View Poll Results: How do you rate "Angry Dad: The Movie"?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: The Oscars

14 11.97%
  • 4/5: The Golden Globes

27 23.08%
  • 3/5: The MTV Film Awards

30 25.64%
  • 2/5: The Razzies

28 23.93%
  • 1/5: The People's Choice Awards

18 15.38%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Angry Dad: The Movie" (NABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Angry Dad: The Movie" (NABF07)

Angry Dad: The Movie (NABF07)
    "The Simpsons are going to..." the Oscars when Bart tells Hollywood to "Eat my short!" - that is, his "Angry Dad" short film, which is nominated for the Animated Short Film Oscar

The Angry Dad Short was pretty funny (Not sure if I've seen it before though).
    Man if I wasn't so immature, I wouldn't have found the Space Penis part funny.
    I laughed at the "Angry Dad. THE MOVIE!" line.
    That song, was horrendous.
    That black and white film was cute at first, and then it went a little sour.
    The Jurassic Park music brought back memories.
    I actually felt sorry for Bart.
    Homers line "If I find out its the right number you're in trouble" was pretty funny.
    The animation for the Condiments short was amazing.
    The Wallace and Gromit parody, brough back some real good memories.
    "I'm more clay then man now", was hilarious.
    "Damn thats good" was pretty funny too.
    A lot better then I thought it would be.
    4/5
    I'm gonna go watch Jurassic Park now.
    Doesn't mean it's true

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Wow, there was not much to that one. It was basically a bunch of minute long parody segments (Itchy & Scratchy at the beginning, the Pixar bit, then the five short film clips) with a bit of plot crammed in between.

The itchy & Scratchy short was unspectacular. I remember the days when I&S was generally short, violent and to the point. Now most of them are long-winded parodies.

Bart imagining the fan as a clown's head was pretty funny. The first act was enjoyable, particularily the Angry Dad cartoon where he walked into the moon.

I also wonder how much the making of the Angry Dad movie was based on their experiences with the Simpsons Movie. I think it's safe to assume that most of the characters in the studio were based on animators. The bit with the table read was very good, especially with Homer phoning in.

There were a lot of time wasting segments in this one. The bit with the Pixar creators and characters also went on too long (and why not just call it Pixar?). Ricky Gervais' cameo appearance was also on the pointless side. Homer's ass drinking was also pretty stupid.

It was pretty good up until the end of the second act, then it devolved into a bunch of one-off parody segments and guest star monologues without much substance in there.
    Last edited by McClure; 02-20-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Eh, this had lots of amusing individual moments, but it was far too disjointed to enjoy as a whole. IMO, the best joke was Homer coming over the speaker phone at the table read, which is a reference to Harry Shearer doing table reads over a speaker phone. This felt like a bunch of sketches edited together that resembled a complete episode.

Also, the worst joke was Homer shuffling cards and drinking soda with his ass. Yikes!

2.5/5, or C-

EDIT: my internet crashed and I couldn't open the poll on time.

I really liked the first act, including I&S. 2nd act though, fell apart really bad, especially with the Homer ass jokes. The rest was such a rushed, mixed bag of mostly clips of the other shorts.
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

Pretend it's a reindeer Financial Prancer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. I have no idea how to put that into words. This was just bad. From the Itchy and Scratchy to the end, this was non-stop terrible. I barely smiled at all during this, and it seemed like an excuse to get more pointless guest appearances. The song was not funny, and the other shows up for the awards were awful, and I couldn't wait for them to end. We have Homer acting like a total jerk, then out of the blue, he sees his wrongdoings and makes up with Bart. They could have developed that more, instead of cramming jokes into guest stars that continually fall flat. 0/5, worst of the season, easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by dman360 View Post
    Don't tell what to do fuck face, and I'm not changing it I do what I want so fuck you bitch
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Homer's Triple Bypass Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Also, you've got to love the irony of The Simpsons writers making fun of Hollywood for running out of good ideas...

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed this very much, because it caters to animation oriented folks like me. The parodic films seen here are brilliant, and very funny, especially that one about the little girl and the tank. Pixar bashing is done very nicely when conducted with a Randy Newman song. Nick Park turns in a good guest performance. Matt Nastuk was not in top form tonight, but he wasn't too bad. 3.7 out of 5, almost entirley on the strength of parody.
    Last edited by zartok-35; 02-20-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

2/5

An uneven episode. There were too many gags that were stretched too far such as The Itchy and Scratchy cartoon at the beginning, the cameo by Ricky Gervais, the various robots singing a song and threatening Lisa, even the scenes from the other nominees which that especially was unexciting. The award scenes between the Golden Globes and the Oscars looked like a quick fix. The use of guest stars was too random that it seemed the names were drawn from a hat. A bunch of gags here and there such as Bart wrecking the house and Homer knocking over cubicles were cool and so were the "Angry Dad" film scenes. Homer phoning in his lines is a nice allusion to Harry Shearer's usual participation on The Simpsons.

On an unrelated note, for logical reasons I thought this would be the episode Stan Lee would guest star in but I was wrong.
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 02-20-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Blog Entries

i know the plot was rather disjointed, but most of the scenes from the other shorts as well as the Pixar song were hilarious. the gags were all relatively strong this week, but they could have spent a little more time developing the conflict between bart and homer. oh well, good gagfest. 12/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

The episode seemed like an effort to cram as many different styles of animation into 20 minutes, and for that I liked it. Joke-wise it was pretty stale.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

I actually thought this one was pretty good. I liked the guy in the theater that kept yelling, "Turn it off!" and shaking the seats. Gervais wasn't bad either
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Pretend it's a reindeer Financial Prancer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh yes he was.

They really shouldn't have done an Angry Dad reprise, because as predicted, it wasn't nearly as funny as in "I Am Furious Yellow".

These animation homages would've been much more clever if they used the real names of the companies and people they're parodying. Also, so many of the cartoon clips ran too long, and slowed the episode down significantly.

And Rick Gervais' two-time cameo...ugh.

2.5/5
    Last edited by Semaj; 02-20-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Blog Entries

i quite liked it, jokes-wise. but the plot was disjointed and weird. but i thought it funny moments- 4/5 or so

Wants you to do fine. NoOneFamous's Avatar

I might have enjoyed this excuse to do a series of minute long parodies and extended gags if any of them had been better than mediocre. Instead the whole episode I felt like the writers were nudging me after each parody: "Ehh? Get it? Aren't we edgy and clever??"

Mixar!! Oh man, where do they come up with this stuff???

1/5

Don't know what to say but there was some preety funny shit like the Pixar objects attacking Lisa. Didn't care for the insultingly obvious lampoons, though, even if they were cleverly animated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneFamous View Post
    Mixar!! Oh man, where do they come up with this stuff???

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

I liked the I & S cartoon, not as good as the classics, but I still thought is was funny, as for the rest.....sigh
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Banned
    Blog Entries

You know Mixar is bad, when Dixar can make you laugh by comparison.

Seriously, can anyone here try to come up with a better pun than Mixar? It can't be that hard.

Hixar... and like... it's an animation company run by Cletus and his friends? Jesus, I don't know. Mixar? Fuck.

Blog Entries

Pikel

its mascot is a pickle

Meh....really not much that great about this one. It was mainly just a bunch of short spoofs and parodies, although some were pretty good. Average episode.3/5

Blog Entries

Tonights episode was trippy and unreal! It took me for a wild ride,.. and now I want MORE! 5/5

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Angry Dad: The Movie

Tonight's episode goes to show that when you make your episode parody the movie awards, you get varied results, mainly bad. It was nice to see Bart using a fan to skateboard and almost dieing, Homer getting yogurt was alright and the opening where they reference the backstory of the internet company is good. Though retconning it was a very bad decision. I remember they were taking everything and leave, not having it burn in flames.

The animation parodies vary a lot, ranging from good to interesting to just plain pathetic. The only one I really liked was that W&G parody, that was interesting, funny and very much what a W&G short would look like. This episode is filled to the brim with Pixar references from The Incredibles to Toy Story (especially Toy Story, watch out when they parody it as Food Story! With the foods having to escape from the humans! Very clever!) and Wall-E... Funny how they don't bother to reference any other Pixar films, just the ones that are most popular. I felt myself disliking Mixar (I can come up with a better name then that), only a small part of it was funny/interesting. The most just come out as flat and/or dick sucking. Perhaps if they included DreamWorks Animation into the mix, and their vote rigging. Now that would of been clever/interesting since the Annies are rigged in their favor.

The various celebrity references did not resonate with me at the least bit, Ricky coming out as the least favorite for me. Most of them were just average in comparison... I feel like if they focused more on the awards then the celebrities then maybe, maybe they might make effective satire. At last, I did not get that.

The animation studio just felt like stuff that was done before in "Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life" but with Animation. Homer showing off his Angry Dad is somewhat funny but gets tiring and the reference to the Angry Dad voice actor dieing off was a nice reference, if only to get Homer to do the voice after doing an unfunny and in my opinion time wasting maze/domino gag. The people watching the film laughing then hating I felt was done before and Bart cutting up the film was in the middle.

The plot with Bart and Homer did not get much airtime, while it was cool to watch. I felt like I wanted more of it. Homer and Marge and the crazy 8's I disliked slightly due to the slightly outdated gang humor (GTA:SA did it better, though they did play 2Pac's California Love.) and the somewhat lack of focus on it. Maybe I'd like the Crazy 8's more if they were given more "character". The ending just feels unnatural due to the lack of time left (again, 3 acts is better.) Bart acknowledges the work his crew has done and Homer as well and they get back together as they split up Oscars for everyone... I doubt that the lesson was clear, I felt like Homer should of learned the lesson instead of Bart, would of worked better in the end.

While the plot sounds good on paper, this was not a good episode at all. It's got some interesting stuff going on and some of it's intentions are funny at heart but the execution is marred by lame parodies and an over reliance on celebrities. I feel like if The Simpsons are going to take the awards, then they're going to have to take out the sword with the skulls and the skulls on top and slay some heads. Still...

4.0/10

My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

Dixar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity Pumpkin View Post

Seriously, can anyone here try to come up with a better pun than Mixar? It can't be that hard.
    Silly Pumpkin, Trixar for kids.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 02-21-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

I have mix filligs about the episode.
    I enjoy it, but there was little to no plot and there where some jokes like Homer opening bottle with his ass which I found to be in a very poor taste.

At one hand I so happy that this epiosde made parody of my two favorite movies off all time - "Triplets of Belleville" and "Persepolis", but to be honest the "Brothers of Bowlville" (or wather it was called) had little to do with the actuall movie other the using simillar character desing and music and I guess the whole part of them sucking food with the noses was ment to be the spoof of Sylvain Chomets surreal humor. Similar with "Persepolis" which felt more like spoof of european animated (award wining) anti-war movies in general rather then actuall movie.

I don't see the point of making a spoof of Pixar if their not going use the actuall name, since they made every other posible refrence and even use the name of one of their movies "Cars".

I agree with what Bart said about the Oscars at the end that one man can not take credit for the entie movie.

Over all I like this episode but their where some very strange ides which where just.. well strange.

I really wish theyd stop stealing jokes from family guy quite so blatantly
    Randy Newman joke for example

I thought it was pretty good

I'm feeling generous so rating it a 4/5 here, mostly for it's originality

I'm a fan of Ricky Gervais but his lines were not good at all
    Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!

slouching toward nirvana nathan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by laurso99 View Post
    I really wish theyd stop stealing jokes from family guy quite so blatantly
    Randy Newman joke for example

you have have got to be kidding me.

Thread Information