View Poll Results: How would you rate "Judge Me Tender"?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: "A lovely, lovely time was had by all. What a wonderful surprise."

6 5.22%
  • 4/5: "You've toughed it out and performed almost perfectly."

20 17.39%
  • 3/5: "Mediocre, boring, but better than most of the crap."

39 33.91%
  • 2/5: "Dreadful, absolutely dreadful."

27 23.48%
  • 1/5: "Ugh, that was awful! I hope that was bad joke."

14 12.17%
  • 0/5: "Security!"

9 7.83%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: R&R: MABF15 - "Judge Me Tender"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

R&R: MABF15 - "Judge Me Tender"

5/23/10. Season Finale
    When Moe discovers a hidden talent for judging contests, he is approached by a television agent to join the American Idol judges' panel. Moe flies to Los Angeles where he tours the Fox lot and receives some sage career advice. Meanwhile, Homer drives Marge crazy when he begins hanging around the house.

Homer, after getting back from golfing --

"I'm the Tiger Woods of sex"

LOL best joke ever

...and I facepalm so hard Little Nellie Kelly's Avatar

I think this episode turned out well enough. I was skeptical that the American Idol plot would turn out good, but I was somewhat wrong….I was also skeptical of the Homer/Marge subplot. A hilarious moment in the episode was when Homer and Marge are together for the first time in awhile, and Homer shocks Marge by going everywhere she goes. Another moment that got a chuckle out of me was when Lisa had Moe buy band candy in a thought bubble. I liked the featuring of the song “Sweet Home Alabama,” which isn’t featured quite often. I also got a chuckle of Homer swallowing the water from the water heater, and having to spit it out on Flanders. I also got a somewhat big laugh out of Ralph saying about Simon Cowell, which is as follows: “He’s a BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.” When Moe got to the judge’s panel, I couldn’t agree more with the portrayals. As for the subplot review, it turned out bad. It had somewhat p0tential, but then after Marge didn’t like Homer at the house (which Marge, in the classic era, loved), I lost the liking for it. Otherwise, I didn’t like the ending to the subplot or the main plot, so I think my episode rating would get a 3/5.

Overall Rating: 3/5.

4/5. One of the top 5 episodes of the season and a really good way to end off Season 21. Hope this bodes well for Season 22.
    Kids, let me tell you about another so-called ``wicked'' guy. He had long hair and some wild ideas. He didn't always do what other people thought was right. And that man's name was...
    I forget. But the point is... I forget that, too. Marge, you know what I'm talking about. He used to drive that blue car?

-- Homer's parable of the guy in the blue car, ``Homer the Heretic''

Ralph: I Won! I Won!
    Principal Skinner: No Ralph this means you're failing English
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.

You keep at it Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was better than I anticipated. I liked the "band candy" jokes. I give this a 3/5
    The original Favorite and least favorite by season
    Shorts: 1: The Pacifier Watching TV 2: World War III Maggie's Brain 3: Bathtime Scary Movie
    Episodes: 1: Krusty Gets Busted The Telltale Head 2: Bart Gets an F The War of the Simpsons 3: Homer at the Bat Separate Vocations 4: Marge vs. the Monorail Krusty Gets Kancelled 5: Cape Feare Lady Bouvier's Lover 6: Homer Badman Lisa on Ice 7: King-Size Homer Lisa the Iconoclast 8: Homer's Enemy Homer's Phobia 9: Bart Carny The Trouble with Trillions 10: Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo Homer Simpson in: "Kidney Trouble" 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner? Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder 12: HOMЯ Tennis the Menace 13: Tales from the Public Domain She of Little Faith 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little Helter Shelter 15: The Ziff Who Came to Dinner Bart-Mangled Banner 16: A Star Is Torn She Used to Be My Girl 17: My Fair Laddy The Italian Bob 18: The Haw-Hawed Couple The Boys of Bummer 19: Funeral for a Fiend All About Lisa 20: Gone Maggie Gone The Good, the Sad and the Drugly 21: The Bob Next Door The Color Yellow 22: Donnie Fatso Love is a Many Strangled Thing 23: The Falcon and the D'ohman A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again 24: Hardly Kirk-ing What Animated Women Want 25: The War of Art What to Expect When Bart's Expecting

Voted "Best Taste" in NHC awards. Therefore, I'm right, you're wrong.

Neat. A couple recent news jokes. Fan on the field getting Tazered and BP stopping an oil leak. Too bad the 2nd one was ruined with a voice that was off. Why didn't they just re-record the whole bit to avoid that?
    Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uh, this was an episode that was 97% crap, but it had two moments that made my laugh, once cuz it was actually funny and once due a coincidental WTF? moment.

The LOL came with Ralph going off about Simon and the WTF laugh was from Simon's "Security" which I picked for the 0/5 option before the episode aired.

Anyway, I'll give it a 2/5 out of being generous.
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 05-23-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, that could have been a whole hell of a lot worse...in fact, the worst moment for me was that random scene with Lisa and SLH (I did miss the first few minutes of the episode, came in when moe took the judge's table), but overall the main plot and the subplot both worked fairly well...a couple of overextended jokes, and Homer's joke about plumbers was reused from "All's Fair in Oven War", but overall not bad at all. I know many have claimed this season as one of the worst ever, but I enjoyed it and I'm gonna miss the show this summer. 13/15

Also...did Bart have any lines in the part I missed? Because I didn't see him have any
    Living In a Rock and Roll Fantasy--my music review blog
    Most recent review--The Who's My Generation (12/15)

Blog Entries

terrible. there was absolutely nothing i liked. Moe's plot was way too boring for me to get into, the list about all the reality shows was mindlessly dumb, homer and marge's subplot was OK but there wasn't anything funny, the "Band candy" thing in the thought bubbles was dumb... the only thing i liked was Ralph's "He's a (bleep)", but that wasn't funny enough to raise my grade from an F. Overall, third least favorite of the season, and since my other least favorites of the season are also my least favorites of the series as a whole, this ranks as my third least favorite of the series. What a horrible end to a bad season, hopefully next season will be good

Blog Entries

Well that went as expected.

1/5.

I smiled at a couple shows that that talent agent listed.

Junior Camper

1/5 Second worst episode of the season.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

Just a very average episode, nothing special. they really should have aired the Bob one for the finale instead.

D+ 3/5 for the poll

You keep at it Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually thought the Ralph bleep was a joke the fans would hate. I laughed, but was more of a what did he just say??? laugh. Because in "Homer the Whopper," many people hated Homer being bleeped out.

4 of 5 "doctors" recommend bartyboy's Avatar

I guess we can all be happy this season is over.

3/5

Bart had lines in the beginning of the episode and at the Ugliest Dog Competition, Animal.

Oh, and I agree that I'll miss the show this summer and I enjoyed most of this season.

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: hughes

The Ralph joke is the type of thing I'm not sure if I'll enjoy in the future but was at least funny the first time. The band candy thing appearing in thought bubbles twice comprised the other moment I quite liked.

The rest? Pretty horrible like I expected. Subpar gags a plenty (including one of the longest list jokes ever), terrible premise, and a story that goes all the over the place and when it finally settles on something it's pretty much over. Not as bad as the Greatest Story Ever D'ohed, but trash all the same. 1/5 (F)
    To view various lists about my Simpsons opinions, click the link below.

http://www.nohomers.net/usernote.php...ewuser&u=27253

Now that had to be my least favorite episode of the season.
    Every thing I loathed about a Simpsons episode. A line or two was funny though.
    I'm sorry gotta give this one a 0 which isn't normal for me to do.
    I'll give my whole review later.

Bart V.S Bob!
    Bart fan!

Card Wars super Amadeus zartok-35's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice to see the great Dan Greany back once more, but this was dirty dirt compared to "Scuse' me while I miss the sky". Not interesting or engaging at all. The fact the Dan wrote it makes it just that much better than the rest, though.

I enjoyed Lisa helping Santa's Little Helper with his depressions about being ugly.

Seasons 1-9 - Classic era
    10-12 - Scully era
    13-16 - Silver age
    16.5-17 - The shit abyss
    18-24 - Zombie Simpsons

My least favorite episode of s21 has to be To Surveil with Love. I just didn't enjoy it at all.

3/5

Fortunately, the American Idol crossover was not a huge part of this since it was mostly in the climax. The episode at least did a good job at using the subplot to help coincide with the main plot that goes in a separate direction.

We had a scene where Ralph Wiggum was speaking and he gets bleeped. We have had a total of three episodes during this season in which a character is bleeped and the bleeping sound comes from out of nowhere as though it is censorship. I am now wondering if this is a new trend.

I noticed in the opening intro that Lisa was playing a trumpet instead of her saxophone. Are we going to keep getting her playing different instruments?

Bart's chalkboard gag was about the series finale of Lost. I thought it would be more fitting to have one that is about the controversial eleventh-hour decision of NBC cancelling Law and Order therefore preventing it from beating Gunsmoke for longest running Prime Time drama.
    Last edited by biffwestwood; 05-23-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Oh, I remember the clarinet! I dearly hope that they are not going to have her playing different instruments every week...if they do, I'll cut the show off of my life.

For three months.

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    Nice to see the great Dan Greany back once more, but this was dirty dirt compared to "Scuse' me while I miss the sky". Not interesting or engaging at all. The fact the Dan wrote it makes it just that much better than the rest, though.
    That the same Dan Greaney wrote Summer of 4 Ft. 2 is just insane, but I guess we should be used to the lackluster stuff after Bart to the Future and Bonfire of the Manatees.

Well, it was a helluva lot better than last years season finale, hands down.

3.5/5
    Last edited by Snaked; 05-23-2010 at 06:25 PM.

The reality is that both your post and his should be bannable offenses. Pure ignorance about the show's current-day content is just as offensive as wearing blinders to mediocrity and openly praising everything.
    - Brad Lascelle,
    even if I don't agree on a post like mine in which I did not watch a new episode of OFF and still give it a negative rating should result in banning

Magnetic Typo

I was most happy about seeing Krusty once again being a hack / lousy entertainer at the beginning. I felt like they haven't used him that way in awhile, which is the thing that makes him so classic in my eyes.

I was worried that the "American Idol" thing would screw up the whole episode, but not only did they reduce it only a couple minutes, but they immediately slammed Fox right afterwards to end both the episode and the season. So I'll forgive them.

Blog Entries

Oh. I don't hold this against the episode or anything, but was this the first couch gag to not feature all the family? (I might exclude Maggie from always having to be there, though.) It was just Bart and Homer puppets as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...forum View Post
    D+ 3/5 for the poll
    uh

4 of 5 "doctors" recommend bartyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the real melvin View Post
    Oh. I don't hold this against the episode or anything, but was this the first couch gag to not feature all the family? (I might exclude Maggie from always having to be there, though.) It was just Bart and Homer puppets as I recall.

Blog Entries

ah. thx

might do something not nice Jims's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked the episode. It wasn't the most mind-blowing thing they've ever done, but I enjoyed it enough.

1. Surprisingly, my favorite part was the Homer and Marge subplot. It had a good deal of observational humor about having Homer around the house. They did get a bit over-the-top with some of his antics, but nothing too egregious. I think Homer was characterized just right in this subplot. He could've been written irritable and angry about being home, but they instead went the "helpful but misguided" approach. It was a good decision.

2. I liked that they included that short scene between Lisa and Santa's Little Helper. It was a case of the writers acknowledging and wrapping up a loose end from the opening set piece. The scene proved that you can wrap up a loose end in a quick, efficient way. It doesn't really advance the story that much, but it makes the substory with Santa's Little Helper more complete and less pointless.

3. The main plot fared a little worse. Making Moe into a Master Judge type I can kind of buy... Moe is a very judgmental character, so it works alright within his character. Still, it feels like a strange concept for an episode in general. Of course, we pretty much know they wrote the episode backwards, starting with American Idol and then working to find a way to get there. So the plot choice felt like it was manipulated a bit much.

4. I predicted the Simon sabotage angle in advance, but I'm not sure if that's the episode's fault. They thankfully didn't have Simon laughing maniacally in the background or giving shifty eyes or anything. The only real clue would be if you really thought about Simon's motivations in the episode. Of course, the ending is a little confusing since Simon is supposedly leaving American Idol after this season... But whatever. Let's not throw American Idol continuity into this mess.

5. The Ralph Wiggum joke was hilarious. Please don't ruin the joke by doing it in the future, writers.

6. Jokes were above average by this season's standards. I liked the fakeout joke with the sand castles a lot, the Ralph Wiggum joke mentioned above, and the first "selling candy in the thought bubble" joke. Those three were my favorites, but a lot of the jokes made me smile. The candy one, in particular, was a nice absurd joke. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I didn't like the final one as much with Simon... Seemed like a bit of overkill... But it wasn't awful or anything.

7. Short couch gag. Yay.

Overall, I'll give it a generous 4/5. I voted 3 and was going to give it a 3.5, but as I wrote the review, it reminded me that they did a lot of small stuff right in the episode.
    Last edited by Jims; 05-23-2010 at 05:48 PM.

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

Well, that was mostly aimless.

I thought much more of the American Idol thing was going to be featured in the episode. And, though I hate the show, I'm actually frustrated that it wasn't. Because it was really the only place for them to go in the Moe-judging-things plot they had going (and man, you look at that and it just sounds so... stupid). Or AI could've been scrapped all together (but then, where is the draw?!) and it could've been a Moe comeuppance thing. But no, it was all about AI, so at least get to the fucking AI and have more in it. Not just a brief mockery of the three judges that aren't Simon Cowell (I don't watch this show. I don't know what they do. This isn't funny to me. A good parody is going to be funny for people who don't know the original material, and extra-funny for those who do. This didn't) and then ~Simon's sabotage of Moe~.

To which, as Jims pointed out, some actual explanation for motivation would've really, really helped. Yeah, Simon is leaving AI after this season. I don't go anywhere near the show and I knew that; I figured a lot of people would. So the "I don't want you stealing my bit" motivation really fell flat. Also, it was pretty lazy. Though I'm not sure what they could've done to produce something better. Though the whole AI plot probably shouldn't have even been done in the first place, because yeah, the episode took forever to get to it and by the time it did I really don't care anymore.

The SLH bit was... moronic. I miss it when it was a rule of the show that animals shouldn't act like people, they should act like animals. A dog wouldn't give a shit if it was called ugly. I would've much preferred to see SLH acting like his usual dopey, adorable self, but hey, at least it was really, really short. But it did get way too cartoony for my tastes to actually feel the need to have to cheer the dog up. Ug.

The Homer/Marge subplot was probably the best bit of the whole episode. Homer's sudden pop ups and constant presence really worked, and it was actually a pretty good exploration between Homer and Marge and their relationship. So great job on that one.

Other things that got me were the quick real-life references, such as the taser or the BP remark. Ralph had a great bit there. The band candy bit was introduced awkwardly but has awesome callbacks. Hell, even the blackboard gag was good (don't watch Lost, so had no qualms about watching this on time at all).

So basically, sometimes (or rather, often) I question whether or not the writers are capable of telling a proper story anymore, but there were a solid handful of good moments. Not that great of an episode though.

Thread Information