Thread: Bart and Maggie

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Bart and Maggie

It has recently occurred to me that there is one relationship within the Simpson family that, well, doesn't exist, and that's the one between Bart and Maggie. With this sole exception, every family members relation to very other member has been explored, and has a specific dynamic. In the case of Maggie, for instance:

Maggie x Homer = Homer often forgets Maggie even exists

Maggie x Marge = they have a very close bond and are usually seen together

Maggie x Lisa = Lisa often tries to teach Maggie about the world (granted, this has probably only been seen like four times throughout the series run, but it still counts)

Maggie x Bart though... well yeah, nada. I'm not saying that i have any suggestions at all as to what one could possibly make of it, but i still think it's a little bit strange that after 21 years, the writers have apparently never bothered with even attempting to do anything with the pairing (which is especially strange since several other relationships in the family has been absolutely milked to death, such as Homer x Lisa, Lisa x Bart, ect).

Oh, and please don't come with that "they have a buddly-like relationship" (as stated on Bart's Wikipedia article), because i sorely suspect that notion comes solely from the episode where Milhouse moves away and Bart therefore starts spending time with Maggie. And not only did that dynamic only show up once, but it was obviously presented as being out of the ordinary ( in other words, a showcase of how Bart usually dont behave towards Maggie).

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maggie was seen beating up Bart as Homer laughed at them and Bart was trying to play Monopoly (?) with her way back in the day.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Blog Entries

Yeah, this is very odd. I do think it would benefit the series to have an episode that greatly explores their relationship. I think I remember coming up with an idea long ago where Bart and Maggie seemingly develop a bond together, but as it turns out, Bart is just using her for his pranks.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Blog Entries

There have been interactions between them, but nothing really noteworthy. They really have no known relationship, and that disappoints me. After 450+ episodes and 22 seasons, it's kind of a shock. But hey, maybe they can't fit it in with all the useless guest star of the week episodes.

Here is an idea for what could at least be a one-off joke; how about a scene where Bart and Maggie somehow end up being alone together and are visibly uncomfortable with the situation. You know, an "awkward silence" moment, lampshading the fact they the two of them rarely interact. Yeah yeah, Maggie never speaks anyway, but i'm sure the feeling of "awkward silence" could presented anyway through facial expressions and such. Like maybe they could quickly look at each other, smile nervously, and then quickly look away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    Here is an idea for what could at least be a one-off joke; how about a scene where Bart and Maggie somehow end up being alone together and are visibly uncomfortable with the situation. You know, an "awkward silence" moment, lampshading the fact they the two of them rarely interact. Yeah yeah, Maggie never speaks anyway, but i'm sure the feeling of "awkward silence" could presented anyway through facial expressions and such. Like maybe they could quickly look at each other, smile nervously, and then quickly look away.
    I could actually see that happening. I like it.

Keep in mind that it is also very telling that they don't interact. I find it pretty realistic that the oldest child and the youngest rarely interact and don't have much in common. With both of them being so young neither of them have matured to the point where they are able to bridge that gap in age and establish a relationship, that usually doesn't happen until adulthood when 8 or 9 years isn't as daunting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CalculatedChaos View Post
    Keep in mind that it is also very telling that they don't interact. I find it pretty realistic that the oldest child and the youngest rarely interact and don't have much in common. With both of them being so young neither of them have matured to the point where they are able to bridge that gap in age and establish a relationship, that usually doesn't happen until adulthood when 8 or 9 years isn't as daunting.
    I don't see that to be true. When I was five my fifteen year old sister and I would always react. She was probably my best friend. We were probably closer because of the large age gap, not more distant.

Blog Entries

I think it's more common for an older girl to bond with a younger guy than it is for an older guy to bond with a younger girl. I'm not being sexist, this is just somehing that I've observed.

Blog Entries

^Well, I could see how that might be true.

I noticed this, and did a fan episode about it:
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...e1-s-Fanseason!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    it sucked fucking shit bananas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iambobdole1 View Post
    I noticed this, and did a fan episode about it:
    http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...e1-s-Fanseason!
    That's a good idea. It could work.

I'm not so sure about the notion that older brothers doesn't spend that much time with significantly younger siblings, D'ohmer.

When i was 7, i had two one-year old siblings (twins, one dude and one dudette), and i spent a fair amount if time with them and definitely had specific ways of behaving towards them. For instance, i always used to try to get my brother to play with "cool" action figures rather than his baby toys, and i had somewhat of a slight "feud" with my sister (one that she wasn't even aware of, to be sure) since she would always climb into my bed and drool all over my sheets.

Oh yeah, and at around age 8, i became very good friends with a 3 year old neighbor girl, and we would actually come over to each others houses to play (things got a liiittle creepy though when she one day told me she was in love with me, but i did my best to just shrug it of and pretend i hadn't heard that... *ahem* but im drifting way of topic here...)

So anyway, i just think it would be nice if Bart and Maggie had at least some sort of "recurring theme" going on like that.

It was this lack of interaction that made me want to come up with a story about Bart and Maggie being stuck bored in a retirement home. Using the resources at their disposal, Maggie gets much amusement out of Bart's prankpulling skills on the poor inhabitants as the two begin to share a mutual interest in these devious activities. Here's the synopsis I came up with:

"Trips of the Tale - Homer surprises Lisa for her birthday with a trip to the newly opened Malibu Stacy museum, although it turns out to be not as exciting as they'd hope. Meanwhile, Bart and Maggie are stuck with Marge as she visits her mother's retirement home. Bored of their minds, together the pair explore the facilities and try to find fun in this sterile geriatric environment."
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

I swear there was a scene from a very old one - like season 2 or 3 - where Marge told Bart to play with/watch Maggie and he tried using her for something mischievous. Even if that's true, it definitely needs to be done a lot more.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

social justice spell fencer hamm's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Isn't this explored in one of the shorts? I dunno I vaguely remember some kinda of thing with Bart looking after Maggie and Lisa being jealous of their relationship or something. Might have been a comic now that I think about it.

Still could do with more exploration though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kangdos View Post
    I'm not so sure about the notion that older brothers doesn't spend that much time with significantly younger siblings, D'ohmer.

When i was 7, i had two one-year old siblings (twins, one dude and one dudette), and i spent a fair amount if time with them and definitely had specific ways of behaving towards them. For instance, i always used to try to get my brother to play with "cool" action figures rather than his baby toys, and i had somewhat of a slight "feud" with my sister (one that she wasn't even aware of, to be sure) since she would always climb into my bed and drool all over my sheets.

Oh yeah, and at around age 8, i became very good friends with a 3 year old neighbor girl, and we would actually come over to each others houses to play (things got a liiittle creepy though when she one day told me she was in love with me, but i did my best to just shrug it of and pretend i hadn't heard that... *ahem* but im drifting way of topic here...)

So anyway, i just think it would be nice if Bart and Maggie had at least some sort of "recurring theme" going on like that.
    Oh, I see, then I guess I shouldn't have made a rash judgement like that, lol. Like I said, I was just making an educated guess, so I very well could have been wrong.

Blog Entries

I noticed this a while ago. I would really like to see an episode in which the main plot is a Bart x Maggie plot. I think it could be a really nice episode.

Stonecutter

It's still rare enough to see Maggie anything beyond a few simple gags.
    "I shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy I found in the parking lot..."

I wonder about this myself long time ago. In early episodes (season 1 + the shorts) all three kids where seen as more of a team, but after that it's extra-rare to see a Bart/Maggie moment.

A episode that would explore their relation would be a fine idea! It would love to see Bart express his love for his other sister...

Blog Entries

I'll be really surprised if by the time the show ends there isn't at least one episode that's bart/maggie related

Talking about characters unknown relations I woner at one point those Abe Simpson hate Flanders the same way as Homer dose...

I don't care for G.O.B. Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd love to see an episode about

Abe - Marge
    Bart - Maggie
    Lisa - Jacqueline
    Homer - Patty and Selma

But that's probably never going to happen

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Comicshow MolemanBob View Post
    I'd love to see an episode about