50 27.62%
  • 3/5: Moe Future Blues

22 12.15%
  • 2/5: Kill the Future and Run

7 3.87%
  • 1/5: The Greatest Future Ever D'oh'd

8 4.42%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Holidays of Future Passed" (NABF18)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

...from Ullman to the grave! Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    I actually think this track record is pretty good right now. It's a little rusty, but I'm going to give it time. I wouldn't call it Zombie Simpsons at all right now, because when a recent season has 2 5/5's from me in not even the first half, that's a pretty good sign.
    I'm just a "glass half empty" kinda guy.
    You're right, we're not even half way through yet... but by your own standards, this season barely receives a passing grade. Four out of nine episodes so far have not met with your approval.

You gave "The Book Job" a 5/5? Different strokes for different folks....
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedwaySquad View Post
    You liked this episode, I didn't. There's no need to get so worked up about it.
    "In Rand McNally, they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people!"
    "Oh, I've wasted my life."

Stonecutter Emeritus The Love-Matic Grandpa!'s Avatar

3.5, leaning heavily towards 4.

As "future episodes" go, this wasn't bad (at least compared to "Future-Drama") and for once the characterizations were on point. They also relaxed on the space-age gags and actually had a focused, family-driven story for once, so points there as well. It's nowhere near "Lisa's Wedding", but these days you take what you can get from this show and judge on a sliding scale.
    Dear Advertisers:

I am disgusted with the way old people are depicted on television. We are not all vibrant, fun-loving sex maniacs. Many of us are bitter, resentful individuals who remember the good old days when entertainment was bland and inoffensive. The following is a list of words I never want to hear on television again:

• Number one: bra.
    • Number two: horny.
    • Number three: family jewels.

Sincerely,
    Abraham J. Simpson

I will do a critic tomorrow but now I can say that I gave a 4,5/5 or 5/5 to this great episode !

I really like it and the end looks like futurama ^^

Oh that's Raspberry : I also see Sideshow Bob on the floor of the bar of Moe !
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

5/5
    A big improvement from the past two episodes. I've always enjoyed the futuristic episodes and this one was no different. GREAT way to finish midseason. The writers have a lot of work to top this episode. It felt like I was watching a David Mirkin era episode. A+

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty good, but not better than Lisa's Wedding.

Two things I disliked.

1/That they almost showed this future like 'canon' with the picture montage (hated Lisa experimenting with girls too). In a way, it's a simple introduction and less contrived than the other flash-flowards, but I don't really want to take any of this future episodes as canon, just different options.

2/The futuristic gags. I didn't liked them in Future-drama and still wasn't a fan of them here. I especially disliked the talking tree.

However this second point needs an explanation. I think SOME of the future jokes worked to some extent, especially those that were some kind of exaggeration of current things, like Lisa's daughter connecting herself to the internet (mails through brain were a little too much, though) or Grandpa being cryogenized instead of dead (cause that would have been more depressing, it's a good misleading joke with the tombstone and who knows, there's still a small chance that this could work someday). The airplane gags were also good.

I quite liked Bart's sons and their relationship with Bart and Homer, enjoyed Maggie's subplot and Lisa's was ok, though Milhouse wasn't very well used (actuallly not used at all) and for Lisa actually marrying Milhouse I think he should have evolved in better ways but he was still ugly and a loser, and Lisa would probably have better options.

Would have been an ok final episode but not perfect. However I really did like Homer forgiving Grandpa and helping Bart with his children. He really made up for all his lousy parenting after all these years.

4/5
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 12-11-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Gums Murphy View Post
    Eventually it turns into future Bart and future Lisa having prolems with their bratty children, a blatant waste but inevitable time on everyone from Springfield in the future. The conclusion ended with what? Bart's kids telling him they love him and Lisa's daughter telling her she loves her, SHOCKA!!! and then the 2 pets taking a final photo to end the episode...
    Sometimes the simplest paths have the most interesting scenery...

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

lust 4 quagland HANDSOME.S4.COMPLETE.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I mean it was interesting to watch and all but the only reason it was interesting to watch is because it's The Simpsons in the future...
    Well maybe it's just me but I watched it because it was a Christmas special..

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoonnetwork View Post
    I especially disliked the talking tree.
    Oh, and this. The tree feels the need to tell a story that happened like five years ago just so the audience knows. Hate these.

And damn, 53 people are browsing this thread currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe
    The only thing you've managed to do is piss us off. You are a fucking prick, and it's people like you that are bringing this damn country down.

Banned

Not in this case my friend.

I mean someone above said this episode had the feel of "a David Mirkin era episode", really? It's definitely a pass and at most I could understand someone giving it a 4/5 or 8/10 but not 9/10, 10/10 worthy at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Well maybe it's just me but I watched it because it was a Christmas special...
    You watch it because it's a Simpsons episode. I'm just saying that the only reason the episode appeared interesting or has deluded people into thinking it has an interesting plot is because it's set in the future and all the Simpsons characters right across Springfield are 20 years older.

Mama took those batteries Bankrupt Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a good episode. I thought it was a very funny episode, one of the funniest of the season. The plot seemed a bit...shallow in places, and some of the jokes went on too long or were unnecessarily explained, but overall, a very strong outing that I'd be happy to watch again. 4/5.

EDIT: Even the chalkboard gag made me laugh! That hasn't happened in...years.

I would rank the future episodes like this:

1: Holidays of Future Passed

2: Lisa's Wedding

3: Bart to the Future

4: Future-Drama
    Last edited by Bankrupt Panther; 12-11-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Banned

1: Lisa's Wedding

and the rest tied in 2nd place as all of them are about the same quality.

number one burpo fan Hommer for the Holidays's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hilarious and heartwarming.

A+

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post

1: Holidays of Future Passed
    2: Lisa's Wedding
    3: Bart to the Future
    4: Future-Drama
    I'd rate the future episodes like this:

1. Holiday's of Future Passed - A+
    2. Lisa's Wedding - A-
    3. Future-Drama - D
    4. Barf...er, Bart to the Future - F

For me :

1- Holidays of future passed A
    2- Lisa's wedding B-
    3- Future-drama C+
    4- Bart to the future E

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Holidays of Future Passed - 5/5
    Lisa's Wedding - 5/5
    Future-Drama - 4.5/5
    Bart to the Future - haven't watched recently, but 2-2.5/5 from memory
    Last edited by Oh, that's raspberry!; 12-11-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Judging from the reviews on here, this is probably the most well received episode since Eternal Moonshine.

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This episode can't possibly be better than "Lisa's wedding". You can't convince me.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by irvine_11 View Post
    Judging from the reviews on here, this is probably the most well received episode since Eternal Moonshine.
    Yes and the two episode were writting by J. Stewart Burns !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irvine_11 View Post
    If they were smart this would get the Emmy nom like that one, but who knows maybe the season will actually top this somehow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    This episode can't possibly be better than "Lisa's wedding". You can't convince me.
    Don't worry mate, they're just naturally over hyping the episode because it was an actual zombie Simpsons episode that wasn't awful/mediocre. I guarantee in a couple of years time, people will realise it's only a 7/10 at best.

"Lisa's Wedding" is superior in every single way.

Blog Entries

I loved this episode and I'm so happy to see it getting such great reviews! The future storytelling was handled very well in all of the three stories, I loved the clever future gags, as well as the heartwarming ending. 5/5! The only future episode I liked before this one was Lisa's wedding but I think this episode has topped that one!
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Blog Entries

Lisa's Wedding had a better ending, but overall it wasn't as funny. I guess when you're going to go all-out zany with these wacktastical futures, LW didn't carry the theme far enough.

Don't worry mate, they're just naturally over hyping the episode because it was an actual zombie Simpsons episode that wasn't awful/mediocre. I guarantee in a couple of years time, people will realise it's only a 7/10 at best.
    Trust me, I don't fall into that focus group.

Yeah, I don't blame you for being skeptical... and there are certainly a fair share of people who aren't digging this new episode, including on IMDb and other forums. I don't think it's quite as good as Lisa's Wedding, but certain elements are better executed in Holidays of Future Passed, particularly the believability of the future. The emotional aspect is certainly better in Lisa's Wedding, it's more forced and sappy in the new episode.

I'd rank 'em like this:

1. Lisa's Wedding — 5/5
    2. Holidays of Future Passed — 4.5/5
    3. Future-Drama — 2.5/5
    4. Bart to the Future — 2/5

Wath was your favourite story ? Rhe one of Bart, Lisa or Maggie ?

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    Lisa's Wedding had a better ending, but overall it wasn't as funny.
    Were they as smart? As satirical? Do they have all the aspects of classic-era quality? I'm sure this is a good episode, but it should be deep as well as funny to beat a classic from season 6.

Blog Entries

Were they as smart? As satirical? Do they have all the aspects of classic-era quality? I'm sure this is a good episode, but it should be deep as well as funny to beat a classic from season 6.
    I'm not saying this episode is better than the best of the classic era, I'm saying it's better than Lisa's Wedding because it was just plain funnier without being deep or insightful. Also, Lisa's Wedding isn't very high on my all-time favorite episode list when compared to other CE episodes (it's about #150).

Did anyone see that V for Vendetta/Anonymous reference in one of the photos? (at least I believe it was, Bart wearing Guy Fawkes mask)
    Doesn't mean it's true

...from Ullman to the grave! Tubbb!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewalkindude View Post
    Can anyone identify the list of Lisa's potential friends from Springfield Elementary and Traveling Simpsons? I could only get a few.
    Here 'ya go!

/

Notice Edna's one of Lisa's friend requests... but Homer accidentally killed her?

Watching it again now, pretty hilarious spot-on joke about the hologram on the Capitol lawn, with a Christmas tree that rotated to a menorah, a Hindu god, and then a "X" sign for people with no holiday. And how Apu thinks his brother is reincarnated as a cow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    Here 'ya go!
    That design for Mr. Largo is surprisingly funny.

Also, perhaps that Edna is a clone or Lisa hasn't checked her requests in a while?

Thread Information