View Poll Results: How do you rate "A Midsummer's Nice Dream"? (NABF09)

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Up in Smoke

8 11.27%
  • 4/5: Nice Dreams

13 18.31%
  • 3/5: Things are Tough all Over

18 25.35%
  • 2/5: The Next Movie

23 32.39%
  • 1/5: Yellowbeard

9 12.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "A Midsummer's Nice Dream" (NABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "A Midsummer's Nice Dream" (NABF09)

A Midsummer's Nice Dream (NABF09)
    When Tommy Chong gets tired of the "old school" Cheech & Chong routines during their nationwide reunion tour, Cheech Marin finds a new partner - Homer - and "Cheech & Chunk" perform the classics, while Chong teams up with Principal Skinner to form "Teach & Chong"; Marge tries to help the Cat Lady stop her hoarding of cats, but ends up becoming a hoarder herself

Magnetic Typo

That Homer fantasy was incredible. Otherwise, it went way down hill after the first act, I felt.

Blog Entries

that was, for me, hilarious. moments i thought were funny:

lenny's suspenders and carl's "The first snap killed ou friendship, the second snap buried it"

bart asking what beavis and butthead was and homer all "i failed you as a parent!"

homer in the attic, wondering what he smoked and seeing it was asbestos.

homer changing the lyrics to low rider in the van

homer's comments about the van, like asking what it was made of

"And homer made up with mom"
    "tomorrow you can watch us on hulu.com"- i only found this funny because of how lame it was.

i laughed at a lot of lines, obviously. the only things i don't like are how to me, the crazy cat lady's plot seemed kinda rushed. but it was still probably one of the funniest episodes of the season, to me. 4/5 or so because i didn't care for the cat lady plot a lot

An outstanding episode. My favorite parts was Bart not knowing who Beavis and Butthead were, the downfall of Blockbuster video, and Bart's closing speech that includes watching the episode tomorrow on hulu.com which is a sign of the times. The subplot was excellent and the main plot did a great job with both guest stars.

5/5

Blog Entries

Decent episode, I enjoyed it, but the plot and gags were nothing special. I did find the Cat Lasy subplot to be funnier than the main Homer plot. I didn't like the ending gag with Bart, it made no sense. At least everyone was in character. That's really all I have to say about this episode. 3/5
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Gotta hand it to Dan & Deb... they managed to squeeze in a new list joke every 3 minutes.
    Marge's entire hoarding subplot was one big listjoke sequence. So was every Lisa line. And they still managed some for the main plot as well.

Dan knows his character so some of the Homer material was amusing (i.e. the Low Rider lyrics bit, stoner fantasy sequence) but a lot of this ep felt like a bad self-insertion fanfic. Homer was the center of attention in every scene he was in while everyone else was mere window dressing. It was like what would happen if Homer's ideas for his Poochie character actually happened... except substitute Itchy & Scratchy for Cheech & Chong. Castellaneta actually BECAME Homer from the Poochie episode when penning this script.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 03-13-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Junior Camper

Loved it.

Maybe I was just in a great mood but I thought is was epic. To me, it was a perfect example of correctly using the guest stars. Was it silly, of course, and I'm glad. I thought the hulu line was a nice touch as well, as many a times I catch the episodes there. 5.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post

Dan knows his character so some of the Homer material was amusing but a lot of this ep felt like a bad self-insertion fanfic. Homer was the center of attention in every scene he was in while everyone else was mere window dressing. It was like what would happen if Homer's ideas for his Poochie character actually happened... except substitute Itchy & Scratchy for Cheech & Chong. Castellaneta actually BECAME Homer from the Poochie episode when penning this script.
    This sums it up for me, too. Homer was giddly like an 11yr old on a sugar high, which became annoying by the second act. Not to mention the whole 'reunion' just came out of nowhere and "Teach and Chong's" skit was so mind numbingly awful, it almost made eyeballs falling out seem funny.

2/5

I thought the main plot worked pretty well, and there were a lot of good gags (the old comedy albums thing had me rolling). My main issue with this one was the subplot, which seemed predictable, tacked-on and highly unecessary. That said, Homer's fantasy along with all the scenes featuring Skinner and Chong were thoroughly amusing. I'd say the good outweighed the bad here, enough for me to give it a solid 3.5/5.

Side note: As much I liked this one, I am looking forward to DHS ripping it to shreds. they should have a lot to work with.

Very good episode, Homer's singing bit was very funny. Also, I am new here.

Blog Entries

welcome, mr. penguin.

btw, two things:

is this mr. tall man's first appearance since city of new york vs homer simpson? or he has been in crowd scenes or something?

why was this TV-14? it didn't seem that bad. is it because of the weed references?

Mama took those batteries Bankrupt Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was pretty good! I barely know who Cheech and Chong are (I'm only 15 years old), but that episode had some of the cleverest jokes I'd seen in ages. My favorite was probably the tall man saying "I don't find this funny at all." I liked Homer changing the lyrics, too. I thought I'd like the hoarding subplot a lot more than the main plot, but it turns out the main plot seemed better written out. This was a good episode that kept me happy. I gave it a 3, but upon thinking about it, I bump it up to a 4/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by dman360 View Post
    Don't tell what to do fuck face, and I'm not changing it I do what I want so fuck you bitch
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first scene in the subplot with Marge and Lisa at the cat lady's house reminded me of the 'COPS' episode that came on yesterday night.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Wellington View Post
    why was this TV-14? it didn't seem that bad. is it because of the weed references?
    Probably (especially with one scene where they actually show a couple of joints). I know that in movies, pretty much any drug reference is an automatic minimum PG-13 (and note that Otto smoking a bong is one of things Fox cut from its airing of The Simpsons Movie).

Speaking of which, the show didn't get a "viewer discretion advised" warning even though it was TV-14, and less than a week ago, Glee got its first VDA warning even though every episode is TV-14.

-- Don

I don't know, this one didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm being a little harsh since the jokes were for the most part good, but story and structure-wise, I'm very disappointed.

This was a fairly funny episode overall, with some good moments, like Abe's "wake me when I'm dead" line, the tryouts that Chong was holding (Ralph made me laugh pretty hard), and the Cat Lady seeing Cats. The characterization of Homer actually made him pretty funny and likable too. It's been done before, but I liked the idea of Homer realizing that Cheech wasn't like his on-screen persona and having to struggle with the situation he got himself into. And I even liked where the Chong story was going with Skinner becoming his new partner. The problem is, I liked where it was going, but it never got there.

We didn't need a C plot with the cat lady and Marge becoming a hoarder. It just felt lazy and out-of-place to be cramming this story into an episode that already had a completely serviceable A-plot and a B-plot with potential. I never bought Marge becoming a hoarder and her transformation happens so late and gets so little time to breathe anyway, she never came across as crazy or obsessive enough to fill the role that she was given. It might have worked if this was a subplot to a different episode, but here it just gets distracting. Not to mention that its resolution feels so tossed in that it makes the entire thread feel like filler. As I said earlier, I liked the idea of Chong and Skinner doing bits together, with Skinner being funny and daring by not being funny, but we don't get any of that because they wasted time with the hoarding plot. They establish a decent idea and they don't use it? Even the main plot with Homer and Cheech, while plotted well enough, could have used a few more laughs (that hallucination bit actually frustrated me with how long it was). I might have liked the main plot more if we actually got to see Homer and Cheech doing more bits together. I would have wanted to see that, it sounds funny, but instead we just get backstage drama.

I'm torn because the humor wasn't bad, but this episode really needed a trim here and there with its plot. Maybe it's just harsh disappointment and I'll change my mind later, but this episode gets a 2/5 from me.
    When I grow up I'm going to Bovine University

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

A Midsummer's Nice Dream

Okay, I've read that this episode is written by Dan Castella himself. While he does have the humor in him, this episode really didn't bring it out. Not to say that there aren't some really good jokes.

Most of the episode focuses on Homer and most of the jokes are good, though I did not find Cheech or Chong particularly hooking, seeing as how most of the moments don't seem to give them much character, only serving to serve Homer as the character, or to include a joke. Though seeing Homer with Cheech had some moments.

The flashback was interesting but it went on for way, way to long. The payoff with Homer eating his arm was nice but seriously, these sequences should not waste any time that could be filled with plot/rapid fire jokes. I'm getting tired of the whole Principal Skinner/Chalmers thing, they seem to be appearing "everywhere" now and it's just getting very tiring to listen to them in like every episode, doesn't he care that he has a school to run?

The subplot was not fully exposed, nor was it funny. Marge spends like a few minutes with the cat lady before she becomes a horder (I thought that Marge would become a horder with the Cat Lady but apparently they couldn't make that work in the least bit, though it would of been really funny.) The whole thing could of been done without the list gag (that would of allowed the subplot to be more fleshed out.) and the sudden resolution was not funny to me, it was ticking me off that they don't bother to make permanent changes to Springfield, it's like they want to keep the Cat Lady crazy or Mr. Burns alive or even Skinner in Springfield, why should I care for the subplot if nothing is ever going to change.

I will never get used to these sudden resolutions. So Cheech and Chong are back together and while some of the moments were nice, it just should of been executed much more better, if only these writers knew that the time to write the scripts matters the most. I also did not like Bart appearing in the end with a fantasy sequence telling us about what happened, feels to me like they're taking the Scully route with these endings, but with some emotion to appease the fans.

In short, there were some jokes that I liked (such as the laughing gas jokes.) But as a whole feels like some really good jokes packed into a brim of usual stuff like list jokes, keeping the status quo and trying to hard to pass off stupid as funny. I have to admit, the jokes they kept coming up with were good but the stupid moments make you notice how much they don't care or respect anything. Still, it was nice that they tried to be funny.

4.5/10
    My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Probably (especially with one scene where they actually show a couple of joints). I know that in movies, pretty much any drug reference is an automatic minimum PG-13 (and note that Otto smoking a bong is one of things Fox cut from its airing of The Simpsons Movie).

Speaking of which, the show didn't get a "viewer discretion advised" warning even though it was TV-14, and less than a week ago, Glee got its first VDA warning even though every episode is TV-14.

-- Don
    "There's Something About Marrying", despite NOT being the first TV-14 rated episode, is the only Simpsons episode to air with a "Viewer Discretion Advised" disclaimer and it was mostly due to the topic of same-sex marriages.

Apparently, depictions and use of weed is not as bad as same-sex marriages according to the FOX executives.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

So basically... It was that one South Park episode... But with Cheech and Chong instead of Terrence and Philip, and with nothing as funny as Philip doing Canadian Shakespeare.

I am not sure if I could have given any less of a fuck.

Some imaginative sequences, decent jokes here and there, a somewhat entertaining one dimensional subplot that actually did find a way to tie into the main plot, blah blah blah don't care.

slouching toward nirvana nathan's Avatar

with the shorter run time now, having three stories (i guess technically it would still be A and B but when cheech and chong split up the A story split in two) is just about impossible to pull off. it showed here as this episode didn't play out organically at all and this is my main complaint as it lead to a very cut-up feeling episode. that being said, i found a lot to like here...interesting idea for plots as well as dan getting to really engulf himself in his acting. the highlight of the entire thing was homer's dream which featured some of the best animation in the history of the show, hands down.

probably my favorite episode of the season thus far

4/5
    Last edited by nathan; 03-14-2011 at 02:23 AM.

It was alright, rated 4/5 because its a 4/5 compared to other episodes in this season

But it wasn't THAT good
    Last edited by Üter; 03-14-2011 at 03:39 AM.
    Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!

King of the Rock Bottom The Sovereign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meh

2.5/5

Internet, eh? Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar

Bring back the popping out eyeballs!!

Seriously though...

Dan knows his character so some of the Homer material was amusing (i.e. the Low Rider lyrics bit, stoner fantasy sequence) but a lot of this ep felt like a bad self-insertion fanfic. Homer was the center of attention in every scene he was in while everyone else was mere window dressing. It was like what would happen if Homer's ideas for his Poochie character actually happened... except substitute Itchy & Scratchy for Cheech & Chong. Castellaneta actually BECAME Homer from the Poochie episode when penning this script.
    That. Also, why is Homer so into drugs in this episode? He's never been before, he was very hesitant in 'A Weekend At Burnsies'. Bad characterization. Also, why does being in the presence of garbage make you instantly crazy? Bad storytelling. Also, did we need Bart at the end? Bad Bart.

I liked the CCL at Cats and Homer's song.

Blog Entries

Bland
    1/5

If I knew previously who these celebrities were, perhaps I'd feel differently. However, seeing Homer have to save some stand-up of some unknown celebrities based on the flimsy premise fell flat, in my opinion.

Secondly, four list jokes, the first two from Lisa. I swear they put these in to annoy people like me. They're devoid of humour, the worst offender being "Skinner, this dessert menu is funnier than you!" That's great, writers. Just draw a list of puns and get the audience to read them.

Crazy cat lady stopped being funny long, long ago. I'd wish they'd just stop rolling her out. For example, we have to sit through a portion of a Cats song just to see her use a cat as a tissue. There was no sense of development in this episode, either; crazy cat lady looks sane for a few seconds, then she's crazy again. What a wild ride.
    Anyway, Marge becoming a hoarder? Guess someone watched the Inception parody in South Park. :|

Skinner's drive to be a teacher was inspired by someone as unenthusiastic and boring as his current incarnation? What happened to the prankster episode where it turned out he was a "cool dude" until one prank went too far?

The hippy sequence wasn't entertaining, but it was time consuming. I guess that fulfills its purpose.

I didn't care for the conclusion at all. I didn't motivated to like the celebrities and so I didn't care whether they reconciled or not. I feel the writers failed on that aspect. We didn't really see the characters miss each other. Homer's partner in fact was doing well and perhaps his counterpart wasn't, but even that didn't translate into any sentiment. I assume the Bart epilogue was just to give the voice actor some work, right?

=====

My main problem with these sorts of episodes is that it feels like at the end, nothing has really happened. There's no real sense of development; things just happen then the status quo is restored. Presumably the writers feel that by inserting these celebrities, that no character development is necessary. It's as if they assume the viewer already knows them.
    The writers tell us that the celebrities do stoner humour and that's it. Are we not supposed to care that their friendship was damaged? Or are we supposed to just be content that Homer goes on a crazy journey? If it's the latter, then why the attempt at the emotional reconciliation?

Secondly, the actual concepts aren't developed. Instead, they're just shown at two points.
    They're going to clean cat lady's house; the house is immediately clean.
    Cat lady walks back in; cat lady's sane.
    Chong finds Skinner; we're shown one example of a show going badly with no idea how they arrived there.
    Marge starts picking up trash; the house is full of trash.
    Cat lady walks in; she's crazy again.

It's lazy, it's boring and it's not the way things used to be for animated sitcoms. Go watch an episode from season one from Family Guy and you can see the themes develop. Time's precious and it's mostly used for contextual jokes and theme development.
    Last edited by Mr. Krikt; 03-14-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I liked this episode. I wish they showed more with Chong and Skinner. I didn't like Bart's speech at the end but since seeing the title of this episode I now understand why it is in the episode. Is it actually possible for a person helping a hoarder beome a horder themselves?

4/5... I actually really liked it. They took a weird & wacky premise, but didn't execute it in an overly cartoony or unbelievable manner. I love that they just had Cheech and Chong play themselves in a real way and made a plot out of not going on "wacky" adventures like in "Beyond Blunderdome" or "When you dish upon a Star". This was free of everything that made those episodes so terrible. Also, It seems like every episode this seasons, even the bad ones, seem to have Homer acting exactly as he should, which is something that hasn't been as consistent since like season 14. And the dream sequence was so good, I screencapped that shit soon as I saw it. I actually laughed at the animation itself, which is rare these days. Snap, snap!

Also, the hoarding thing doesn't have anything to do with the South Park inception episode. Both South Park and Simpsons were inspired by the popularity of reality show "Hoarders".
    Last edited by Mira; 03-14-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Two unremarkable stories with very little laughs. The breakup of a professional duo has been done long before South Park, but there didn't seem to be anything special about this one. The subplot dives into familiar terrain of improving a downtrodden character's lifestyle, only for everything to magically return to normal by the end.

2.5/5

M-E-H 2/5

Also, the hoarding thing doesn't have anything to do with the South Park inception episode. Both South Park and Simpsons were inspired by the popularity of reality show "Hoarders".
    Bit of a coincidence that both shows would base a (sub)plot on it. I guess it's just like the Muslim episodes of American Dad and South Park.
    The Simpsons must have been aware that they were treading over old ground, but whether they didn't care or else they were inspired by it isn't clear.

What I would like to know, considering how wafer-thin the subplot is, is whether it's supposed to be crazy cat lady becoming sane or Marge becoming an obsessive hoarder. Neither is developed properly and they're both restored so quickly.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I rated this one a 5/5, which is rather high praise. Technically, it's a 4.20/5.00, but I rounded up. Weed like to see more episodes like this, Simpsons team!

No, but seriously, not the greatest episode but I agree with those who were happy that the episode didn't dip into When You Dish Upon a Star territory. Story seemed believable from start to near finish (Bart as Puck, I blame on the reefer).

Despite only being 26, I'm aware of Cheech and Chong thanks to Comedy Central rerunning their stand up specials and movies back in the 90's (probably still do rerun them). I don't find them too funny, but the episode was spot on with their routines and characterizations.

I bought Homer loving Cheech and Chong, and the marijuana thing didn't throw me off. I think of Homer as liking the idea of getting high, for the sake of being like Cheech and Chong, but would be hesitant to actually smoke himself. Rather, he probably spent the 70's drinking and being around secondhand smoke, maybe trying it a few times. Remember, he was turned off to the drug after being bitten in the crotch by a drug dog while hiding a joint in his pants.
    UP AND ATOM!

Thread Information