View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Great Simpsina"? (NABF11)

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: A modern day Houdini

25 25.51%
  • 4/5: Levitating the Statue of Liberty

34 34.69%
  • 3/5: Pulling a Rabbit out of the Hat

26 26.53%
  • 2/5: Ho Hum Card Trick

10 10.20%
  • 1/5: Pulling a Hat out of a Rabbit

3 3.06%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Great Simpsina" (NABF11)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "The Great Simpsina" (NABF11)

April 10, 2011 The Great Simpsina (NABF11)
    Lisa apprentices to a magician, only to reveal the secret to his biggest trick to his competitor; Marge overdoes it with peach recipes

I'm not sure if there was a couch gag, as Global cut it out.
    The first Chris Angel parody made laugh.
    Nelson's line when Lisa was in the Milk Can, was pretty funny.
    Homer's line "I can't stand seeing one of my female children upset" was pretty funny.
    "Thats just what you need Chief, another stomach" was hilarious.
    Silly error. Homer shouldn't have his coat anymore. Did they really forget that quickly?
    Act 1 was the best part.
    This was at least one of the decent Lisa episodes.
    2.5/5 a 3, to be nice.
    Doesn't mean it's true

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

In all likelihood, the strongest Lisa-centric episode since Season 17's Girls Just Want To Have Sums.
    Matt Warburton hit a home run here.
    Loved seeing Maya in the Little Magician's Room and the homage to classic era guest star appearances with Landau going uncredited.
    Great use of all the guest stars in MEANINGFUL ways.
    Lack of an opening sequence and a couch gag is a GOOD thing. Usually a tip off that the ep will have little padding and list gag stretching filler.

Haven't decided whether this tops Flaming Moe yet but FINALLY I have my third great episode of the season.

Junior Camper

I'm sure people will find things to complain about, but I can't. GREAT episode, really, really reminded me of a classic. Best of the season by far, and they did it with a Lisa episode! Who would have thought! Seriously, loved this episode, also thought it actually got better as it went on, which is very rare these days. 5 out of 5.

Blog Entries

Bad: The peach scenes and the guest Magicians.

Good: Everything else and the really nice ending.

Grade: 4/5

Mama took those batteries Bankrupt Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not bad. 4/5. That peach crap seemed like pointless filler, and when Lisa started the magic, I thought this would be like All About Lisa. Luckily, it didn't tread down that path, and we got a quality episode with a good amount of emotion. You knew Lisa would blow the secret somehow; you just weren't sure how. But it definitely made the episode more interesting. An odd thing about the episode, however, is that Lisa didn't return to being a regular girl at the end.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

The Things I Do For Love Wail-Id's Avatar
    Blog Entries

no opening. weird.

why exactly were the simpsons peach picking at the beginning, and why did bart and lisa go opposite ways to try and get rid of it? to further the plot? i didn't see the need to have lisa go the opposite way of bart. the only reason that happened was so she could meet that magician, but why couldn't they have had her go the same way as Bart? not that important i guess, it just seemed random to me.

anyway, i was pretty entertained. i laughed at:

nelson's line, talking to God when Lisa was in the milk glass (which was kinda weird)

Wiggum taking Lou while he was in those boxes, and him saying "Yea, you really need another stomach" (or whatever his line was)

bart's pop quiz in his mind

it was good during the first three acts, but the random cameos at the end were dumb. Penn and Teller, while kind of appearing out of nowhere, were pretty funny. pretty much all their lines made me laugh.

i'm giving it a 4/5. good first three acts, kinda boring (except for penn and teller) 4th act

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Not bad. 4/5. That peach crap seemed like pointless filler, and when Lisa started the magic, I thought this would be like All About Lisa. Luckily, it didn't tread down that path, and we got a quality episode with a good amount of emotion.
    But AAL was a good episode with a good amount of emotion. This episode was a lesser version of AAL because every time the story felt like it had potential, it hit a comedic plot hole and ruined the pacing. (Penn and Teller and Friends, I'm looking in your direction.)

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Blog Entries

Great episode, the best since Donnie Fatso. The plot was excellent and it flowed very nicely. I liked the opening with the peaches and how it led into the magician's plot. Once it reached the main plot, it remained interesting. Maybe it's because I think magic is cool, but I was entertained. I liked the conflict that Lisa had to deal with and how it was resolved. Her characterization wasn't bad at all, she wasn't annoying. She made a mistake in this episode, proving that she is not the little miss-perfect either.

The humor was also very good (IMO). I loved gags like Homer thinking that money comes from ears and Bart turning into Milhouse at the end. It wasn't totally perfect. The peach song was annoying and went on too long and the ending was kind of weird and random, but those are just minor details.

5/5!
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

2/5

The episode had gotten off to a funny start and it ended in an excited way, but the middle was awfully tedious. Most of the magic tricks were boring. The character of Gregg Demon being a Gene Simmons/Alice Cooper type of character was sort of interesting, but that did not offer a lot of help. The peach song was the lowest point. They did a good job with the magicians that guest starred at the end. Overall, I wasn't that impressed.

By the way, to the person who stated there was no opening intro on Global, there was no opening introduction in this episode here in the states, too. There is also no opening intro on hulu.com for this episode.
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 04-11-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Junior Camper

5/5
    Pretty much perfect overall. I thought the best line was Teller shouting "Quiet! You talk onstage, I talk offstage!" Although I'm sure some people might pick out little things in the episode and base it around what they don't like. I was watching with my Mom, and she didn't like the rival magician at all (I guess she doesn't know what contrast is in a show) and thought the magic theme of the episode was too crazy and nothing like what the show should be, but like Matt Selman said "Can't they do some crazy fever dream of an episode every couple years?"
    As a side note: Did anyone else think that the first two acts were a lot like "The Lastest Gun in the West"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biffwestwood View Post
    2/5

The episode had gotten off to a funny start and it ended in an excited way, but the middle was awfully tedious. The character of Gregg Demon being a Gene Simmons/Alice Cooper type of character was sort of interesting, but that did not offer a lot of help.
    He's supposed to be a parody of Chris Angel (MINDFREAK!!!).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OttoMann14 View Post
    As a side note: Did anyone else think that the first two acts were a lot like "The Lastest Gun in the West"?
    I didn't think that, but I can think of why you think so. Good thought!

I also thought it resembled When You Dish Upon a Star, as we have a family member creating a new friendship and then breaking it by revealing a secret that they promised to keep. Of course, they ended differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    But AAL was a good episode with a good amount of emotion. This episode was a lesser version of AAL because every time the story felt like it had potential, it hit a comedic plot hole and ruined the pacing. (Penn and Teller and Friends, I'm looking in your direction.)
    The main problems with AAL is that the plot devices employed to get Lisa into clowning were hackneyed, she exploited her position to kick Krusty to the curb and they hit the proverbial reset button at the end with a lame "don't turn out like me" spin to get around any kind of meaningful growth. Plus, you had a weak coin collecting subplot.

This episode was far better due to not betraying Lisa's character, actually having Lisa's mentor encourage her to realize her potential, better gags, no subplot and the lack of a deus ex machina ending where Lisa might <gasp> actually maintain this development going forward (she can remain interested/talented in magic just as she has with her Buddhism and vegetarianism).

Bear in mind, I enjoyed aspects of All About Lisa but it boasted a number of flaws as well. The fundamental difference between that ep and this one is that in The Great Simpsina, Matt bothered to give the characters "motivation". Whereas John Frink's All About Lisa just had a bunch of stuff that happened. Sideshow Mel's involvement was really its one saving grace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    The main problems with AAL is that the plot devices employed to get Lisa into clowning were hackneyed, she exploited her position to kick Krusty to the curb and they hit the proverbial reset button at the end with a lame "don't turn out like me" spin to get around any kind of meaningful growth.
    AAL's story was a retelling of events from Sideshow Mel's perspective, and, yes, the 'reset button' was used, but was actually used well enough here it didn't matter. And I certainly don't find Lisa's rise to famy 'hackneyed' because being the shy little girl she is, she let the audience's appreciation get to her head, which caused her to behave irrationally.

Plus, you had a weak coin collecting subplot.
    The subplot wasn't weak, it brought some levity to Lisa's side of the story, as a good subplot should do. Besides, in AAL, had Homer's line: ""Like life, coin-collecting stopped being fun a long time ago," which was funnier than most of the jokes in "Simpsina."

This episode was far better due to not betraying Lisa's character, actually having Lisa's mentor encourage her to realize her potential, better gags, no subplot and the lack of a deus ex machina ending where Lisa might <gasp> actually maintain this development going forward (she can remain interested/talented in magic just as she has with her Buddhism and vegetarianism).
    That's just saying 'because the reset button wasn't used it was automatically better," yet how did making her a Buddhist a permanent change make her a better character?

Bear in mind, I enjoyed aspects of All About Lisa but it boasted a number of flaws as well. The fundamental difference between that ep and this one is that in The Great Simpsina, Matt bothered to give the characters "motivation". Whereas John Frink's All About Lisa just had a bunch of stuff that happened. Sideshow Mel's involvement was really its one saving grace.
    Lisa wasn't spurred by internal motivation, she was artificially nurtured by the 'Biz', and as Sideshow Mel stated: "It's an addiction," an addiction that was going to lead to her burning out. AAL was a story about Lisa being caught up in a river of uncertainty and saved by Mel, while "Simpsonia" was about a little girl walking hand in hand down a path of apprenticeship, but that path was filled with a bunch of unfunny, non-sequitors, but unlike AAL it did have the better resolution.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

This is the first new episode in a while that I actually remembered to watch. It's a shame that I now have such little regard for new episodes of a show I care so much about.

Anyway, the first two acts were quite good. The country singer was surprisingly funny, and there were some great visual gags (ie. the bullies throwing Brat but keeping the peaches). Martin Landau did a great job as the magician, and I'm surprised that he was given such a large role in the episode.

The next two acts kind of fell apart and seemed rushed and lacking in humour. The magician guest stars in particular seemed quite forced. Some of Teller's jokes were good, but the rest of their lines were largely forgettable.

I'd say 4/5 for the first half, 2/5 for the second, and an even 3/5 for the whole thing.

You know is that me or when Homer defended lisa seemed like really sweet

a 3/5 if you ask me

Why did they leave out the opening?

Not so bad, but nothing really special. Penn & Teller's new appearance was nowhere near as funny as "Hello Gudder, Hello Fadder".

3.0/5

Full review up on my blog, but in a nutshell I loved it. This is the best use of guest stars we have had in a very long time. Martin Landau was just stellar, and while I cringed when the crew of magicians burst into the scene, the results were hilarious. The story was an engaging one, and the humor was hitting on all cylinders after we'd escaped from the doldrums that was the opening bit with the peaches. Lots of laughs, lots of good story-telling, and even an emotional core done with a light touch. One of the absolute best of the season. 5/5 for modern era Simpsons.
    "Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Wellington View Post
    it was good during the first three acts, but the random cameos at the end were dumb. Penn and Teller, while kind of appearing out of nowhere, were pretty funny. pretty much all their lines made me laugh.

i'm giving it a 4/5. good first three acts, kinda boring (except for penn and teller) 4th act
    Yeah, I wasn't too big on them, either. Penn and Teller's apperence seemed kinda unnecissary. It was nice to see them again and all, but it didn't really add anything.

I did like the episode, though. Good jokes here and there. And I really liked the animation of this episode. It was nice to see Lisa slip up. She's too perfect, they need to make her more human again. For a season filled with mediocrety, I found this one to be a diamond in the rough. I give it a 4/5.
    "I'll die before I surrender,Tim."

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Kind of a weak beginning, and kind of a weak climax, but that aside, I really enjoyed it. They probably had a lot of fun animating this one and it wasn't boring to watch, which is definitely a good thing when you have an episode focusing on magic. Raymondo was a good character that I actually did feel for, which is surprising considering how little you tend to care for one timer characters on this show nowadays, but really nice to see they could come up with a new guy who actually did feel well-rounded and that I liked. Pretty good conflict between him and Lisa as well regarding the final trick as well, and a good way of getting Lisa to spill. Enjoyable episode for sure.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

4/5 - the main reason I didn't consider 5/5 was, I have been following magic since long before Matt Groening thought up The Simpsons, and I was surprised Ricky Jay and David Copperfield would involve themselves in a show that revealed, well, if that's not at least "a" way for doing the Milk Can Escape, it should be. (Penn & Teller, not so much.)
    My first thought was, "Maybe somebody else objected, and that's why the opening credits are missing," but the three executive producers are credited, so the only thing "missing" is the title, and that appears near the end of the closing credits.

(Note to Matt Warburton: Google "Melinda Saxe".)

And apparently that trip to the Holy Land did Homer some good after all; he not only knows who Jesus is, but he knows Judas betrayed him and was paid for it.

Okay, who said "Lyrics":
    Oh, the year's first peach / Is a juicy peach / And he sings a happy tune
    And the year's second peach / Is a grouchy peach / More like a prune
    Now the year's third peach / Is a God-fearin' peach / Does what the Good Book tells him
    And the year's fourth peach / Is a moldy peach / Shame on the man that sells him
    Now the year's fifth peach / Is a fuzzy peach / Its kisses are quite ticklish
    And the year's sixth peach / Is a brining peach / It tastes so fine and picklish
    And the year's seventh peach / Is a learned peach / It's workin' on a novel
    But the year's eighth peach / Is a real proud peach / You'll never see it grovel
    Oh, the year's ninth peach / Is a tough old peach / But he'll make a hearty stew
    And the year's tenth peach / Is a rotten peach / Take a whiff - P.U.!

-- Don

yah, no, it was good for season 22.
    but if you really think about it....
    there weren't many LOL moments. I chuckled here and there. But this can't compare to what episodes on the simpsons use to be
    a little predictable, nothing to do about that. I think it's about time they did some kind of parody of the illusionist and preistege,
    I didn't like the guest magicians, penn and teller was already on the simpsons, but their last apperance was WAYYY better!
    Yeah, I donno, it was a pretty dry episode. 2/5

another thing, why was lisa so obvious in telling that boy the trick?
    like you'd THINK she'd think twice if she were to be trusted with such a secret that she wouldn't tell anyone, or there would be more of a trick build up.
    yeah, honestly I can't exactly say that this episode felt like I was watching the simpsons, it just felt like I was watching a show. that's all

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

yeah, Lisa instantly giving away the secret seemed pretty stupid, kind of a meh episode, a generous 3/5
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Now that's more like it. This season fell into a funk for a while for me, with alot of forgettable or just plain bad episodes in a row, but this one was really good, probably up there with Homer the Father as one of the best of the season.

It didn't start out great though. Jack McBrayer's appearance was kind of funny, but really, what was the point of the peaches? Sure we had a funny gag here or there (Bart getting thrown made me laugh really hard), but the episode really could have just started with Lisa meeting Raymondo. When she did however, things really took off. I'm happy with Lisa's characterization and fascination with magic, this could have very easily been one of those times where Lisa's skeptical nature makes her unlikable and stuffy, but seeing her embrace the art of illusions was great. Martin Landau was magnificent as Raymondo also, just the right voice of warmth and wisdom, but also getting a number of good gags of his own too. His backstory about his wife, while a little vague, was also very sweet and emotional, and the scene at the very end could have been wacky or over-the-top, but ends up being a nice note to finish with. It was also pretty fun to see the mocking of illusionists like Criss Angel who have taken the class and theatricality out of magic and made the whole thing seem too extreme.

Of course, we knew Lisa was going to spill the beans about the magic trick, so that plot point was a tad predictable, but it was nice to see Homer stick up for Lisa. Sure the whole scene is a little wacky what with him in the net, but hearing him say what needed to be said was satisfying. The last moments of the show I'm a tad divided on however. I think it was a really clever idea to see a climax where Raymondo's illusion is usurped and attempted, but something goes wrong. However, that's more than enough crisis and action for the final act to end on. Instead, we then get that entire sequence with the other magicians stepping in and the entire action climax was just too goofy. There were a few good jokes here and there, like Penn and Teller's curse, but it just wasn't all that necessary. We could have had plenty of suspense with just seeing the conflict of Raymondo and Lisa wanting to save another magician, but worrying about having to reveal in front of everybody what the secret of the trick is, not to mention just the morality behind saving a guy who willingly put his life in danger after deceiving Lisa and Raymondo. I can't say it ruined the episode, but it's just a little weird for me.

Still, there was alot to like here. Good jokes, very nice story (with a few hiccups), a great guest performance, and a little bit of heart too. I give this episode a 4/5.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

The Great Simpsina

Honestly. This wasn't bad, this is one of the few episodes to ditch the opening and go straight to the peach farm, which admittingly was a bad way to start off an episode. The peach song just tested my patience and while some of the jokes in the beginning were good, they were just stretching it with the peaches based humor. Although seeing Bart getting thrown made up for it.

The way the story started off was done well Lisa looking through the house, appearing in a different location when she was in the crypt and meeting Raymundo, who I like admittingly. The strong point of this episode is Lisa, yes there is finally an episode which features Lisa that is better then "LSTIYL", most of what she does is realistic, childlike and grabbing. Some of the jokes while in Raymundo's house (including 3 good list gags) were also done well, and we get a sense for Raymundo's character throughout the episode. Seeing Lisa ditch her skepticism and perform Magic was also nice but the tricks seemed mostly simple, kind of taking most of the momentum out of the episode. You know, if they're going to parody magic, they can parody the complicated stuff rather then the simple stuff that's exaggerated to seem supernatural in nature. Some of the stuff involving the children was nice though, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Anyways, a great deal through the episode, Lisa learns the ultimate milk tub trick (which was referenced earlier, and plays an important part of the episode which was nice.) and he does the trick at school. While it was nice to see her do it, the trick ultimately felt too simple (Lisa escaping and sneaking to the back unexpected.). Lisa being tricked was a good show of her character (even though it was a bit predictable.), most of these episodes show her as a perfect woman so that was nice, and most of the child likeness throughout these acts were nice. I admit, I didn't like the whole "Mindfreak" parody being laced around the episode (the references to stealing tricks and retiring make it different, but it's just not enough.) It was nice to see Mindfreak play a part in the story though, so thumbs up for that. I liked seeing a depressed Lisa and Homer was not bad (at least he's his fatherly self and not some person who does something random to be funny.) Raymundo and Lisa meeting back together was done better then I thought.

The last act involving Mindfreak and an audience is 50/50. I'm saying that because the magic parody thing has worn out it's welcome at this point and it just feels like the writers are trying too hard (just like the mafia parodies in Donnie Fatso.) The other half is done well admittingly with Mindfreak being trapped in the jar by these rival magicians and Raymundo doing nothing to save him. So that leaves Lisa to save him until these rival magicians appear... I didn't like it that these magicians appeared this late in the game and that there was an action sequence. Raymundo appears at the last minute (after disappearing.) to save Lisa in a somewhat clever way and rescue Mindfreak with the amazing magical powers... Seeing Mindfreak and his son is cute and the ending where Homer and her family watch Lisa perform and Raymundo smokes Ether to be with his dead wife was nice admitingly. I also liked that they didn't try to do anything crazy to end the show this time around (except for switching Bart with Milhouse but that was near the end.)

I have to say, while the emotional core was good, the opening opened the episode in a disappointing way and most of the magic stuff failed to hook me (most of it looking like they're trying too hard.) Lisa was herself and her and Raymundo feels like a perfect combination. Most of the kids were themselves and most of the jokes hit their marks. They managed to fit every second of the plot well (seeing as how there's no subplot for the second time of the season.) and they managed to end on a sweet note without any additional weirdness. However, they were trying too hard on most of the stuff (Mindfreak especially) and it feels like some of the stuff could of been toned down. This doesn't distract from the fact that it was a good episode, just focus primarily on the emotional core and you'll do just fine.

6.5/10

P.S.: They manage to add alot of edge in this episode yet they can't cross the border when it comes to nuclear disaster. Sad how low this show has gotten.
    Last edited by Zombies Rise from the Sea; 04-11-2011 at 12:44 AM.
    My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Squirrel View Post
    yeah, Lisa instantly giving away the secret seemed pretty stupid, kind of a meh episode, a generous 3/5
    This part was clearly rushed and somewhat contrived but from Lisa's perspective it probably seemed harmless. A cute boy was actually showing an interest in her and she figured revealing an old magician's secret would be an easy way to score some points with him.

How was she supposed to know the kid was a spy for Cregg Demon? Why would he be staking out a little girl's magic act for trick ideas to begin with? It was a clear error in judgment that played on her trust but it's not really something we should be trying to logically rationalize either. It made for an effective source of conflict.

NHC's fly on the wall treehouse of hutz I, II, & III's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    The Great Simpsina

Honestly. This wasn't bad, this is one of the few episodes to ditch the opening and go straight to the peach farm, which admittingly was a bad way to start off an episode. The peach song just tested my patience and while some of the jokes in the beginning were good, they were just stretching it with the peaches based humor. Although seeing Bart getting thrown made up for it.

The way the story started off was done well Lisa looking through the house, appearing in a different location when she was in the crypt and meeting Raymundo, who I liked admittingly. I have to admit, the strong point of this episode is Lisa, yes there is finally an episode which features Lisa that is better then "LSTIYL", most of what she does is realistic, childlike and grabbing. Some of the jokes while in Raymundo's house (including 3 good list gags) were also done well, and we get a sense for Raymundo's character throughout the episode. Seeing Lisa ditch her skepticism and perform Magic was also nice but the tricks seemed mostly simple, kind of taking most of the momentum out of the episode. You know, if they're going to parody magic, they can parody the complicated stuff rather then the simple stuff that's exaggerated to seem supernatural in nature. I have to admit, some of the stuff involving the children was nice though, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Anyways, a great deal through the episode, Lisa learns the ultimate milk tub trick (which was referenced earlier, and plays an important part of the episode which was nice.) and he does the trick at school. While it was nice to see her do it, the trick ultimately felt too simple (Lisa escaping and sneaking to the back unexpected.). I have to admit, Lisa being tricked was a good show of her character (even though it was a bit predictable.), most of these episodes show her as a perfect woman so that was nice, and most of the child likeness throughout these acts were nice. I admit, I didn't like the whole "Mindfreak" parody being laced around the episode (the references to stealing tricks and retiring make it different, but it's just not enough.) It was nice to see Mindfreak play a part in the story though, so thumbs up for that. I liked seeing a depressed Lisa and Homer was not bad (at least he's his fatherly self and not some person who does something random to be funny.) Raymundo and Lisa meeting back together was done better then I thought.

The last act involving Mindfreak and an audience is 50/50. I'm saying that because the magic parody thing has worn out it's welcome at this point and it just feels like the writers are trying too hard (just like the mafia parodies in Donnie Fatso.) The other half is done well admittingly with Mindfreak being trapped in the jar by these rival magicians and Raymundo doing nothing to save him. So that leaves Lisa to save him until these rival magicians appear... I didn't like it that these magicians appeared this late in the game and that there was an action sequence. Raymundo appears at the last minute (after disappearing.) to save Lisa in a somewhat clever way and rescue Mindfreak with the amazing magical powers... I have to admit, seeing Mindfreak and his son is cute and the ending where Homer and her family watch Lisa perform and Raymundo smokes Ether to be with his dead wife was nice admitingly. I have to admit, they didn't try to do anything crazy to end the show this time around (except for switching Bart with Milhouse but that was near the end.)

I have to say, while the emotional core was good, the opening opened the episode in a disappointing way and most of the magic stuff failed to hook me (most of it looking like they're trying too hard.) Lisa was herself and her and Raymundo feels like a perfect combination. Most of the kids were themselves and most of the jokes hit their marks. They managed to fit every second of the plot well (seeing as how there's no subplot for the second time of the season.) and they managed to end on a sweet note without any additional weirdness. However, they were trying too hard on most of the stuff (Mindfreak especially) and it feels like some of the stuff could of been toned down. This doesn't distract from the fact that it was a good episode, just focus primarily on the emotional core and you'll do just fine.

6.5/10

P.S.: They manage to add alot of edge in this episode yet they can't cross the border when it comes to nuclear disaster. Sad how far this show has gotten.
    You like to say mindfreak and admit alot don't ya?

This was a great episode.
    Signature.

Thread Information