View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Fight Before Christmas"?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: The Real Santa

14 11.67%
  • 4/5: The Mall Santa

38 31.67%
  • 3/5: Your Dad's Santa

35 29.17%
  • 2/5: Female Santa

17 14.17%
  • 1/5: Creepy, Ex-con Santa

16 13.33%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rate and Review: "The Fight Before Christmas" (MABF22)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Brakes 4 Committees Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by S. Bubbles View Post
    like i said in my original post, i get the parody. i just thought a different title might be better suited
    Ah... Silly me...

I'm not your friend-o Cartoonnetwork's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    You're right, the segment was too short, but the episode didn't create itself. And if they had tried to make the entire episode around a true 'muppets' parody, it could've been truly funny, but due to the minuscule time allotted the whole effort came off half-assed, IMO. Also, I'm pretty sure you are aware that just because something gets referenced, or alluded to, that doesn't make it clever. Pretending it does makes your show look pathetic.

You're right, again, but it was also not trying to be a parody, it was an attempt to be a direct, Simpsonized Muppets episode, but without any parody. Compare that to the Simpsons Spinoff showcase where O&W used the stock Simpsons characters, but the segments were more an attack on how bad stereotypical spinoffs of the 70's and 80's were. O&W didn't rename Homer and Marge "Joanie and Chachi" and try to recreate a Joanie Loves Chachi episode with Simpsons characters.

That's not saying much. My cat's coughed up funnier things compared to recent episodes.

It's pretty common knowledge that format bender episodes are very popular here. Granted there are some that are well done in this era of the show (Eternal Moonshine & Spinoff Showcase), but the well is going to run dry of "gee, how can we do this Simpsons episode TOTALLY off the wall!" format benders. Hell, I'm still expecting the announcement of a live-action simpsons episode (not counting the opening). About the only aspect of this episode that was neat was how well they got the Simpuppets to look, sans Marge.

Yep, that´s it. Very good description of how to defend and enjoy the current "zombie" Simpsons--Notice a decent one-liner and some shallow references, some stuff happens here, some stuff happens there, and then it´s over.
    I don't defend all the new episodes (Elementary School Musical was awful and most of this season has been mediocre) and I generally dislike the trilogy/cuadrilogy ones but I enjoyed this one, especially the puppet segment.

Direct parody, homage, Simpsonized version...I don't really care, cause I actually like The Muppets. When they did Twilight I thought they were not being satiric enough cause those movies are really bad. But here I think they did a good job.

Really why does The Shinning episode count as a parody of Stanley Kubrick's movie and this doesn't count as a parody of The Muppets to you? Both things are originally good, The Shining is a masterpiece. They just include references to the original things and add gags to them. They are generally not "attacking" the quality of that movie or The Muppet Show. So, following your logic, I could also say The Shinning wasn't a parody but just an attempt of doing a Simpsonized version of The Shining.

Yeah, you can always say The Shining segment had more gags and it was funnier and I'd totally agree with you but that, on itself, it's not proof that it qualifies better as a parody than the other segment. In both segments they're taking elements of the originals and making gags or references about them but they don't necessarily do it to attack the original stuff.

And what's this thing of including Spinoff Showcase as a example of this era of the show?
    My Simpsons homage!

http://elblogderg.blogspot.com

vomit inducing condescension hammster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh fucking hell Jake. You really know how to wind me up with a post. I was gunna just leave this for Cartoon Network to argue but seriously dude. You're an intelligent guy but sometimes you talk some bullshit.

We get that the new episodes suck. Pretty much everyone agrees on that. It'd be a bit D'ohmeresque to continue to labour that point in every post but we all get it. It doesn't, however, mean that all the new episodes suck. I personally want the show to do well or to get cancelled. The attitude of some people on here doesn't appear to be that (admittedly only some). Maybe I'm looking too much into it but I think it's about time some people actually gave this show and it's new episodes some credit occasionally. This is a good example of this. The Muppet Show Parody was great. It got the tone right, it was faithful to the show and it was pretty damn funny. What more did you want? Seriously? This is one of the few times that a guest star playing themselves actually worked. When parodying something famous for it's guest stars ofcourse you're gunna get a goddamn guest star. It's logical.

It wasn't trying to do the same thing as Spin Off Showcase really. That was more of a general parody. This was a specific one. It was a parody of a certain show and I thought it was a successful one. It poked gentle fun at the corniness and, for such a short segment, had so many great gags. Also you've got to remember that spin-off showcase was done in the shows heyday so was bound to be much better but it doesn't mean this was bad. Honestly, this was a great parody of the Muppets show and, for something that was squeazed into such a short segment, a pretty accurate one. I think the only reason anyone could consider this bad was if they overanalysed it or didn't get it. I'm guessing the former for you. You could overanalyse any episode of this show and claim it was bad. If you stare hard enough at anything then you'll find something wrong with it.

So yeah, this isn't up to classic era quality but that doesn't mean it was bad. Barely anything is as good as classic era the simpsons. This was just a quality muppet show parody and is one of my favourite moments of the last 10 years of the Simpsons. I'm sure that you will find something wrong with this post, you always do Jake, but I really have not heard a particularly good criticism of this segment. But if you come up with one then cool and I'll accept it but I will respectfully disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpsons_Sweden View Post
    You are so right hammster .

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hammster View Post
    So yeah, this isn't up to classic era quality but that doesn't mean it was bad. Barely anything is as good as classic era the simpsons. This was just a quality muppet show parody and is one of my favourite moments of the last 10 years of the Simpsons. I'm sure that you will find something wrong with this post, you always do Jake, but I really have not heard a particularly good criticism of this segment. But if you come up with one then cool and I'll accept it but I will respectfully disagree.
    For you, there is NO cool 'critique' of this episode. I think it's more about people who take the show more seriously than yourself. "Overanalyzing" is something I did back around Seasons 10-12, the show now isn't worth typing more than a few lines of basic critique, no matter how many crass gimmicks it tries to pass off.

The only problem with the Muppet segment is that it was put in the rigid four act structure so it ended to quickly and couldn't really go anywhere as its slot was short. Also the joke they chose to end with was rather pointless and I don't get how making a stupid sex joke is The Simpsons "finally growing some balls". But as a whole the Muppets segment was one of the more enjoyable outings in recent memory (obviously it can't hold to even The Simpsons Spinoff Showcase which is at best a "B" range episode).

The Unluckiest Mole-like Man Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Fight Before Christmas: C+, 3/5, 6.5/10, Adequate

Opening: C+, 3/5, 6.5/10, Adequate - The opening was sort of pointless although I did like the music they used, Although the kids did seem OOC (Bart trying kill Santa, come on he's only 10 years old) There were no funny jokes what so ever, so it just didn't feel necessary.

Bart's Dream: C+, 3/5, 6.5/10, Adequate - The first story is probably my least favorite of the four, just because it was about five minutes long but for some reason it just seemed to drag on and on. The "Polar Express" parody was fine, although the animation was great when the train was "On drugs" it just seemed like it was used to waste time. Krusty as Santa was pretty cool, but that was the only thing (Along with a few scattered jokes) that kept this episode mildly entertaining.

Lisa's Dream: B-, 3.5/5, 7/10, Good - This story had a good beginning and ending but the middle with Lisa and the Christmas trees was a bit boring. I liked the twist with Marge being the family member at War, and I liked the ending with her blowing up the cinema. Lisa's story was a little thin and like many have said her eating meat just felt forced and it was like it was used just for the viewer to say "Ha ha Lisa's eating meat, that's hilarious" well not really. Overall nothing spectacular, but probably the best segment.

Marge's Dream: B-, 3.5/5, 7/10, Good - A very weak plot but managed to keep me interested because it was pretty funny (Well compared with the other stories) The only laugh out load moment for the entire episode was with Lisa and the water bottle star, but other than that the episode had a few jokes but ultimately a pretty dull segment.

Maggie's Dream: C+, 3/5, 6.5/10, Adequate - As "Four Great Woman and a Manicure" the last segment only lasted 3 or 4 minutes making it impossible to even start a story, so this one didn't have a plot. Katy Perry was an OK guest star and I liked some of the puppet jokes but once I got used to the characters being puppets the credits were rolling.

Conclusion: Overall this Christmas episode was very weak, The stories had great plots that could have been executed a whole lot better (Lets just hope the 2011 Christmas episode is better)

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    Desperation?
    Haha, you're still a dick? I thought green stars meant you were a mod. Haven't been here in months, some things never change.

Anyway, Simpsons. They re-ran this one tonight. I haven't watched much of this or last season, but I thought it was a pleasant surprise. Some unfortunate, pointless crap (Katy Perry, Lisa explaining her dream sequence, Lisa suddenly hating Christmas trees in order to give the writers easy material), but it was also hilarious in parts. God, Bart's dream had me rolling.

It was incoherent and only sporadically hilarious, so 3/5. But this was a breath of fresh air.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SilverEagle View Post
    Haha, you're still a dick? I thought green stars meant you were a mod. Haven't been here in months, some things never change.
    You're welcome, and you're right--season 22 still sucks.

As for the Muppets "Parody" (I can't put enough quotes around the word Parody so I won't even try), it'd be funnier if Betty White was the guest star. Why? The writers could've made fun of how Betty White's apperences have had an uptick in the past few years.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

One of the oddest episodes I've seen. I really hate it when they have those celeb cameos "Hey, it's Martha Stewart" "Hey, it's Katy Perry" but it's funny enough to recommend.

3/5

I think that this was an alright Christmas episode. Bart's dream which reminds one of 'The Polar Express' was good and had some slightly fun moments, Lisa's dream with the more dramatic wartime setting was interesting but nothing great, Marge's dream was nothing too impressive and I must say the final one with Maggie's muppet-styled dream was the highlight; it was fun to see they try out something different and it worked quite well IMO. Overall, it was an okay episode but didn't have any real 'laugh out loud' moments and sometimes it felt kind of dull.

3/5

I found that this episode was absolutely terrible! Not as bad as the worst Christmas episode ever (Kil Gil Volumes 1 and 2) but very close enough. What the hell is Katy Perry doing at the end of the episode (It's this sort of thing that ruins the Simpsons). If she wants to get revenge on Sesame Street let her get it else where than on the Simpsons. I really don't know how the Simpsons team ever ended up accepting her appearance live on the show as her real self. The episode might have been able to get a 2.5/5 from me if Katy Perry hadn't been in it but with her I can only give this episode a 1.5/5. I don't have anything against her songs (some of them are pretty decent) but please please keep her out of the Simpsons.

I can see and read things Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Agreed. The episode was already terrible. I was about to fall asleep, I was so bored. Then Katy Perry drags it into Family Guy depths.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted The Telltale Head 2: Bart Gets an F The War of the Simpsons 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Simpsoncalifragilisticexpialad'ohcious Lisa's Date with Density 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want

I was in the mood to watch something animated and Christmas-y and having watched most other things to death I decided to settle for this episode.

• Fluppets. Oh I get it, it's Muppets with "fl". Why?
    • I feel like someone thought up the "Fir is murder" pun and then had to shoehorn it into the episode. I don't remember Lisa ever being so obnoxious about this but then again, they've been flanderising her for a good few years.
    • There's only one fat guy around here that gets us presents and it ain't Santa. Oh wait, Bart believes in Santa again.
    • Where does he get the Santa in a guillotine from? Why does he have it? Argh.
    • The weed fantasy segment wasn't necessary but it was mercifully short.
    • Bart goes from assembly line worker to vice president? Are we missing some promotions in between?
    • Lisa emulates Bart's magic trick with the ham. Decent joke otherwise.
    • Foreign singing. It's not in English, therefore it's funny... Right?
    • Idolised celebrity inclusion. These are so boring. I don't like Martha Stewart, I don't find her Christmas abilities magical nor entertaining.
    • If she was using Maggie as a stencil, why isn't her hair already white?
    • Poor animation when Milhouse is talking when the bucket's on. The handle moves up and down with his mouth.
    • Pop-star slash fashonista, Katy Perry?! I'm not sure if this is a Muppets introduction parody but the normal Simpsons episodes introduces celebrities this way too. It's very awkward.
    • The muppets ending wasn't as strong as Marge's story would have been. Obviously a victim of the four-act format.

Liked:
    • Homer's gingerbread man surgery.
    • Santa falling off the roof.
    • Lisa loving meat.
    • Lisa's book and toy explaining the crazy Dumbo parody.
    • Marge's appreciation of her family.
    • Homer's failed breakfast in bed turning into "We're gonna go out for breakfast!"
    • I quite liked the Muppets parody. Abe and Jasper as Statler and Waldorf.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flanderoma View Post
    I found that this episode was absolutely terrible! Not as bad as the worst Christmas episode ever (Kil Gil Volumes 1 and 2) but very close enough. What the hell is Katy Perry doing at the end of the episode (It's this sort of thing that ruins the Simpsons). If she wants to get revenge on Sesame Street let her get it else where than on the Simpsons. I really don't know how the Simpsons team ever ended up accepting her appearance live on the show as her real self. The episode might have been able to get a 2.5/5 from me if Katy Perry hadn't been in it but with her I can only give this episode a 1.5/5. I don't have anything against her songs (some of them are pretty decent) but please please keep her out of the Simpsons.
    Some idiot thought there could actually be comedy with an episode centred around a peripheral character, apparently. They were SO, SO wrong! (I'm talkin' about Gil episode here).

Baby made a boom boom!

other than the muppets parody it sucked 2/5

Blog Entries

The muppets (don't know what word to use here because parody is far to strong) is one of the worst things the show has ever done.

Blog Entries

Bart's Dream- 9.0\10, A
    Lisa's Dream- 10\10, A+
    Marge's Dream- 5.0\10, C
    Maggie's Dream- 10\10, A+

Overall: 8.5\10, A-
    Really good episode! Muppets was really hilarious, and I love it: (I'm not a Nazi, that's simply funny)

My Simpsons Season Ranking:

8>7>4>5>6>3>15>10>1>21>2>11>20>13>12>17>14>16>18>22>>9>19

This episode was definitely a jump the shark moment when I first saw it. The fourth segment is simply the single worst thing The Simpsons has ever done. It's even worse than The Diving Bell and the Butter Ball. I am quite astonished that I hardly ever see it mentioned, and I hardly ever remember it since I haven't seen this episode probably since it first aired, but this is probably the thing that caused my interest in The Simpsons to basically evaporate until I regained it earlier this year. And I didn't even remember about the bully button thing at the end... My god, that has to be the worst joke they've ever done. I wouldn't say this is a kids show, but it generally isn't that inappropriate. Fortunately for this episode, that lasts for only a quarter of the episode, so there is some opportunity for redemption. While that stuff could possibly save this episode from the bottom 10, it unfortunately can't redeem what a colossal pile of shit the final segment is. The second segment is the best, even though it is okay at best. The first segment is quite dumb, and the third segment is awful as well. 1/10
    Season ranking:
    6 > 7 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 8 > 1 > 16 > 15 > 9 > 14 > 13 > 10 > 17 > 24 > 18 > 20 > 21 > 22 > 23 > 12 > 19 > 11

Blog Entries

Meh.

2/5

Boring. 2/5
    My quest to rewatch/review and grade all episodes of The Simpsons. (Season 1-24 completed so far)
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...gs-and-reviews

Season 25 ratings: Homerland: C- Treehouse Of Horror XXIV: C Four Regrettings And A Funeral: C- Yolo: D+ Labor Pains: D+ The Kid Is All Right: C- Yellow Subterfuge: D- White Christmas Blues: F Steal This Episode: B Married To The Blob: C Specs And The City: D Diggs: D+ The Man Who Grew Too Much: C The Winter Of His Content: D The War Of Art: B You Dont Have To Live Like A Referee: C- Luca$: F Days Of Future Future: F

Thread Information