View Poll Results: How do you rate "Homer Scissorhands"? (NABF13)

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: The Mullet

32 32.00%
  • 4/5: The Afro

35 35.00%
  • 3/5: The Crew Cut

16 16.00%
  • 2/5: The Soup Bowl

10 10.00%
  • 1/5: The Rachael

7 7.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Homer Scissorhands" (NABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Homer Scissorhands" (NABF13)

Homer Scissorhands (NABF13)
    Homer's natural gift for hairdressing leads him to open his own salon, but can he handle having to work on talkative women all day?; Lisa spurns Milhouse yet again, only to become jealous of his new fifth-grade girlfriend

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Blog Entries

I liked this one! With the exception of some over the top stupidity (like the bridge being cut down), it was well paced and both plots were entertaining enough, although I wish Milhouse would've fell a few feet (but wound up okay) instead of riding up on a bird. (WTF?)

4/5, or B+

EDIT: I still preferred Homer the Father over this.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, I honestly don't know how to react. This was easily the second best of the season. Hell, it may even be on par with Homer the Father. Both stories were just about perfect. The only flaw in either was a few weak gags in the third act of Homer's story but still...this was great. Everyone was in character, plenty of great moments/funny gags, and are Lisa and Milhouse now...?wow.

Also, I get the sense the couch gag will be crushed here, but if it is please be aware that it was not technically a part of the episode itself. I don't know if I recognized the two writers of this episode but get them back for more!

Also, great callbacks to Jub-Jub and Martin's Lute
    Last edited by Oh, that's raspberry!; 05-08-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Couch gag was too long, other then that very funny. I thought Lisa's line "Like my boots?" was adorable.
    Last edited by IceDoesntHelp; 05-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Doesn't mean it's true

3/5

The first two acts were really funny with Lisa messing up a picture at the expense of Bart and later Homer discovering his hidden talent. Milhouse trying to show his affection for Lisa with a terrible song and then falling in love with another girl. But when it enters the third act, it turns all random. The writers can't seem to decide what they ultimately want regarding Milhouse's secret crush on Lisa. The later part of the main plot seems like they couldn't work out a proper finale or even how Homer successfully gets out of this business. I can easily relate to Homer hating to hear the ladies gossip. My favorite gag was all those white boxes with various bad habits stated on them.

Junior Camper

What an episode!

Loved, loved this episode. Such a good time in the season to give us somr major millhouse, and he certainly delivered. "everythings coming up millhouse" line comeback!

Also can i say im a sucker for hans moleman, so that nudged this to a 5 for me ;-)
    Last edited by bradbradford; 05-08-2011 at 04:53 PM.

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was decent. The only things that hurt the Homer plot for me was a few bad jokes like the running with scissors scene and Wiggum's annoying voice. Other than that, it was actually a pretty toned down Homer story. Instead of having him embrace his newfound gift until the last second of an episode where he gets out of it through rushed execution, here we see him trying to get out of it early in the plot. This made the conflict more interesting, rather than it serving as an endless gagfest. Still, it wasn't anything too special, but definitely a good change of pace. The ending to it was alot more thought out than your standard episode and the dynamic with Homer and Marge was sweet, but ick, I could do without those primal noises Marge makes these days when she's wooed by Homer.

Lisa's plot was definitely the highlight for me. I thought it was decently written in a sense considering I was able to understand what was really going on without them making it too obvious OR without pretending like it was going to be some big reveal. I like how the story starts out with them acknowledging the fact that Milhouse proposing his love to Lisa is like beating a dead horse at this point, because it leads you on to think it's just a recycled premise to create a story about Milhouse sticking it to Lisa, but what you get is actually something more worthwhile for the series. It was sweet, believable, and had good structure from beginning to end. Also, Lisa showing Bart her boots was such a cute and funny moment. I'll give this a 3/5. It would have been better if some lame jokes were cut out.

Oh, and what was that thing Helen Lovejoy said about old Seinfeld episodes?? If anyone remembers that would be great.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 05-08-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Helen said the Rev should quit basing his sermons on old Seinfeld episodes.

Blog Entries

^ She had to tell Tim to stop giving sermons about Old Seinfeld episodes, I believe.

EDIT: DAMN YOU JAKE!

Blog Entries

that was great. one of the best episodes of the season for me, if not the best. there were some stupid parts, like homer running with the scissors, and milhouse and the eagle (but the return of 'everything's coming up milhouse!' got a chuckle out of me). both plots were pretty great and i found myself laughing quite a bit. well done. 4.5/5, maybe round up to a 5/5

I really enjoyed that episode. A lot of funny stuff and both stories were actually interesting. Moe gave me 2 good laughs. The first with the fake smile at the bar and then him in the bush in the woods. Possibly the best episode of the season. 4/5

Blog Entries

Another thing about this episode is that almost every secondary character was used well! They were in character! Even Wiggum, the only one who, to me pushed it with that annoying noise gag. Anyone else notice Judge Harm at the party at the end though? I laughed way too hard at Moe in the bushes and Lisa's reaction to it btw.

Upon closer inspection it seems that the writers for this episode were Peter Gaffney and Steve Viksten. I havn't heard of either but apparantly they both worked on Nicktoons in the 90s and Gaffney also worked on Disney's Recess and the Simpsons until 2006. Maybe the show needs people who havn't seen it in several years to write good episodes again?

Also, we've had two hair themed episodes this year and the other aired for Valentine's Day. This one seems more appropriate though.

Pretty good episode, there were a couple of laugh out loud moments. Like when Moe was next to the Duff slogan that said "killer" on it. I laughed pretty hard at that.

4/5
    Last edited by lovebug; 05-09-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: I'm changing my rating to a 4/5.

Watched the first act. A bit of the 2nd act and stopped completely when Homer started clipping things down in favor of playing some good ol' MGS4. I did like the sequence when he was cutting the hair of the various women, though, due to it flowing so nicely.

Guess I should've watched the rest of it, eh?

Blog Entries

I want to see them continue to build on this comedy stressed Milhouse/Lisa relationship... 5/5

Trying to nap Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was really, really good! A bunch of laughs, and very original ideas. For once, it actually portrayed Lisa as an antagonist, which put a fresh spin on things, and Milhouse had a bigger part than he's had in a while. It lagged a bit toward the end, but picked up at the conclusion. Some of the voices were off, but that was it. 5/5!
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    Upon closer inspection it seems that the writers for this episode were Peter Gaffney and Steve Viksten. I havn't heard of either but apparantly they both worked on Nicktoons in the 90s and Gaffney also worked on Disney's Recess and the Simpsons until 2006.
    Peter Gaffney wrote THOH XVII, which alot of people seem to hate.
    Apparently the writers guild guidelines require the writing staff to farm out two episodes a season to freelancers, so we got these guys, and David Blasucci, who wrote last weeks episode.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

Up until tonight, there didn't seem to be a single memorable episode all season. This episode, written by two Classic Rugrats writers have given us a surprisingly good episode. The stories were focused, and nothing got bogged down by tired gags. A very funny story about Homer's hairstyling, though they did retcon the reason behind his balding.

Too early to speculate, but this does give new life to the notion that the show needs new blood in the writers' room, namely those with a successful track record.

4.5/5

What a incredebly plesant episode!

"Edward Scissorhands" is one of my favorite movies (so I grow up a little bit emo - big deal) and I like the fact that refrences to the movie didn't end with the title (after all, what other movies you recal being center around a barber...? Other then "Sweeney Todd")

90% jokes and lines in this episodes work and made me luagh with very few moments that where "whatever" or felt too long (Millhouses song) The couch gag was a bit long as well but at the same time it was visualy entertaining to watch.

The ending of Lisa and Millhouse subtplot was very sweet and supprising, especially since I was expecting some clishe ending, here they actually made something that will have (smaller or biger) incpact on other episodes.

While many people put all the blame on script-writers for new episodes being not as good as the old, for me this episode had a perfect script but could work a little bit better in some parts - like when Lisa goes spying on Millhouse - if the director could made it more dramatic/create better tention by using more dramating ligts, camera angles ect. Heck! I think many of new episode are Ok as scripts but get screw up in the execution - just my few cents

Over all - It was good episode, very funny and propably my favorite this season!

EDIT : Ow! And one character from old episodes who makes a brief apperance - the mom who get's abuse by her son (from "Marge not Proud" and more) but sadly without her offsrping...
    Last edited by Mr.; 05-08-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Not bad, pretty good in fact, one of the best of the season.

The main plot was pretty well paced overall. I liked the fact that right off the bat we know Homer has a gift, and how he got it. The sequence of him cutting the hair of all the ladies was very well directed and really got the feel of just how much of a curse Homer's talent had become. I kind of wish more had been done with the idea that not only was the job directly driving him crazy, but even hanging out with the guys was freaking him out what with the foibles and ticks he had heard. It seemed like it was going somewhere, but it really doesn't (though the bar scene itself was pretty funny). The final resolution actually worked quite well, we already knew about the police banquet ahead of time, and the plan that Marge and Homer came up with was funny and clever. The final scene with the two of them and Homer doing her hair was kind of romantic too, with some nice scenery shots.

The subplot worked pretty well also. Subplots have not been this season's strong suit at all, but this one worked quite well. Again it didn't waste time with Lisa or Milhouse, and it thankfully did not turn into a huge pathetic Milhouse keeps professing his love but Lisa keeps shooting him down plot. She says no right from the start, which leads him to Taffy, and soon she becomes the obsessive one. It made sense for her to be acting that way, and her final decision was not conclusive, but it didn't feel like a cheat either. If she ever did fully return the affection to him it would be a blow to the characters, and if it just ended with Milhouse alone again it would have been too depressing, but they ended it with a nice compromise. I will say though, Taffy was a little on the bland side, and the excuse for her to exit the picture was too thin for my tastes. Otherwise, the scene was sweet, with Milhouse feeling more miserable than ever, but Lisa was there to give him a pick-me-up.

There were the occasional lengthy jokes, like Wiggum talking annoying, but most of those complaints are nitpicks. This was a very well done episode for this season. 4/5
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    Apparently the writers guild guidelines require the writing staff to farm out two episodes a season to freelancers, so we got these guys, and David Blasucci, who wrote last weeks episode.
    Sort of ironic that Steve Viksten would write an episode with a Lisa subplot, since he co-developed Hey Arnold! with Lisa Groening's husband. (I'm a little surprised he didn't co-write it with Joe Ansolabehere; I'm pretty sure they wrote an episode of Duckman.)

Speaking of the subplot, the only real problem I had with the episode was, they could have had a better reason for the Milhouse/Taffy breakup than "you'll always love Emma Lisa" (the fact that Glee did pretty much the same thing quite recently didn't help matters any).

wow. I mean I really cant say much more then that. The end of the Lisa/Milhouse plot was sincerely cute and heartfelt. Milhouse's line about '...how miserable do you want me to be?' was really touching. And the kiss, I mean hell, I didnt see that coming at all. I nearly did a real life spit take. Like everyone else I really hope that liz an milhouse's relationship actually move forward.
    Last edited by noaizuma; 05-09-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine_university View Post
    There were the occasional lengthy jokes, like Wiggum talking annoying
    Yhe. That joke felt more like "Family Guy" then "The Simpsons"...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noaizuma View Post
    wow. I mean I really cant say much more then that. The end of the Lisa/Milhouse plot was sincerely cute and heartfelt. Milhouse's line about '...how miserable do you want me to be?' was really touching. And the kiss, I mean hell, I didnt see that coming at all. I nearly did a real life spit take. Like everyone else I really hope you liz an milhouse's relationship actually move forward.
    I got the impression the writers actually valued Lisa and Milhouse's "kiss" and that made the scene worth something.

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Homer Scissorhands

I admit, I might have both been a bit interested and a bit fearful when I saw that this episode was written by two past Rugrats writers. Sure, one of them might of brought us a Treehouse of Horror episode that many people disliked and I might of thought it was going to be the same as the other Simpsons episodes this season but I watched it because; well, I feel like I have to see this through to the end.

Anyways, Homer as a barber is an interesting plotline; I feared that it wouldn't completely work out in the episode. After watching the episode, my fears have been put to rest; aside from a poor start, this plotline really works within the episode. The writers really put effort into a storyline featuring Homer with barber skills, especially when he gets his own Barber Shop later on. That doesn't mean that there are moments throughout (Good: Patty and Selma getting a nice haircut, the quote graphs, some of Moe's actions. Bad: The brain gag, yet another economy gag as if it was "clever" enough, the somewhat unrealistic dysfunctional family.) We can really feel his pain when he has to endure the constant talking (which is oddly not forced throughout the episode but it still somewhat got to me.) that goes on from the montage which shows the passage of time to near the end of the episode. Really, even when he tries so hard to fail he just can't help to succeed and not die at every point; he wanted to be a barber and now that he's sick of people talking he wants out.

Eventually, Marge gets sick of seeing Homer like this and seeks to end it (we do see Disco Stew there); and while I would of liked to see a better way for Homer to not become a hairbarber (cheating on a hairdresser and the old hairdresser getting the customers back in an instant.), I admit I liked the emotional ending at the end with no wackiness at the end; after the Gunsmoke ending before, this was well deserved. And we got to see some nice moments with Homer and Marge; they really seemed like a couple rather then a couple of joke spouters. And we also got some nice stuff at the bar as well.

The subplot of the episode started off poorly with yet another Pixar reference (though understandable in Milhouses case) that makes Milhouse profess his love for Lisa with a long ass song that went on for way to long. And after that song Milhouse meets a girl and Lisa slowly becomes jealous, leading for her to become the antagonist. I admit, it was interesting to see the antagonist but my main complaint is that it took somewhat longer for the subplot to kick into main gear (I did not find much of the stuff in the beginning or middle as entertaining.); It was only at the end that the subplot went out at a high-note, with Lisa unexpectedly kissing Milhouse (maybe the first time); something which I hope the writers will expand later on (if they don't forget about it first.) I did not like Milhouse riding on a Griffith but... whatever.

I have to say, aside from a couple of poorly executed ideas, this turned out pretty well. I have to say that it's even better then "The Great Simpsina" due to the lack of a constant thing to make fun of (Magic for example.), and it's the best episode of Season 22. There was a great emotional core and both plots went out on top (after poor starts.) It's not free of faults however but it's an enjoyable episode written by what needs to be two new people in the Simpsons writing team, there's no excuse they can't join and freshen things up.

7.5/10
    Last edited by Zombies Rise from the Sea; 06-02-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

This has to be one of the best written scripts in the last few years. Both plots were fully realized, characters were used well and in character, there were no stupid constant unrelated one-liners from side characters, top-notch humor, for the most part... and finally, a touching moment with Milhouse and Lisa. Is this going to be one of the few things that the show keeps going with? Or will they just ignore it next week and go back to having Lisa ignore him? Hopefully the former happens. I wish the show was close to wrapping up and they could spend the last few seasons with episodes like this that give the show some sort of closure. (but we all know this won't happen and in a perfect world, this would have happened nearly 10 years ago).

Only complaint: Almost every time they make Homer the main focus these days, all they have him do is whine. It wasn't too bad here, but still, not funny. I know thats basically his character now, and the general public for whatever reason must love that... but its still irritating that in the classic seasons he was the best TV character ever, and now hes been reduced to this for so long.

Still, minor complaint. I'm giving this a 5/5... for new episode standards, of course!

NHC's fly on the wall lionelhutz123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    They may have written for Rugrats but there's no excuse they can't join the Simpsons writing team and freshen things up.
    Not that I'm some hardcore fan, but Rugrats had many well-written episodes. Just because it's a kid show doesn't mean their writers can't write.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 05-08-2011 at 10:15 PM.

One of the best shows of the season 5/5.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Yeah, that was a really good one. The last one was pretty good as well so if they can close this season out on a strong note, it'd be great.

It'd be easy to take points off for the show using a tired premise (a Simpson discovers a new talent out of absolutely nowhere!), but... nah. Not when it's this well done. I mean, a bit of a smh at every single woman to step in Homer's doors to just complain and yammer on, but it's Springfield, I can buy it. Plus the consequences of it on Homer's psyche were great and well-portrayed, particularly in the bar scene (and on that note, that was a great, funny scene, and there were a lot of good jokes in this episode; I don't think anything really struck out).

Second week in a row we've gotten a very well-paced story with characters all being in character and the family being a family. Love seeing Marge support Homer and Homer clearly appreciating it, and Bart and Lisa had a great brother-sister relationship in this one. When the Simpsons are acting more as a family that actually does love and care about each other, whatever their problems may be, it's a lot easier to enjoy the episodes.

Good episode for Milhouse too, though the ending was pretty silly (but with a good callback line). The only real complaints are the ending - we have Lisa following Milhouse and Taffy around the entire time because "it doesn't add up", and then that idea is never touched on; Taffy just leaves Milhouse without so much as an easy "hey, love can be weird" sort of line. That and the "you'll always love Lisa" excuse... because Milhouse is the one that ordered Lisa to follow them around? Just weird. But cute, and that makes it easy enough to be able to overlook the few flaws in the story. It'd be nice if this was something that could continue to exist in the show, at least in the background, but it'll take a bit to see if that happens and I can't say I hold too much faith towards it happening.

That said, the past two episodes of the show have been solidly written, so I'm willing to reserve a bit of hope that the show might be on a bit of an upswing. Nothing classic-level, but if it could go anywhere near S15's levels again I'd be pretty happy.

It was really strange watching this episode and Bob's Burgers back to back. Kristin Schaal magically started saying funny things halfway through the hour.

Thread Information