View Poll Results: How do you rate "Homer Scissorhands"? (NABF13)

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: The Mullet

31 32.29%
  • 4/5: The Afro

35 36.46%
  • 3/5: The Crew Cut

14 14.58%
  • 2/5: The Soup Bowl

9 9.38%
  • 1/5: The Rachael

7 7.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Homer Scissorhands" (NABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

4/5. Save for a few poorly timed gags, it was a interesting well-though out story. Enjoyed Lisa's plot the most.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Wellington View Post
    whatever they do. it's not a crime to like new episodes. it's actually refreshing to see so many positive reviews on this site, and this episode definitely deserves it IMO. even people giving it a 3/5, that's obviously better than a 2/5 Or 1/5
    I gave this a 4/5, but that’s based on the show from Seasons 17- Present.

Compared to the first 8 seasons, this would barely be a 2/5, and that’s not out of Nostalgia, or crying for my childhood, or whatever CBG snark you throw at me. Just because a new episode isn’t shit terrible like “The Greatest Story Ever D’ohed” doesn’t mean it’s the second coming of the Simpsons. Having two episodes a season "that kinda sorta maybe come close to Season 13-15 quality" isn't a bragging right.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 05-09-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darren.Erg View Post
    I can't believe so many people are saying that Milhouse's song was a bad gag. It was the highlight of the episode for me and felt like a classic Milhouse moment.
    That scene screamed: "See, he said "everything's coming up Milhouse!" and then he "Rose up on an eagle", you get it? THAT'S THE JOKE!!!"

What should've happened was after Milhouse fell off the ledge we see Lisa's fearful reaction and then we hear Milhouse off-screen weakly mumble: "Everythings's coming up Milhouse...uhhh". That would've complimented his line "How miserable do I have to be" line perfectly. Even when Milhouse wins, he STILL looses and that's how the writers should've handled his ending, IMO.
    Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

meh I thought it was funny and a decent call back gag. The show usually fucks up on its callback gags so this one surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    That scene screamed: "See, he said "everything's coming up Milhouse!" and then he "Rose up on an eagle", you get it? THAT'S THE JOKE!!!"

What should've happened was after Milhouse fell off the ledge we see Lisa's fearful reaction and then we hear Milhouse off-screen weakly mumble: "Everythings's coming up Milhouse...uhhh". That would've complimented his line "How miserable do I have to be" line perfectly. Even when Milhouse wins, he STILL looses and that's how the writers should've handled his ending, IMO.
    Not to be insulting, but honestly, it's times like these when I really understand why the show's writers shouldn't listen to their fans at all, no matter how sure of themselves they are. I felt this was a callback gag that was timed pretty perfectly since this time we felt good for Milhouse. In fact, is this the first time "everything's coming up Milhouse!" has been referenced since "Mom and Pop Art"? It's kind of cool because I find this is a line that sort of snuck by as being one of the last classic quotable Simpsons lines. Anyway, I feel like your idea is predictable, whereas the writers' move with the eagle was unpredictable, right after a boldly unpredictable change in what we expected from the two characters. They earned the triumphantly wacky eagle, after Milhouse got something totally unpredictable.

It was a great moment, imo, which would have been tarnished if he had hurt himself physically in the process. The eagle was totally acceptable, because we, the audience, felt really good for Milhouse at the moment (like this post if you agree).
    Last edited by Tomacco; 05-09-2011 at 09:29 PM.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    They earned the triumphantly wacky eagle, after Milhouse got something totally unpredictable.
    Being unpredictable is not synonymous with 'excellence,' regardless of "how sure of one self" is. :buttsex: The eagle randomly elevating Milhouse is like having a man randomly appear from off screen handing Homer a winning lottery ticket after they just figured out how to pay the mortgage. It's random, it's unexpected, and even if we 'feel' for Homer and Marge's arc in the plot, but things appearing out of nowhere are too easy and contrived.

It was a great moment, imo, which would have been tarnished if he had hurt himself physically in the process. The eagle was totally acceptable, because we, the audience, felt really good for Milhouse at the moment (like this post if you agree).
    But what makes Milhouse "Milhouse" is he's an lovable, awkward failure. When he's being his geeky, awkward self it's funny to us, but when he wins in neat and tidy, bow-tie ending like in this episode, it takes away from Milhouse's character. Obviously, I don't want him to suffer, be maimed, die, etc, but a flawed ending would've been much more believable than the perfect ending (and a down to earth ending would've complimented the structure of "Siccorhands" better since Homer's story was the wacky one).

BTW, if the writers want to have a perfect 'happy' rapport between the Milhouse and Lisa, at least save it for the final episode. Where do they go from here?

Being unpredictable is not synonymous with 'excellence,' regardless of "how sure of one self" is. :buttsex: The eagle randomly elevating Milhouse is like having a man randomly appear from off screen handing Homer a winning lottery ticket after they just figured out how to pay the mortgage. It's random, it's unexpected, and even if we 'feel' for Homer and Marge's arc in the plot, but things appearing out of nowhere are too easy and contrived.

But what makes Milhouse "Milhouse" is he's an lovable, awkward failure. When he's being his geeky, awkward self it's funny to us, but when he wins in neat and tidy, bow-tie ending like in this episode, it takes away from Milhouse's character. Obviously, I don't want him to suffer, be maimed, die, etc, but a flawed ending would've been much more believable than the perfect ending (and a down to earth ending would've complimented the structure of "Siccorhands" better since Homer's story was the wacky one).

BTW, if the writers want to have a perfect 'happy' rapport between the Milhouse and Lisa, at least save it for the final episode. Where do they go from here?
    Unexpected might not work in some cases i.e Homer getting handed a lottery ticket because that would be a large plot device and would seem to be an easy way out. This was a one off gag which was a nice callback to as Tomacco said one of the last classic Simpsons lines.

I happen to think this was a much better ending because I sort of like for once in his life Milhouse was able to catch a break and it actually lasted the entire episode's run. I do like him at his geekiest but I do think he deserves to get at least one break and him getting shit on all the time I think gets a tad repetitive.

I'm a little worried where the writers might take their relationship. They're probably going to just revert back to the status quo and pretend nothing happened.

I though this was a very solid and fun episode; the majority of the jokes and the gags worked really well and the characterizations were practically perfect. The central plot about Homer as a hair stylist was a pretty simple plot but it succeeded and the Milhouse/Lisa subplot was a nice addition. Overall, it was some time since I last saw a brand new episode of the show and the quality of this one was a nice surprise.

I think 4.5/5 by current era standards seems about right.

I liked it a lot. Like, I have no complaint. They didn't even put a music montage in this one! I actually found myself smiling through most of the episode; the moments with Milhouse and Taffy were cute, and obviously between Homer and Marge & Lisa and Milhouse were great. And Homer's subplot was as good as the main plot. This season has had eyes literally popping out of skulls and "Fit Tony", but I actually like it despite having had some bad moments. I mean there have certainly been way less "cringeworthy" bad jokes and episodes compared to say, seasons 20, 17 or 11. This is possibly the best post classic season for me.

I laughed hard at "Everything's coming up Milhouse!" and Moe with "killer" as a caption, followed by all the creepy duff signs.

5/5, easily.

I felt this was a callback gag that was timed pretty perfectly since this time we felt good for Milhouse.
    We felt good for Milhouse? His relationship wasn't shown to have any faults at all. In fact, it showed how he immediately was over Lisa as he didn't rush to lift her books. However, when Lisa appears at the end of this plot, suddenly he's dumped because he'll never get over her, even though that's never even implied.
    Yet, we're supposedt to feel good because Lisa was jealous enough to kiss him but won't even confirm if she likes him?

I didn't feel good for Milhouse, I felt let down as part of the audience.

Anyway, I feel like your idea is predictable, whereas the writers' move with the eagle was unpredictable, right after a boldly unpredictable change in what we expected from the two characters. They earned the triumphantly wacky eagle, after Milhouse got something totally unpredictable.
    It was entirely predictable that they would return to the status quo at the end of the episode. That doesn't "earn" them the right to go "Family Guy" in terms of wackiness.

This moment probably will go the way of Selma's liposuction.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Krikt View Post
    This moment probably will go the way of Selma's liposuction.
    I know, but what ya'gonna do? Good post, BTW.

I liked it mostly. Milhouse is one of the only characters that's never really degraded much, if at all after all these years so it's usually at least decent when they use him (which the damn movie should have done to begin with instead of pussying out with Colin.), and even if it's retread territory to an extent I do think the idea of Milhouse maybe not being as pathetic as Bart/Lisa like to think was really worth revisiting. They've kind of gone out of their way lately to put Lisa's more annoying traits in the front lately and it's usually kind of hamfisted, but it sort of worked here. It kinda makes how she treats Milhouse make sense now (even if the idea of kids this young dealing with post-adolescent stuff like this takes some reaching.). So basically like I've always said, both Bart and Lisa kinda need Millie more than he needs them in a way.

But Homer's little escapade was great too. Everything he said was great, and for some reason that kind of indignant look he has in the ending was making me laugh more than anything else. I can't explain it. My only gripe is that Loui-, "Taffy" left Milhouse so suddenly and with no build up...I don't know if she and Lisa even had any contact so it was very plot convenient. Milhouse just having to rephrase the famous line of his was a bit hammy too but it's sort of fitting too so it's a pass. It's a solid episode all and all, the only complaints I've ever really heard so far is just stuff related to the show being old, on it's own merits I think I could easily see this in

Here's that delusion Homer had incase someone wanted it framed. If you ask me the real reason he was more upset over the fact he can't get the animators to update his hair like wiggum, the idea of eating pizza backwards, and stupid flanders' creepy I watch you sleep stare.

Blog Entries

all the praise in this thread convinced me to watch the episode

I guess the milhouse story might've worked if they'd cut the godawful homer story and two minute opening. that could've freed up some time for the writers to give the story room to breathe, give the girl a personality, actually show things instead of just dumping it all in exposition, and maybe make the characters seem human instead of mannequins going through the motions. how is it that phineas & ferb, a children's show, can cram three plots and a song into 11 minutes while the simpsons suffocates under the weight of two in double the time?

there were several jokes I liked: marge making a bigger hole in the window after looking at homer in the couch gag, homer silencing maggie, moe's reaction to homer's complaint, one of nelson's weasels being named "weasel" on whatever that kid facebook site was

remember when I said episodes nowadays "are lazy wish fulfillment stories where the simpsons are super-talented and win at everything?" this episode's a perfect example. it wasn't "homer screaming for 20 minutes"-terrible but it wasn't good either. just your usual phoned-in watered-down pablum that has inexplicably remained on the air for literally a decade now

Milhouse definately had some good laughs in this episode. The callback "everything's coming up Milhouse" joke was great and instantly brought back good memories. Also the Finding Nemo first chapter joke was hilarious to me. It's just a classic Milhouse overparenting thing. This episode was even better on the second watch through.

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tomacco has a point, the eagle does fit into the emmotional scheme of the moment. But it's still stupid and unfunny, beacuase it is implausible. If Milhouse were to hit an eagle on his way down the edge, he would have injured the bird and taken it down with him. And you know what, that would have been alot funnier too, especially with the right timing.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

Guys, just once in a while, can't you just relax and not get all "Itchy & Scratchy CD-Rom" about the implausibility of a falling child hitting a bird, or what would make a better conclusion than what we got? It was a sweet moment, with a nicely surreal wacky little tag moment where a triumphant Milhouse literally soars above on a bird, as Lisa cheerfully watches and smiles. It's an innocent, sweet little scene.

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

I just remembered a joke that did annoy me from this episode: the visual of Homer's brain as a superball or whatever. It worked up until they actually showed it squeeze out of his ear and bounce away. Then, it went from being a funny visual gag/metaphor of Homer's stupidity to "so wait, did it actually bounce away then or what?"

One time, I had a dream that I was watching a new Simpsons episode and was appalled because in my dream, Nelson's brain popped out of his head and bounced away. Then I woke up and thought "nah, they wouldn't do that, would they?" Well, now my dream has been answered. It was quick so it wasn't a big deal or anything, unlike eyes popping out of their skulls, but still stuck out in my mind as yet another example where I wish the writers would use the "less is more" philosophy in their writing.
    "Itchy & Scratchy CD-Rom"
    ?
    I should know this, but what are you referencing?

Blog Entries

This is a first for this season but i enjoyed this episode
    4/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous View Post
    I should know this, but what are you referencing?
    He said we (the people who didn't like the ending for whatever reason) are all anal-retentive nerds who should just shut up and be happy with what the show gives us.

It was a sweet moment, with a nicely surreal wacky little tag moment where a triumphant Milhouse literally soars above on a bird, as Lisa cheerfully watches and smiles. It's an innocent, sweet little scene.
    <insert obsessed fans are always bitchy, and writers are always right comment here>

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

No I mean, specifically the "CD-ROM" thing

Blog Entries

It's a ref to the "Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show" :

Database: "Uh excuse me, Mr. Simpson. On the Itchy and Scratchy CD-ROM, is there a way to get out of the dungeon without using the wizard key?"

Homer: "What the hell are you talking about?"

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really nice episode. It was refreshing how much the plot elements flowed together with this one... Not too much that came out of left field or wasn't related to anything else. Homer's story felt like a logical progression of events.

And it was nice to see a little more insight into the Lisa/Milhouse relationship. I was worried it was going to get really melodramatic and fanfictiony, but they managed to keep it pretty light. 4.5/5.

I'm guessing related to that specific question about the I&S CD-ROM game about whether you get out of some place without using a key.

EDIT: Or you could listen to Jake's response, who beat me to the punch.

I'm kinda mixed on the whole eagle thing because I'm not really in love with the idea of him riding an eagle... It's a little too cartoony for my taste. But, at the same time, I was totally expecting him to fall off that thing. So it would've been super-predictable and lame if they would've gone back to that well again.

One of the regular complaints with New Simpsons is that all the characters are stereotyped cardboard cut-outs... But then when they do something different with a character, people complain anyway. Do we really need another "LOL, Milhouse just can't win" gag?

The bird wasn't that bad. A little wacky, but the show has always been a little wacky, even in the early years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    Do we really need another "LOL, Milhouse just can't win" gag?
    It's all in the execution. We could also argue if we needed another "Homer's newfound talent lands him a job" plot #356, but people seemed to enjoy it.

Her and Cigarettes Squeaky Voiced Teen's Avatar

Yeah I thought this episode was okay. Like most people I just wish they would've cut down a little on the Homer plot so they could flesh out the Milhouse plot. Not a lot that was too funny, but only one or two cringe worth gags so that was good.

The couch gag was the best part.
    I've been working like a Japanese prisoner of war. But a happy one.

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's all in the execution. We could also argue if we needed another "Homer's newfound talent lands him a job" plot #356, but people seemed to enjoy it.
    I agree that good execution make a repeat gag less noticeable... But still, after years and years and years of doing this kind of gag, it sets a really high bar for the joke. The novelty of the concept is gone so if you're going to do the joke, then it better be a really clever one.

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jims View Post
    I'm kinda mixed on the whole eagle thing because I'm not really in love with the idea of him riding an eagle... It's a little too cartoony for my taste. But, at the same time, I was totally expecting him to fall off that thing. So it would've been super-predictable and lame if they would've gone back to that well again.

One of the regular complaints with New Simpsons is that all the characters are stereotyped cardboard cut-outs... But then when they do something different with a character, people complain anyway. Do we really need another "LOL, Milhouse just can't win" gag?
    Yeah, I basically agree with this.

I'm fine with both endings I guess. The one they have chosen (the eagle) is a bit cartoony and silly but for once you feel good for Milhouse and that's a nice change. It's also unpredictable in a kinda so-silly-it's-fun way.

The one Le Jake proposed...I'm not sure, I'd have probably changed his line to something like "I'm fine", cause "Everything's comin' up Milhouse" would probably be undefined whether he's talking about his good luck (Lisa kissing him) or bad luck (falling down the cliff).

What I mean is that to me the most important part is that Lisa kissed Milhouse and , after all this years of him trying, he had already won. Him falling of the cliff would be funny in a bittersweet way, very similar to Mirkin's endings, but in this particular instance I'd have made it clear that he didn't care cause he had already been kissed.

That said, it's not like the eagle is "anti-classic era" or anything. There are instances of cartoony gags and moments of glory for usually pathetic characters in the classic episodes as well.

To me the biggest (biggest but still tiny in comparison to most of this season) problems of the episode were what others have mentioned. We really don't have any indication of Milhouse thinking about Lisa and Taffy just goes all dramatic over it once Lisa appears. Also Taffy was nice, but I felt I didn't know her enough. Yeah, yeah, she was an instrument to show Lisa's feelings and whatnot, but in classic era they seemed more interested in this one-shot characters. Nowadays they just hire a guest actor/actress for the job and they don't give them more than three lines.

The other thing I didn't like too much was that most of Homer's plot involves him being annoyed, whining and trying to quit his job. Yeah, his reasons were well explained, but maybe even too much. I'd liked to see him enjoying the job a little more before he started to suffer.

Other than that the running with scissors and Wiggum gags weren't perfect, maybe the brain one wasn't either...but I don't really mind those. They were ok. The other two things I mentioned were more important.

The rest of the episode was really, really good. It's a long time I've been waiting for an episode that showed Lisa feeling something for Milhouse and this one, while not perfect, was a lot better handled than the Red Hot Mamas subplot.

They'll probably forget it and reset to status quo, but I think it could be a nice plot to include in more episodes. To those who thinks this would kill Lisa's or Milhouse's characterizations I say "it all depends". I'd probably be the first to complain if they'd stick with it and make it a totally perfect, happy relationship like they did with Lisa and Colin in the movie. But if they show Lisa's doubts and insecurities and Milhouse's surprise about the whole thing then it could be expanded in fun ways. And she can always leave him again in the future but maybe Milhouse could grow up a little too and he wouldn't be so hurt. Maybe there could be some rivalry between Milhouse and Nelson too. Just pure silly speculation, I know they won't do anything with it.

Loved the spinning chair transitions, much better than the usual montages, loved the Patty and Selma intro and Homer playing with the hole in Patty's hair, loved the last romantic scene with Marge, the Finding Nemo scene (one of the few Pixar's references that were well inserted into the plot), Milhouse's pathetic song and of course Lisa kissing Milhouse.

Pretty good episode, but I still think Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life was probably a little bit better. Still, it was a highlight in a mediocre-to-awful bunch of episodes. The Great Simpsina was ok-ish, but the subject wasn't very interesting.

4/5 or 4,5/5,if I'm generous.
    Last edited by Cartoonnetwork; 05-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

This is the first episode of the season I've been compelled to actually review. The humour seemed to be sharper, and with slightly less dwelling on poor jokes, though it felt somewhat empty in a way without the emotional musical score which was commonly used to great effect in earlier seasons. These points aside, there were definitely laughs here, as opposed to the bland viewing we've become accustomed to, and as has already been mentioned the subplot was quality.

The Homer plot was okay despite one or two poor jokes, and I agree that the bar scene was very well constructed, though the plot perhaps needed a little more time spent on it. The subplot was very good, and it was refreshing to see every character on form, though the ending felt quite rushed. Lisa particularly was well written as a character and the dialogue was generally very good, and felt more real than the show has done for a long time, without the desperation to be 'modern'.

4/5 The best of the season for me, so far.
    Last edited by Company Picnic; 05-11-2011 at 05:36 PM.

A few bad jokes and the owl thing, but apart from that, 4/5.

Also it took about 6 minutes for the opening credits to disappear. I realise there was a long couch gag, which, by the way, was way too long, but in itself had sone good jokes, but they should get through them quicker or have less, to get into the episode quicker. Maybe 'could' instead of should. It probably doesn't affect everyone.

Thread Information