone ultra-conservative and dyed her hair, one appears to have undergone race-change surgery (not unlike Lenny & Carl I suppose, although they just swapped brains) and the third (with all the piercings) - I'm going to theorize is Jessica Lovejoy just for shits and giggles.
    - So nice to see Tony Blair make the cut in "The Simpsons Go To..." section.
    - The third time we see the Montgomery Burns Institute for Soul Extraction exterior shot, Mr. Burns is holding Satan's hand and leading him into the building.
    - Who or what is Empress Zimzam?
    - There is thankfully no actual website called unripemelons.com... but FOX did register the domain name just in case someone tried to after hearing the gag in this episode. Just to date this episode somewhat, the domain name was registered way back in October 2010.
    - Bart's kids also call their grandfather "Homer'. Good to see some traditions never die.
    - Raphael/Wiseguy shows up in the cryogenic facility and doesn't appear to have aged a day. He must freeze himself in between shifts.
    - Maggie wears a pearl string necklace just like her sister & mom; except in her case they're oval/rice-shaped.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 02-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    - Who or what is Empress Zimzam?
    A Cosmic Wars spoof of Queen Amidala from the Star Wars prequels likely first introduced in Season 15's Co-Dependent's Day, at least I'm fairly certain.

I'm a man of wealth and taste Irvine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All right, I just got finished rewatching it and this time, I actually really liked it. The future jokes were actually pretty clever (and sorry, Jake, but I thought the tree joke was hilarious) and in terms of empathy, this ranked up with something out of seasons 5 or 6. I wouldn't call it better than Lisa's Wedding, but it's pretty close. I'm raising my grade to an A. Probably the best episode since Eternal Moonshine.

(EDIT: I noticed that Lisa's daughter has the surname Simpson, rather than Van Houten. I guess either Lisa kept her last name or they're trying to imply Milhouse took Lisa's name. Or it could be a goof.)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings
    Homerland - C Treehouse of Horror XXIV - B Four Regrettings and a Funeral - C- YOLO - B Labor Pains - C The Kid is All Right - C+ Yellow Subterfudge - B White Christmas Blues - B- Steal This Episode - A- Married to the Blob - C- Specs and the City - C Diggs - D The Man Who Grew Too Much - F The Winter of His Content - B+ The War of Art - C- You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee - F Luca$ -D Days of Future Future - D

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 View Post
    what girl could resist a guy who wakes up his mother to ask her if she has a crush on hitler

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    The new Marcia Princess is likely the girl wearing the beret in the top row directly above Largo.
    I think it's the girl with the beret in lisa's class (wanda) - http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...39;s_Class.PNG only picture I could find

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

they do the best dang simpsons reviews on the internet. every compare & contrast should be mandatory reading. their arguments are rationally presented and pretty iron-clad

their "preconceived notions" are the result of being presented with over a decade of crap
    I checked the Compare-Contrast section just out of curiosity and I agree with both of you. On one side they do seem to be extremely nitpicky and show preconceived notions about everything. On the other hand, what they actually say is, for the most part, right. Some of the things they observe are more animation related than script related, actually, and most of them are kinda true. And I don't think they are so poorly written or explained. However some of them are not really that important in the general scheme of the episode. I see their point : a combination of these little things ends up in a show that is rather different from the classic one. But still, do they ever say anything GOOD about the current show? I may have read some of their reviews in the past, but I don't remember much. If they always say bad things I wouldn't consider it a fair site. Maybe it's a funny site, if you enjoy sardonic criticism, but if they just rip apart everything it's not valid as a commentary of the state of the show or the quality of each episode.

I especially dig their comparison about the conventioneering thing cause it applies to many episodes, but they seem to keep a forced negative attitude towards every part of the new episode. For example, I do agree that the kitchen scene is more natural in the old episode, and the way they got the VIP passes, and the stands in the actual convention are funnier in the classic episode. But I think the new one includes some good jokes also, and I liked Homer's 'first person shooter" point of wiew, which is banned as "lame" here.

Similarly I do agree that Maggie being silent in "Holidays..." is more forced in comparison to "Lisa's Wedding", but it's not nearly as lame or relevant to the quality of the episode as they imply, and it's not really so indicative of the "new" style. The intention of Maggie's part in the episode is to show how he gives birth to a baby and her travels to see her family, not so much to "stretch" the joke of her being in silence, even though that's part of the thing. The subplot actually includes pretty good jokes like the ones involving the airplanes, so I think it's worth it.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 12-14-2011 at 08:25 AM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork View Post
    But still, do they ever say anything GOOD about the current show? I may have read some of their reviews in the past, but I don't remember much. If they always say bad things I wouldn't consider it a fair site. Maybe it's a funny site, if you enjoy sardonic criticism, but if they just rip apart everything it's not valid as a commentary of the state of the show or the quality of each episode.
    it's not the job of a critic to be "balanced"

but yeah they do say positive things once in a while. the main guy said the first church of lard lad was the funniest thing he's seen in years and that the epsiode had some good setpieces. typically someone will bring up a good joke but note that it got run into the ground (a frequent complaint here as well, I should note)

The only thing that bummed me out about the episode, I think, was that it should have been saved for a send-off film. Hell, I'd be okay if they basically re-hashed the entire premise for a film. I don't think 20 minutes is enough to do justice to the kind of potential the episode showed (and delivered on many levels).

Blog Entries

it's not the job of a critic to be "balanced"
    I think it is, especially when we are talking about a large number of episodes. A film critic doesn't have to say good things or be balanced about a movie he doesn't like in comparison to one he likes (if it's a remake, for example) but if that critic alwas says bad things about one particular director he comes off as biased, especially if his criticisms often get into very nitpicky details.

Thanks for your response.

Blog Entries

well maybe that director is just really bad

the critic is going to be biased no matter what, s/he's not an objective observer. all criticism is subjective

Blog Entries

all criticism is subjective
    That's true. However, I think critics should try to be at least a little objective. Being subjective is easier, a critic should analyze every aspect of the product and be as fair as possible. For example if a comedy doesn't make him laugh but it has some good acting or it's well directed he/she, as an expert in the subject, should probably point it out. Saying he didn't like it is something every member of the audience could do.

I think it's the girl with the beret in lisa's class (wanda) - http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...39;s_Class.PNG only picture I could find
    Good catch on Beret Girl.
    I suppose Marcia may be one of those gags that doesn't show up until needed... similar to the "Ignore and Punish" button below Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by bboynexus View Post
    The only thing that bummed me out about the episode, I think, was that it should have been saved for a send-off film. Hell, I'd be okay if they basically re-hashed the entire premise for a film. I don't think 20 minutes is enough to do justice to the kind of potential the episode showed (and delivered on many levels).
    Actually yeah, I sort of agree. If they don't go with the "everything continues as normal" route, then this one could suit if it was rather reworked to remove the gratuitous future jokes. It's a bit of a downer in terms of Bart/Lisa and even Milhouse, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    Actually yeah, I sort of agree. If they don't go with the "everything continues as normal" route, then this one could suit if it was rather reworked to remove the gratuitous future jokes. It's a bit of a downer in terms of Bart/Lisa and even Milhouse, though.
    I would disagree about Milhouse. Dude, got to marry his dream girl and even got a kid out of the deal. It was never going to get any better for him.

He developed some nasty allergies as a plot device but if they're only Christmas-related, he'll still enjoy the remaining 10 1/2 months of the year sneeze-free.

No longer creepy Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darren.Erg View Post
    I actually enjoyed this episode.
    Then you gave it a 1/5...why? To be different? I used to be a person who did that. You've historically been a person who's criticized me a lot, but I feel you're acting hypocritical by voting that way just for the hell of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darren.Erg View Post
    Wait people actually pay attention to what people voted on these polls? I actually enjoyed this episode and disliked thoh XXII. Homer's Night Out sucks. No one has any plausible of why it's a good episode other than it aired in the first season and it's flaws can be excused because of it.
    I don't know if you are messing with the poll votes just for fun or for trying to prove a point. Whatever, it's just a vote. But if it's the second case I'd like to know what the hell are you trying to prove.
    Season 21 ratings (A.K.A. Qwert's Generic Sig Vol. II)

Homer The Whopper 7/10 Bart Gets A 'Z' 8.5/10 The Great Wife Hope 9/10 Treehouse Of Horror XX 9.17/10
    The Devil Wears Nada 9.5/10 Pranks And Greens 6.5/10 Rednecks And Broomsticks 7.5/10 Oh Brother, Where Bart Thou? 8.5/10
    Thursdays With Abie 5.5/10 Once Upon A Time In Springfield 10/10 Million Dollar Maybe 4.5/10 Boy Meets Curl 6/10
    The Color Yellow 9/10 Postcards From The Wedge 9.5/10

vomit inducing condescension hammster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

fucking hell, people sure get uptight about polls
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpsons_Sweden View Post
    You are so right hammster .

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Then you gave it a 1/5...why? To be different? I used to be a person who did that. You've historically been a person who's criticized me a lot, but I feel you're acting hypocritical by voting that way just for the hell of it.
    I never criticized you for voting/having an opinion out of the norm. I actually don't remember even criticizing you that much but when I did it was for you being unable to back up what you were saying or just saying you didn't have to back up what you were saying because it was just your opinion.

For all we know I could have enjoyed the episode but still felt it was deserving of a 1/5. But in this case I was just fucking around. It's not like it matters to anyone at all.

Banned
    inside of your skeleton, slowly feeding away at your insides,
    Blog Entries

I wish we could make it where we can't see who voted for what... So stuff like Darren's case doesn't happen >.<

High-functioning alcoholic Yule Blog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I found this thoroughly enjoyable. I'm hanging up my hat already as a Simpsons critic, because while enjoyable to read I don't wish to get into the politics of old v.s. new episodes and prefer to concentrate on whether the newer seasons suck (or not) in their independent right. I really liked this episode, and I think I would have liked it just as much a few years ago - let's face it, the future-themed episodes have averaged out as "bad".

I would have preferred it if either a) all future episodes were speculative (not inferred canon) and explored wider possibilities (e.g. in one version Bart does "better" in life than Lisa, in another Maggie is forever overshadowed by her siblings' adventures, in another Apu's kids produce one solitary heir between them, in another Ralph is the only kid in his class to graduate college...), OR b) this is actually the final episode, validating its role as canon. I particularly wish they'd taken the speculative route, because that makes for fanfiction fuel, and could even make up one episode per new season with easy excuses for plots. What am I saying? If there's anything at all that gives the writers the inspiration kick to generate something as amusing as Holidays Of Future Passed on a regular basis, it could not be worse than the low points they actually churn out. Gonna make huge changes to the style / pace / opening sequence? Go the whole hog and add in a Treehouse-recurring future fantasy format; it couldn't suck more than Treehouse.

On sexuality: Lisa didn't surprise me at all - even taken in a purely "Lisa" context, she has the curious mind to force herself to experiment even if her sexuality is biased towards settling down with men (implied by virtually everything else we've seen). Especially as she has never been shown as naive or closed minded enough to take issue with the possibility of being gay, yet shown to process the crushes she does have in a way that very much points to heterosexual development. (Or more cynically, the creators realised it would be a tad too subversive to make her more than bisexual, and would lose audience favour as a role model. Damn.) Martin I thought was maybe a bit far, mostly because it seemed more like pigeonholing his existing characteristics rather than played-for-shock/laughs/random. I disagree with the suggested cartoon trope that Lisa and Milhouse are more likely companions than in real life - so much of the series so far has been geared towards them settling for each other (same with Lisa's thing with Nelson), that it's actually less contrived than in most series because they're at least not implied to have eyes only for each other equally (more like a real life solution than destined-to-be). Also, I feel that it works in the context where Lisa is for whatever reason jaded enough to semi-accept this (obviously existed before they were married).

On the "characterless" Simpson heirs: I feel that the lack of development was reasonable for yet one more reason - they are unlikely to be returning characters. I actually suspect that further depth of character was written for all of them, but they chose not to include it here because of episode time constraints, and that they're quite dry for original new characters as it is and would rather apply that effort to kids who are / could become regular, including Bart and Lisa themselves and perhaps yet more old-Simpsons-esque backstory. It would not surprise me to see something next season and go "I think that was meant for him/her".

My gripe: It didn't feel like a Christmas episode. Watching this in the height of summer could not even amount to irony. Where are the jokes about how Christmas is handled in the non-distant future? It wouldn't take much looking at the recent past trends of growing consumerism and deadness of holiday spirit and family values. Wait .. was that the joke? Judging by the atheistic Flanders twist, touché...

ETA: I also agree that this should have been a double-length episode / end of series movie. It would gently sidestep having to attempt resolve in the present tense (because tapering off The Simpsons is nigh impossible to imagine, and probably a feat the writers are afraid of).
    ETA2: I was amused to calculate (I'm terrible at maths btw) from the photo sequence that Bart finally leaves home around 33. I may be wrong, but my rough look says that Zia is only around 13 and Bart's kids (judged by their approximate drawn size and Maggie's as she ages) are between 3-5 years old.

/My Two Cents
    Last edited by Yule Blog; 12-15-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Thread Information