View Poll Results: How Would you rate "Mom's I'd like to Forget" (NABF03)?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Mom, you're the best!

11 11.58%
  • 4/5: Mom, that's cool.

21 22.11%
  • 3/5: Mom, uh...It's "okay."

38 40.00%
  • 2/5: Mom, how could you?

16 16.84%
  • 1/5: I have no mother...

9 9.47%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Mom's I'd like to Forget" (NABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Mom's I'd like to Forget" (NABF03)

January 9, Moms I'd Like to Forget (NABF03)
    When Bart discovers that a fifth grader has a scar identical to one Bart has, Marge tells him about a club of mothers she was in once where they set playdates for their kids; when she tries to reform the club, things turn out better for Marge than they do for Bart

Banned
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed it more than the previous episode, but the Skype jab was pretty stupid. It didn't seem to have that many jokes anyway. Bart pressuring CBG by destroying a comic was pretty genius. The scar thing is unrealistic though because we never saw it. We get to see Baby Ralph dropped on his head, always a treat. Flanders with the extended moustache really made me laugh. As well as how they got the scar. It was nice to see a drunk Marge. I knew Bart was gonna light it when he said it wouldn't be the same. The conflict with the social life was also pretty good. The fact that the Mom's were lesbians was pretty damn unfunny. Also, it's a pretty predictable ending. I'm sorry. But I can only grant a 3.3/5 on this one.

The couch gag wasn't as long as normal, which is good! The Jets vs. Sharks joke, was silly, and the shine or rain line was kind of humorous. Poor Willy. Homer on the toilet carried on for just a little too long. The already solved crossword book was an alright gag. Found the hot tub gag/line to be funny. I enjoyed how they explained why Ralph is special. Enjoyed the garage scene.
    Pretty good episode. Not overly funny though. Story was pretty decent. 3/5
    Doesn't mean it's true

You keep at it Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That show was just...weird. I have no idea what to think about that. I gave it a 3/5, but...
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 01-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted The Telltale Head 2: Bart Gets an F The War of the Simpsons 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Blog Entries

For the most part, this was pretty good. Some of the scenes got run into the ground: Homer and the other Dad's, Moe on Skype, Homer doing his taxes, but the teacher's lounge brawl and Bart being taunted were the highlights. Ironically, the explanation of how the Scars came about was pretty stupid, though. But the best laugh of the night was the Ralph joke.

Eh, I'll be nice and give this a 4/5. (B+)

Also, an eye raising coincidence: Simpsons comics #27 is regarded to be the best Simpsons comic and I wonder if #27 of "Interesting Stories" was a intended to be a joke on that.

I approve of the Ralph gag.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    For the most part, this was pretty good. Some of the scenes got run into the ground: Homer and the other Dad's, Moe on Skype, Homer doing his taxes, but the teacher's lounge brawl and Bart being taunted were the highlights. Ironically, the explanation of how the Scars came about was pretty stupid, though.

Eh, I'll be nice and give this a 4/5. (B+)

Also, an eye raising coincidence: Simpsons comics #27 is regarded to be the best Simpsons comic and I wonder if #27 of "Interesting Stories" was a intended to be a joke on that.

The Simpsons isn't that clever anymore. So I doubt it.

Blog Entries

Too bad they didn't could make the episode in less than 8 months--Bart taking a picture of his butt with a number "4" scribbled on it and texting it to 5th grade class would've been hillarious.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Blog Entries

nothing really terrible in the episode but nothing really good either. i liked ralph falling on his head as a baby, homer doing the finished crosswords book (and sudoku in a later scene). the scars thing doesn't really work because we had never seen bart have a scar before this episode, and homer's line about "never being home this hour" isn't true, he has been home then loads of times, but that's really just me being nitpicky (and no, my grade isn't affected because of this). overall it was OK. 3/5 or so

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

Yeah, I really liked it. Most of the jokes hit, the plot was interesting. Not much to say, but pretty solid all around.

4/5

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked this episode but, man, was it inconsistent. Every time I would get on board with the episode, there would be some awkward distracting joke that would take me out of it.

The plot of this episode was one of the more tightly-written ones they've had in awhile. The opening setpiece of the dodgeball game (and the later rivalry) didn't go on for too long and introduced one of the major characters of the episode. The story concept itself is one fairly unique for the series. Young parents sitting around chatting during playdates is a fairly common occurrence, so it seems really logical that something like that happened with Marge in the past. It also isn't something life-changing in their lives, so we can't call foul on "Why didn't they bring this up yet?"

The only real hitch in the plot was Bart's dissatisfaction with the new kids. His change in attitude happened fairly quickly, so I didn't quite buy it. They all jumped off the treehouse, fell down laughing, and then Bart suddenly changes his mind. Just a little too quick. They should've had Bart a little more tentative about it, or maybe had one of them suggest doing it again right afterwards, to which Bart could try to shoot the idea down (unsuccessfully). The conclusion with Marge breaking up with the moms also happened a bit too fast. I think they should've trimmed down some of the stuff at The Android's Dungeon to make more room.

The ending was a bit predictable too, but that isn't that bad. I mean, what other solution can there be to a "mysterious scar" + "moms with preschoolers break-up mysteriously" story?

The real jarring part of this episode was Homer, whose jokes were extremely gimmicky. They were really piling on the "Boy, is Homer eccentric!" jokes tonight. First he eats peanuts in the shower (probably the best of these). Then, he does taxes on the toilet. Then he reads a book of completed crossword puzzles. These kinds of jokes struck me as more weird than funny. His interactions with the other dads were funny, however. I probably could've done without the last one, though.

3.5/5. Was hovering around a 4/5 in Act 2, but the hit-or-miss jokes dragged it down.

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

The feeling is mutual of Omaha

3/5

Tolerable, but the main problem is that the episode moved too slowly. The dodgeball tourmanent and rivalry were top notch and both Marge and Bart were portrayed nicely and the flashbacks were great. But the scenes where Homer was trying to befriend the husbands of the "cool moms" was unfunny filler scenes we didn't need. Bart's fantasy scene during dodgeball seemed misplaced.

Don't bad-mouth the head! Xt'Tapalatakettle's Avatar

As someone who has had Bell's Palsy, I'd like to say that Skype joke really didn't make sense. It's not like Bell's Palsy acts up and momentarily goes away. The face paralyzation doesn't go in and out, but is consistent and gradually goes away over the course of time. I'm sorry to bitch about something that seems so trivial, but it just irked me. If the joke were funny, I might overlook it.

That being said, I thought this episode was pretty strong overall. The pacing of the jokes was quite good and for some reason I found the Jets-Sharks joke to be hysterical. It did seem a little more like Homer-Think, but I'll accept that Bart's mind could wander the same way (I'm sure the show has done it before). As for Homer, I did enjoy him here. The completed Crossword Puzzles book was hysterical. I'm surprised that joke hasn't been thought of before.

I enjoyed how they jumped into this one with the dodgeball bit in the beginning. I do agree with others that the Bart story felt a little rushed. It seemed like he and the fifth-grader instantly became friends because they had the same scar. Marge explained that they had previously been friends, but that really didn't justify them being friends at this point, especially after the 4th grade vs. 5th grade feud.

For some reason, the lesbian joke wasn't that bad. This show went through its phase of kissing jokes, which were all pretty much horrid. It strangely seemed natural here.

Let's say 4/5, or B/B+.

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Only two hours until The Simpsons, and only one and a half hour tills American Dad! in California.

My fingers are at the ready...
    My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

Blog Entries

I thought it was pretty good. The plot was nothing outstanding, we've seen many of this calibur before, but it was executed in a way to provide good entertainment. I thought Bart's conflict was pretty interesting and I liked the explanation of how he got the scar. Marge's time with the other moms was pretty interesting to watch and I thought that Homer's time with the dads was a fun ny running gag. There were some pretty solid jokes, like Bart's vision of throwing a dodgeball, Marge's brain, the lesbian moms, ect. I also thought the characterizations were pretty good, seeing how Bart does have limits and Marge wanting time away from her kids and it didn't seem too hateful, like it was in Catch 'Em if You Can. I also liked how CBG was in character, he was funny. Overall, 4/5
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At first, I was thinking this was going to be a rip-off of the 'Not particulalrly desperate housewives' episode of American Dad. Not surprisingly, I was worng. This episode was deeper in some ways, and shallower in a few more ways. Chris Clements is probably my least favorite director on the show at the moment, but I don't hate him like Matt Nastuk. Comic Book guy was good fun for his roles in the episode. I also enjoyed the lesbian wives. Aside from that, this was pretty dull and forgetable for me. 2.4/5

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

For some reason this one reminded me of the ostrich episode from earlier this season, in that everything is handled as rather trivial. Meanwhile, the jokes were so-so, nothing that really blew me out of the water.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

the lesbian shit just didn't belong, neither did most of the rest of the episode. I did however enjoy Homer continuing to try and put away his tools after the garage blew up.
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

I could tell right from the get go that the first act was going to be a pointless shuttle to get us, however awkwardly, to focus on the scar on Bart and that-random-5th-grader-whose-voice-I-should-probably-know-but-we'll-never-see-again shared in common. And as predicted they completely forgot about that part of the plot, it was given no resolution, not even a throwaway line at the end.

As for the rest of the episode I got a chuckle at the Ralph getting dropped gag, but the rest felt bland and pretty uninteresting. When it got to 5 minutes remaining in the episode I could tell they were going to hammer out a rushed ending which is becoming pretty common these days unfortunately.

All in all I'd have to give this one a 2.5/5 which I will generously round up to a 3.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    Only two hours until The Simpsons, and only one and a half hour tills American Dad! in California.

My fingers are at the ready...
    Er, you were aware that there was a late NFL game on Fox, so there was no Fox programming from 7 to 8, right? (BTW, this was the last late game on Fox this season, besides the pre-emption for the Super Bowl, although there will probably be some 7-8 PM pre-emptions for NASCAR.)

Anyway, I gave it 2/5 - the "flashback" episodes are starting to run out of steam, especially with the "now I know why it ended that way" endings.

-- Don

Blog Entries

^i wouldn't really consider it a flashback episode in the way that i would "the way we was" "and maggie makes 3" or "the way we weren't," it was just an episode that incorporated a flashback moment like "three gays of the condo"

anyway, a good episode, relatively unspectacular but a decent 30 minutes. ralph getting dropped on his head was the highlight, but most of the homer stuff was great too. and i find it amusing that it took 22 years to introduce a 5th grade class. the cbg stuff was good too. i actually thought the ending with the kids and marge was sweet, so 13/15
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

It was resoundingly mediocre in every way, which I guess is pretty good for this season. There wasn't much really bad stuff and for once the couch gag didn't last two hours. The best bit was probably Bart's fantasies on dodgeball. The beginning was overall promising for this day and age, but it didn't keep it up, even if it didn't get really bad either. I enjoyed CBG's appearance though. There was some pretty random moments like Bart's shark thoughts but they weren't so bad that they'd really bother me. It's a low 3/5.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Er, you were aware that there was a late NFL game on Fox, so there was no Fox programming from 7 to 8, right? (BTW, this was the last late game on Fox this season, besides the pre-emption for the Super Bowl, although there will probably be some 7-8 PM pre-emptions for NASCAR.)
    I was not aware... I tuned into 7:30 to witness an episode of The Simpsons. "This Little Wiggy" I believe.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

I... enjoyed it, but it felt kind of weird to me. Mostly along the lines of how there didn't seem to be any real big point to the story, it was just a bunch of things that happened... but then there was a big point to it. Because the mystery of how Bart got his scar was supposed to be so huge, or at least, that's how it was built up. But really the point of the story came to be to get Marge to get away from her new friends... I mean, that's why Bart was trying to find out how he got his scar in the first place... So the "big moment" of the episode was really just another stepping stone leading up to another part of the episode... It was weird.

Some pretty funny moments throughout, though. I'm actually disappointed they had to go on to the play dates thing. I was really enjoying the whole fourth/fifth grade war, and how it extended into the teacher's lounge, the rain or shine bits. Aside from some forced Willy lines, that whole first act was pretty good, really. I'd love to see another episode take place primarily in the school, see how Skinner might have dealt with an all-out war between two grades, get parents involved from there, see where that goes. The play date thing was alright, but not really as interesting or as fun as the fourth/fifth grader thing. That was dropped really quickly. Hell, so was Bart's displeasure at hanging out with these new kids on the play dates. I liked Homer with the other dads, though, and that one actually never really felt all that repetitive to me.

I dunno. Not a bad episode by any means, but the flow just felt really bizarre to me. Plot points were dropped really quickly for the sole purpose of the episode moving on to the very next plot point, so it could move on to the next one... A little weird.

Mom's I'd Like to Forget

First new episode of 2010... additionally there's something that I want to add. Show's I'd Like to Forget, this one... And quite possibly Better With You, Chase, Shit My Dad Says, and The Event...

The episode starts off well with a Kickball tournament. Bart fantasizing about dodgeball is a nice touch but it goes on for way to long and it kinda feels like a time waster... Then they start throwing balls at each other, all three managed to get knocked out except for Bart who manages to throw balls back at the 5th graders with skill and he actually wins... Nelson throwing Gatorade on Ms. Edna is average, the explanation following it is also average. There is a twist though where the ball is flying in the air and it falls on Milhouse who I didn't think was funny in his scene. It then bounces back and just flies onto the hands of the 5th Graders in order to make them the winners...

This sets off a war which fills 5 or 6 minutes of the episodes time. The gags are either hit or missed. I liked the song but I disliked that the 5th Graders have reverted back into Shelbybians and I disliked that even the conflict got into the teachers lounge (with Skinner playing a piano, how random!) and even the teachers lounge transformed into an old time bar... They finally agree to a rematch and then it rains. I like the joke where they take the speech literally and they wait until it becomes Sunny... The Skinner and Chalmer gag is unfunny and route, we finally get to the scar. It's funny to see as the scar is almost as yellow as their skin... Still it's mysterious to see where he got it...

So Bart asks the bullies first, the bullies have no memory of doing it and they even check their book in a personally unfunny gag. I don't like the homer gag that precedes Marge telling Bart where he got that scar from... The flashback to the past is nice but I don't like the whole them being covered and them changing gag, it was a nice touch though... Then Homer sits down on the toilet and he does his taxes (complete with a filing cabinet!), a lame way to end the scene...

Now Marge is meeting with the Moms and Homer is meeting with the husbands, the entire time he was with the husbands it was unfunny. I did not feel for him at all nor did I care or find it funny. Additionally I didn't think Marge noticed at all, it was only when Ned appeared that the plotline seemed to get good, even Homer wanted to get away with them. I get that it's supposed to be a parody of the husbands but it just feels like a time waster and a cliched stereotype (husbands of moms are usually tied lol), plus I think Homer was trying to annoy them purposely. Now that that's out of the way...

Back to the episode. Bart is having fun with the kids and and at first it seems like they're enjoying themselves and they're all laughing, though the 5th grader seems to instantly become his friend, forgetting the past transgression that has happened before... Now Marge is going to do the whole thing again in a week and it seems like Bart is getting slightly annoyed by this. Moe and the webcam gag was overlong and it was not funny at all. Now to Marge and the girls at the restaurant, these girls are talking about their lives outside of the restaurant. I could really feel Marge in this scene but they just ruin it by having a brain gag, don't get me wrong... It's good but it's not special in anyway.

So Homer is reading a book of already solved crossword puzzles, which I thought was clever and short. Marge came in drunk, I got nothing else to say... and she proceeds to keep Homer awake while she talks about her personal life. The scene then cuts to the Four Seasons where they're enjoying themselves with the husbands... Then it's off to Bart. They're doing something very risky and Bart is being called a chicken because of it... After a while he slides down and he hits the bottles but he is still being called a chicken. This is enough to make him want to break up the moms, but how. Lisa knows, they have to go to the Comic Book Guy. Bart torturing CBG with the comic book felt alright but was dragged down by his behavior/acting, which I felt was cliche... Lisa being a girl in a comic book was not funny and it just felt alright. Also Homer reading already completed books is getting tiring already...

So the Comic Book Guy is telling his story about how Bart got the marks, the narration in this part is good, the Twilight gag was unique... Ralph getting dropped on his head is middle of the road but it's something that we've never seen Ralph do so that was nice. Seeing Comic Book Guy in the past is alright and a nice fan service though I don't know why Cletus didn't age. The whole thing was alright, and the animation was good, better then usual for the Simpsons. After seeing his past, he then forms up a plan to get rid of them, exploding a ball of fireworks... But Marge finds him very quickly. Marge is pissed, Milhouse is in this scene but I didn't care much for him. Bart tells her of his intentions and while Marge understands, Marge also wants a life to herself. I kinda liked this Marge for mostly a second. Bart then lights up the fireworks, Homer walks into the garage and the whole thing is just not funny... Marge is with the Moms again and in the last scene ment to tie everything up in a sloppy bow, one of the Moms criticizes her son out of the blue and the brain gag returns with a vengeance and Marge realizes why she left... She then heads back to the family and apologizes for the way she's been acting, Marge describes where friends should be met and they turn out to be lesbians... Very unfunny there Jean...

It has the makings of a classic episode but it manages to make it into just an alright episode with tons of bad spots. Most of the gags are hit or miss and for me they were mostly misses. There should of been less gags and more focus on Marge and Bart as a whole... I don't get what the title exactly means seeing as how I don't get what "Moms I'd Like to Forget" means, maybe they should of chose a better title more suited to the plot. Something like Marge's Toddle Moms or something... I don't know...

One thing I forgot to mention, the opening didn't show a Fox News helicopter this time, so kudos...

5.0/10
    Last edited by Zombies Rise from the Sea; 01-11-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Finally! An episode tailor made to entertain Me, and Me alone! Mine! Mine! Mine! - 5/5

guts-black stuff-50 slim jims Miss Diko's Avatar

Thanks for the detailed description, Zombies...it will have to tie me over until I can watch it on Hulu tomorrow (don't have cable ;_; ) However the overall reviews are proving that it's not a complete loss...

I just realized it abbreviates to MILF, *snicker* I can't believe I didn't catch that the first time, can't wait to R&R

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

This episode was, like many others, very boring. I could follow the plot well; it just didn’t interest as other plots might have. The mini-subplot of Homer and the Dads of the group, I found pretty unfunny until the end, where Homer is so bored he embraces Ned. I would suppose the most hilarious moment of the episode would be when Principal Skinner is surrounded by the fighting teachers, and he plays the piano nervously. I only chuckled at that, so it was really laugh out loud, but since this episode was boring and unfunny I don’t think that I would have much choice. I also chuckled at Homer doing the "Finished Crosswords" book and the "Sudoku Number Ideas".

I didn’t like the flashback with Comic Book Guy – only for the beginning, where you see Ralph, as a baby, being dropped on his head. I know this may ‘explain’ his difficulties, but I didn’t find it funny at all because I imagined a real baby falling on their head. I also didn’t like the excessive amount of blood in the fantasy of Bart near the beginning, where the shark attacks the fighter pilot and then kills a football team. While I don’t mind blood, it was used really excessively in where it really wasn’t needed and the newer animation makes the blood look more ‘bloodlike’ than fake.

Overall, this episode was just what I said at the beginning – boring, unfunny, and just really bland. I’d give a C+, just because I’m generous.

Wow! I honestly did enjoy this episode all the way. There wasn't many "laugh-out" moment but every joke made me smille. For me Homer and the dads where the best part, as well the entire 4'th grade vs. 5'th grade argument - sound like something out of my life...
    This maybe the best episode I saw this season...

Thread Information