View Poll Results: How would you rate "Treehouse of Horror XXII"?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Spider-Bite, Spider-Bite...Look out, here comes a Spider-Bite!

6 4.08%
  • 4/5: Good'ole Fashioned Vigilante-reno Justice!

14 9.52%
  • 3/5: Averagetar

31 21.09%
  • 2/5: Silent, but deadly.

40 27.21%
  • 1/5: Being Trapped under a Boulder was more enjoyable than this.

56 38.10%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Treehouse of Horror XXII" (NABF19)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Treehouse of Horror XXII" (NABF19)

Treehouse of Horror XXII, a Halloween episode that actually airs BEFORE Halloween:

"The Diving Bell and Butterball" - Homer is put into a coma by a spider, but can still communicate...through his farts

"Dial D for Diddly" - Ned becomes a vigilante by night

"In the Na'Vi" - Bart and Milhouse do Avatar...in Kodos and Kang's bodies
    also, Homer gets his arm trapped by a boulder, but when he calls 911, he gets someone with first-hand knowledge of the problem - Aron Ralston (who, in a similar situation, self-amputated his arm)

Blog Entries

just 40 more hours to go!

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    just 40 more hours to go!
    "looks at cellphone clock" Oops, I thought it was Sunday morning.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

You must really be excited for this one Jake

Seriously though you might want to put the link for the Sunday Night chat in the opening post.(Assuming those still happen)

The first segment started off decent enough, then went to shit. The second segment was fun, the intro was spot on and it was pretty good...well until the end happened. Ending of this segment was pretty bad. Third and final segment, I haven't watched Avatar, but I laughed at some parts. So weird to hear the words Sex, Testicles and Bitchin in The Simpsons.
    "Feel the wonder of 1 million fetus'" :lol
    But yeah, pretty average Treehouse of Horror, even after the golden era.

Blog Entries

Well that was dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

It had its moments, but meh.

The opening? Great. Homer chewing his legs and arms off was funny.

The first one had no real ending... Or story, for that matter. But, Homer's expressions made it tolerable. Not a fan of the farting thing. Leave flatulence to Family Guy.

The second had a tonne of potential but was done in the stupidest way possible (highlight was the Roadrunner joke). Personally, I think it would have been better to have Homer in the role of Dexter and have Flanders be suspicious of him... But oh well.

The third one just didn't work for me. The designs of the characters as Rigellians were great, as were some of the jokes with the animal species, but it just wasn't that funny to me.

But... Yale School of Prostitution? Excellent!

In recent years, the show has had an ending segment where all of the characters gather. It's usually not that funny, and this year was no exception. However, Grampa showing up and asking if they're still doing the Black Swan was fantastic.
    Last edited by McClure; 10-30-2011 at 04:45 PM.

The intro was squite good

I think the first two segment had interesting premise except they kinda became a whole lot of anything.

However the Avatar parody was spot-on (except the last line of the segment was really lame, thankfully Grand-pa made it really good)

Blog Entries

first act was pretty much nothing but homer farting over and over. suffice to say, pretty stupid. i did like the marge letter that eventually came out though. pretty much the most random/stupid segment of the show yet, which is in a way saying something.

second segment was OK. i would have liked to see a better reason for why ned was killing people and not just have it be him being tricked into doing it by homer. him burning the bible, the devil ordering god around, and maude's appearance were probably the highlights of this one (And none of those were even that funny or anything)

the avatar parody had the most laughs, and even then i didn't laugh much. the "don't you mean tentacles?" "I know what I said", the line about the girl alien getting warts from milhouse are the only two things i can think of that made me laugh.

underwhelming, to say the least. except for the first segment, i had somewhat high hopes. the Dexter parody was OK, but like i said i wish there was a reason for ned killing people. and the In The Na'vi segment was probably the funniest, but even then it wasn't that humorous. 2.5/5 or so. pretty average if not as little below

Blog Entries

Alright this one felt really weird. The first two segments felt like they were rushed without much of a real ending, anyway...

Intro: Was alright, Marge as the witch reminded me of her healthy snacks from THOH III.

The Diving Bell and the Butterball: Again, was alright. This one felt really short though. I did like Homer's book and Wiggum's comment on the fart-webs never looking the same. That Spider-Man joke it ended on reminded me of last week's South Park. Nothing great, 3/5

Dial D for Diddly: I've never seen Dexter, but I'm willing to look past Homer telling Ned to murder people since this was a Halloween show, otherwise...Liked Mr. Burns' three eyes, the Looney Tunes reference, God strangling Homer, and the Maude appearance. Ending was really rushed/abrupt/wacky, which I guess is alright for this kind of episode. 3/5

In the Na'Vi: I've still never seen Avatar but this one just seemed like the best to me. Chalmers had some good stuff like the robot going into the bigger robot. Didn't understand Krusty's design but the nazi line was alright. Speaking of Krusty, I liked his dad's random appearance. Bart's love interest was expectedly obnoxious. 3/5

I did like the ending on stage and Grampa's Black Swan reference. Overall this felt really forgettable though as I struggle to remember what I just watched. I'll play it safe and go 3/5.

PS: Sam Simon changed his Halloween name, Was this the first time?

PPS: Promo showed Sideshow Bob being electrocuted but I didn't notice it in the episode. Cut?
    Last edited by Oh, that's raspberry!; 10-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McClure View Post
    In recent years, the show has had an ending segment where all of the characters gather. It's usually not that funny, and this year was no exception. However, Grampa showing up and asking if they're still doing the Black Swan was fantastic.
    This ending segment reminded me too much of the ending of THOH IV.

Banned

I thought it started in 13 minutes?!? I'm in Scotland you see and I assume 8pm eastern would be 1am over here and it's 00:47 over here...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    PPS: Promo showed Sideshow Bob being electrocuted but I didn't notice it in the episode. Cut?
    i guess so. don't know if you noticed, but there was a picture of sideshow bob right next to mr. burns after marge walked in and said something about homer's enemies dying. sucks that that was cut

All I have to say is I'm Glad I didn't watch this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joe miller View Post
    i guess so. don't know if you noticed, but there was a picture of sideshow bob right next to mr. burns after marge walked in and said something about homer's enemies dying. sucks that that was cut
    Yeah I did notice that and I only saw the promo once so I could be wrong, but if there's a deleted scene like that on the Season 23 DVD in 2022 just remember you read it here first...

Introduction: Below average, the middle of this made me bored.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly parody: The worst Treehouse of Horror story ever. The premise was already doomed when I heard of it but the Spider-Man parody it took a sharp turn with made it especially bad. 1/5

Dexter Parody: A great story. Mr. Burns paying his fine by throwing it in the polluted lake cracks me up. Ned killing Patty and Selma with a boulder and then acting like the Road Runner was great. 4/5

Avatar Parody: Also great. The Bart/Milhouse rivalry was to me the highlights. The animals that double as weapons was really cool. 4/5

Overall I give this episode 3/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joe miller View Post
    If you listened, the paper showed Bob, and Marge said Mel.

Banned

That was pathetic. 1/5

Blog Entries

Did THOH segments used to just go out like a light without the slightest sense of conclusion? I know they used to end on unresolved terms in order to up the creepiness factor, but here it feels like they just didn't give a shit. The first two segments reeked of not knowing what to do with it's premise. I wasn't expecting the Ned story to be some full-blown dexter parody and even the idea they came up with was pretty good for it's own sake, but there was absolutely no care for execution. I was grateful the first segment didn't heavily rely on the communication through farting jokes (because I'm sure the staff would have had a million of em'), but the premise still jumped around alot. There was no real conflict. It was just "let's see what happens with another spider bite" and then it ended on some gag I can't even remember. In fact, I can't remember any part that was funny or inventive from this episode at all.

The last segment was probably the best I guess, but nothing to get excited about. It was better than we speculated, but it was still average for the late jean era, and that's not a compliment. I think the intro was better than all 3 segments to be honest and that's only because it was as interesting as it lasted (even if the leg sawing gag has been done before) and it actually had a satisfying ending. Overall though, I feel disappointed with these half-assed THOH's. It used to be that one time a year where the staff could get creative and stretch their legs with a halloween theme, but you can tell they don't care or have fun with it anymore. We need another THOH segment where we actually care about the characters before they end up dead or disfigured. Now it feels like each segment is driven not by the characters but by a greater premise, and that greater premise is not written good at all, so in the end it's just a bunch of stuff that happens. The characters come out at the end as if we're supposed to be satisfied with the classic shenanigans we got this year, but yeah, it just wasn't good. I agree though, Abe's line was nice.

Nothing cringeworthy terrible from what I remember, but still really bland material. THOH XX was actually well done for the jean era IMO, but I guess the writers can't find room for consistency. The first two episodes of the season are better than this. 2/5

some notes:

- the beginning of the Ned segment was a nice parody of the opening scene from the first episode of dexter. I think I liked it better than the morning routine parody

- Homer spelling out DEA felt very reminicent to the Breaking Bad finale

- good to see kang and kodos have still been in every THOH to date

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

The opening was kind of predictable, but somewhat amusing. As for the episode as a whole... Well.....

1st segment: Wow, the four year olds on the writing staff actually did an okay job with this one. As I predicted, the farting was very childish and not funny, although the sheep joke in this one kind of gave me a chuckle. My only major complaint is that the new four act structure made this seem very rushed. I mean, it just ended with Homer as Spider-Man. Big whoop. (C+)

2nd segment: This one had a good start, but when Ned found out Homer was "God" it turned into the show trying too hard to be insane and only went downhill from there. It had some good gags like the Yale School of Prostitution, but it was a mediocre Haloween story overall. (C-)

3rd segment: I never saw Avatar, so maybe that's why this one went over my head. To me, this seemed like nothing more than a string of really bad jokes and a poorly executed plot. Perhaps THE worst individual segment of the whole series. (F)

Overall Grade: D+

Would have gotten a higher grade if not for that stink-o third segment.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

"Treehouse of Horror XVIII" and this new one are now tied for the worst episodes of this anthology series. The opening was better than the three stories, which isn't a good sign at all. I was surprised at how much I liked the fist few minutes of the first story, but it fell off the rails so quickly. The Spiderman nonsense was just awful. Homer being paralyzed is actually a nice idea to inject into this series, but where do you go from there? Obviously, no one could figure anything out, so we got what we got. The second story wasn't very good either, but kudos for the three-eyed Mr. Burns and the Road Runner parody. I found the female alien's voice to be so grating that I had a hard time listening to that story. The bully joke was okay, but I didn't find much to really like there at all.

F

Blog Entries

This episode brought home some pretty funny halloween treats. "Dial D for Diddly" was probably the best segment. I liked the Roadrunner sequence. Paralyzed Homer as Spiderman was one of the biggest laughs the show has gotten out of me in awhile. The animation in this episode was very nice.

I might do a longer review later, but in short this ranged from meh-to-terrible.

Intro: Dumb, dumb, dumb. The arm-biting jokes were lame and it was just a giant waste of time. There has to be something worth doing with the first bit of the four-act structure.

Locked in a Dutch Oven Syndrome: Surprisingly the best segment of the night. I had my reservations about the fart-based humor, but they did something different and chancy by basing things around a paralyzed Homer. The family's reaction, the interactions with Marge and Lisa, and even the Brothers Karamazov references were surprisingly compelling. Of course, they pissed it all away with an uninspiring Spiderman-based ending that made no sense and just sucked all the air out of the segment.

Dexter Boredem: One of the dumbest, most nonsensical segments they've ever done. I'm a big Dexter fan, but beyond the parody of the show's opening credits it was a giant failure. Ned just giving in to a random voice is the sort of premise that suggests the writers have lost touch with the characters, even in a "what if" type of situation. The ending was out of nowhere, and the only decent laugh was "Yale School of Prostitution."

Kangatar A middling shot at an easy target. There were some good but obvious gags, and a lot of wasted time spent on random battle-animals, the bullies, and mech-on-mech action. When did all of the THoH episodes start having to include a movie parody? At least when they were parodying classics, the show felt like it was borrowing from greatness. Now that they're sending up semi-recent films, it just seems like an attempt at a witty retort that's far too little and far too late. Give us something original, or at least something a little less flavor of the month.

1.5/5
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Junior Camper

I thought the intro was the best part.

First segment: I agree with McClure. Leave flatulence to Family Guy. Just not that funny at all. D+
    Second segment: Started off really well, but it would've worked much better if Homer wasn't "God". (And having the speaker in the Bible (which presumably Ned would be reading every day) was a sloppy bit of writing.) B
    Third segment: Forgettable and not really Halloween-related. D

Overall, I'd give it a C-. It wasn't a total waste of time, but I was hoping for a lot more.

Just a couple of years ago I was finding new life in these Halloween episodes, but now, ugh.

This episode as a whole was way too obsessed with trying to parody as many things as possible. Right off the bat the intro had a Psycho parody and a 127 Hours parody. Either one of those could have been an entire segment, and they crammed them both into the first 3 minutes of the show. And yet the intro was still loads better than the first segment. It just got worse and worse the longer it went. I was wondering what a Diving Bell and the Butterfly parody has to do with Halloween, but I was willing to give it a chance, it had potential to be funny or at least different. Instead, we got fart joke after fart joke. This really could have been the worst segment in the history of the THOH specials, and that was before we even got to the completely rushed and lame Spider-man parody, complete with another tired joke about the Broadway show (I never thought I could get sick of poking fun at Turn Off the Dark, and yet here we are).

Thankfully the next segment was better, but not exactly good. Turning Ned into Dexter had some humor in it, and there could have even been some good stabs at the whole idea of people doing evil for their religion. But it just wasn't as dramatic or frightening as it needed to be. Ned's murders seemed so lifeless and bland, and that Road Runner parody was a low point. It was kind of funny to find out Homer was behind it all, but that led to a pretty humorless and labored climax with God, The Devil, and Maude.

The third segment was hands-down the best one, though still not great. For one thing, it was a parody of just one idea unlike the others, and even though I was rolling my eyes at the thought of an Avatar parody, I did find it amusing to see it was about the space aliens. Even so, some jokes were pretty repetitive, like Millhouse harming the planet and the final battle, while amusing at first, didn't need to last as long as it did. The female alien had a pretty annoying voice too. Though it is amusing that this segment managed to make better use of the precious material the humans were after more than the movie did with theirs.

This may very well be one of the worst THOH's ever. If past episodes were consistently bland or boring, this one had bright spots, but was outrageously bad at other points. This was not what I wanted to see considering it's been a while since the last new episode, and the Halloween specials are usually good for some fun. 2/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Blog Entries

oh boy parodies that are at least two to three years too late.

can't wait!
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV

I'm surprised "testicles" didn't get the show rated TV-14.

Besides being able to pass gas, Homer could move his eyes; why didn't Lisa use that to communicate with him?

In the finale, the detached head of Mr. Burns has three eyes (presumably caused by the nuclear waste he dumped into the lake).

HALLOWEEN SPECIAL CREDITS
    Created by BAT GROENING
    Developed by JAMES L. "WHAT ISN'T SCARY?" BROOKS / MATT GROENING / simonsam@twitTERROR

Executive Producer HALLOWIAN MAXTONE-GRAHAM
    Executive Producer SELMANIA
    Executive Producer OOOK! EEEK! FRINK!
    Co-Executive Producer KEVIN CURRAN, SENIOR V.P. GHOST RELATIONS
    Co-Executive Producer THE GRUESOME STEWSOME
    Co-Executive Producer MICHAEL: PRICE OF DARKNESS
    Co-Executive Producer PHIL OVERDOSENKIRK
    Co-Executive Producer BORN TO KILL MORE
    Co-Executive Producer SUSPICIOUS MOLE H. COHEN
    Co-Executive Producer Robsmary's LaBabynik
    Co-Executive Producer GUILLERMO DEL WARBURTON
    Co-Executive Producer JEFF FRIGHTSPOOK
    Co-Executive Producer PRION KELLEY
    Supervising Producer TREEHOUSE ADAMSON
    Consulting Producer TIMZILLA VS. KING LONG
    Consulting Producer BEWAREOLYN O' ME NAME
    Consulting Producer DONTE'S INFERNAL PAIN
    Consulting Producer DAN CATACOMB-NETA
    Producer MUTATED DNA GREANEY
    Producers TOM GAM HELL / SCARY SALES TAX PROSS
    Producer MIKE SKULL-EATER
    Producer DEMONSTRATIVE DAVE MIRKIN
    Producer THE REISS FROM 20,000 FATHOMS
    Consulting Producer DAVID SHIVERIN'
    Co-Producer VILE AND EVIL GARZA
    Supervising Director MISKATONIC B. ANDERSON
    Produced by RE-ANIMATOR RAYNIS
    Produced by THE LIAR, THE WITCH, THE WARHORSE
    Produced by HELL ON HEELS SIRKOT
    Produced by RICHARD SAKAI
    Written by CAROLYN? OH. MEAN, EH?
    Directed by MERCILESS MATTHEW FAUGHNAN

Executive Producer AL JEAN (the name crumbles away)
    Executive Producers JAMES L. "WHAT ISN'T SCARY?" BROOKS / MATT GROENING / simonsam@twitTERROR
    Starring THE CABINET OF DAN CALIGARI-NETA
    HOO-HOO-HOOLIE KAVNER
    NASTY NANCY
    YARD MY VAARK (with CENSORED stamped over it)
    HANK "OUT OF CLEVER NAMES" AZARIA
    and PHONE-HACKEY SHEARER
    Special Guest Voice JACKIE MASON
    Special Guest Voice ARON "I GAVE MY RIGHT ARM TO BE ON THE SIMPSONS" RALSTUMP
    Also Starring CRYPT DEAD-GERLY / MUMMIFIED MILHOUSE / TERATOID MACNIHLIST / MORBID MAGGIE ROSWELL
    Animation Producers TOMB KLEIN / JASPREET "THE BRIDE OF KATRIB" DHILLON / ANDREA BONE MARROW
    Animation Post Producer BONEY ISLAND POLIZZI
    Film Roman - General Manager DANA BOOTON
    Post Production Co-Producer DOMINIQUE BRAUD
    Animation Co-Producer RICHARD K. CHUNG
    Associate Producers FRIGHTLEESHA NALIBOOOOSKY-CAPGOBLIN / GHOSTY SAYS #blackactionsuit / 40 MILES
    Theme by half-Elf half-Man
    Music Disposed of by CLAW-SON'S HASTE MANAGEMENT
    Original Casting by (Skull & Crossbones)-FACTOR PIETILA
    Editors HENRIK OCH CATHRINE / DON OF THE DEAD BAROZZO
    Production Coordinator MESSY KILLER
    Post Production Assistant MICHAEL "OCTOBER 31" MITCHELL
    Dialogue Sound Editors MACKIN' HO / SCARY TERRY GREENE / NORMAN "BATES" MACLEOD
    Master of Musical Manipulation @mxedtr
    Sound Effects Editor TRAVIS SPOOKY POWERS
    Re-Recording Mixers DR. BENWAY / CASTA PAUL
    Creative Consultant BAT GROENING
    Executive Creative Consultant JAMES L. "WHAT ISN'T SCARY?" BROOKS

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Treehouse of Horror XXII

Okay, this years Treehouse of Horror is different in a way you'll never expect; or even want. You see... This years Treehouse of Horror consists mainly of non scary horror scores and tons of parodies not related to horror movies... Need further proof, even the opening is non-holloweeny. It starts off holloweeny with candy and something that's cute even though it doesn't feel organic, then it descends when Homer is sent to donate candy but it an expected twist, he takes the candy to a hill and walks off a cliff, all to the music of Psycho (it'd be nice if these parodies are subtler but whatever, there's no turning back now.)

If you thought that was bad, just wait until they rip off Scary Movie 4, except they do it 3 times and add in something additional for Homer to say D'oh, all while we expect a usual trick from the Simpsons writers and we get a holloweeny ending that wasn't even deserved.

Well if you thought that was bad, just wait you watch the three segments...

Happy Holloween!

The Diving Bell: We're parodying this for some reason...

The first segment, admittedly, it starts off alright and Homer getting bit by a spider was reasonable but it descends quickly when the farting starts. Lisa's understanding was a bit too quick and Lisa's smiling and stuff doesn't match how she feels when she opens the window, I mean she hates farts; why have her smile. The various fart jokes that follow all suck as it involves the following, guy farts and everything around him either dies or moves away as if it's a deadly gas... At least the letter he wrote is somewhat sweet though...

It seems like it's going to end in a good note with Homer reminiscing on his success, how he wrote a book and how he finally achieved bliss. But then, an obviously radioactive spider (they even showed us the Nuclear Power Plant if the glowing wasn't an obvious sign.) It then leads like he's going to walk again but... All of a sudden turns into a really lame Spider-Man parody where he fights crime but he's still paralyzed, then Marge appears and they fly by a parody of the musical that is designed to be as bland and obvious as possible.

I do have to say that Chief Wiggum's line marginally saved the entire ending but I didn't think of it as laugh out loud funny so I guess this entire segment ultimately was a waste.

1.5/10

Dial D for the Dexter parody we included to be relevant.

Like the guy said before, people killing for their religion had potential but I guess it's wasted since the only two references to religion doesn't even touch on that. Ned Flanders has instantly turned into the Dexter parody they made him into, and while I haven't watched Dexter; I can tell that they didn't even take the time to watch the show and do research, if they did; they can tell that Dexter has somewhat of a personality, that he's not just a senseless killer, and even then; most of the later episodes show more of a character that could of been parody well...

That lack of research leads to a very simple premise, Homer (as God) tells Flanders to kill various people (even people he doesn't know much) for no reason, well there are reasons for Patty and Selma (who are killed in a way that resembles a copy of a shitty Road Runner gag that nearly every other cartoon has done.) and maybe Mr. Burns but Jailhead, Sideshow Bob? What do they have against him, that would be Bart's department. So the scene which reveals Homer as God is done somewhat well but the argument between Bart and Homer does not feel as good as it could of been... (Also why did they add the speaker holes after the reveal and note before, I mean that could of been a good tell for all I know, and it'd show that the animators still care, guess not.)

This leads to Homer and Flanders in a possible showdown (I'm thankful that they didn't include the "I knew this would backfire" bit they played on the radio commercial.) following a conversation that is more pretentious then funny. It's going to lead to the showdown but instead of that, it leads to God appearing after Homer burns a bible (to fit into the whole parody thing) and killing Homer. It was more funny when God was an unseen presence then here... And after Homer is dead, it just devolves into God and a generic version of Satan and Maude (I want to know, did the actor portraying Maude return to the show or was her voice done by one of the Simpsons regulars.) and an argument that leads nowhere. When Ned says "Can't things get any worse..." An answer forms in my head... It does...

SIDE NOTE: The Prostitution school of Yale seems like it's good but it's not, it just seems that way, sorry...

1.0/10

Hey look, we're parodying Avatar!

FUN FACT: I actually watched Avatar and I remember of the movie so what I'm saying has some merit.

Not unlike how the planet was portrayed in Avatar, this version is very dull and sterile. We get some sense that they watched the movie but I'm guessing that they only watched it because it was popular and they needed to stay relevant (I mean how else can you explain the Avatar couch gag in the earlier season.) Chalmers (who seems to be always in the suit for some reason, even though he doesn't appear much at all until way, way later in the episode...) starts off well but then it quickly descends into a joke regarding Kansas and the other western states that never really comes across as funny; that somehow transgues into Bart being introduced as the wheelchair guy but his introduction lacks impact...

Speaking of which, anybody realize how Simpsons characters are playing the roles of some Avatar characters... Well it's Non-canon but they could of done things differently and it would of come across better I mean Lisa? What? I'm serious, I don't care if it's non-canon; it just doesn't work out well... What we do see after that scene which doesn't really work that we've seen on the internet is more representative of the sterileness that I mentioned before; everything seems like a city, sex is included and Milhouse suddenly appears for no reason... We do get the female alien and the alien lifeforms but the alien lifeform speaking felt like it was ripped from Futurama; seriously...

I have to say, it does copy the plot well and parody some points such as the sockets (which did seem a bit obvious and kind of sucked but whatever...) and the falling islands (which I admit, looked like it took effort and was somewhat clever); even sneaking in a quick save that is lampshaded with the girl believing anything. But I detest the nature thing being pushed in our face. See the brilliance of Avatar was that this nature stuff was subtle as shit, here; it's pushed in your face so much that it managed to trick one person into thinking that it's more explained then in the original movie.

Anyways, after a while we do reach the Hilarium (really Krusty, really...) which looks oddly like every glorious liquid from the adventure movies. This leads to an epic battle where the robots come in and then nature comes in to fight. There's a mention of this when Bart was with that girl but it would of been 10x better and 10x effective had they been entirely wrong... But instead we're treated to a fight where nature unlike Avatar involves animals, animals of animals destroying everything in sight; it may seem like an effective parody but it's not. The stuff involving Chalmers and another animal is the lamest thing I've ever seen, first it plays way for a bigger robot battle thing and then Bart comes in and somehow manages to manipulate Chalmers in a way that it'd blow my mind if it happened in the last episode, at least he yells Skinner even though he wasn't 5,000 miles near this episode...

Don't get me started on how it became a total hellhole after the battle is over, I mean it's all clean and serene the previous time but in the next shot it's a hellhole; I didn't see them doing any damage did you? Well no matter, this "parody" is over but oh wait, it ends with a recession gag involving the promotion of another holiday, Christmas! Which is only two months away (yeah, nice job being funny Simpsons.) The fact that it jokes about the economy and jokes about how much people spend on Christmas not only makes this ending the weakest ending of all time, but also the weakest ToH episode of all time. Seriously I was expecting it to end better.

1.0/10

So... The most scariest ToH ever yet right? Not even close. The producers and writers thought making a ToH the most non-holloweeny ToH ever was "clever" and "saterical" but I thought otherwise, in fact the only reason why they did it this way was because they were out of ideas for holloween stories and therefore had to rely on Dexter/Avatar parodies and Homer farting.

This episode is on full Jay Leno mode and it shows, most of the stuff shown here is pathetically bland and it doesn't even seem like they're trying. I can imagine the conversation that went on in Rasberry's head while this was playing...

Left side: You must criticize it, it sucks badly.
    Right side: No, it's a modern day Simpsons episode, it isn't bad.
    Left side: But it sucks, just look at it, just look at how bland it is...
    Right side: Your just jealous because you can't like the New Simpsons, it's the best thing since sliced bread.
    Left side: But just look at it, look at it!
    Rasberry: Enough! I'm not going to listen to either of you, I'll just put up a 3/5 and be out...

Funny thing is, it isn't deserving of a 3, or even a 2. The episodes that were rated 3 had some good stuff in it and managed to handle itself well, the episodes that were rated 2 have some good stuff but tons of stuff that hindered the good. This has no potential, no good stuff, no best segments, even the scary credits stuff, it's blasmephy! In fact, in the 23 years this show has been on; I don't think there's been the absolute worst ToH episode... Until now; this. is. the. worst. ToH. episode. ever. There is no need for anybody to watch this, in fact it'd be best if you pretended it didn't exist. Avoid this at all costs.

1.0/10
    Last edited by Zombies Rise from the Sea; 11-02-2011 at 03:59 AM.

Banned

I shall try and give a critique on why I gave it a 1/5...

Intro - Not funny. The whole 'Aaaagh vegetables!' thing died around about the time Scully decided to destroy the show's soul.

1st segment - Actually thought the idea of a parody of an intensely emotional and fantastic film was good and even the farting communication bit wasn't too bad but the spiderman thing? WHAT THE FUCK? Ruined it completely!

2nd segment - Don't know if I'm the only one but it felt SO DAMN SHORT! Like okay the beginning was cool but then it turned out Ned was "being ordered by God" that turned out to be Homer's voice...the killings were random and not realistic to even be considered slightly scary, the sight of Maude was meh but kudos for the Yale Prostitution joke.

3rd segment - Never seen nor want to see Avatar but despite that I expected to be entertained, boy was I wrong! Decent idea making Bart and Millhouse Kang and Kudos-esque but they were involved in a muddled storyline which resulted in a lame 'war' between humans and aliens, an annoying female alien and a desperate attempt to be "edgy" with the word 'testicles' used, just quite pathetic.

End was okay and Abe's line made me smile but without making me laugh and that is why I gave this episode 1/5 and in conclusion it is the worst of the entire 22 THOH's ever created.
    Last edited by Bleedin' Gums Murphy; 10-30-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Don't really know what to say. Didn't they do the same Christmas ending in Treehouse of Horror IV? Better than last year's. Romance story between lisa and a vampire < romance story between Bart and an alien I guess. 1/5

Thread Information