View Poll Results: What did you think of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela"?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

6 7.32%
  • 4/5

24 29.27%
  • 3/5

37 45.12%
  • 2/5

13 15.85%
  • 1/5

2 2.44%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review "In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Rate/Review "In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela"

It's officially back, part two!

On a mission to save Earth, Zapp and Leela crash-land on a strange world similar to the Garden of Eden.

Discuss!

Although I continued to revel in the delight of new Futurama episodes, I thought this was a much weaker affair than the premiere. The dialogue was quite frankly embarrassing in places - mainly the cringeworthy "I say" exchange. And the Leela/Zapp interaction had so much potential but didn't really deliver comedy-wise whatsoever. The whole V-Giny thing also had potential but it seemed kind of shoehorned into a story that was all over the place, structure-wise. Bender didn't really have much to say or do either, unfortunately. I can't think of any pluses but it certainly wasn't a dreadful episode so I'll give it a 3/5.

honestly, I was rather indifferent to this episode after I first watched it, but having had sat on it for two days, I've come around to it.

this episode was futurama wanting to be silly sci-fi, and it worked. yes, the structure was a little wonky, and there were some rather embarrassing moments (the snake), but the way I saw it, the entire thing was leading up to one giant punchline, then to an even better one. I rather liked the idea of a censoring death star, and felt that it could've deserved more time, along with the PE "repent" subplot. In fact, they could've expanded this by trying more to get the Earth involved on a larger scale, almost as if it could be its own episode.

The Zapp/Leela stuff, at first was weak aside from the B&W Adventures of Zapp bumpers, but paid off in the hilarious reveal of just how much of a slimeball Zapp is just to screw Leela again. the real question, however: is Leela really that weak where she can't lift a log that Zapp can?

I wasn't a fan of the ending upon first watching, but recollecting it was actually kind of clever. the plots intertwine in a much more smoother and cleaner fashion than "Rebirth".

so yeah, a definite improvement over the first episode.

4/5

chinese martian physicist HRH Sir Prince Charles's Avatar

Let me start by saying that, unlike Ryan O, I haven't come around to the ending at all. I thought the whole thing was rushed and Leela's seemed actually excited about having to screw Zapp... not to mention Fry not seeming to care at all seemed horribly out of character.

All that said, there were a lot of laughs in this one. I love Zapp, and the bumpers were incredibly hilarious. His explanation scene will probably go down as one of his most memorable in the series. I dug the V-GNY plot (it's a Star Trek reference, right?), even though the ending kind of ruined it. Like Ryan O said, the stuff with the crew repenting was funny and deserved way more attention.

And yeah, Leela being unable to escape from under that log was incredibly silly. Since when is she not as strong as Zapp? Maybe it was the dehydration, I don't know.

Anyway, 3.5/5. I'll round it up to 4 for the poll

4 of 5 "doctors" recommend bartyboy's Avatar

I thought this one was okay, though I really liked the "exploits of Zapp brannigan" or whatever they were called at the start of each act. There were also some pretty bad jokes, like Amy's orgy thing. Overall, it gets a 3.5/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    not to mention Fry not seeming to care at all seemed horribly out of character.
    I think he did, as he was screaming for it to be censored, and was denied.

This forum should be renamed "Assorama"

Quote Originally Posted by ryan o View Post
    I think he did, as he was screaming for it to be censored, and was denied.
    They all seemed disgusted, though.

if I recall, though, the episode ended with him shrieking. I think he cared more than the others.

I guess I'm now the show's obnoxious hardass who doesn't love anything, because jeez, this was really fucking dreadful too! I agree with Ryan on the story being more cohesive and stuff, but that should be a given considering the writing staff. The humor still has a long way to go before being top-tier Futurama. At least this one wasn't a complete chore to sit through, but still, I'd like to forget these episodes as soon as possible.
    blog - music - movies
    Peace of mind. A mellow life. Crunk music. Investing in spy equipment and communist memorabilia. Having dance contests with myself. Placing last in the local triathlon. All of these things, plus a firm belief in the Lord.

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

With some highlights as The Chamber of Understanding, the orgy joke, and Parcheesi, this episode wasn't that great. I really hated it a little; Leela is supposed to hate Zapp and then she falls in love with him and (sorry spoilers!) has sex with him to save earth.

I know that it was to save earth, but after Love's Labours Lost in Space, Leela and Zapp weren't supposed to have sex.

C+ + 3/5

well it's not like she just fell for him. she wasn't thinking straight due to dehydration and he had manipulated it to make himself seem heroic. Nothing at all out of character there.

Though yeah, the sex bothered me.

Their relationship bothered me....and it still does.

But to each his/her own.

Even though there's the dehydration Leela seems bizarrely out of character, in Rebirth too. Where she has a lot of those lines like "Huh, this is how I'm feeling right now." She just seems like less of the straight man than usual.

In Rebirth, Leela seemed perfectly in character. I love that episode; a great way to begin Futurama's revival on television.

In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela, however, is a "bad" episode, I use the "" because it's not terribly bad, but still bad. Leela seemed in character until Zapp acts like he was heroic and Leela falls for it.

Blog Entries

Another 5/5! While I prefer the premiere, I still greatly enjoyed this episode. This episode was more for gags, which I thought were great. I laughed so hard when Bender was having sex with that other robot and I enjoyed the "exploits of Zapp brannigan." I also was looking forward to this episode's plot and I thought it was handled good as well. I like the build-up to them being stranded and I liked the many twists at the end.
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Just be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Don't worry about the world ending today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

Leela seemed like an entirely different character in this episode. It was really weird... more cohesive and probably better jokes in this episode, but I didn't like it much, along with "Rebirth". The whole V-Giny thing was really strange... the joke in the name itself was surprisingly childish, I found, and it meshed awkwardly with the Leela/Zapp story and didn't really get much time. When it created a black box on Farnsworth, I felt like that device should have been more of the focus of the episode - censorship. But I guess we've seen other shows tackle that well already, so it wouldn't have been too fresh.

Also, in both episodes it seemed like they were trying to squeeze in the whole cast of characters too much, for no real reason.
    Signature.

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Better than the premiere, a bit better than average overall.

Like others have said, the censoring sphere was a really cool concept and it was a shame that it didn't get as much screentime. It seems like it would be a good concept as the central point of an episode, but not necessarily this one. It didn't seem to vibe all that well with the Zapp/Leela story. Yeah, the plots eventually came together at the end, but it was pretty forced and awkward.

(that's what she said?)

I saw the whole Earth ending coming, but I still thought the final twist with Zapp was pretty well-done. I was expecting the Earth reveal to be the only thing he was lying about... Didn't really consider the trail mix, the log, or the rations. I also liked their spin on the Fruit of Knowledge, turning it into a scientific explanation why an apple would sudden enlighten someone.

Futurama doing blue humor isn't always my thing, but I laughed at the orgy joke when Fry and Hermes suddenly changed their minds about the idea. Also liked the final Zoidberg Parchisi joke.

Probably about a 4/5... Maybe just a little less. Judging modern Simpsons has thrown my grading curve out of whack.

gave his life for tourism Magnum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    The whole V-Giny thing was really strange... the joke in the name itself was surprisingly childish, I found,
    it was a parody of V'Ger from star trek: the motion picture. the vagina joke wrote itself over 30 years ago.

my head was kinda swimming while watching, so much was happening. i can't come to a solid conclusion after watching these the first time. i guess i kinda expect to like this a little better when i watch it again.
    Last edited by Magnum; 06-24-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tones
    I was born with a wah-wah pedal

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Star Trek homage!! I love this show so much.

Better than the first, I'd say, in terms of telling a story within its allotted time properly. Still, there was too much unrealized potential; Leela and Zapp were great but more could have easily been done with the other characters/the V-Giny. (And on the dealing with censorship note; Bender Should Not Be Allowed On Television. Really not sure what they would've done with this one.)

The set up was great and epic in its Futuramaesque way, so no problems with that; Zapp forcing himself into a one-man spacecraft and making Leela come with him and just having everyone else accept it was another good bit (as was the fact that the spaceship was totally invisible, so you just have the image of Leela sitting on Zapp and flying around like that... This was a very funny episode). After that though, I think I would have preferred it just be more Leela/Zapp than anything else. There's more to play around with there. Not sure if that's better than adding a different, still funny plot, but not realizing that one to its full potential. (So I guess, if these first two episodes are any indication, the writers have an insane amount of ideas and just want to get them all out there? That's probably a good sign actually.)

Leela falling for Zapp was a little quick but really, within the confines of the episode, satisfactory. She's dehydrated, just suffered some injuries, etc etc. (Is it easier to pull something off of someone else than to pull it off of you? I'd imagine so.) And man, what absolutely made - made - the episode for me was Zapp's explanations at the end, complete with his sort of whining, crying sob preceding each one, growing increasingly cartoonish. Fucking amazing moment.

But so were the Zapp act breaks. Zapp is such an awesome character. Can't be said enough.

So the story here was fulfilled well enough, and it was funnier. The show isn't phenomenal or anything yet, not again ... yet, but it's good. The pacing was ultimately better in this one, everything flowed very smoothly, it was hilarious with a much more solid joke production and success rate, and the V-Giny completely misinterpreting Zapp and Leela's relationship and forcing themselves to fornicate was a great ending.

Which probably leaves this as a good place to at least drop this note: They are doing an EXCELLENT job of handling Fry/Leela. They're obviously together now, as shown by Leela's reciprocation, and honestly, after all that before, it's really nice to see. But the show itself hasn't changed because of it. They've acknowledged it in and not neglected their continuously growing arc. We've had solid character development in Leela becoming more open and Fry becoming more mature, but not in vast leaps and bounds on either end. And their relationship doesn't dominate the episode at all; rather, it just adds onto it, see: Fry's much more vocal protests of everything involving Leela/Zapp than anyone else's.

Pretty good character use ultimately. Nixon is awesome. Good concept, solid execution, and funny funny funny. I've missed laughing out loud at this show. And they can still pull it off.

not helping that they're airing the why of fry right after the late night reruns of the new episodes, such a contrast

i know things will smooth out, though. the first act of this was a blast. but it ended in the worst scene in the history of the show

Blog Entries

i really liked the rapid-fire delivery of the jokes throughout but the zapp explaining the truth sequence went on too long and the ending seemed rather abrupt. um, what was vginy's motivation again?

Blog Entries

it was a v-chip satellite that crashed and merged with a surveillence(i think) satelite

Chris Elliott!!! He's reportedly in the upcoming "Lethal Inspection" episode, too! New semi-regular??!!! Mehopes!

Also, Josh Weinstein is a Co-Executive Producer... AMAZING! (Too bad Bill Oakley is stuck with The Cleveland Show... can't those two make up?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    it was a v-chip satellite that crashed and merged with a surveillence(i think) satelite
    but why did it want to watch zapp and leela sex? was it supposed to point out christian hypocrisy or something?

Blog Entries

yeah missed that

This was my favourite of the two episodes. It had a few problems, mainly relating to my dislike of the lowbrow jokes that Futurama has gained since the first couple movies ("who wants an orgy?", 'V-GINY', 'Pubic Library', Fry's "this looks like a good place to take a dump" [this should NEVER be in Futurama]). Also didn't really like Hermes' iPod comment. One of the biggest gripes I have with the show is the writers seems to forget there's supposed to be an entire thousand years between now and when the show is set - they did in the early years (the second coming of Jesus from When Aliens Attack), yet 99% of the time they constantly reference things from the 1900's/early 2000's. It'd be fun if, for once, they make some episodes based around stuff that was supposed to have happened during that extra millenium.

Though I thought Zapp was brilliant throughout, "Transcredible Exploits" was hilarious, as was some of the stupid stuff he said - "the heat thickens!", "nudery", "Mr. President... what the hell?!" etc. I also laughed at Leela's random tuba talk for some reason. It did fizzle out at the ending, and I'm wondering what it means re: Fry and Leela's relationship (possibly the writers' way of phasing it out?). A little touch I really liked was the first planet that was blown up, according to Farnsworth, was the nude beach planet from Bender's Big Score.

Overall, fairly enjoyable. And gotta say, it was nice seeing Groening receive a writing credit two episodes in a row (not to mention Josh Weinstein as a co-exec producer).

4/5
    Last edited by Zeus; Today at 12:00 PM. Reason: to fuck with you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    the Jonas Brothers make my gay, pedophile dick so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    but why did it want to watch zapp and leela sex? was it supposed to point out christian hypocrisy or something?
    Yeah, I wasn't totally clear on that either. I guess the Christian hypocrisy is an okay explanation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    It had a few problems, mainly relating to my dislike of the lowbrow jokes that Futurama has gained since the first couple movies ("who wants an orgy?", 'V-GINY', 'Pubic Library', Fry's "this looks like a good place to take a dump" [this should NEVER be in Futurama]).
    man i just don't get the huge objections these always recieve. lowbrow and dumb comedy doesn't have to equal lazy comedy no more than science references have to equal clever or smart comedy. yeah, the orgy line was lame because it was attempting to be shocking when it wasn't. but v-giny is a valid play on a pre-existing, unfortunately named, sci-fi plot vehicle. pubic library would be funny if it weren't such an old old old joke. and fry's dump line wasn't there just because poop is supposed to be funny, but for fry making a tremendously awkward, surprising and crass entrance.

also add to that how words like pubic, vagina and "dump" are... well yeah pretty cute.
    Last edited by Magnum; 05-26-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Blog Entries

the episode had some problems but the payoff of zapp trying to explain his motivations to leela was worth it. funniest scene of the revivial so far.

Blog Entries

man, the pondering chamber was a new classic

Thread Information