Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 14 DVD & Blu-ray (release date: December 6, 2011)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Regardless the commentaries for this set which he has given us so far, on paper, have the potential to be the best since Season 8 which makes me wish this had a release date even more. I mean the primary reason to purchase any Simpsons season should be and is the episodes themselves but the commentaries are almost like parts of the episodes themselves to me...and their quality usually(and eerily)reflects the quality of the episode for which they were recorded.IMO of course

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I mean the primary reason to purchase any Simpsons season should be and is the episodes themselves but the commentaries are almost like parts of the episodes themselves to me...and their quality usually(and eerily)reflects the quality of the episode for which they were recorded.IMO of course
    So...when they record the commentaries in a few seasons they'll just stick a boom mic over the bathroom stall door as Al Jean tries to talk while taking a dump?

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation — if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Blog Entries

Ha Ha....I hope and assume they'll have the writers/directors/Matt/maybe the voice actors and occasional guests, etc that they've always had...and even if you hate those episodes as you do, and assuming you somehow manage to get the set for free since I assume you wouldn't buy it, I think you'll enjoy listening to it, even if you hate the episode itself.

It is notable that there is a large likeliness that this WON'T happen at the pace they're going though I mean when is Season 20 scheduled to release? 2017? 6 years from now? A lot can happen in 6 years...of course I assume many would be thrilled if the later seasons didn't have commentaries...

at the other side of reality cinco's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, the S20 boxset without commentary already exists.

Blog Entries

Don't remind me....there needs to be a re-release of that, a proper release of it, and I have no doubt there will be.

The trouble with the commentaries is, like mentioned in another thread, they sometimes (not always) repeat the same old dribble we have heard 1000 time before, same old trivia and whatnot. The Season 10 DVD Commentaries made me fall asleep, and does anyone think it sometimes sounds like some of them don't even want to be there.
    Mike Reiss "queer duck, QUeer DUCK, BUY QUEER DUCK"

Blog Entries

IMO, Mike Reiss is one of the best commentators and was hilarious there. The only ones who are really terrible to listen to are some from Scully. Things are repeated but it isn't so bad that it ruins them.

Sad

IMO, Mike Reiss is one of the best commentators and was hilarious there. The only ones who are really terrible to listen to are some from Scully. Things are repeated but it isn't so bad that it ruins them.
    Yeah, its just a little gripe i have. But no, it does'nt spoil the whole thing.

I even own Queer Duck,

Blog Entries

Sorry if I came off kinda harsh man I didn't mean to

It's cool, I still don't know what Queer Duck even is

No Hard Feelings, Its cool

Look it up, you might like it. It's not everyone's thing, but it's still got some great funny moments. I only own the Movie, I'm not sure if the series is out on DVD, but I've seen it. I think theres at least 2 series.

Blog Entries

I kinda hope they do re-release s20, but I'm not as sure of them doing that as I was say, a year ago. Someone pointed out that when the movie was released on DVD/Blu Ray, people thought they'd re-release it at a later time, because Groening kept talking about a lot of deleted scenes, and on the DVD, a lot of the scenes that he mentioned, were not there. So people speculated maybe they'd re-release it, maybe a Director's Cut or something, and it's not 2011 and there's nothing. Who knows if they'll treat a season differently. Obviously the only reason s20 was released was because of the 20th anniversary of the show. I remember in the thread, people speculating on how interesting it would be because of commentaries and special features and all that, and then, as it got closer to the date, there was nothing on it; no bonus features, the art sucked (well, kinda sucked), the DVD menus were pretty terrible, etc. Pretty much a complete waste of money, I think. Especially if they DO re-release it, I wonder how many people would actually buy it (considering not a lot of people bought this copy, I wonder if people would re-buy it if it were re released).

Oh, and I buy the seasons for both, bonus features and episodes. I LOVE the deleted scenes. Many people think that they're deleted because they were bad and not funny, but a lot of the times, especially in the later seasons, i find myself laughing more at the deleted scenes then the episodes themselves (the reason a lot of them were deleted was time restraints). for me, bonus features are great fun. I can't imagine a Simpsons season with no bonus features, so imagine how disappointed I was in learning s20 came out without them. I don't own a lot of series on DVD, and a lot of what I do own has little to no bonus features. Simpsons DVDs easily have the best bonus features I know of, even the post-classics. The intros from Matt are short and fun. Commentaries (ones I've listened to, obviously) are usually informative and funny. Deleted scenes are great. Easter egg deleted scenes are fun to get.

I didn't buy season 20 because I'm holding out for a legitimate release. I'm sure they'll re-release it. I can't really see them going from S19 to S21 and just completely skipping S20. And hopefully that once the show ends, if not sooner, they'll be able to get back to 2 season releases a year because nobody really wants to wait around forever just to get every season.

Also, I thought I'd compile all of the "known" commentaries into one easy-to-view post. According to RJS...

“How I Spent My Strummer Vacation” – Matt Groening, Mike Scully, Al Jean, Matt Selman, Ian Maxtone-Graham, Carolyn Omine, and Mike B. Anderson

“A Star is Born Again” – Matt Groening, James L. Brooks, Al Jean, Matt Selman, Brian Kelley, Michael Marcantel, Marisa Tomei, Mike Reiss, David Silverman

“Moe Baby Blues” - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Matt Selman, J. Stewart Burns, Lauren MacMullan, David Silverman, Hank Azaria, Joe Mantegna

“Bart vs. Lisa vs. The Third Grade” - Al Jean, Matt Selman, Tim Long, Steven Dean Moore, David Silverman, Mike Reiss, Yeardley Smith

“Three Gays of the Condo” - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Matt Selman, Matt Warburton, Mark Kirkland, David Silverman, Mike Reiss, Dan Castellaneta, "Weird Al" Yankovic

“Strong Arms of the Ma” - Matt Groening, Al Jean, Matt Selman, Carolyn Omine, Pete Michels, David Silverman, Dan Castellaneta

I'll add any new info as it comes

Thanks RJS and The Wiggs! I'm looking forward to the commentaries for Moe Baby Blues and Three Gays of the Condo. I really appreciate these episodes a lot. I'm Happy that Joe Mantegna is going to be in the Moe Baby Blues commentary. I'll be very interested to also watch what they have to say about the episode Dude, Where's my Ranch?.

I don't care for G.O.B. Comicshow MolemanBob's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes it will

Ya I wanna hear what they have to say about Moe's song. Definately the most memorable part of that episode for me.

Blog Entries

Ha Ha....I hope and assume they'll have the writers/directors/Matt/maybe the voice actors and occasional guests, etc that they've always had...and even if you hate those episodes as you do, and assuming you somehow manage to get the set for free since I assume you wouldn't buy it, I think you'll enjoy listening to it, even if you hate the episode itself.
    What would be funny, and almost repetitive as the actual commentaries, is if you took the "Hi, I'm Jay Sherman!" from A Star is Burns, "It stinks! It stinks! It stinks!" from Hurrican Neddy and made that the commentary for most of the newer episodes.

It is notable that there is a large likeliness that this WON'T happen at the pace they're going though I mean when is Season 20 scheduled to release? 2017? 6 years from now? A lot can happen in 6 years...of course I assume many would be thrilled if the later seasons didn't have commentaries...
    With advertising revenue becoming harder to come by, you might as well forget the show ever releasing two seasons a year.

I remember in the thread, people speculating on how interesting it would be because of commentaries and special features and all that, and then, as it got closer to the date, there was nothing on it; no bonus features, the art sucked (well, kinda sucked), the DVD menus were pretty terrible, etc. Pretty much a complete waste of money, I think. Especially if they DO re-release it, I wonder how many people would actually buy it (considering not a lot of people bought this copy, I wonder if people would re-buy it if it were re released).
    In five years, no one's going to care and the people who already purchased are just going to go all lemming and buy it all over again.

"Dude, Where's My Ranch?"
    with Al Jean, Matt Selman, Ian Maxtone-Graham, David Silverman, Dan Castellaneta, Yeardley Smith

Blog Entries

Jake your scathing criticism is as refreshing as its always been.

Thanks RJS, I wonder if they'll talk about the Usher thing in Dude Where's My Ranch?

"The Great Louse Detective"
    with Al Jean, Matt Selman, Ian Maxtone-Graham, John Frink, Don Payne, David Mirkin, Steven Dean Moore, David Silverman, Dan Castellaneta

Blog Entries

David Mirkin? I don't think he's been on a commentary since season 9. Season 14's commentaries will include all show runners aside from O & W.....

Correction: He was on two commentaries on the season 12 DVD.

Blog Entries

Really? I genuinely don't remember much from those commentaries....probably for good reason...

I only remember the ones from season 12 that featured Phil Rosenthal. Mike Scully is okay but he can get annoying after awhile

Blog Entries

The Everybody Loves Raymond guy? If I recall correctly he was on Hungry, Hungry Homer's commentary, which was dissapointing considering it was one of my favorite episodes from that season.

and tennis the menace

Blog Entries

Jake your scathing criticism is as refreshing as its always been.
    Yeah, anything to make these autopsies, er, commentaries more exciting.

"Old Yeller Belly"
    with Matt Groening, James L. Brooks, Al Jean, Matt Selman, Ian Maxtone-Graham, John Frink, Don Payne, Bob Anderson, Mike Reiss, Dan Castellaneta

Blog Entries

10 people in 1 commentary!? Was likely recorded the same time as A Star is Born-Again.

"Special Edna"
    with Al Jean, Matt Selman, Tom Gammill, Max Pross, Joel H. Cohen, Dana Gould, Bob Anderson, David Silverman, Marcia Wallace (cameo only)

Thread Information