View Poll Results: How do you rate "500 Keys" (NABF14)?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Keys to the Kingdom

25 28.09%
  • 4/5: A Key Player

17 19.10%
  • 3/5: Slightly off Key

28 31.46%
  • 2/5: Lock'em up and throw away the Key!

15 16.85%
  • 1/5: I'll Key your Car

4 4.49%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review "500 Keys" (NABF14)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review "500 Keys" (NABF14)

Lisa tries to unravel the mystery of the mysterious classroom underneath Springfield Elementary that disappears after Lisa unlocks its door with the set of keys to every door in town.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 05-19-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

No longer creepy Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

R&R: 500 Keys

Nobody has opened this thread yet. If it's been opened by the time I post this, you can lock it.

I was confused by this episode. It jumped from one plot point to the other. It could have easily done without the C Plot. Some of the jokes were truly hilarious, but some went on too long. It was easy to tell that guy was Otto, and overall, this episode was just strange. 2/5.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted The Telltale Head 2: Bart Gets an F The War of the Simpsons 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious Lisa's Date with Density 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want

The Past is in The Past Skylark Jones's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i wondered when someone would make a new thread.

anyways i liked this episode. bart trying to cause mischief, and failing, and lisa's plot with the classroom, were my favorite parts. homer in the blimp was alright (i think it would've been funnier if he texted chacha instead of lenny), and marge's plot bored me (but the scene in the irritable bowel meeting was humorous). otherwise there was nothing really wrong with the episode. the nelson joke with him repeating that same thing got old quick, but oh well. 4/5. pretty decent episode imo in terms of plot and comedy

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Loved it!
    UP AND ATOM!

Gotta admit, wasn't too interested or impressed with the episode. More than a few plot points and jokes were predictable, and for a multi-story episode idea, none of the stories were fun or interesting to me.
    Signature.

There's already a thread made.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah alright, if the other thread is eventually opened I can just copy me impressions in there.

Anywho I really liked this episode. The plots were reminiscent of format-bending episodes like Trilogy of Error. Every Simpson had a pretty good story to tell and I thought many jokes hit. I laughed pretty hard when Bart hoped nobody heard Gil call him his naked fairy savior, or something like that, and the next scene Mayor Quimby was calling him it. Lisa's story was a bit lighter on laughs but it was interesting. The mystery man who helped her was obviously Otto from the start. I didn't care too much for the mystery itself though, but it wasn't bad. Liked the resolution with the train and Homer having to buy Marge a new anniversary gift. Scorpio flying intro gag was also pretty good.

Didn't like the umbilical chord joke, found it pretty bad. Nelson repeating himself got annoying pretty fast as well. Harry Shearer's Otto also sounded pretty terrible here.

4/5 on the poll. Not the best, but in this season I'll take it.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Duff Brewery was a highlight. I love episodes that stay in Springfield and move about the town. Brings me back to the good ol days of that Virtual Springfield computer game.

Not groundbreaking, but each story was a lot of fun and the concept came naturally. I'll need to freeze frame Homer's job keys.

I hardly remember Seasons 14 through 16 and I've barely seen any episodes from Seasons 17 through 22, but I remain fairly confident that there's no gag in the history of the show worse than Brandine and the umbilical cord. That was like the anti-funny.

I can't shake the feeling that this episode was trying to be "22 Short Films About Springfield", but didn't have the chops to pull it off. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either - it just sat there, begging me to laugh at it. Every so often, a potentially good joke would come along and then fall flat on its face. For instance, Chief Wiggum being too fat to bend over ("Stuff on the ground is outside my jurisdiction") and not being able to apprehend Snake crawling between his legs could have been funny if it had stopped there...but then he has to lose his hat, and his pen, and his pants, and then his high school girlfriend has to walk by. Sorry, writers, you killed it.

All the money this show makes, I'm surprised they can't splurge on better CGI. There was a lot of it in this episode, especially on the Duff blimp, and it all looked like something out of a PlayStation 1 cutscene.

I think the only big laughs I got were from Homer sucking the frosting off Maggie's head, and Nelson making a wooden "Haw Haw" in shop class. It says a lot about the writing quality of an episode when only the sight gags make me laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips
    Fuck typos Im drunhk.
    My DeviantArt.

Lisa sure has a habit of finding secret closets that disappear when she tries to expose them to others.

Just putting it out there - I thought the umbilical cord joke was maybe the best gag in the episode.

Blog Entries

i forgot about the brandine gag. probably a good thing. that was disgusting and not funny imo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Just putting it out there - I thought the umbilical cord joke was maybe the best gag in the episode.
    I really hope that's sarcasm.

I compared this episode to other format benders but rest assured when I say it was nowhere near as good as them. Its just that this is probably in the upper echelon of Season 22 episodes, not that that's saying much of course.

EDIT: I also laughed at both of Lisa's obsolete detective book characters thought bubbles and Homer and Bart's exchange in the blimp, particularly Homer calling him spoiled. So there were some good jokes here.

5/5

500 Keys = 500 Laughs

This episode centered on a lot of wackiness which is what you would expect for a format bending episode. Lisa has a lot of the spotlight here, but Homer, Marge, and Bart also are portrayed well. I thought the secret room was the most fascinating part of the episode. I actually thought the sunken bus was going to have real kids that drowned and was surprised when it was revealed they were mannequins. There was also a cool callback with the epilogue.

In the opening introduction, we saw Lisa playing a violin in band practice. I am beginning to wonder if this is going to become a new variation in the opening sequence such as next week we could even see Lisa playing an accordian?

Blog Entries

i also just remembered, at the end of act 3, when lisa is falling into the river/lake, whatever it was. at first, she is screaming, then she sees the bus and isn't screaming anymore. uh... surely if you saw a bus in water you were about to fall into, you'd scream harder than you originally were, wouldn't you? with the thought that there could be bodies in there or something? i mean she started screaming at the beginning of act 4, but at the end of act 3, when she sees the bus, she seems to have a somewhat satisfied look on her face, no doubt of course from finding the bus, but... come on, wouldn't one continue to scream, if not screaming louder, at the thought of seeing a bus in water you were just about to fall into?

Blog Entries

I liked the bit with the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    500 Keys = 500 Laughs
    Please list all 500 times that you laughed.

Well this episode was an absolute shitload of fuck.

1/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Wellington View Post
    i also just remembered, at the end of act 3, when lisa is falling into the river/lake, whatever it was. at first, she is screaming, then she sees the bus and isn't screaming anymore. uh... surely if you saw a bus in water you were about to fall into, you'd scream harder than you originally were, wouldn't you? with the thought that there could be bodies in there or something? i mean she started screaming at the beginning of act 4, but at the end of act 3, when she sees the bus, she seems to have a somewhat satisfied look on her face, no doubt of course from finding the bus, but... come on, wouldn't one continue to scream, if not screaming louder, at the thought of seeing a bus in water you were just about to fall into?
    It's a joke. Not a particularly good joke, but a joke.

Also, Lisa has played the violin in the intro before and its returned to saxophone the next week. Granted the episodes where they change her instrument appear to be chosen at random.

Blog Entries

but how is it a joke? lisa screaming, and then not screaming when she saw the bus, it didn't seem like a joke, it just seemed like a way for them to end the act, by having lisa find what she was looking for. like the end of act 2 to lisa the iconoclast; it ended with them all gasping looking at the grave of jebediah springfield. there's no joke or anything, and i think this act's ending follows that

Blog Entries

Pretty sure they've done it before, the humor is supposed to come from the fact that she saw something she was looking for and became excited enough to forget her peril and ooooo at the site, if only for a moment. Again, not funny but that's the thought behind it.

Blog Entries

oh, i just saw that as a way of ending the act, and having it end on the note that lisa had found what she was looking for. i didn't think there was a joke behind it

Blog Entries

I guess I could be over analyzing but that's how I interpreted it anyway.

4 of 5 "doctors" recommend bartyboy's Avatar

was that the first time we've seen duffman's ass?

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    It's a joke. Not a particularly good joke, but a joke.

Also, Lisa has played the violin in the intro before and its returned to saxophone the next week. Granted the episodes where they change her instrument appear to be chosen at random.
    Nope, this was the first time she's played the violin. She's played the trumpet in the opening twice before.
    Last edited by JoshG; 05-15-2011 at 08:58 PM.

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A pretty meh "trilogy of error" type of episode that revolved around a secret classroom conspiracy while Homer, Marge, and Bart have their own weak storylines. What was supposed to be the payoff was when these stories tied back together in the end, but it was SO easy to do considering Homer, Marge, and Bart's subplots consisted of them just dicking around until they were needed. I would forgive this if we actually got some consistently decent material, but it was more of a mixed bag.

For starters, Marge chasing a toy around the town felt like that balloon subplot from "Pygmoelian" except it was a vehicle for lame, dragged out fart jokes. I mean Ned trying to explain what was making the farting sounds so his sons wouldn't think it was him felt like a deleted scene. Wiggum not being able to pick things off the ground was a weird one too. Nothing really registered with me here.

As for Bart, it starts off with the mailbox scene which ends with Bart pleasing people. Perhaps this is just a nitpick, but this subplot could have worked without the character actually initially explaining what the premise was going to be about ("I tried to do bad and ended up doing good"). We can understand this on our own. I did like the mooning scene and the line "They'll never expect to see a moon in the sky". Even Bart's reaction to Gil's "fairy" comment was handled well. He was in good form for a while, but then towards the end when he lights up at the idea of stomping Homer, followed by hitting him over the head with a fire extinguisher, was just tasteless for his character. I don't understand why the writers characterize him like that. I'm with Homer. Bart's a jerk.

The best line of the episode was Barney's "The guys back at AA are never gonna believe this!" Also him writing the blimp text was a good reveal. Homer's story from then on just came off a bit too much like "captain wacky's subplot!" The "easter eggs" of him flying around when other family members were having their scenes felt forced. There wasn't really terrible material by any means, but it was just basically a pilot for average jokes until it was needed for the plotline towards the end.

When it all came together, it didn't have that criss-cross bow-tie type of flow that leads all the stories towards the conclusion. Instead, Homer randomly appears when they need a ride, and the toy randomly appears when they need saving. Lisa's story was the most interesting, but like Gone Maggie Gone, nothing really made sense. It unfolded in a rather choppy manner. It begins with her finding the room which is fine, but then when they go there to find it's just a bookshelf, the animation of Skinner shifting his eyes are shown. It would have been cool if he actually didn't know about it, because "the guy who runs the school is in on the conspiracy" angle is too predicable.

Of course, the story does hold it's own, considering the the end result of it is pretty unexpected. The only thing that I don't understand is why Otto all of a sudden has this past that haunts him that has never been shown throughout the entire series, but conveniently comes to the foreground during the same time when Lisa discovers the room? Why is he writing "bus 23" or whatever on the blackboard by himself? They don't tell the audience his motivation or what he's trying to gain from that. Also, Lisa falling out of the blimp was a lame way to progress the story. Maybe not on paper, but the way it happens just felt forced.

Overall the episode began with promise. I liked the conflict of Maggie stuck in the car being the thing that sparks the episode, but then things just didn't live up to it's potential. The gags were mixed between good, bad (Homer sucking Maggie's head), and alot of dragged out ones. I wanted to like this episode. The description sounded compelling, but it wasn't anything special. I did like Homer calling Bart spoiled, and the callback gag to the anniversary gift question. I'm glad the dead kids were just mannequins. The whole idea of a fake classroom setup was a fun twist. The episode just flowed sloppily and the ending was abrupt. 2/5

The couch gag was neat. Did the credits of last week's episode mispell the Kristen Schaal's (however you spell it) name? Is that what the chalkboard gag references?
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 05-15-2011 at 06:09 PM.

No longer creepy Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nobody mentioned this, but I thought the couch gag was pretty clever. I like it when they're just short little jokes. Badda-bing, badda-boom, on to the episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
    Nope, this was the first time she's played the violin. She's played the trumpet in the opening twice before. First time was the Ireland episode from season 20. Second time was sometime earlier this season. A few episodes ago actually.
    Really? Well I knew she played some other instrument before and I can't really see a pattern to it.

EDIT: Also, lionelhutz I agree with much of your post but I can actually picture classic-era Bart doing that to his father. He was quite the little hellraiser. Also, your 2/5 grade doesn't matchup with your opinion. Unless 2/5 is a C because you come across as finding the episode to be done sloppily, but average overall.

Wow, I was really impressed with that episode. I found all of the different plotlines to be entertaining and quite funny. I can't remember the last time an episode had that many laugh out loud moments. The main plot was also very interesting and it kept me involved in the episode all the way until the end. Also, Hank Scorpio in the opening was great. My personal favorite episode of the season. 5/5

I thought it was pretty poor, considering last weeks fantastic episode.
    Doesn't mean it's true

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Nobody mentioned this, but I thought the couch gag was pretty clever. I like it when they're just short little jokes. Badda-bing, badda-boom, on to the episode.
    i actually missed the opening, what was the couch gag/billboard gag/chalkboard gag?

first to help me will be rewarded the only way i know how; a thumbs up

Thread Information