Page 64 of 78 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2334

Thread: Season 23 Information Thread

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

We're out of time.

I simply don't get this hate for Lady Gaga. It's one thing to not enjoy the music. It's another to automatically put down an episode that hasn't even aired! Who knows how it'll turn out?

Like it or hate it, the fact of the matter is that she's commercially successful, and appeals to a wide audience. That isn't even up for debate.

Look at N'Sync. They were the boy band flavor of their time, and it was enough to generate a very amusing, if somewhat surreal episode based around them.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this finale.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gran2 View Post
    Heh, they actually remembered that their poor. Makes a change. And, Steve Coogan. Steve Fuckin' Coogan is in this episode. And they don't even bother to mention it in the byline with Treat Williams.
    STEVE COOGAN BITCHES! A-HAAAAAAA!
    Fun Fact: I hate heights

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    I simply don't get this hate for Lady Gaga. It's one thing to not enjoy the music. It's another to automatically put down an episode that hasn't even aired! Who knows how it'll turn out?

Like it or hate it, the fact of the matter is that she's commercially successful, and appeals to a wide audience. That isn't even up for debate.

Look at N'Sync. They were the boy band flavor of their time, and it was enough to generate a very amusing, if somewhat surreal episode based around them.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this finale.
    Totally agree. She is one of the best singers out there right now, and besides Adele, is probably the only mainstream female artist who can actually sing live. And instead of doing nothing with her influence, she's tackling bullying, which has definitely had an impact on the LGBT community. And then beside that, other stars are wanting to be exactly like her!

Pre-Gaga: Post-Gaga:

Pre-Gaga: Post-Gaga:

Pre-Gaga:
    Post-Gaga: http://ryanseacrest.com/wp-content/u.../113039115.jpg

She's made a pretty big impact. I really don't see why she's so bad.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't have anything against Lady Gaga the person, or music, but it seems stupid that the Simpsons try to ape off her current popularity...you know, the show that made fun of these types of fads and trends.

LISA:
    Wow, you're Lady GaGa! I'm so into (insert liberal cause here) and you've made such an impact with women's rights and (insert liberal cause here) and destroying conservative fashions.

Lady GaGa:
    Thanks, Lisa, it's so great to have you be part of (insert liberal cause here) and to have you as one of my little monsters.

CUT TO LISA DRESSED UP AS A MIDGET GAGA IN SOME ATROCIOUS ATTIRE.

BART:
    Man, Lisa's caught in a Bad Romance! I'm gonna poke her face.

AL JEAN:
    I'm going to hang out with Lady Gaga, for protection...and to be seen!

====================================================

What happened to the days the Simpsons made fun of these nuggets in pop culture without having them guest star?

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    LISA:
    Wow, you're Lady GaGa! I'm so into (insert liberal cause here) and you've made such an impact with women's rights and (insert liberal cause here).

Lady GaGa:
    Thanks, Lisa, it's so great to have you be part of (insert liberal cause here) and to have you as one of my little monsters.

CUT TO LISA DRESSED UP AS A MIDGET GAGA IN SOME ATROCIOUS ATTIRE.

BART:
    Man, Lisa's caught in a Bad Romance!
    Well, there's only so many ways you can write a Lisa scene. Might as well stay true to character.

Also, Tim Long posted this last August, when he directed her.

http://yfrog.com/z/hs4pi8j

Blog Entries

Well, there's only so many ways you can write a Lisa scene. Might as well stay true to character.
    At this point, the current staff cannot create anything to generate excitement when it comes to episodes like this. They don't write an episode, they fill in an episode template.

If I was running the show, here's how an episode like this would be done:

"When Marge sees the highly provocative Miss Manless taking the radio and TV by storm, she's worried over the effect such a mainstream, lewd performer is having on Lisa's morality, with it her wanting to dress a little bit more liberal than Marge likes, but when a chance encounter with MM reveals to Marge that MM's act is all show because her real name is Judy Smith, divorced housewife of 2 who is using her skills in theater to create the MM character. Marge actually learns that MM also doesn't really care about any of the causes she publically endorses and now Marge is torn between telling Lisa the truth about her new idol, or just following the "ignorance is bliss" route."

Blog Entries

"When Marge sees the highly provocative Miss Manless taking the radio and TV by storm, she's worried over the effect such a mainstream, lewd performer is having on Lisa's morality, with it her wanting to dress a little bit more liberal than Marge likes, but when a chance encounter with MM reveals to Marge that MM's act is all show because her real name is Judy Smith, divorced housewife of 2 who is using her skills in theater to create the MM character. Marge actually learns that MM also doesn't really care about any of the causes she publically endorses and now Marge is torn between telling Lisa the truth about her new idol, or just following the "ignorance is bliss" route."
    Now THAT is an episode!

We're out of time.

At this point, the current staff cannot create anything to generate excitement when it comes to episodes like this. They don't write an episode, they fill in an episode template.

If I was running the show, here's how an episode like this would be done:

Yours seems to be as as much an episode template as anything else. I could point out a few episodes that used that exact plot you've described.

Plus, your story proposal would require a B plot, since there's not enough in there for a whole episode.

Blog Entries

Yours seems to be as as much an episode template as anything else. I could point out a few episodes that used that exact plot you've described.

Plus, your story proposal would require a B plot, since there's not enough in there for a whole episode.
    I know a few episodes that is very similar to, but its nowhere near as pandering as the actual episode we are going to receive. Plus, there'd be a bit of drama between Marge and Lisa we don't get much of these days.

Glowing strong for 50 years Holiday Cheervine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    The good news is if the "Trip to Antarctica" episode is the "jumping the shark" episode, we can pan it and not have to worry about being "racially insensitive" or a "PC thug" since everyone knows the population of permanent residents on that continent has always been zero.
    You're talking about them "jumping the shark" now? Where were you during season 10?
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 25 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 19 > 23

My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings:
    Clown in the Dumps - C- The Wreck of the Relationship - D+ Super Franchise Me - D Treehouse of Horror XXV - C+ Opposites A-Frack - B Simpsorama - C- Blazed and Confused - C Covercraft - C- I Won't Be Home for Christmas - B-

Quote Originally Posted by irvine_11 View Post
    You're talking about them "jumping the shark" now? Where were you during season 10?
    Maybe I should've said if the episode is the worst episode ever then you get the picture on panning the episode.

Blog Entries

Ah, okay.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see how Antarctica can be worse than Israel, unless the tour guide shows up there randomly...

Visual Development Department Robotics's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm anxiously waiting for the next episode, hope it's good.
    The Antarctica episode sounds interesting too, but surely it's not as weird as their trip to Israel. (Annoying tour guide, yes?)
    The season finale doesn't sound too exciting though.

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tvguy347 View Post
    then beside that, other stars are wanting to be exactly like her!

She's made a pretty big impact.
    Thats quite an impact she has made! They sure do look like freaks. This episode is doomed.

Also, Tim Long posted this last August, when he directed her.
    http://yfrog.com/z/hs4pi8j
    I guess her performance is going to suck as much as that fucking rag episode.
    Last edited by zartok-35; 04-11-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I don't see how Antarctica can be worse than Israel, unless the tour guide shows up there randomly...
    Their tour guide will be a penguin whose repeated squeaking will no doubt want to make the viewers pull out whatever hair they have left.

Totally agree. She is one of the best singers out there right now, and besides Adele, is probably the only mainstream female artist who can actually sing live. And instead of doing nothing with her influence, she's tackling bullying, which has definitely had an impact on the LGBT community. And then beside that, other stars are wanting to be exactly like her!

She's made a pretty big impact. I really don't see why she's so bad.
    You two have missed the point. People are dreading the Gaga episode because of Zombie Simpsons track record with pop culture. Gaga is popular, and many people here don't hate her music, but ZS often drops the flavour of last year into an episode, and fail to mock them in the way The Simpsons did. The Simpsons had famous celebrities like Sting, and successfully managed to mock him (for doing anything for charity). They even made fun of non-entertainers, e.g. Buzz Aldrin for being the second man on the moon. ZS just panders to the fans of a pop icon (like Katy Perry a year ago), and don't make with the laugh-laugh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    Maybe I should've said if the episode is the worst episode ever then you get the picture on panning the episode.
    WILLIE:
    Ach! When Lisa goes Gaga, just call me with that "Shin" of yours!

Blog Entries

was that 3616 X 3000 pixel picture of nicki minaj really necessary?

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartist View Post
    You two have missed the point. People are dreading the Gaga episode because of Zombie Simpsons track record with pop culture. Gaga is popular, and many people here don't hate her music, but ZS often drops the flavour of last year into an episode, and fail to mock them in the way The Simpsons did. The Simpsons had famous celebrities like Sting, and successfully managed to mock him (for doing anything for charity). They even made fun of non-entertainers, e.g. Buzz Aldrin for being the second man on the moon. ZS just panders to the fans of a pop icon (like Katy Perry a year ago), and don't make with the laugh-laugh.
    Since when exactly is mocking celebrities a story requirement? There are plenty of directions a story can take with guest stars like these. Making fun is not really required.

I don't see the problem with finding other ways to tell jokes, that don't necessarily require mocking the guest star. If they do, that's fine. If not, I can always dig a new story angle or a different way to tell a joke.

Blog Entries

Since when exactly is mocking celebrities a story requirement? There are plenty of directions a story can take with guest stars like these. Making fun is not really required.
    The REAL Simpsons looked down at modern culture in contempt and that's why it became a great show (beyond the cast of likeable characters). Once it lost that angle, it became a show that props itself up by devouring whatever emblems current society finds 'cool.' By kissing up to Gaga, or any other "trendy" guest star on every few episodes only reeks of desperation to stay relevant.

I don't see the problem with finding other ways to tell jokes, that don't necessarily require mocking the guest star. If they do, that's fine. If not, I can always dig a new story angle or a different way to tell a joke.
    In the Simpsons universe the REAL Simpsons universe, Lady Gaga would be the joke and if the writers had the balls to be satirical again, they'd create a parody of Lady Gaga and wouldn't let her anywhere near the studio. This is the Simpsons, not the New Scooby Doo Movies.

Ringo Next HANDSOME.S4.E6.XMAS.GUYS.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If only the guest stars are given a reason to be in it, and not just

Homer: "GASP! LADY GAGA?!"

Lady Gaga: "Yep, that's me." *leaves while humming a cheery tune*
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
    Oreo: creme or cookie
    My friend is a big creme supporter and beat me up because i like the cookie better.

Twitter

Because mocking pop culture is one of the reasons The Simpsons became so popular in the first place.

If a celebrity doesn't make jokes about themselves or their profession, all you're left with is a person reading a script. In recent seasons, we've had singers, street artists, entrepreneurs to name a few, voice characters (often themselves) on the show. They're not the best qualified voice actors now, are they?

Their material is only notable because it was them that read it, not because of the material itself. The producers are pandering to the audience by trying to point out how cool it is that Gaga or Perry are in Springfield.

We're out of time.

The REAL Simpsons looked down at modern culture in contempt and that's why it became a great show (beyond the cast of likeable characters). Once it lost that angle, it became a show that props itself up by devouring whatever emblems current society finds 'cool.' By kissing up to Gaga, or any other "trendy" guest star on every few episodes only reeks of desperation to stay relevant.

In the Simpsons universe the REAL Simpsons universe, Lady Gaga would be the joke and if the writers had the balls to be satirical again, they'd create a parody of Lady Gaga and wouldn't let her anywhere near the studio. This is the Simpsons, not the New Scooby Doo Movies.
    Satire is only one aspect of The Simpsons, not its defining one. Even back in the early years, they didn't necessarily have to mock stars in order to generate fun and relatable stories. Case in point, Dustin Hoffman's character, or even Kathleen Turner's.

I'll maintain that the show can treat guest stars without mocking or satirizing them.

And what exactly was wrong with the Scooby-Doo movies? I thought they were really good. Hanna-Barbera certainly seemed to think so, since they did several of those.

Blog Entries

Satire is only one aspect of The Simpsons, not its defining one. Even back in the early years, they didn't necessarily have to mock stars in order to generate fun and relatable stories. Case in point, Dustin Hoffman's character.
    He was PLAYING A CHARACTER. If that episode was airing today, it'd be DUSTIN HOFFMAN playing Lisa's teacher with her not so subtly saying: "Wow, Academy Award Winner (R) Dustin Hoffman's teaching our class! It's like "The Graduate" come to life!", followed by a lot of ass kissing dialog and Homer's "OMG, it's Dustin Hoffman!".

And what exactly was wrong with the Scooby-Doo movies? I thought they were really good. Hanna-Barbera certainly seemed to think so, since they did several of those.
    A whopping season and a half. Even compared to the already campy Scooby Doo from a few years earlier, SDMs were terrible.

EDIT: A perfect name for a Lady Gaga parody, if the show would actually make would be to make an over the top singer named: "Estro Gen" and her followers would be called "The Gentiles".

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

He was PLAYING A CHARACTER. If that episode was airing today, it'd be DUSTIN HOFFMAN playing Lisa's teacher with her not so subtly saying: "Wow, Academy Award Winner (R) Dustin Hoffman's teaching our class! It's like "The Graduate" come to life!", followed by a lot of ass kissing dialog and Homer's "OMG, it's Dustin Hoffman!".
    Just because it's fun to play devil's advocate sometimes, Academy Award Winner Martin Landau PLAYED A CHARACTER less than a year ago in The Great Simpsina and none of those things took place.

Granted, they did take place later in that same episode when all of those random magicians and illusionists tried to stop Lisa and the Great Raymondo from sparing Cregg Demon's life. But hey, you can't say they didn't play it straight with Landau.

That episode in particular highlights the distinction between casting an ACTOR and casting a CELEBRITY.

The show's producers may like to cast celebrities to drum up viewer interest and it may well pay off for Lisa Goes Gaga if it delivers a solid rating. That doesn't mean they can't still cast actors and give them solid material to work with should they choose. I doubt that will be the case for Lady Gaga but hey, they've got a vested interest in keeping the show profitable and if the occasional publicity stunt pays off for them I don't think it's fair to decry the tactic simply on principle.

Ringo Next HANDSOME.S4.E6.XMAS.GUYS.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As bad as season 23 is, I don't think it can compare to this thread.

Blog Entries

Lisa Goes Gaga looks like it'll be just another boring modern example of quality taking a back seat to rampant profiteering. It seems to be endemic in all forms of entertainment and culture now and nobody seems to mind because they limit themselves to the selection given to them by the mainstream media - this applies to films, music, television, pretty much anything.

person who looks like a thing Prune Tracy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    As bad as season 23 is, I don't think it can compare to this thread.
    Do you like, hate discussion or something?
    Favourite/least favourite by seasons that I own (somewhat stolen from Financial Panther):

3 - Bart the Lover/When Flanders Failed 4 - Homer's Triple Bypass/So it's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5 - Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadassssss Song/Bart's Inner Child 6 - And Maggie Makes Three/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7 - Bart Sells His Soul/Homerpalooza 8 - Homer's Enemy/The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9 - King of the Hill/Trash of the Titans 10 - Wild Barts Can't Be Broken/Make Room for Lisa

the Frying Dutchman Sinterklaas's Avatar

This sunday's couch gag will be animated by Bill Plympton. He and Groening go way back (and Matt did a voice in Bill's movie Hair High).

That makes two couch gags envisioned by animation heroes of mine in 1 season, neat!

Thread Information