49 27.84%
  • 3/5: Moe Future Blues

21 11.93%
  • 2/5: Kill the Future and Run

7 3.98%
  • 1/5: The Greatest Future Ever D'oh'd

7 3.98%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Holidays of Future Passed" (NABF18)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

That was a good episode, but I don't understand the love for it. 4/5 (now my favorite Christmas episode, and my second favorite futurist episode, Lisa's Wedding is better)
    I loved the photo montage at the beginning.

EDIT : 4.5/5
    Last edited by Blobulle; 12-12-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Rewatched it

vomit inducing condescension hamm's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ermm... I thought it was inoffensive. And would have made a decent finale. I'm not particularly onboard with quite the level of praise it's recieved though. It was still full of some awkward ass dialogue and, although it was amusing in places, I only actually laughed once. So yeah, first episode I've watched of season 23 and it was alright but I wasn't blown away.

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

Lovely, splendid, well done, a little light on pacing at points, Lisa's plot didn't seem interesting and Bart's kinda started and stopped but the jokes were good, the ideas even better and the heart stronger than usual. I'm hopeful for The Simpsons when I see an episode like this, or a season as mostly strong as this, it makes it seem possible to bring back genius.
    4/5

Blog Entries

I'm starting to think that I have maybe been a little too rough on this episode. I'll give it a rewatch sometime before I officially stick with my B-
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 25 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

This space is blank because I have nothing to review until September. Have a nice summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Frightened Inmate No. 2 View Post
    what girl could resist a guy who wakes up his mother to ask her if she has a crush on hitler

This episode isn't better than Lisa's Wedding, however it did make me smile and it's the only recent Simpsons episode to achieve that feat.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tubb! View Post
    "The Benny Hilton"
    Is that a Dalek outside the Benny Hilton?

vomit inducing condescension hamm's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By the way for the first time in FOREVER, I thought the Ralph gags were the best gags of the episode.

While it had a lot of problems, this episode kept me engaged. I was interested in finding out what happened and I was so pleased when Homer brought Grandpa home for Christmas.
    I wish it had stuck with a more grounded version of the future though. Random bits of technology isn't the same as magical gloves, the Devil and talking trees.
    I've got to say, I agree with a lot of the points raised over at Dead Homers Society. I don't think the episode was terrible, but a lot of the choices were.

Maybe they thought this would be the last episode?
    It feels like they were treating this as the last future episode so they just went all-out with the future jokes. I think they relied a bit too much on them, though.
    Last edited by Mr. Krikt; 12-12-2011 at 09:12 AM.

This episode got a bad ratings (3.0)
    last week the ratings were (4.0) !!

Blog Entries

1.Holidays of Future Passed A- Lisa's wedding A- (tie)
    3.Future-drama C+
    4.Bart to the future F

I don't care for G.O.B. Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've never really been a fan of the future episodes (The dialogue in them usually feels so forced 'It hasn't been the same since {Character} died {Place}' or 'I really wish {Character} was alive to see this, but of course he died {Time or place}' They just feel so lazy to me) I don't think it deserves the high praise it's been receiving (Defiantly shouldn't be considered better that Lisa's Wedding) But it's really not bad, just pretty adequate...

Score: 7.5/10.0

LOVE IT!!!!!!
    It felt very fresh. Showing Bart and Lisa children was a brilliant and cute idea to the point I wish they would do a spin-off "Simpsons - Generation 2"

I love how many jokes they put in one episode, not a second fet like waste.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I'll bet this episode throws a lot of future based fanfics all out of whack. lol

Great watch! I thought the future jokes would be awful, but they were equal to Futurama levels. I watched Lisa's Wedding not too long before this, so a lot of the over the top gags didn't seem so over the top given how nutty Lisa's Wedding went.

5/5 from me.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Well...... that was disappointing. I mean, considering the heaps of praise it was getting, I was actually looking forward to watching it. But now that I have, I'll reveal what I thought.

I guess the idea of this episode was to show how the whole family's lives had changed in 30 years. But there were so many plots it was hard to follow and a lot of stuff ended up being resolved quickly. Lisa is explained to be some kind of pushy mother, but we barely ever see her like that. Lisa's daughter acts like a moody teenager the whole thing and suddenly says that she looks up to Lisa with no real hints. Bart's kids were also pretty clichéd and the dialogue fairly predictable. And the "Maggie doesn't talk" joke was executed so awkwardly. In Lisa's Wedding, it actually felt like she was going to speak before Hugh interrupted her. Here, she leaves her mouth open for ages before something interrupts, both times. It just felt very forced. And the sweet moments were all too often interrupted by some joke, some harmless, some annoying, the worst being Bart's kid's: "You've taught us the true meaning of Christmas" - [INSERT JOKE HERE] - sweet moment continues. The dialogue was corny as it was before being damaged further.

The sweet moments all had good intentions but just were executed poorly as a result of such things. I could feel this episode really wanted to be sweet but I didn't really ever connect with it. I sorta liked Bart saying Lisa was the one he looked up to but even that had some stupid future gag rammed in before and after it which certainly hurt it, not to mention the "awkward ass" dialogue that is such a staple of modern Simpsons.

As for jokes-wise this episode didn't succeed, really. I didn't laugh once but I didn't cringe at any jokes, so it was fairly mediocre in that respect. But all the future gags were sort of annoying, some just because of the nature of the joke (the talking tree was a lame idea to begin with), others because of their placement as I mentioned earlier. The gags got in the way of some potential emotional moments way too often.

I didn't hate the episode though. What I thought was done best was Marge and Homer's relationship. I liked how Homer obeyed Mirkin's theory that as he got older, he "mellowed out", which Mirkin said was the theory in the Lisa's Wedding commentary. Homer was in good character and it was a nice break from the loud-mouth writers mouthpiece Homer we get so often. Marge also seemed in solid character (though she looked very young for 60 something). In fact to be honest most people were in good character. But there was so much going on this almost got pushed to the side and I never really engaged with the characters or the story. And on a side note, this episode never felt Christmassy, which was a shame. Could have used more music.

Basically this episode was covering so much ground that it never really got under the skin of any of the new relationships posed in the episode, and it would have been much better as an hour long episode, or just simply simplified. Coupled with too many jokes in the wrong places and the main faults of the episode have been covered. I just never ever really, y'know, got in to it.

Decent, but best of the season? best future episode? best Christmas episode? best of the Jean era??? No.

C+/B-
    Last edited by cloneasaurus; 12-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: DarthDuck

Tyrant Eats Taco Salad! D DEBBS's Avatar

Somehow, seeing Lisa wind up with Milhouse is the equivalent of a fan-fic writer's bad 'shipper story.'

I'd rather she'd gone gay a la her Aunt Patty-it would have made it more interesting.

Maggie as a rock star...seeing that she sang at Lisa's future wedding to that British guy, it would have made sense. Her tour plane looks like it could have been Dethklok's first mode of transportation.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D DEBBS View Post
    Somehow, seeing Lisa wind up with Milhouse is the equivalent of a fan-fic writer's bad 'shipper story.'
    Eh, that's TOO obvious. In my version of the future (ala 20 years from now) Maggie, age 21, ends up with Milhouse, age 30. Sadly, Lisa's still single and is a bit of a lone-hearted soul looking for her place in the world.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

The Smart Simpson LittleMissLisaSimpson's Avatar

I really loved this episode. One of the best future episodes along with Lisa's Wedding and one of the best season 23 episode! (so far :P). I loved Bart's kids they're adorable , Lisa and Milhouse's daughter was cool with her blue streak in her hair.

Maggie's baby looked like her which is cute, but I really wanted her to speak though

5/5

"Trust in yourself & you can achieve anything" - Lisa Simpson
    Favourite Season - Season 4

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with some of the things SpeedWay has just said, but I thought Bart's kids were pretty decent characters. They didn't have a lot of personality but they felt more natural than Lisa's daughter. They felt like real kids. Not extremely peculiar in their personalities, but cute and spontaneous.

I think the gags I dislike the most are both the pure fantasy ones, especially when they were bad placed. The talking tree was terrible and bad placed after the rather emotional scene in the treehouse, while the cat/dog evolution at least was placed at the very end and was a funnier joke.

Also, the "this character being gay" jokes. I wouldn't really mind if they didn't make it so often, but here Lisa had that lesbian period and Martin changed of sex. Recently they showed Martin acting like a gay in Replaceable You. It seems that they use that for shock value, sometimes without a very good reason behind it.

In Lisa's Sax Milhouse was said to be gay in Loren Prior's opinion, but it was an isolated gag, and it was his opinion. Nothing indicates that he was right. Now way too many characters are shown to have gay attitudes, sometimes in more than one episode. I wouldn't say Martin acts or sounds extemely masculine, but I wouldn't assume he's gay for that, just extremely nerdy.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

hidle-onar-takan-thran Toomanygrandmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

- Bah humbug -

Wow. Just wow. I haven't seen all the Rate and Reviews for all of the newest episodes to be fair, but this is the first new (i.e. late Jean) episode that has received such positive reviews. There are some really glowing reviews all around for this episode. Does it deserve all of this praise? I have two answers - a short answer and a long answer.

Short Answer: No. No it does not.

Long answer:
    No, because whilst there isn't much inherently wrong with this episode, I don't see what it does that's so right. It was probably a mistake looking at the reviews for this episode, before actually watching it, but I don't think I would have loved it if I had gone in with no expectations.

So how bout dat premise. Interesting, but not my cup of tea, to be honest. What I mean by that, is that once I knew of the premise of this episode, I looked forward to it mainly out of interest in seeing the characters a fair bit older. Yes, we had seen it before, but this was the first time there were Simpsons grandchildren about. However, whilst the premise in one respect is interesting, I didn't feel like I would enjoy the actual episode. I just don't like future episodes much. Bart to the Future is dire, Future Drama is very so-so, and even Lisa's Wedding, I find to be quite overrated.

The first reason I don't enjoy them is due to the jokes. There's not really anything terrible about making jokes about the possible future, but the jokes tend to be not very funny. Even if there is the odd bright spark, when the majority of jokes in the episode are about the same thing ('what if...'), it gets tiring. Any episode that had the same kind of joke would get tiring. Holidays of Future Passed is guilty of this. The humour wasn't 'anti-humour' (i.e. OH GOD THIS IS SO CRINGEWORTHY, CHANGE THE CHANNEL), but I don't think I laughed, once. There were some alright background jokes, I guess. Like seeing all of the schoolkids grown up. Or some of the silhouettes in Moe's Tavern (Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes - now there's a joke they're running into the ground). However, they were more of a 'Heh, that's cool', than a 'Haha that's funny'. Some future episodes are more or less guilty of samey jokes than the others. Lisa's Wedding is probably the least guilty of it, hence why it is probably the best one.

The second reason I don't enjoy them is because well... I don't really care about the characters. That's not to say I don't care how they act or are characterised, I just don't care as much as usual what happens to them. The characterisation in this episode was not too shabby, to be fair. Homer was quite good. There was nothing much to complain about his characterisation. Marge was fine too. As for Lisa and Bart, there wasn't much that was wrong, either. I'm just thankful that Bart wasn't an irritating manchild like he was in Bart to the Future. Yeah, he was a bit of an immature deadbeat dad in this, but nothing compared to the loser he was made out to be in you-know-which-episode. Lisa, as I said, was fine. It was a bit depressing seeing her end up with Milhouse, but nothing that bothered me too much. So how about dem Simpsons grandchildren, eh? Sorta boring. Yeah. That's all there is for me to say about them, really.

The plot and execution of the premise was okay. As a future episode, it functioned how I expected it to. Probably the second best future episode, but that's not saying much, considering there are only four. So how did it function as a Christmas episode? It really wasn't anything special, and is probably on the lower end of the Christmas (episode) list. Though it was a Christmas episode, it didn't really feel much like one. The emphasis was mostly on the whole future aspect. With some more recent Christmas episodes, there just isn't much emphasis on Christmas at all (like Kill Gil - it's even questionable if that's a Christmas episode, as it only is at certain parts). This episode did show some signs of Christmas sprit. Like at the end 'You've taught us the true meaning of Christmas'. There was a problem with that line though - it felt very cheesy. They didn't make matters better by interrupting it with a weak joke. Maybe the trap that Christmas episodes have to beware is doing genuine emotion, without falling into stereotypical Christmas schmaltz land. Still, neither that mentioned line, or much else in the episode felt that genuine in terms of emotion. Neither the future part, or the Christmas part, did much for me.

Overall, there's one word that fits this episode quite well. Overrated. I can see the plus-sides to this episode, but in it's getting waaaaaaaay more praise than it deserves, in my opinion. It's probably one of the better episodes of the season (though I think I might have liked The Book Job more). However, it is no post-classic masterpiece. It is not the best future episode. It is certaintly not the best Christmas episode. It, in no way at all, is the best episode of the whole of the Jean-era (it's still Half-Decent Proposal). I didn't hate this episode. I don't wanna come across like Dead Homer's (like they know anything about Christmas episodes grumblegrumble....'Worst episode of the classic era?'...bah!.....grumblegrumble). This episode was okay. That's all it was though. Nothing spectacular. Just inoffensive. Nothing that was spectacular or that deserved special mention. Opinions, opinions, opinions. Seems that most people loved it. Not entirely sure why, but hey, there you have it.

3/5 or 6.5/10
    Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

while I play unfitting music CousinMerl's Avatar

I just finished watching this (last new episode I saw was the poor Treehouse Of Horror) and I must say that this is quite a quality episode; the future plot is fun and well-constructed and most of the jokes and gags are good (the majority of the various future gags work & the movie references are also pulled off quite nicely). The episode also has heart and it really feels like they put quite a bit of effort in this one, which is definitely proof that even in the current era of the show, they can churn out some really solid episodes.

5/5 by post-classic standards feels about right.

Well that was a nice surprise. The majority of gags were well-executed, the image of the future highly creative, and the characters in good and likeable form. I wish they were under pressure to deserve finale-quality episodes more often. I wouldn't go as far as the people that call this better than Lisa's Wedding, but it's easily number two as far as future episodes goes. I would also place it as the best episode of the HD era. It stands with Eternal Moonshine as IMO two gigantic outliers in the past seven seasons. That they make an episode of this level makes me frustrated they miss the mark so habitually the rest of the time. 4/5 (B)
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

Don't want to get hung up on the Ralph Wiggum thing; but I found him being Chief of Police to be funny and then the clones thing just got weird and ruined that scene for me.
    Bart and Lisa drunk was odd.

Glad to see quite a few freezeframe jokes in this episode

Overall a very good episode, fair bit of continuity which everyone always enjoys and the characters seemed to be organic - although Bart still isn't Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

P.s. Jebidah without a head
    Attachment 2090

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
    although Bart still isn't Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
    He still has time!

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    He still has time!
    It's going to happen. It can't not.

Before seeing this episode, I expected something still not so bad but never anything as good as this. I was hoping an episode centered on Maggie to learn more about her. This is not what we had but I think it could hardly have been better. I still have to say that this episode was written by J. Stewart Burns and he is for me the best writer of recent seasons. This episode is for me the best of the four episodes that happen in the future.

For originality, it was still easy to do something that is not like the other episodes because it happens in the future and as I said in the preceding paragraph, there are only four episodes in the future. At least they do not resemble any of those and it's an original idea in itself because it is very good and very creative. This episode can looks like an episode of futurama at times but there is still along in the theme of the serie. So the episode makes a lot of point for me for the originality.

The scenario of Holidays of future passed set also very good because it shows us three stories with each of the children of the Simpson family just as the original one than the other. On the side of Lisa, I am very glad to see that she's married with Milhouse because it's my favorite character and I am disappointed to not see him more in this episode as to what we have seen him, but he is less funny than he was at the age of 10 years old. For Bart, at least he's like in the episode Bart to the future of the season 11 although it is consistent with a previous episode. For Maggie, her story is very short but it has its place in this episode and the story is really fun to follow. I like the end of each of the three stories and I must say that the scenario is one of the best scenarios for season 13. It goes into my top 5 air Al Jean.

For gags, there are many in this episode! They are:

-Abe, who looks like Santa Claus because he had put the figure in the bowl of mashed potatoes.
    -The Itchy and Scratchy in hologram.
    -The computer that wants to know who the real father of the child that Maggie will have between three men.
    -Messages that Homer and Marge are in their heads (the bemail).
    -Ned, who says that Homer killed Edna and he's remarried with the ghost of Maude.
    -The airplane that maggie goes in.
    -Homer, who does not see his invisible clothes.
    -Snake robot and the Octuplets of Apu.
    -The bones of the dogs of Burns.
    -The advertising-with the stars in the sky.
    -The tree is alive.
    -The robots do not even love Patty and Selma as they are made for this.
    -The children of Apu the all had Octuplets.
    -Martin who has changed sex.
    -Doors-like in the movie monster inc.
    -All clones Ralph.
    -Lenny and Carl, who changed their brains.
    The cryogenic center.
    Maggie can't speck because someone always speck when she wants to.

Finally, I really loved this episode and I decide to give to it 4,25/5 but who knows, it could still go up!
    My Simpsons Season 24 Ratings/Reviews:
    Moonshine River (2,25/5) / Treehouse Of Horror XXIII (3,5/5) / Adventures in Baby-Getting (3,25/5) / Gone Abie Gone (3,5/5) / Penny Wise-Guys (3/5) / A Tree Grows in Springfield (1,75/5) / The Day The Earth Stood Cool (3,75/5) / To Cur with Love (4/5) / Homer Goes to Prep School (3/5) / A Test Before Trying (3,5/5) / The Changing of the Guardian (1,25/5) / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing (2,75/5) / Hardly Kirk-ing (3,25/5) / Gorgeous Grampa (2,25/5) / Black-Eyed, Please (3,75/5) / Dark Knight Court (3/5) / Pulpit Friction (3,25/5)

Futurama - Season 7 :
    The Bots and the Bees : 3,75/5 / A Farewell to Arms : 4/5 / Decision 3012 : 3,5/5 / The Thief of Baghead : 3,25/5 / Zapp Dingbat : 2/5 / The Butterjunk Effect : 2,5/5 / The Six Million Dollar Mon : 4/5 / Fun On A Bun : 3,75/5 / Free Will Hunting : 2,25/5 / Near-Death Wish : 3,75/5 / 31st Century Fox : 3,5/5 / Viva Mars Vegas : 4/5 / Naturama : 2,5/5

Banned
    Blog Entries

When I saw the switched brains thing I felt they were referencing the early episodes where they talked in different bodies. Surprised they didn't say "We changed brains again." or something.

We're out of time.

Masterpiece in the making. Possibly the most thoughtful episode in the series since Moe Baby Blues.

One of the best decisions David X. Cohen ever made when assembling the Futurama writing staff was hire J. Stewart Burns! This is one writer/producer who's got an incredible track record when it comes to truly standout episodes. And easily the best choice to write a future-based episode!

10 years ago, it was Roswell that ends Well. 8 years ago, it was Moe Baby Blues. Now we get another masterpiece.

It played like Lisa's Wedding, only packed with more jokes. Amazing character growth. Al Jean made a very smart call to simplify this episode. Despite the number of jokes and secondary characters, the plot was pretty simple and honest. It touched on some essential themes, and proved once and for all that there are still stories worth telling on this show, even after 500 episodes.

I have no idea how they managed to make Bart so endearing despite his deadbeat dad status. Kudos to Nancy for pulling such a nuanced performance and giving some much needed relevance to a charatcer who hasn't been used enough in recent years.

Gorgeous animation and use of colors. Rob Oliver outdid himself. And special kudos to Alf Clausen for this christmas orchestral rendition of the Simpsons theme at the end credits. That alone deserves an emmy.

Easily a 5/5. Season 23 may just outdo season 20, at this rate, and maybe even a lot of prior seasons.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

The ratings were obviously lower because of no Football lead-in, but they were better than I thought they would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    The ratings were obviously lower because of no Football lead-in, but they were better than I thought they would be.
    FOX played it cute with the marketing of this episode not tipping off any of the "future" elements or character designs in the advertising to keep them under wraps. My expectations is that they'll take a different tact and show highlight clips from "Christmas in Springfield 2041" when airing it again over the next couple weeks. If anything, the general public might not realize it's a rerun.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Season 23 may just outdo season 20, at this rate, and maybe even a lot of prior seasons.
    It's easily ahead of Season 20 at this point if you're just comparing the first nine episodes.
    In fact, you have to go back a number of years to find a season with a better opening run.
    Really, the only stinkers thus far have been the first THOH act and The Ten-Per-Cent Solution.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

Well, they certainly went hog wild with their creative "what-ifs" of looking into the future... but I can't say that an entire episode of wacky FUTURE! jokes is enough to make it good. The actual story was ok, but aside from a heartfelt moment between Bart and Lisa drunk on wine in the treehouse, nothing special. They just tried to cram way, WAY too much into one episode and like always, it felt like they were just trying way too hard to be funny. One joke I really liked though was Marge preparing to make cookies, and drops water on a "cookies" pill, making you think baked cookies would appear, only to have a recipe card appear. That type of fake out humor is straight out of the classic era.

3/5

Thread Information