Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 14 DVD & Blu-ray (release date: December 6, 2011)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Yeah I was listening to the commentaries for episodes "A Star is Burns" and "Lisa's Wedding" today and I really hope David Mirkin is on more commentaries because he's funny.

Edit: Those were Jim Brooks' final commentaries for the show.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RJS160 View Post
    I have always liked the Simpsons and I always will..
    'Sigh'

I wonder if Jon Lovitz will ever appear in any other commentaries.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Season 15 and 18 were his, as of now, final appearances on the show. I wouldn't be surprised if he participated again, hopefully with more Al and Mike gay jokes...

Do you think he'll ever return to the show as Artie Ziff or as a new character?

Blog Entries

No way of knowing really, but I'd say it appears unlikely based solely on the assumption that the show won't be on much longer past Season 23(if at all)

I think the show will be canceled with the episode Treehouse of Horror XXX but I would be happy if it was canceled after season 25.

Mama took those batteries Bankrupt Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey, I'm the same way. I will always stay loyal to this show. Even at its lowest point, The Simpsons is still better than anything else on television. Sure I'm aware it isn't what it once was, but I'm free to like what I want to like.
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted There's No Disgrace Like Home 2: Bart Gets an F Dead Putting Society 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Blog Entries

just curious, but do you watch any other television? I'm of course not gonna rip on you for your 'better than anything else on TV' opinion, i just wanna know if you honestly even watch much else on tv

Blog Entries

Really... no, I don't. I enjoy reading books far more than watching TV. The Simpsons really is just about the only thing I watch.

This is 100% truth: When I was younger, my mom would punish me by saying "no reading today." I swear, it's true.

Blog Entries

if you don't watch a lot of tv, it's not really fair to say 'even when the simpsons are bad, they're still the best thing around'.

i watch various things, including a lot of other comedies- Dexter, South Park, Futurama, American Dad, Phineas and Ferb, Modern Family, and i'd place them all (ok maybe not P@F, but it'd be close) above current Simpsons. i watch other shows so i know what i mean when i say the simpsons is better, or worse, than them. but if one does not watch a lot of tv, and just says that the simpsons is above all else because it's their favorite show (which in this case it clearly is), it's bias talking

Blog Entries

Yeah, you're probably right. But I don't want to watch anything else. I'm perfectly content only watching The Simpsons.

I have seen a couple episodes of Family Guy, and The Simpsons is loads better than that garbage.

Saying that sales of these DVD sets directly affects the longevity of the series is stupid. The reasoning that says, "as long as people are still buying stuff and supporting the show, it will continue" could apply to many situations. The fact that these forums exist and that we're all using them shows that there is still an interest in the show. Using your specious reasoning, If not buying Seasons of the show on DVD/BR will make the current show end soon, then shutting down these forums will make it end even sooner. Let's get real here. If you don't want the sets, don't buy them. I want to buy them and I will thoroughly enjoy each and every set. Let's put this matter to rest.

Uhhh how would a forum which FOX doesn't benefit from in any form keep the show going?

Blog Entries

I think that everyone needs to respect that everyone has a differing opinion of the show. Which is really just a result of differing tastes, humour etc. And essentially, you are both right in opinion. One thing that we can all agree on is yes, the Classic Era, was just that, classic. We all are aware that these seasons were the pinnacle of the show, and the quality, overall, has depreciated as the years have gone on. However, that is not to say that every single episode of late is absolutely terrible and cannot possibly be laughed at by any person ever. Some of the best episodes of late may well just be on par with some of the poorer episodes of the Classic Era. Regardless of being classic or not, there are some episodes from the era that aren't that great.

That is not to say that new episodes are anywhere near the quality of, say, LETS, or Monorail, or Mother Simpson, or Bart of Darkness or Bart Sells His Soul. However, some of the better episodes from later seasons might be on par with some of the worse episodes of the Classic seasons.

Blog Entries

the dvd sales don't directly apply to how long the series lasts, but things like it do help. fox isn't going to keep around a long time a show that doesn't sell well. it's be pointless because if not many are buying it, why keep it on. it's not directly responsible for the show still being on, but i'd say it still is a factor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Wiggs View Post
    Saying that sales of these DVD sets directly affects the longevity of the series is stupid. The reasoning that says, "as long as people are still buying stuff and supporting the show, it will continue" could apply to many situations. The fact that these forums exist and that we're all using them shows that there is still an interest in the show. Using your specious reasoning, If not buying Seasons of the show on DVD/BR will make the current show end soon, then shutting down these forums will make it end even sooner. Let's get real here. If you don't want the sets, don't buy them. I want to buy them and I will thoroughly enjoy each and every set. Let's put this matter to rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Percy Wellington View Post
    the dvd sales don't directly apply to how long the series lasts, but things like it do help. fox isn't going to keep around a long time a show that doesn't sell well. it's be pointless because if not many are buying it, why keep it on. it's not directly responsible for the show still being on, but i'd say it still is a factor
    Oh. My. Fucking. God.

The Simpsons makes 5X the money worldwide selling all the related Simpsons merchandise compared to what it takes in in advertising revenue and that is the biggest reason the show is kept around. If the Simpsons relied strictly on a advertising revenue alone, the voice actors probably would make as much as they do and/or the costs of producing the show would've caused it to end by now. Combined with the fact the Simpsons has such a profitable image, Fox knows people will more likely buy the DVD sets as opposed to downloading them.

And if you think this forum is as "important" as DVD sales, go start a Seinfeld forum and recruit 7,400 part time members and watch as NBC decides to renew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren.Erg View Post
    Uhhh how would a forum which FOX doesn't benefit from in any form keep the show going?
    I always thought if I wished hard enough, the show would last FOREVER and EVER!

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

"One of the keys to life is having a sense of proportion, knowing how long to sit at a restaurant after you've eaten, or how long you should go on vacation if you go to Hawaii for a month on vacation, I guarantee you that by the end you'll hate it. So it's the same with a TV show, you want to do a certain amount of it, so that when people look back on it and they love it. I could have easily done the show for one or two or three more years, but it would have changed the way people look back at it. I think I made the right decision. Because people like the show now even more than they did in the 1990s, because it didn't get worn out." -- Jerry Seinfeld

Let's all take it down a notch here

June 13 and we don't have the release date of season 14

Blog Entries

i don't get why my post was quoted; i knew like all of that. obviously fox isn't going to have new episodes if things don't sell- comic books, video games, DVDs... the list goes on, as there are so many things with the Simpsons name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandreLeblanc View Post
    June 13 and we don't have the release date of season 14
    Ya it's a little surprising that they haven't given a full list of details about this set yet but I'm sure it'll be out in August here in the U.S. and it's already confirmed for September in the UK. We got nothin to worry bout.

Blog Entries

I was looking through the list of episodes in this set again and quite a few have moments I really like but forgot about because I haven't actually watched the episodes in a long time. Needless to say that got me more excited for the release!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post

If the Simpsons relied strictly on a advertising revenue alone, the voice actors probably would make as much as they do and/or the costs of producing the show would've caused it to end by now.
    These salaries and costs are no doubt largely driven in large part by the amount of money the show makes, though, including from sales of DVD releases and other merchandise. A show that brings in more cash can also demand a higher budget from FOX.

Again, I personally want the show to end, too, but it's rather pointless and hypocritical to criticize others for keeping the show going by buying these DVDs when you've bought ANY of the previous releases and done the exact same. It's also rather pointless and ridiculous to criticize people for wanting a show that they still enjoy to continue. It's not an insult to your fandom and your (and my) precious "classic era" for other people to have different views about the current state of the series.
    Two eyes, two ears, a chin, a mouth, ten fingers, two nipples, a butt, two kneecaps, a penis. I've just described to you the Loch Ness Monster. And the reward for its capture? All the riches in Scotland. So I have one question: why are you here?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wiggs View Post
    terrible post. that might possibly be the worst reasoning i've seen in quite some time...

money is what keeps the simpsons in production. if dvd sales are a major source of profit then these sales will directly affect the longevity of the show. if the dvd/merchandise sales are as high as jake contends (and i believe it) then it would be reasonable for fox to keep the simpsons in production and on air solely for the purpose of merchandise sales etc.

having said as much there are other factors which are probably more important. if the ratings were truly abysmal that would suggest that those seasons would also have shitty dvd sales, thereby ending the reason for the simpsons still being on the air. it's insane to think that these profit sources don't affect whether the show remains on air or not. absolutely insane.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman View Post
    Again, I personally want the show to end, too, but it's rather pointless and hypocritical to criticize others for keeping the show going by buying these DVDs when you've bought ANY of the previous releases and done the exact same.
    If I was still buying the show's DVD sets new, then you would be correct, but after Season 8, I don't feel like rewarding Fox with any more of my money.

And there's nothing wrong with getting Season 9, and up used, for 50-75% off at garage sale / pawn shop prices because I'd rather give my money to those people than to Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Jake View Post
    If I was still buying the show's DVD sets new, then you would be correct, but after Season 8, I don't feel like rewarding Fox with any more of my money.

And there's nothing wrong with getting Season 9, and up used, for 50-75% off at garage sale / pawn shop prices because I'd rather give my money to those people than to Fox.
    A couple points:

First off, no, I AM right. You bought seasons 1-8. I'm sure you look at it as "well, I just bought the CLASSIC seasons," but I guarantee you FOX doesn't look at it that way. Season 8 came out deep into 2006...you can bet that when it came time to negotiate pay raises for the writers and to renew the show for seasons 19/20 that its sales figures were a factor (and season 1 would have been the same around seasons 14/15). FOX bean counters aren't going to scour forums and figure out when everyone's "cut off" point is to determine whether some people are only buying the sets up to X season; rather, they're going to look at the numbers for the DVDs and say "well, based on these figures, there appears to still be interest in The Simpsons brand, so we should keep it going." (And no, I'm not saying that there's anything special about The Simpsons being a "brand," or that the producers/writers have made it more of one; this statement would be of ANY television show.) And you can bet that FOX isn't going to distinguish between WHICH seasons you think you're supporting when it counts all the cash in its bottomless Simpsons money pit.

It's pointless and hypocritical to criticize people for keeping the show going by buying these sets - that is, if you've bought ANY of the DVD sets, no matter which ones or how many - for helping to keep the show going (same applies if you've bought any other merchandise, continued watching it, etc). Not because it isn't true, but because it's a classic case of "pot, meet kettle." And it's just sort of mean-spirited to criticize people who enjoy these later seasons for continuing to buy and enjoy them, just because YOU PERSONALLY don't like it anymore.

Also, RE: buying used copies, this pulls those copies from the larger pool, therefore encouraging those who can't find them that way to buy them new. It still contributes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DotheBartman View Post
    A couple points:

First off, no, I AM right. You bought seasons 1-8. I'm sure you look at it as "well, I just bought the CLASSIC seasons," but I guarantee you FOX doesn't look at it that way. Season 8 came out deep into 2006...you can bet that when it came time to negotiate pay raises for the writers and to renew the show for seasons 19/20 that its sales figures were a factor (and season 1 would have been the same around seasons 14/15). FOX bean counters aren't going to scour forums and figure out when everyone's "cut off" point is to determine whether some people are only buying the sets up to X season; rather, they're going to look at the numbers for the DVDs and say "well, based on these figures, there appears to still be interest in The Simpsons brand, so we should keep it going." (And no, I'm not saying that there's anything special about The Simpsons being a "brand," or that the producers/writers have made it more of one; this statement would be of ANY television show.) And you can bet that FOX isn't going to distinguish between WHICH seasons you think you're supporting when it counts all the cash in its bottomless Simpsons money pit.
    Fox might not "scour these forums searching for cutoff points", but if there's a drop in sales after Season X, Fox would take note. The only way to verify this is to have access to the sales figures of the DVDs sets. If, indeed, the numbers show there's a gradual decrease in sales after Season 9, or 10, then you can say the "higher the number" seasons tend to be not as popular. But then someone could say as the show could be 'downloaded more' in 2011 compared to 2001 when Season 1 was released, so...

It's pointless and hypocritical to criticize people for keeping the show going by buying these sets - that is, if you've bought ANY of the DVD sets, no matter which ones or how many - for helping to keep the show going (same applies if you've bought any other merchandise, continued watching it, etc). Not because it isn't true, but because it's a classic case of "pot, meet kettle." And it's just sort of mean-spirited to criticize people who enjoy these later seasons for continuing to buy and enjoy them, just because YOU PERSONALLY don't like it anymore.
    Unless I have a Neilson's ratings box, my viewership doesn't mean anything. (And the last two Simpsons items I purchased new were Season 8 and the big "How to draw" book in 2008. I'm done with buying this stuff.).

Also, RE: buying used copies, this pulls those copies from the larger pool, therefore encouraging those who can't find them that way to buy them new. It still contributes.
    The people who want this stuff will continue to buy this stuff new, regardless of how I (we) feel. All that matters to me is Fox not getting anymore of my money, but it's the mentality of: "I'm going to keep buying this stuff no matter how shitty the show gets!" that makes me shake my head.

Sales for season sets of TV shows tend to drop as a matter of course; I would bet that seasons 1-3 or so have sold better than any of the others, just because they came out earlier and people tend to "start at the beginning" and then collect gradually or stop for whatever reason. In other words, there was probably a drop from season 9 to 10, but there was also probably a drop from season 5 to 6. It's universal and means little. Also, it's not like FOX would look at it as "OH! People don't like the show as much after X season!" Rather, again, they would say "hmm, interest in The Simpsons brand has dropped by this much." If there was a mass exodus of fans stopping buying the sets after season 8 because of quality concerns, FOX would likely never quantify that as the reason. And if season 4 sells a bunch of copies on release or even afterward, they're not going to look at it and say "well, that's an OLDER season, so...." They're just going to think it reflects interest in the franchise as a whole.

I do think continuing to buy (or watch....or watch and review every week without fail....) something even as you think it gets unbearable is rather silly, but I don't think the people you spent several pages telling off for buying these sets are actually those people for the most part.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dtb
    i think you give fox too little credit. like Jake said, they will notice a drop in sales (and i doubt they're oblivious to the perceived quality drop after seaosn 9 or so).

edit: that's not to say i disagree with you. i think that'd be one line of thought, but it woudn't be the only one.

at the end of the day if everyone was like jake and stopped buying after season 8 then there'd be a massive sales decline and i doubt they'd chalk that up solely to brand awareness.
    Last edited by Ben Chan; 06-13-2011 at 11:08 PM.

So....for the bonus feature "The Best of Kang & Kodos", or whatever they decide to call it, we can pretty much just expect to see their appearances in THOH's 1-13? That's what I would guess. There aren't nearly as many great Kang and Kodos moments as there were for Krusty, CBG, or Ralph. Still, I always have enjoyed that featurette since they first introduced it with the season 11 set.

Thread Information