17 8.72%
  • 3/5: One-Hit Wonder

53 27.18%
  • 2/5: Cover Band

67 34.36%
  • 1/5: South Park Already did it!

51 26.15%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Elementary School Musical" (MABF21)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Elementary School Musical" (MABF21)

When Krusty the Clown is announced as the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, Homer invites Bart to accompany him on a trip to Oslo for the ceremony. Sensing that Lisa would feel left out, Marge surprises her with a week-long retreat at performing arts camp, where she where she is greeted by her artsy counselors (guest voices Clement and McKenzie) and fellow musically inclined campers (guest voices Michele, Monteith and Riley), who inspire her to embrace her creative side. After she returns to Springfield, Lisa becomes restless with her ho-hum suburban lifestyle and sneaks off to Sprooklyn in hopes of connecting with her inner hipster, but she soon realizes that the city is not the same as camp in the “Elementary School Musical” season premiere.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: D'ohmer

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, it had some funny jokes, but all the songs brought it down. 3/5.

Magnetic Typo

Flight of the Conchords were terrific. Both in songs and line-reading. An odd choice to have as A and B plot, but they tied together thematically interesting, with the whole "artists" aspect. Personally, one of the best season premieres in awhile. 3.5 / 5, round up to a 4.

Curious to see how alone I am with this one.

Wow that was boring. It was just really really boring. The plot was so slow moving and so was the secondary plot. Flight of the Conchords was one of the few redeeming qualities of the episode. There wasn't anything that really makes this episode bad, but there's a lot that makes it boring. 2/5

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

Pretty mediocre... nothing really laugh out loud worthy, but great use of Brett and Jemaine. Thankfully the Glee cast was barely used. Some okay Krusty jokes, but why did all the Dutch people have French accents? Just laziness by the voice cast, sigh.

3/5, almost entirely on the strength of FOTC.

Blog Entries

i liked most of it but the songs were annoying for the most part. 3.5/5, the plots were handled better than i thought they would be and i thought for the most part it was pretty good. only downside that i remember were the songs, and even those weren't that bad

the experimental prototype community of tomorrow

a brief lionel hutz cameo manages to earn this one a generous 1/5

I didn't know that those guys were from flight of the concords. Highlight of the episode for me. Liked the Stephen Hawking part.

Heh I'm almost glad they had to plug glee since FOTC was such a nice suprise

Blog Entries

What was the sign gag? I didn't catch it.

Blog Entries

The Concords were very funny, as was the artistic cow, the YouTube videos about Krusty, and the 'Sprubway' business. Not one of Mark Kirkland's better episodes, though.

Irreverent Humor Throughout Blake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How good were FOTC? I turned the episode off right after the Glee cast came on.....
    Last edited by Blake; 09-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Gawd this was awful.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

Bret & Jemaine provided the best bits in the episode, but their songs weren't really that great. Seriously, if you have never seen Flight of the Conchords, stop what you're doing right now and go check it out.

A meh episode. I'm not sure what the point was of having the choir sing the Itchy & Scratchy theme. Oh wait, yes I do, it was filler. There was a lot of filler in this one, and they had two "list jokes". The subplot didn't really work that well, and it could have used some more build. Having Krusty randomly pick Homer to come with him because he needs someone to laugh at his jokes was pretty lazy writing. They could have cut out some of the filler to fix that.

The main plot was the best part of the episode, but I couldn't get past Lisa's singing voice. Yeardley used to be able to sing quite well as Lisa, and her performance tonight was sad. Still, the Conchords were great, especially with their banter. The conference with the artistic cow and Stephen Hawking was the highlight. 2.5/5

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    Pretty mediocre... nothing really laugh out loud worthy, but great use of Brett and Jemaine. Thankfully the Glee cast was barely used. Some okay Krusty jokes, but why did all the Dutch people have French accents? Just laziness by the voice cast, sigh.
    3/5, almost entirely on the strength of FOTC.
    Thankfully the World Court isn't run only by the Dutch.

The actors have gotten old. Give Bart more stuff, because it feels like Nancy, and along with Hank, are the only two actors who have any juice left in them.

Blog Entries

Thankfully, the Glee cast was barely used, whereas FotC were used fantastically (as was Stephen Hawking--he must really love the show! So I guess it's not just dumbasses who enjoy the modern era ), the Krusty plot wasn't great but had some funny jokes, and the Lisa plot was generally good (except for the "sp" puns, which don't bother me near as much as they likely will bother most people, but it was a bit overdone IMO). A weak 13/15, but much better than I was fearing

PS--Otto's voice sounded a little off, I wonder if that's because they use him so rarely now Harry has trouble with the voice?
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Well, it had some funny jokes, but all the songs brought it down. 3/5.
    I'm surprised it took this long for them to make an MC Hawking joke, who is a real rapper who sounds like the robotic Stephen Hawking. And the final song sounds almost like a parody of "Promiscuous Girl" by Nelly Furtado.

As for the episode, Homer and Bart's side of story was "F Grade" filler and it shouldn't have even been in the episode. Lisa's side didn't help, either. The whoopty-do Glee crap was over quickly, but I wished Lisa could've visited the kids in the city instead of the councilors and the Glee Kids were all crack addicts, or something

Also....STOP WITH THE PUNS, AL! THESE STUPID ATTEMPTED PUNS ARE NOT FUNNY!

Anyway, I'd give this a healthy 2/5.

Blog Entries

I did not enjoy that. That was terrible. The main plot couldn't have been more uninspired and more poorly executed. Even the subplot, which I thought I would enjoy, didn't do it for me. Both plots were just incredibly boring. I nearly fell asleep. The main plot suffered from some lazy, unconvincing writing and the subplot was just bland filler. The humor was pretty much non existant. There were maybe five decent gags throughout that whole thing. Some were just playing stupid. The characterization was also poor. Lisa acted like a spoiled brat at the beginning and she seriously might as well been 17 in this episode. She sure acted like it. Her singing was also terrible, but still better than Justin Bieber. The characters, especially the two camp counselors, were bland as can be. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it gave little reason to care for anyone in this episode, even Lisa. The ending, to me, also felt rushed and tacked on. Finally, the music was easily forgettable and when you think back to episodes like LETS and Homer's Barbershop Quartet, which had great music incorporated in them, this falls very flat.

Is there anything I liked? Well, the shot of Sprookland at the end of the third act was great.

1/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Doom View Post
    How good were FOTC? I turned it off right after the Glee cast came on.....
    That was their only real part in the episode (other than a line apiece in Act 2), so if you're just avoiding it because you hate Glee, go ahead and watch the rest. I won't tell you if it actually "got better", since it isn't likely we'd agree, but I can give you the objective part of the equation

Blog Entries

Could someone tell me the sign gag?

I don't understand, why would the Glee actors diminish the quality of this episode? If anything, the characters were under used.

Some kind of crazy person McClure's Avatar

This is nitpicking, but they made an error with the past Nobel Prize winners. Kent Brockman said Krusty would join such past Peace Prize winners as Martin Luther King Jr, Gandhi and Desmond Tutu.

Gandhi never won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Thundercougerfalconbird Dave Shutton's Avatar

really boring one, i honesty can barely remember a single joke
    Tapped Out Origin ID: jbartle25, feel free to add me

Come back, Zinc!! Sniper Squirrel's Avatar

pretty unimpressive, generously giving it 3/5 only because of fotc
    I'm just like Krusty!
    I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Junior Camper

I've religiously watched The Simpsons since 1989. I remember when they were on Thurdsays @ 7pm. Hell, I got in trouble in 5th grade because I had a Bart Simpsons "Eat My Shorts" Folder.

So, I feel this holds some weight when I say this episode made the stupid MyPods episode look genius.

Is there a poll option below 0? Because this was absolute shit.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

5.5/10

quite bland and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Could someone tell me the sign gag?
    It was: "Professor Frink's Sex/Kill Bots! (Make sure switch is in correct position)"

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'Houlihan View Post
    Also....STOP WITH THE PUNS, AL! THESE STUPID ATTEMPTED PUNS ARE NOT FUNNY!
    Jesus, yes!

I had forgotten all about Glee's guest appearance, probably because I didn't care. In any case, this was a very dull episode, and the performance arts camp story was done much better in "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation". The subplot was meaningless, to say the least.

Also, what was with the mock New York City? Did they forget there was a Capital City?

2.0/5

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Snaked

Blog Entries

THANK YOU, the Wiggs. That's pretty funny!

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chagopian View Post
    Thankfully the World Court isn't run only by the Dutch.
    You could write it off as being a French judge, but the dude who arrests them at the airport is also clearly a French accent

Thread Information