View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Real Housewives of Fat Tony?" (NABF12)

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: It's a wonderful Wife

3 4.29%
  • 4/5: Trophy Wife

12 17.14%
  • 3/5: Second Wife

22 31.43%
  • 2/5: Mid-Wife Crises

20 28.57%
  • 1/5: Ex-Wife

13 18.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Real Housewives of Fat Tony" (NABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "The Real Housewives of Fat Tony" (NABF12)

May 1 The Real Housewives of Fat Tony (NABF12)
    ...now include Selma, but Homer and Marge don't like the way Selma is putting "family" over family; Bart has the ability to detect truffles by smell.

Banned
    Blog Entries

To be honest, it wasn't really the crapfest I thought it would be. Fairly average, actually. I knew Fat Tony was gonna cheat on her. I can't believe they didn't acknowledge the fact that Fat Tony isn't Fat Tony anymore. I think the writers are trying to block that episode from the canon, perhaps. 2.8/5. Which rounds out to 3/5 on the poll. Hated the Bart/Lisa subplot, though.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Cletus: That big tick sure did swell your head up, normal headed Joe.

Lisa: This is our house! Nothing's buried here besides hopes and dreams!

Selma: HOW CAN TONY CHEAT ON ME SO SOON!?

Fat Tony's Wife: You call that a wife ring? This is a wife ring!

HOLY SHIT, PLOPPER.

That's about it, though. Nothing really to say about it. Barely anything happened. Is Selma staying fit? Doubt it.

Just saw the end of it but i'm sure it sucked.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Blog Entries

i have no idea what that was i just watched. i barely laughed at anything (homer's sketches of patty was probably my favorite part), and both plots were kind of boring. I'm also getting tired of random Plopper appearances. in the movie it was somewhat funny and i would like it more as a one-time thing, but having Plopper appearing over and over again kinda kills the part in the movie (IMO). i know he does not appear like, every single episode, but it feels like he is appearing quite a bit.

overall, the plots were boring and i just did not laugh much. 2/5 or so

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wish the entire subplot was dropped and the fourth act was about Selma getting back to her life at the DMV and with Pattie.

The main plot gets a "B". The subplot gets a "D". Overall, I'd give this a C, or 3/5.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Wellington View Post
    i have no idea what that was i just watched. i barely laughed at anything (homer's sketches of patty was probably my favorite part), and both plots were kind of boring. I'm also getting tired of random Plopper appearances. in the movie it was somewhat funny and i would like it more as a one-time thing, but having Plopper appearing over and over again kinda kills the part in the movie (IMO). i know he does not appear like, every single episode, but it feels like he is appearing quite a bit.

overall, the plots were boring and i just did not laugh much. 2/5 or so
    Oh, Plopper appeared more than once? I thought it was a one-time thing. Oh well, haven't seen the new ones lately anyway.

Blog Entries

he's appeared in a few others:

a midsummer's nice dream (from earlier this season!)

4 great women and a manicure

thoh XVIII

apocalpyse cow

maybe more i can't remember.

even though it's not like he appears in every single episode, i still feel like his appearances ruin his 'special' role in the movie

Welp, I was able to motivate myself to watch an episode for the first time since January. It was a middling watch with few laughs but I was able to maintain interest in the story I guess. I don't notice any real difference for better or worse from earlier this season. They really don't seem to any ability for a subplot anymore though. D+ (2/5)
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

4/5

This episode had a great main plot. Fat Tony and Selma was used very well. It's good to see the Noiselands video arcade getting used again. The big food shown off in act four was the best gag. I also loved Selma squaring off with Fat Tony's first wife. However, the subplot was only mildly entertaining especially since Plopper has been overstaying his welcome and this was a determined attempt to give him a major role. Lisa eating the truffles herself due to being bored of her vegetarian diet was hilarious.

Instead of Plopper, they should try to bring back Colin in a speaking role for at least one episode since it would make the movie callbacks a little more interesting.
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 05-01-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a tough one to grade. Judging from the episode synopsis I was expecting an abomination but it wasn't nearly as bad as many others this season. In fact, until they got to New Jersey it was pretty good. The first two acts of the main story had some solid laughs. Everything in the DMV was good. I was kinda shocked by the "risky" joke given while Selma was being held captive. They used the misdirection gag a couple of times tonight but only one really worked for me, Homer going to the arcade instead of Bart. The pig with the knife I saw coming.

Everything in New Jersey was pretty bad...I'll leave it at that. Also, throughout the episode I couldn't get around the destruction of Fat Tony's character this season. I mean where is his son during all this? Wasn't his wife established as dead in an earlier season? He seemed like a lifelong widower to me. The only way to get around these issues is to acknowledge that it's actually "Fit" Tony we're dealing with here...something neither I nor the writers seem to want. So yeah...couldn't get around that to enjoy the episode as much as I wish I could.

The truffle sub-plot was unnecessary and also pretty bad, but I liked Bart's space fantasy and Otto's appearance. Homer was pretty good tonight as well, and his scene with Patty was funny. Marge's line about Fat Tony's first name being Fat made me laugh as well. The humor was definitely there, if not exactly consistent. The animation and voice work was also fine tonight so I can't really complain there. So I dunno I guess I'll be nice and give this a 3/5 but it should probably be a 2.5 or so honestly.

Also a Bonanza ending...why?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, what was up with the Bonanza ending? Was that a joke? That seriously came out of nowhere.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Watch. D'ohmer will praise everything about this.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

well, it was better than watching the Capitals right now at least (nm Ovie fixed that at least for now) (nm fuck that, this was better. if you aren't going to score a million goals anymore then learn how to fucking defend ahfidoghdklh)

I dunno, I actually enjoyed it. It was paced well. Not that many funny moments - I'm not sure if I ever really laughed, but then, I usually don't - but the stories were of a much higher quality than I was really expecting. I'd kind of forgotten this was the episode that was supposed to have the Jersey Shore parodies until they showed up, actually. I've said it before, but not really caring that much and then just sitting down to watch it and leaving it at that only tends to make these newer episodes more enjoyable.

Selma's banter with Fat Tony was fun, I thought she was actually really well-written in this one, and the rift between her and Marge wasn't forced at all; rather, it felt as organic as the rest of the way Selma was written. Homer was used well in that aspect, and he was, for the most part (beginning aside, a little too exaggerated for me that he'd abandon his kids in that way but it was a good start to the episode as well), really well-written. Hell, so was Marge.

It was an easy turn for Selma to be the girlfriend but it worked within the episode and they'd already established that Selma didn't speak Italian much earlier on, which probably made the episode feel slightly more clever than it actually was, but fact is, it worked. The beginning wasn't dragged out forever. The ending was a touch abrupt, but then, I'm not sure if there's much you can add on to it. The Bonanza ending was... weird, to say the least, but nothing wrong with just stopping it at Selma fighting with the wife and using Homer and Marge to counteract that with a small reaffirmation of their own love.

Subplot was fine too. Complaining about Plopper's appearance? Really? That just feels like minor nit picking to me. I just see him as "random, generically designed pig" now. Bart being able to sniff out truffles was weird but the writers just treated it as though it was perfectly normal, didn't make a big deal out of it, and rolled with it. Fairly funny ending to it as well.

Each character was well-written and well-utilized and the story had an organic flow, I can't really find much to complain about.
    Last edited by arii; 05-01-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I know everyone's voice changes, but Joe Mantegna's voice has significantly changed since his first appearance.

Oh yeah, good for Joe for getting a star on the walk of fame.

Mama took those batteries Bankrupt Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This wasn't too bad, but it seemed like it would be more. I like the idea of experimenting with two characters who have never interacted with each other, but I wish they would have explored it more, instead of spending on... dare I say it... truffles. I also really hated Marge in this episode. She seemed angry simply because she didn't get a good table, and stayed bitter throughout. A couple of pretty good jokes (though I saw the arcade joke coming), and a new, fresh feel give it a 3/5.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The ending was predictable, but I had a fun time getting there. The truffel story withe Bart and Lisa didn't do a whole lot for me until the pig went on it's restaurant ramapge, which was very funny, I must say. I also liked the hard-core tanning and Homer bonding with 'The Occurance'. 4 out of 5. Lance Kramer has usurped Nancy Kruses' old unit it seems.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

What's the name of the song/music during the episode? (right after homer's drawing scene)
    I know it's a very classic Italian opera; but I couldn't recall the name.
    thanks!

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I didn't like the way they switched from the arcade scene to Geraldo Rivera.

Wait...that wasn't part of the show? That was a real Fox News pre-emption? Osama bin Laden is dead?

This wasn't a horrible epsiode, but it managed to embody everything I don't like about the modern years - reused plot, bland dialogue, harmless satire (The Occurence? Tushie? Didn't you fuckers go to Harvard?), and a subplot that was unnecessary and added nothing (why is Lisa suddenly addicted to truffles? That happened out of nowhere! And doesn't she usually like vegetarian food?). Still a billion times better than the Israel shitfest, though. 2/5

I don't care for G.O.B. Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Real Housewives of Fat Tony

What a terrible episode, everything about it sucked. The plot (Or should I say plots) were bland, unoriginal and unfunny much like most of season 22. What made me even more annoyed is that it seemed every frigging characters voice (Besides Homer's) sounded flat and boring leaving even the best jokes to fall flat. Almost everyone was out of character and only the cut away gags and some of Homer's lines saved the episode from being a complete waste of time and they even stole jokes from the kids show "Spongebob SquarePants". The truffle subplot made no sense as Lisa and Bart were left home alone while Homer and Marge were on vacation, as well well as it making no sense it was a blatantly there to waste time as it didn't amount to anything. Why couldn't the subplot focus on Marge and Homer's experience at Jersey Shore but no we had to watch Bart sniff truffles for half the show. Worst of the season (And unless the next two or three episodes are the best in the last few years, season 22 is going to become my least favorite season)

Score: 5.5/10.0

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joemulder View Post
    What's the name of the song/music during the episode? (right after homer's drawing scene)
    I know it's a very classic Italian opera; but I couldn't recall the name.
    thanks!
    That would be 'Conte partiro'.

Internet, eh? Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar

Lisa's characterization was terrible in this episode. Gagging her Brother and treating him like a dog? Selfishly stealing the truffles for her own gain, just because she finds vegetarian food a little bland all of a sudden? (sigh)

While it was that bad it kinda feel this pretty much one of those episode that make you feel just how exausted the simpsons are, the only thing that salvage is because of the low expectation you have

I liked it even though the sub-plot kind of sucked. The main story was pretty good but it's a shame that they always feel the need to return to the status quo. Why not let Selma and Fat Tony stay married, at least for a little while? It could've set up an easy sub-plot on another episode where they would break up. Either way, I guess I enjoyed the episode. 4/5

This epsiode was booooooooooooring.
    Still far from terrible. The "This is a whife wring? Marge dont't look" made me chuckle...

Blog Entries

Good episode. Nothing very funny, but I enjoyed watch it. 3.5/5 but 3/5 on the poll...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. View Post
    This epsiode was booooooooooooring.
    Still far from terrible. The "This is a whife wring? Marge dont't look" made me chuckle...
    I agree. That joke was good.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I actually enjoyed this one, obviously some parts were totally retarded like the Jersey Shore stuff but I liked some stuff like the (second) reference to Selma and Disco Stu's marriage. And i personally like the Plopper appearances since it sorta ties the movie more into the continuity of the series.
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Wow best episode of the season. Actually laughed out loud at a few moments and can't remember that many bad jokes. Lisa was really off in this one but that whole plot was ridiculous and boring. Although the ending with the pig wasn't bad. But i actually really enjoyed the main plot of the episode. Sure it ended somewhat abruptly but the whole episode didn't feel forced at all and most of the characters were nicely used.

Overall a C+ and a generous 4/5 on the poll.

Thread Information