Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1127

Thread: Season 14 DVD & Blu-ray (release date: December 6, 2011)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

i still love the KTAAR commentary when everyone laughs their asses off at the train scene, when the conductor is getting them off the tracks

I finally finish this season on DVD last night
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    Here's a list of Easter eggs I found, they work the same way as in Seasons 8 through 13. You press up on your remote, or hover your mouse cursor (if you watch on a computer like I do :P) over Kang or Kodos' chair a KK symbol will appear. For the purposes of this list, Kang is on the left, Kodos is on the right.

Treehouse of Horror XIII
    -- Kang: Animatic for an alternate opening for Treehouse of Horror VII featuring a possessed Lisa. Why they didn't include this on the Season 8 set... who knows.
    -- Kodos: Animatic for the intro of the episode, plus Send in the Clones.
    How I Spent My Strummer Vacation
    -- Kodos: A Word from Elvis. Elvis Costello gives his retrospective on his experience recording at the studio.
    Bart vs. Lisa vs. The Third Grade
    -- Kodos: Deleted Scene
    Large Marge
    -- Kang: Deleted Scene
    The Dad Who Knew Too Little
    Barting Over
    -- Kang: Promos and a Magazine Article from TV Guide
    A Star is Born Again
    C. E. D'oh
    'Scuse me while I miss the Sky
    Three Gays of the Condo
    -- Kang: Deleted Scene, which was shown in the End Credits.
    Old Yeller Belly
    Break My Wife, Please
    The Bart of War
    These are also on the Blu-Ray, but they are accessed differently; on each listed episode's sub-menu, highlight "Play Episode with Deleted Scenes" (or, for the episodes without deleted scenes, highlight "Play Episode with Commentary"), then press left-arrow on the remote (a small red "XIV" should appear to the left of it), then press Enter/OK
    ...except that, for some reason, I can't find the animatic for the intro and "Send in the Clones" from THOH 13 (only the alternate THOH 7 opening appears to be there).

By the way, the two "promos" on "Barting Over" are an invitation to the 300th Episode party and a pass of some sort for the 14th Season Premiere party.

Same Avatar, Different Shit Zombies Rise from the Sea's Avatar

Just got the Season 14 DVD in the mail; I'm thinking about reviewing Season 14 based on this DVD, what you think?

Also thanks again NoHomers for giving me the opportunity to win the DVD.
    My Simpsons Season 25 Ratings/Reviews:
    Homerland (3.5/10) Treehouse of Horror XXIV (5.0/10) Four Regrettings and a Funeral (4.0/10) YOLO (4.5/10) Labor Pains (5.0/10) The Kid is All Right (3.0/10) Yellow Subterfuge (5.5/10) White Christmas Blues (1.5/10) Steal This Episode (7.0/10) Married to the Blob (5.5/10) Specs and the City (4.5/10)

lust 4 quagland HANDSOME.S4.COMPLETE.XviD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't get it yet, but someone got it for me for Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe
    The only thing you've managed to do is piss us off. You are a fucking prick, and it's people like you that are bringing this damn country down.

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Trampopoline View Post
    So how many of you were shocked when Al Jean revealed that Sam Simon pitched the basic concept (the Simpsons in a parody of the reality TV show The 1900 House) that became "Helter Shelter"? I know I was.
    It's not impossible if you take into account that some episode concepts can take years to be fleshed out.

For instance, Conan's pitched Lisa's Rival during season 4, and it ended up being a holdover episode in season 6. Dan Castellaneta pitched the Barney gets sober episode in the fourth season (produced in season 11). George Meyer had El Viaje mapped out during the fourth season as well (produced in season 7; aired in season 8).

Most likely, Sam pitched this one during season 4.

We're out of time.

I was surprised to find out about the way Mike Scully's episode came together. I didn't see this one coming.

I half expected this one to be Scully's passion product, directing rock stars. It turned out to be something different. He began developing the first act of the episode as the original story concept, which then transformed into something else entirely (which is a trademark of a lot of Scully episodes; I never understand why fans view that as a negative aspect, given viewers are always brought into a long journey each episode and cover a lot of interesting ground).

And it turned out to be one of Fox's last demands for additional episodes within a single season. Seasons 15 and 19 would be the last time that happened at all (19's 23rd show ended up not happening due to the 2007 strike).

Everything You Ever Dreamed Mr. Trampopoline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    It's not impossible if you take into account that some episode concepts can take years to be fleshed out.

Most likely, Sam pitched this one during season 4.
    I dunno, Jean mentioned that Simon just called him one day, mentioned the idea I said (though more along the line of "Hey, wanna do it?"), and that was that.

That, and The 1900 House first aired in 1999.
    "Sleeping Beast"

We're out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Trampopoline View Post
    I dunno, Jean mentioned that Simon just called him one day, mentioned the idea I said (though more along the line of "Hey, wanna do it?"), and that was that.

That, and The 1900 House first aired in 1999.
    Yeah. Scratch that previous post. Just listened to the Helter Shelter commentary. Plus, reality shows weren't that mainstream in 1992, even if they were PBS material.

We're out of time.

Listened to a few more commentary tracks. They really should try and make them as video commentaries in future season sets, the way they did on the Blu-Ray sets of the Futurama movies.

I laughed out loud when Yeardley called out Al for never letting Lisa win at life (referring to the Roosevelt-esque Lisa head on Kevin Curran's episode).

Looking back at season 14, I'm surprised how raunchy it actually was. I didn't remember it as boundary-pushing (Brockman's use of "penis" for one).

There's one thing I really enjoyed. Al made it a point to ask some animation directors which style they preferred: hand-painted or computer animated (having said that, I think the hand drawn lines colored by computer are looking gorgeous on Blu-Ray 1080p definition).

So far, Pete Michels seemed to prefer the older hand-painted style, while Michael Polcino went all the way defending computer animation. The color choices allow for much more creativity. I loved his story about the actual paint being borderline toxic, for a short film he made.

I don't know what's the stand for the other animation directors on the show, but I'm with Polcino on this one. Someone could make a voting thread about this issue, if they have the time (or money) to do so.

Blog Entries

I hate video commentaries.

NHC's fly on the wall treehouse of hutz I, II, & III's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Finally finished everything on this dvd. Some thoughts since I avoided this thread...

-For the people previously in this thread discussing the lack of reference to the 300th episode on the actual boxset, you guys do realize that Kang/Kodos is celebrating on the cover and they have party hats, cake, sparklers, etc. on the back, right? It's clearly foreshadowing to the reveal on disc 4 that the whole point of everyone showing up at Burns Manor is for a 300th episode party. Just because it's subtle and doesn't have the actual number, doesn't mean it's lacking in that respect.

-Also, here's an odd fun fact. I've mentioned this before, but with these character themed boxes, for some reason I enjoy trying to see how many episodes the character on the cover shows up throughout that specific season. However, with Kang/Kodos obviously that wouldn't be as fun, although they do show up more than I expected (THOH XIII, Special Edna, the hedge in Moes Baby Blues, and Rigel 7 is mentioned in Scuse Me While I Miss The Sky). So instead, since this is a halloween themed boxset, I chose to see how many episodes would feature a scene during the night (I dunno, halloween and night, just go with it). Anyway, as it so happens, it turns out that EVERY EPISODE this season has a scene during the night-time. Even when you think it's not going to happen, the sun at one point disappears. I wonder how many other seasons are like this. It could be a good drinking game, but most probably not.

- I respected Al for bringing some criticism to the commentaries at points like in Helter Shelter and Strong Arms of the Ma. Although, I forget who said it, but when they were talking about fans disliking jerkass homer, someone says "they seem to love criticizing jerkass homer, but never ever praise nice-ass homer". I know that was a joke, but I definitely disagreed.

- Why are the simpsons family so much cooler in season 14 than they are in later jean episodes? Bart was like still in that root to where admiring his character was still active. I don't feel that today at all. I like the commentary in Scuse Me While I Miss The Sky where they talk about it being about Bart and Lisa trying to regain their self-concept. I remember watching that episode when it first aired and finding the scene where Bart gets hit with the dirt clod to be quite shocking for his character, in a good way. If that happened to him today, it wouldn't have as much of an impact because there's not as much substance to his character.

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't get why they use deleted scenes as easter eggs as they are accessible in other ways also.

I thought the easter egg deleted scenes were exclusively easter eggs. Something which incredibly annoys me as a) it's not a worthy easter egg, we get deleted scenes anyway and b) it's infuriating that you can't watch them inserted back into the episode or in the complete deleted scenes on the final disc, only as easter eggs whilst the rest of the deleted scenes sit there incomplete. Something that really annoys me..

Blog Entries

Did anyone notice what they did in Moe Baby Blues, when Wiggum's scanning the crowd with his hand for the person who has to leave the flower garden? His hand goes left, and stops for a brief second and then whips right at Moe. If you catch it, the characters on the far left are Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure. I'm sure people noticed it too, but I thought it was neat for like a finale easter egg.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    Did anyone notice what they did in Moe Baby Blues, when Wiggum's scanning the crowd with his hand for the person who has to leave the flower garden? His hand goes left, and stops for a brief second and then whips right at Moe. If you catch it, the characters on the far left are Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure. I'm sure people noticed it too, but I thought it was neat for like a finale easter egg.
    I love that bit! I recalled an old topic here where that was brought up...

[searching...]

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...Moe-Baby-Blues
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

OH GOD THEY'RE SO OFF MODEL.

Blog Entries

That's a good thread. Like mentioned, it contains lunch lady doris which I think during the time wasn't replaced with any other voice (tress, right?). I also was going to say, that Hutz and McClure seem to be all dressed up. Classy.

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whenever I notice Hutz's lawfirm (like here in the background right) during the post-classic seasons, it kinda saddens me.
    Like finding an old letter from someone who passed away...

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I just listened to the commentary for "Three Gays of the Condo" and I liked that they brought up Hank Azaria's character in "The Birdcage" serving as the design for Julio.

Blog Entries

If you look closely at the artwork on the sleeves that the DVDs are in, look closely and there's a tombstone that clearly says: "nohomers"

Just thought I'd point that out in case it hadn't been mentioned yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

Ya someone mentioned that a little while back but it's still cool either way.

Notes - The Simpsons - The Fourteenth Season - DVD

>> In the first act of the commentary for "The Dad Who Knew Too Little", Matt Selman discusses winning the WGA award, drunken speech and all. An "XIV" logo appears in the bottom right corner of the screen; click it and the clip is played... pretty entertaining; he is extremely nervous.

>> In "Strong Arms Of The Ma", I seem to remember the Ken Burns scene, but not his credit at the end. I don't know if it was added in reruns (I rarely watch Sunday repeats), but this makes him a returning guest (as of last season's "The Ned'liest Catch").

>> No deleted material from "Moe Baby Blues" is a huge disappointment. The total number of cut scenes seems to decrease with every set.

>> I remember thinking this in 2002-2003, but I still laugh at how many episodes from this season feature events that are out of place in regard to when the episode aired: Mardi Gras in December, school year beginning in February, St. Valentine's Day in March, Christmas in April, and, of course, Halloween in November.

>> David Silverman is in a lot of commentaries for someone not even in the credits this season. I love his comments and drawing style, but this is just another example of too many participants on these tracks.

>> The DVDs can retire the deleted scenes commentary. We know the bits are not in the episode because of some combination of "This was cut for time." / "This didn't work." / "This threw off the pacing of the episode." . . . . . etc.

Is this worth purchasing? If so, should I buy it on DVD or Blu-ray?

Quote Originally Posted by FranklinGeorge View Post
    Is this worth purchasing? If so, should I buy it on DVD or Blu-ray?
    I'd say it's worth purchasing. The season itself is very good and the set is pretty cool. If you care about the nice artwork that comes with the DVD then go with that. That's my personal preference at least until the HD seasons. I've watched and compared the Blu and DVD (played on a Blu Ray player) and there isn't much difference. If picture quality isn't the deciding factor for you, I'd take the DVD for the lower price/more artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wiggs View Post
    I'd say it's worth purchasing. The season itself is very good and the set is pretty cool. If you care about the nice artwork that comes with the DVD then go with that. That's my personal preference at least until the HD seasons. I've watched and compared the Blu and DVD (played on a Blu Ray player) and there isn't much difference. If picture quality isn't the deciding factor for you, I'd take the DVD for the lower price/more artwork.
    Thanks. Should I pay full price for the DVD or wait until it goes on sale?

Well I think you're going to have to make that call. Obviously cheaper is better, but it depends on how soon you want it and how long you're willing to wait. I don't know how often the set goes on sale.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wiggs View Post
    Nice artwork? I scratch the CDs every time I try to get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    Nice artwork? I scratch the CDs every time I try to get it out.
    I had that concern too back when S11 came out so since then I've just been putting the DVDs into those paper disc sleeves which fit nicely within the accordion-style packaging. Not the most convenient, I know, but for someone like me who's afraid skipping discs it works just fine.

Blog Entries

I hear that. Tapes are comin' back.

Thread Information